Page 4 of 4

Re: Did you like the Megaman cartoon?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:25 pm
by Mordum
Pharaohman is a total baller, forgot to call her.

Re: Did you like the Megaman cartoon?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:51 pm
by Axel T Rat
Depends on the episode really. It had silly moments, but it did still feel like a Mega Man show and felt like it was trying at least. I can imagine most of us still wonder how things would have turned out if it got another season. Maybe have Proto Man make a full "face" turn? Get some MM6-7 Robot Masters? Have Bass or Zero show up? One can only wonder. Also, Scott McNeil's still the definitive Wily voice I picture in my head for the most part.

Re: Did you like the Megaman cartoon?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:08 pm
by Gauntlet101010
Good place to make a good non-introduction post? Sure.

I missed the cartoon when I was at the age where I could still just kinda get into it; I only saw all of it after it came out on DVD. Some episodes were better than others.

I have to say, I enjoy the adaption decay a lot. It's like a case study in how a Japanese franchise can be Americanised and in that way I find it absolutely fascinating. At the same time, I feel like the heart of the franchise remained intact. I feel that Dr. Wily, Light, and Megaman's characters all remained relatively true in their personalities in relation to what the games intended. Megaman's a goody-goody, Light's boring and good natured, and Wily's a kook.

In contrast to most, I like that Proto is a primary antagonist. Although I wish he were a more serious threat and less of a snarky bully in terms of personality. It's too bad the series missed MM7 and Bass, though.

I think the series could have definitely used a bit more continuity. I mean ... even just a little! Maybe have Brain Bot return or a Robot Master develop a special rivalry against Megaman. I also think the series could have used a bit more "epic" storylines. They have access to the RMs from MM 1 - 5 ... and never once did Wily take all the toys out of the box to attack Megaman. The TV shows of my childhood all did that, but they did it mostly to sell toys. Still ... a two part epic season finale would not be uncalled for.

I also question their merchandising choices. I mean ... why did Brightman get a toy and not Pharaohman? Drillman and not Napalmman? It's like they were didn't want kids to buy their stuff at all!

All in all, though, it's kind of mediocre with only a few highlights. I enjoy it, but mostly as a case study.

Re: Did you like the Megaman cartoon?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:29 pm
by LBD_Nytetrayn
Gauntlet101010 wrote:I think the series could have definitely used a bit more continuity. I mean ... even just a little! Maybe have Brain Bot return or a Robot Master develop a special rivalry against Megaman. I also think the series could have used a bit more "epic" storylines. They have access to the RMs from MM 1 - 5 ... and never once did Wily take all the toys out of the box to attack Megaman. The TV shows of my childhood all did that, but they did it mostly to sell toys. Still ... a two part epic season finale would not be uncalled for.


Some armor and vehicles made recurring appearances after being introduced, at least.

I also question their merchandising choices. I mean ... why did Brightman get a toy and not Pharaohman? Drillman and not Napalmman? It's like they were didn't want kids to buy their stuff at all!


Gimmicks, I'd imagine. Big lightbulb is more toyetic than red laser. As for Napalm Man, he never appeared in the show at all, save for a blink-and-you'll-miss-it shot in the opening.

The reason for that is widely believed to have to do with Napalm Man's more warlike nature, or more specifically, the whole use of "napalm" in general.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Re: Did you like the Megaman cartoon?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:41 pm
by Gauntlet101010
LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Gimmicks, I'd imagine. Big lightbulb is more toyetic than red laser. As for Napalm Man, he never appeared in the show at all, save for a blink-and-you'll-miss-it shot in the opening.

The reason for that is widely believed to have to do with Napalm Man's more warlike nature, or more specifically, the whole use of "napalm" in general.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Yeah, I realize the reasons behind it. I just don't think it worked out very well and that there were better options. Obviously, I feel both Pharaoh and Napalm should have been used more. Not to mention that headscratching absence of Skullman.

Everyone has their favourites, but it'd be smarter to feature the real cool designs over a guy like Brightman or Drillman. I get that this probably came from trying to target a specific audience, but I think they went the wrong way there.

Re: Did you like the Megaman cartoon?

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:20 am
by LBD_Nytetrayn
Gauntlet101010 wrote:
LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Gimmicks, I'd imagine. Big lightbulb is more toyetic than red laser. As for Napalm Man, he never appeared in the show at all, save for a blink-and-you'll-miss-it shot in the opening.

The reason for that is widely believed to have to do with Napalm Man's more warlike nature, or more specifically, the whole use of "napalm" in general.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Yeah, I realize the reasons behind it. I just don't think it worked out very well and that there were better options. Obviously, I feel both Pharaoh and Napalm should have been used more. Not to mention that headscratching absence of Skullman.

Everyone has their favourites, but it'd be smarter to feature the real cool designs over a guy like Brightman or Drillman. I get that this probably came from trying to target a specific audience, but I think they went the wrong way there.


Possibly/probably. In either case, it could be argued whether it was wise to market a toy with a cool look and no screen time versus one who actually has characterization.

Hmm, I wonder if there were even any designs for Skull Man...

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Re: Did you like the Megaman cartoon?

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:01 am
by Gauntlet101010
LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:
Gauntlet101010 wrote:
LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Gimmicks, I'd imagine. Big lightbulb is more toyetic than red laser. As for Napalm Man, he never appeared in the show at all, save for a blink-and-you'll-miss-it shot in the opening.

The reason for that is widely believed to have to do with Napalm Man's more warlike nature, or more specifically, the whole use of "napalm" in general.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Yeah, I realize the reasons behind it. I just don't think it worked out very well and that there were better options. Obviously, I feel both Pharaoh and Napalm should have been used more. Not to mention that headscratching absence of Skullman.

Everyone has their favourites, but it'd be smarter to feature the real cool designs over a guy like Brightman or Drillman. I get that this probably came from trying to target a specific audience, but I think they went the wrong way there.


Possibly/probably. In either case, it could be argued whether it was wise to market a toy with a cool look and no screen time versus one who actually has characterization.

Hmm, I wonder if there were even any designs for Skull Man...

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Maybe I'm not being clear. What I'm saying is, they should have gotten more screen time and characterization because they look cool on top of saying they should have gotten toys because they look cool. I feel like upping the cool factor overall would have helped given that the series has already changed the main cast members.

It'd be interesting to see what character art was made for the series, especially in seeing what art was made for Robot Masters. I suspect there wasn't any art made for Skull or any of the missing robot masters. Just because they vary so wildly when divided by game. For example: obviously Napalmman has a redesign early on, but it's also clear Gravity was just MM5's Gravity and Wave was just MM5's Wave.

Speaking of which, I feel like they could have gone further with the redesigns. Many designs were simply the classic designs with new proportions which makes them look weird in a bad way. And lazy. I can't remember exactly which robots where introduced when; I want to say Season 2 got lazy with it but I can't say for certain.

Re: Did you like the Megaman cartoon?

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:03 pm
by El Veinte
When it first aired, I was extremely disappointed with this cartoon. In my imagination I saw vast potential for a Mega Man series. I wanted something with more respect for science fiction, with more adventure, with an ongoing story... I wanted it to be more like this comic, actually. What we got my 13 year old self considered a flimsy excuse to make a string of terrible jokes and an ongoing contest to determine the most ridiculous episode premise a cartoon show can achieve. That said, I watched the thing religiously anyway, always hoping that it could become more like the thing I wanted in my head. It's hard to continue watching a show for so long without eventually developing a certain endearment, so I finally wound up accepting it for the goofy thing it was, and acknowledging its interesting place in the franchise's history.

All these years later, memes like Gutsman's you-know and this amazing tumblr has probably redeemed the entire series for me. I don't remember ever getting a laugh from the show when I was younger (just a lot of scoffing and groaning), but the timing of these screenshots and the absolute absurdity of the situations almost always gets a chuckle out of me now. It probably helps that my bitterness about it is long gone.

Re: Did you like the Megaman cartoon?

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 3:42 pm
by MetalSkulkBane
Some funny scenes from this cartoon http://superfightingrobot-megaman.tumblr.com/

Re: Did you like the Megaman cartoon?

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 3:44 pm
by SonicSoul
That is literally the same link El Viente posted above you.

Re: Did you like the Megaman cartoon?

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 3:45 pm
by MetalSkulkBane
SonicSoul wrote:That is literally the same link El Viente posted above you.


(facepalm) fail :oops:.

Re: Did you like the Megaman cartoon?

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:55 pm
by SonicSoul
MetalSkulkBane wrote:
SonicSoul wrote:That is literally the same link El Viente posted above you.


(facepalm) fail :oops:.


It's okay. :)

It's double the funniness.

Re: Did you like the Megaman cartoon?

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:35 pm
by Morgil
While i enjoyed watching it as a kid, seeing it now as an adult, i don't think it holds up. It just feels a bit too cliche compared to other cartoons at the time. The only part that i think still holds up is the incredibly awesome Intro.