Need help with an OC character for Sonic reboot.

Forum dedicated to fan-creations of all kinds from all related titles. (Sonic series. BumbleKing Comics)

Need help with an OC character for Sonic reboot.

Postby Xabin » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:49 pm

Thinking of making a Sonic-based OC to ship with Rotor in the new series, since I'm not going to be shipping Rotor/Razor. I don't have a name or a species (but it has to be something fairly exotic, not your standard foxes/squirrels/rabbits/hedgehogs/etc.), so that's something you'll help me with, but I do have a general idea of what he's going to be like, in history and personality, and how he'd interact with Rotor:

He was a kid when Eggman took over his land, and when his father rolled over and joined the Egg Army, he dragged the kid in, with him. Neither of them are particularly high ranking soldiers in the Egg Army (dunno which one, but thinking one with a more lax environment, like Cassia/Clove's faction), but his father is a bit of a scientist and mechanic, so he's gained some privilege that he wouldn't have gotten as a grunt. He, himself, is more of a grunt, but because of his relation to his father, he got special perks, as well, like extra bits he could get upgraded, which he took advantage of for personal reasons because "What the heck? Waste not, want not". He's pretty arrogant and strongheaded, resists authority on occasion, and likes to go off on his own to do stuff, but he's got a good heart and longs to escape the Army, whenever he can.

While he doesn't meet Rotor right off the bat, a recent battle between his faction and the Freedom Fighters somehow causes him to get a hold of a more pocket-sized version of Tails' Miles Electric, and instead of giving it to his superior, he keeps it, fiddling with it to see what he can do with it. He winds up tapping into Rotor's Omnitool, and uses it to communicate with the walrus, eventually growing a friendship with him through their shared history. He ends up inadvertently meeting Rotor soon afterward, after he's discovered by a superior and they decide to use his indiscretion to lure the Freedom Fighters into a trap. From there... that's a secret (mainly because I don't know where to take it, from there), but it should be fun.

So, with that out of the way, species and name, what do you guys think I should give him?
Xabin
BumbleCitizen

Re: Need help with an OC character for Sonic reboot.

Postby faceclams » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:25 pm

I'd like to see a snake character who isn't evil and doesn't have robotic arms. When they all need robot limbs to function it makes you wonder how the heck their species survived so long without arms.
faceclams
BumbleNewbie

Postby Xabin » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:05 pm

Well, if he starts out as an Egg Army soldier, than he starts out evil, or at least antagonistic. And no robotic limbs... considering that this is supposed to be an eventual romantic interest for Rotor, I'm not sure about that, honestly.

Someone on another board I posted this on suggested a horse, since there were only like one or two seen in the old continuity, but I'm not sure about that, since the character got to make some personal enhancements to himself through the cybernetics, along with the standard stuff, and I don't see how a horse would need those kinds of enhancements (like superstrength or a reinforced spine or whatnot). I do want to keep it to an exotic or otherwise unused species in the Sonic universe, both old and new continuity, so I'm keeping the horse idea in mind, but I'd like some other suggestions on what he should be.

Finally, that same guy who suggested the horse also suggested something celtic for his name. I like that idea, I'll have to research it and see what I can come up with.
Xabin
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mobotropolis » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:50 pm

Erm, that snake Trey Scales had arms. The Original Freedom Fighter-guy.

Anyhow ... I am completely against the concept of creating a character for the sole purpose of shipping them with another character, official or otherwise. Since you are trying to grow the character into being something more than Rotor's arm-puppet then I will offer feedback and constructive criticism.

and I don't see how a horse would need those kinds of enhancements (like superstrength or a reinforced spine or whatnot).

Enhancements among the Dark Egg Legion seem to fall into three categories:

- Purely Cosmetic (Conquering Storm or Lien-da post-kablooey)
- Serve a Medical Need (Cassia, pre-reboot Bunnie, and her Uncle was implied to have had that)
- Serve a Need to make them Physically Stronger (The vast majority of the Dark Legion)

Maybe you should think about why your character would need cybernetics and work backwards from there to create a believable backstory. Then maybe think of the type of character you want them to be. If they're arrogant maybe they got cybernetics to as compensation for a perceived personal weakness. If they're mean maybe they got intimidating looking cybernetics to make themselves look more tough. Maybe they actually do have a medical need for the cybernetics which makes them sympathetic, but the circumstances of their situation have made them bitter.

There are like ten different ways you can do this.

I do want to keep it to an exotic or otherwise unused species in the Sonic universe

When I think under-represented species in the Sonic Universe I think ...

Insects
Marine Life (until very recently)
Hooved Animals (Horses, Giraffes, Sheep, Deer)

If you want to follow the post-reboot trend of exotic animals you may have to do some side-thinking to uncover an unusual looking animal. For example you could think of doing a Canid but there are so many things under that. Even if you do a dog have to remember there are over a hundred different breeds of dog. So maybe think of the Kingdom of the type of mobian you want to work with and then narrow it down from there?

considering that this is supposed to be an eventual romantic interest for Rotor

I fail to see why your possible love interest would need robotic parts when Rotor doesn't have them.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby Xabin » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:30 pm

Well, it's mainly because if a snake in Mobius doesn't have any arms, naturally, it makes it awkward for hugging and stuff that isn't just the guy coiling around Rotor.

Anyway, I always try to give more depth to my characters than just having them fit a niche in the plot or someone's life. Like, with the version of Cobar I made for pre-reboot Rotor, I made him a cut-off scout for the Dark Legion and had him with his own agenda involving said Legion while seducing Rotor. I even have an unfinished story of him getting involved in politics over Haven that don't involve Rotor at all.

Hoofed animals sounds like another possible vote for horse, which I'll keep in mind. I've got an idea of him having shortcomings related to his species that he decided to take advantage of with the cybernetics, but I can't go into great detail here, for reasons.

Another idea I have that might solidify his story is having him work in the electronics department of his Army faction; have another soldier steal a Miles Electric from the Freedom Fighters, and pass it to him to figure out a way of hacking into it so they can spy on their transmissions. Makes more sense than him getting it and keeping it for himself, and I'm a huge stickler for continuity and logic in these things, so I think I'll go with that.
Xabin
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mobotropolis » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:52 am

Actually, I was thinking a giraffe with a decked out telescopic neck. :P

Second thought was a goat.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby Xabin » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:02 pm

Ah. Well, I was thinking maybe a Shetland Pony, with cybernetic enhancements to be bigger and taller and whatnot to compensate for his size or something.
Xabin
BumbleCitizen

Postby Xabin » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:16 pm

Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to put in a few more things into this character for review.

I'm thinking of naming him DAIMHÍN (pronounced Daw-vin), which means "little deer", to emphasize his small stature. Thinking of giving him a sort of semi-exoskeleton that enhances his strength and makes him taller and extends his reach, but he can ditch it when not in use or when damaged. He's got a few cosmetic enhancements to make up for other shortcomings, but I'll let your imagination dwell on that. He's rather punkish, but not destructive or dumb; he's smart, but not as smart as Rotor, only smart enough to get the general gist of the more technical aspects of discussions. He's impatient and independent, wanting to go on his own, but kinda stuck in the Egg Army because of his dad. Not sure which Egg Army he'd be best suited for; I'm thinking one more lax in its structure, like Cassia/Clove's team, but definitely not one like Tundra's. With the suit, he matches Rotor's stature, but without it, he's about half Rotor's height. As stated before, he's placed in the electronics and communications department of the army, and his first story involves him contacting Rotor through an attempt to hack into a confiscated Miles Electric. The fact that he's usually left alone to his own devices during his tasks makes it easier for him to keep a friendship with Rotor over the Electric, than having to hide it so much from his superiors. Not sure what I want for him, at the end; flip-flopping on having him be kicked out of the Egg Army and join the Freedom Fighters as a probationary member, or sticking with the Egg Army as a sort of mole for them.
Xabin
BumbleCitizen

Return to The BumbleKreative Korner