Ghosts of the Future, anybody?

Forum dedicated to fan-creations of all kinds from all related titles. (Sonic series. BumbleKing Comics)

Ghosts of the Future, anybody?

Postby EvanStanley » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:39 pm

Hi everybody,

I don't really feel qualified to be doing this, but I've just got to ask... Has anybody here read my Sonic fan-comic, "Ghosts of the Future"? I've been writing and drawing it for 5-6 years now, since I was 14.

This forum's probably got the biggest group of Sonic comic experts on the 'web, so I'd love to hear what you guys think. Constructive criticism is wonderful. I'll also answer questions-- some parts can be a bit confusing.

Here's the first page: http://evanstanley.deviantart.com/art/Ghosts-of-the-Future-01-65734808

(remember, I started a long time ago! Also, it's a bit on the dark side, so be warned)

Enjoy!
EvanStanley
BumbleCitizen

Re: Ghosts of the Future, anybody?

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:43 pm

I've read a few pages, can't remember how many, but I think it's pretty good I only haven't read all of it due to crappy Dial-Up.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Daluna13 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:45 pm

I haven't read the whole thing but what I've seen its pretty good. I am confused on why NICOLE is so evil in it though
Daluna13
BumbleNoble

Postby Tsurugi » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:55 pm

:D I was wondering when this would be brought up. I've read up to most current page and I really like the story. Especially the story with the ice cream involved XD , as well as incorporating The Secret Rings into the story before it.
Interesting choices in making some characters in opposite roles, eg: Nicole and Rouge as antagonists. Honestly, I can't really say anything bad about it. The only thing I found initially odd was the style, but I got used to it. It's a nice story and I look forward to reading more :mrgreen:

Also, @Daluna13 since it's sort of an alternate world of Sonic, some people will act differently than in the one we know, in this case the Archie comic world
Tsurugi
BumbleNoble

Postby EvanStanley » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:00 pm

Daluna13 wrote: I am confused on why NICOLE is so evil in it though

In the comic's universe she has a completely different origin from Archie's Nicole, which fits with the SEGA canon... The original villain of GOTF was a fancharacter I invented in the olden days, before I'd even read any Archie stuff... Nicolai the Lynx. Awkward. I didn't like him very much, so when I discovered Nicole I just switched 'em. Her presence has really made the story mesh for me, and I'm looking forward to fleshing her out as a full member of the cast.
EvanStanley
BumbleCitizen

Postby Striker » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:03 pm

Ive read it all from start to the current page. It is the best Sonic fan comic ive ever read. I think the best story was the Secret Rings story. Ive never played Secret Rings but you made me want to play it. Keep up the good work. Good luck and Godspeed.
Striker
BumbleClan

Postby Diablo » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:13 pm

I read it, i was amazed and i love it. currently the best Sonic Fan fiction i know.
Diablo
BumbleNoble

Postby Illustrious Q » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:01 pm

I've read the whole thing. It's absolutely amazing to see the quality of your art increase and change over the course of the series.
Illustrious Q
BumbleCult

Postby Mr Saxon » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:17 pm

Read it from the beginning & absolutely loved every minute of it. The Secret Rings adaptation is my favourite but I love the way she incorporated Unleashed and the Werehog into the series so well ^^
Mr Saxon
BumbleKnight

Postby FritzyBeat » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:16 pm

I've read every issue, and let me tell you... I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!
Sure, in a couple of the first issues the writing was a little iffy (no offense Evan), But since then, its progressed a long way very quickly! I eagerly wait every new page with excitement!
Spoiler: show
I WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS TO SILVER'S SISTER!!! :shock:
FritzyBeat
BumbleClan

Postby TheAmazingSock » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:32 pm

Ah, yes. I love this fan-comic, it's my favorite. :) Your art style is very unique, which is always a plus. (Especially considering with a franchise like Sonic, it's very hard to come up with new styles.) One of the things that's always caught my eye is your coloring, i can't figure out how you do it! :D (Then again, I probably use a differnt program, GIMP?)

Issue 7 is my current favorite. :D I've been wicked into Sonic Unleashed lately, which is probably part of it, but saving the world with ice cream! Glorious!
TheAmazingSock
BumbleFan

Postby Swifty Mc Quickness » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:29 am

Ah, this comic. Found this......Around 2008-2009. Shaped my 10/11 year old mind and introduced me to the MG, and was probably a major factor in introducing me to the Sonic fandom in the first place. As a kid, I was mesmerized by the fantastic art that got better as the series went along. The storytelling started off strong, but got much better as it went along. The premise was a great one, and, while the series started off a bit slow, once the Secret Rings story hit, the story really picked up and got a lot more interesting.

It's incredibly interesting to see things evolve and grow, and that's pretty much what this story embodies. This comic grew into it's own and began to feel a lot more natural. The writing especially grew, and at the current point of the comic, it feels a lot more like a darker extension of SEGA Sonic or Archie, than the sorta "DARK I AM A GRITTY WEBCOMIC ABOUT SONIC BLARRGH LOOK AT HOW DARK I AM" you'd get from the first page. :P

(the very first page is a bloody Sonic stepping over corpses of his friends on the emerald shrine. I got a serious dark vibe first impression, but the comic wasn't as dark as you'd think at first glance

It's one of the best non-comedy fancomics I've read. I've sort of forgotten about it lately, but my interest rekindled. My only real gripe is so minor, petty, and just a personal problem that bugs me that it's not even a valid criticism. ...Well, you draw Sonic characters with necks. :P And, that's so minor and petty. Any problems that I had with the comic were in the first few pages. All problems were gone by the third or fourth issue. It's all around a great comic, with great art, characterization, coloring, and writing. It really is one that sticks with you. Glad to have been a fan of this back in the day, and it was fun to read the comic again to write this. Looking forward to more.
Swifty Mc Quickness
BumbleKnight

Postby EvanStanley » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:17 pm

EvanStanley
BumbleCitizen

Postby SimonSays » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:52 pm

-sees GOTF thread-
-goes to reply to thread-
-bada boom new comic page appears!-

I love it when the world is convenient to me.

Hmm, I've been reading GOTF since... 2009, I think? (Has it really been that long?!) I'm still amazed that you've been able to keep up with it for so many years, and the quality of the art and writing just keeps getting better and better. I'm a particular fan of all the cool effects you use throughout it, too awesome!

But jeez, I need to learn your secret to how you can manage doing so much work so fast!
SimonSays
BumbleNoble

Postby EvanStanley » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:07 pm

Oh to heck with it, I'm gonna keep posting pages here 'till someone tells me to stop.

Issue 10, Page 9!

EvanStanley
BumbleCitizen

Next

Return to The BumbleKreative Korner