Workshop: Writing (tips, techniques and references)

Forum dedicated to fan-creations of all kinds from all related titles. (Sonic series. BumbleKing Comics)

Re: Workshop: Writing (tips, techniques and references)

Postby SHRRN A FWOOSH! » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:22 am

Er, ma'am? Uh, miss--

Just get on with it.

Uhm, sorry.

Miss Lea? I've been working on stories and stuff, but I'm still not sure if my punctuation is correct on speeches. For instance...

Fwoosh brick'd me while excalimating, "STOP IT!". I became furious, and shouted, "WHAT WAS THAT FOR!?".

Those where the only parts that I'm sure that are correct, but I still need more tips about it. Help?
SHRRN A FWOOSH!
BumbleClan

Postby Peircefer » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:09 am

SHRRN A FWOOSH! wrote:
Fwoosh brick'd me while excalimating, "STOP IT!". I became furious, and shouted, "WHAT WAS THAT FOR!?".

Those where the only parts that I'm sure that are correct, but I still need more tips about it. Help?

Fixed wrote:Fwoosh brick'd me while excalimating, "STOP IT!"

I became furious and shouted, "WHAT WAS THAT FOR?!"

When someone else speaks, a new paragraph is started. As for the "became furious and shouted" bit, it's a compound verb (one subject is doing more than one action), so there's no need for the comma in between the two. I'm not sure about the ?! vs. !? thing (it may be personal preference), but (I think that) it looks more question like if the ? comes first. Finally, there is no need for punctuation outside of quotes. You already had it inside them, and that's where it belongs.

Otherwise, I think it's good.
Peircefer
BumbleClan

Postby SHRRN A FWOOSH! » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:53 pm

Peircefer wrote:
SHRRN A FWOOSH! wrote:

Fixed wrote:Fwoosh brick'd me while excalimating, "STOP IT!"

I became furious and shouted, "WHAT WAS THAT FOR?!"

When someone else speaks, a new paragraph is started. As for the "became furious and shouted" bit, it's a compound verb (one subject is doing more than one action), so there's no need for the comma in between the two. I'm not sure about the ?! vs. !? thing (it may be personal preference), but (I think that) it looks more question like if the ? comes first. Finally, there is no need for punctuation outside of quotes. You already had it inside them, and that's where it belongs.

Otherwise, I think it's good.

Confusion hurteth the brain. … . … .

*cough* thank you for that. :)
SHRRN A FWOOSH!
BumbleClan

Postby SimonSays » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:47 am

What Peirce said. :)

But I gotta point out that "excalimating" isn't a thing; you want to say "exclaiming," instead.
SimonSays
BumbleNoble

Previous

Return to The BumbleKreative Korner