Sonic the Hedgehog #193 Preview/Discussion/Spoilers

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby Staf » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:45 pm

I love that this is breaking the usual 3 issue story trend. That was starting to get way too boring, even though the stories were great. I was tired of a threat, things worsen, then it's put on hold for a later time. Rosy looks quite creepy in the last picture, and I'm excited for Unleashed now. The CG beginning will be sweet. As much as I love the drawn one, watching it move is always cooler.
Staf
BumbleFan

Postby 2tailed » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:54 pm

I thought the freaky-creepy image of Rosy with her hammer at the end was fantastic. (I liked it better out of contest as a scanned spoiler, because it was more sudden!) My opinion is that just because this is a kids' book--excuse me, an all-ages book--doesn't mean it should intentionally be babied down, so I appreciate that freaky picture in all of its awesomeness.
I liked Kintobor's fussiness. I could tell that it came from trying to be a good doctor. I think the whole "he put a fuzzy animal into a robot shell but it was Bunnie and he was trying to save her life and preserve her body and he's trying to work so that she doesn't need that anymore, oh and the robot was for peaceful purposes" is a fantastic reversal of everything we know about Robotnik and a nice way to allude to Maria (given the NIDS reference) as well. It offers a subtler contrast to what we just saw of Eggman in the last issue: he cyborg-icized a bunch of furries so that they would serve him until they drop, and their mechanical parts are supposed to kill them if they get out of line. Plus the robots he builds (like MS and MS) are specifically for fighting and smashing and killing, and he giggles with delight over this.
Add all these reversals the fact that Anti-Sonic let Anti-Bunny get mechanized as well.
I found it humorous that Miles was willing to cooperate but didn't want to elevate his double in any way.
That image of Scourge lording it over Anti-Knux was a good way to address A-K while not delving into it too much. Makes me say, "Aw, shoot, I guess Scourge conquered the Sunken Island too." I only hope Anti-Knuckles is alright.
I feel like the Sonic Unleashed adaptation could have used another page or so to show the world as it was blown apart, or to dwell on the WereHog, because those are both cool things to show that were only there for a little bit. Ya work with what you've got, I guess! Some nice bits of humor there at Eggman's expense, especially "Well that was unexpected! G-get out of here!" I also like the concept of altering the art a little bit to match the games (which was done most dramatically in the Sonic Riders story). It's definitely an intriguing story premise even if it's right from the game. I'd love to hear more about making this story, when the time is right.
2tailed
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:16 am

Dimitri the Echidna wrote:Ian, what's your take on the order of the Knuckles family tree around the Spectre area, and what do we follow as canon?

I'm going to have to go over it all again to see if there's a nuance somewhere that can nail it down. We will eventually be setting it in stone. Officially. In print. That's more official than what's come before.

You'll see.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Knuxfan15 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:39 pm

shigamado wrote:I love Rosey. She's totally demented.

Does anyone have an objection to me doing a scan of her on the last page? (The large drawing of her about to attack with her hammer, and frothing at the mouth?)

Go ahead and do, if you have permission. I love seeing those altered images of yours.

Keyed that before I saw the picture. Loved it as usual Shigamado.
Knuxfan15
BumbleCitizen

Postby EthanEmerald » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:17 am

Great issue!

I'm a little confused on why, exactly, Bunnie switched allegiances. It's because Kintobor took her in and gave her mobility through the Omega suit after she developed her case of NIDS, right?

But, has she technically turned good? Does she actually empathize with the love, care, and nurture that Kintobor has given her, or is she merely taking advantage of his provision?

Also, this raises the question, what is the Mobius parallel? Hopefully there is none. I don't want to see our Bunnie switching allegiances for any reason.

Anyone have insight on this?
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby bsonic10 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:25 am

EthanEmerald wrote:Great issue!

I'm a little confused on why, exactly, Bunnie switched allegiances. It's because Kintobor took her in and gave her mobility through the Omega suit after she developed her case of NIDS, right?

But, has she technically turned good? Does she actually empathize with the love, care, and nurture that Kintobor has given her, or is she merely taking advantage of his provision?

Also, this raises the question, what is the Mobius parallel? Hopefully there is none. I don't want to see our Bunnie switching allegiances for any reason.

Anyone have insight on this?

Bunnie won't switch alliances because the reason Buns did was because her group cast her out (because of Scourge). When Scourge found out she had NIDS, rather than helping her, he cast her out viewing her as weak. Sonic and the FF's are much different, if Bunnie developed NIDS they'd try to help her, not cast her out.

As for Buns turning good I can't be positive, things could change, but I'd say she has. She at least won't go back to the SS until they dump Scourge. Even then, I think that she feels that she owes it to Kintobor to help him out in his righteous cause. She turned on them because they left her to die when they found out about her illness. She wants to help Doctor Kintobor because he's the only one who took her in and tried to help her.
bsonic10
BumbleClan

Postby Penpen2nd » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:26 am

I actually liked this issue. :shock: Which I found rather odd considering that the past 5 issues featured Moebius & I never really cared for those issues at all. I was wondering why & then it hit me. It's because Scourge isn't in the issue. I'v never liked him & felt that he's been rather overused lately.

It was nice to see a issue that actually featured the other anti characters for a change. I loved Rosy. Though I must say that I'm suprised that Ian has gotten away with using her like this. She's seems like a character straight out of a horror movie!
Penpen2nd
BumbleKnight

Postby Tonberry2k » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:11 am

Loved Rosy. The sing-song voice she used in the castle played in my head like the Weasel in Roger Rabbit ("Gonna kill the Raaabbittt"). It was pretty great.
Tonberry2k
BumbleNoble

Postby Kintobor » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:30 pm

There you go. Yardley's newly stylized Robotnik for Unleashed.

Still sexy as ever, but with more detail.

I just gotten this issue today, and so far this one is the best of the Moebius arc, mainly because we are introduced to the childish and psychopathic Rosy the Rascal (anti-Amy), Buns Rabbot (anti-Omega?) and re-introduced to a revamped, meek Ivo Kintobor who now takes on the look of Eggman than SatAM Robotnik in the former issues.

The Moebus counterparts are not only the Mobian opposites, but in some forms, an exaggeration of them also. While Amy Rose is a crazy stalker, Rosy is a super psychotic crazy stalker, taking what characterizations that makes her prime counterpart to the extreme.

Ivo Kintobor ( a lovely, meek, and very shy scientist) resembles the awkward nerd at the school prom who becomes a wallflower waiting for someone to ask him for a dance. While Robotnik (Eggman) is a gentleman, Kintobor takes this to the extreme and exaggerates this mirthful helpfulness in one panel with the animals (Needless to say, Ivo Kintobor bears some odd resemblance to Sonic Chronicles very own meek Dr. Madden who also has a penchant to help and save animals. )
The irony here is that while Dr. Robotnik used to put animals in machines for his whims, Kintobor puts Buns in a machine to save her. Kintobor does what Robotnik used to do, down to the retro fitted clothing and the Super Mario feather power-up cape (do you think he could fly in that thing?)

And now for a subliminal message:

Future Dr. Robotnik /Dr. Madden romance for the comic. Now. :D

Anti-Bunnie plays Omega in this issue who has fallen to the disease of N.I.D.S. (a bane to the Robotnik family that a certain Gerald could attest to) and unlike her counterpart, has to rely on a robotic machine to keep the disease from spreading and to keep her alive. While Bunnie Rabbot was accepted by the Freedom Fighters for her "disability" (the robotic limbs) Buns was tossed out and aside because of it (this time attributing to an organic malfunction.) Both however are now the advantage of the attributing party and the downfall of the opposition.
[/img]
Kintobor
BumbleFan

Postby Tcat » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:39 pm

Tonberry2k wrote:Loved Rosy. The sing-song voice she used in the castle played in my head like the Weasel in Roger Rabbit ("Gonna kill the Raaabbittt"). It was pretty great.

YES!

I actually like Rosy more than Amy now (which didn't take much for me, really).. at least she's the full creepy, frothing fangirl I knew she had in her .. even if the "obsession" is smashing Sonic and Scourge. XD
Tcat
BumbleClan

Postby Count Koopula » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:48 pm

Yeah, Rosey is a pretty surprisinglly edgey character, she's probilly the onley one (besides mabey Bean) who could be considered completelly unstable.

I kinda saw Buns (the Anti-Bunny I meen) switching sides coming, it's a nice contrast to how Fiona Fox turned evil more then 20 issues back, so it's nice to see one of the bad characters become good.

As for that image scnan, I'm still not quite used to seeing Eggman with ears. :P
Count Koopula
BumbleClan

Postby 2tailed » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:59 pm

Count Koopula wrote:As for that image scnan, I'm still not quite used to seeing Eggman with ears. :P
Let's face it, he's more fun without them!
2tailed
BumbleKnight

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:01 pm

He had ears in Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 I believe. To say nothing about the Genesis titles. Ears are nothing new for him.

Postby 2tailed » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:06 pm

Well, that's not important. It's not like one needs ears to hear or anything.
2tailed
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:16 pm

The Dr. Madden connection is hilarious to me. We had no prior knowledge about the in-game content, and as I'm playing through for the first time, I run into a veritable Kintobor.

Great minds and all that jazz.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius