Mandate Loophole?

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Mandate Loophole?

Postby Mavrickindigo » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:05 pm

I think the biggest problem is how "closed' SEGA is with their characters. People make assumptions based on what facts they can glean about the games, but then Izuka comes out and says some fact that blasts the fanon out of existence, like how he said Classic Sonic was a different continuity, or that the 2 worlds thing was how the games worked. What I wouldn't give for SEGA to release some kind of Official sonic encyclopedia. That would certainly be filled with weird things.

Back when I played Sonic Runners, each little insignificant episode completetly flipped the setting on its head. Quite simply: if SEGA has a coherent plan for how they envision the world and characters, they don't share it very well... at all.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Xabin » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:56 pm

So, basically, they think that it has a cohesive timeline and characterization and universe, but it really doesn't, like what Mario or Legend of Zelda. That makes sense; they're likely still attached to the idea that, as a platformer, it doesn't need any real deep storyline or connections to each of the other games.
Xabin
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mordum » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:08 am

Mavrickindigo wrote:I think the biggest problem is how "closed' SEGA is with their characters. People make assumptions based on what facts they can glean about the games, but then Izuka comes out and says some fact that blasts the fanon out of existence, like how he said Classic Sonic was a different continuity,

So Iizuka's a rational person, then.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Specs64z » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:44 am

Xabin wrote:So, basically, they think that it has a cohesive timeline and characterization and universe, but it really doesn't, like what Mario or Legend of Zelda. That makes sense; they're likely still attached to the idea that, as a platformer, it doesn't need any real deep storyline or connections to each of the other games.

Which, a mon avis, it really doesn't. Gameplay first. That said, though, it wouldn't hurt to show some continuity between stories. Sa2 referred to sa1 with tails winning a chaos emerald for stopping eggman's missile (Presumably winning it after the events of Perfect Chaos? Because otherwise it's just a paradox...). Or when Satbk refers to sa2 during the dragon fight, where Sonic compares said dragon to the biolizard. More moments like these would be cool to see... though we know what happened when they did actually try a continuing story. Shadow The Hedghog: The game happened.
Specs64z
BumbleFan

Postby DC » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:21 am

SonicBlueRanger wrote:
I will never as long as I live understand why people can't or just plain won't accept that Sega has full say on their own property.

I don't think it is that they won't accept it, per say, but that they think Sega is wrong on at least some of their mandates and want them to change.
DC
BumbleKnight

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:41 pm

DC wrote:
SonicBlueRanger wrote:
I will never as long as I live understand why people can't or just plain won't accept that Sega has full say on their own property.

I don't think it is that they won't accept it, per say, but that they think Sega is wrong on at least some of their mandates and want them to change.

The problem is that Sonic is a rather Mario-like series, in that its a game first that throws storyline ideas just to service the gameplay

or, at least that's what it WAS, until about Sonic 3 & Knuckles. From that point forward, it seemed SEGA wanted to try some storytelling in the games, to make the stakes higher or whatever, but in S3&K, that seemed like an experiment. It didn't get to be a narrative-driven experience until Sonic Adventure. From that game onto Shadow the Hedgehog, Seven Years, the series has been part of one long narrative that told a story about Government plots, hidden secrets, alien threats, etc. Then Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) came out, seemingly as a continuation, but a reboot of sorts that didn't go so well, and then suddenly, all the games in the future didn't fit. They all seemed to be something completely different. They had gone back to the more "make a game, and slap a story on it later" mentality that they had basically abandoned for the majority of the series' lifetime.

Top that all off with the behind-the-scenes stuff that we didn't find out until recently (the two worlds, the retconning of the classic games as being a different continuity, and other things) and you have a fanbase that is scratching its head on what is going on in this series.

The real icing on the cake is that the comic books have been making a narrative for 20 full years, basically, adapting elements from the games and other branches of the franchise in order to make a coherent story out of it.

Basically, I there's a lot of things that SEGA does without consideration for the other branches of its franchise. While that's acceptable, the fact that a lot of these decisions have to be implied and are done without telling the people who make the comics, basically makes it a cluster of weird nonsense that leaves people confused.

It's not bad, per se, just a bit annoying when fans of franchises tend to like to keep track of continuity. Dropping some things and picking and choosing different things in each new game that comes out makes it hard to keep things organized.

I'm rambling and a little out of it. Maybe I'll give my explanation another go, if it doesn't make sense.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Previous

Return to This Side of Mobius