Sonic #284, SU #87 and other covers and solicits.

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Sonic #284, SU #87 and other covers and solicits.

Postby Penguin God » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:51 am

Unleashed has been a pretty bad adaptation, but yeah, it's a fine enough framing device. The stuff from the games is just sadly really barebones presented here.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby SonicSoul » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:57 am

Gonna have to echo with most have been saying about the comic's handling of Unleashed. It's pretty much an adaption that was more focused on "fixing" what the source material lacked but didn't bother keeping what the game actually got right.
Last edited by SonicSoul on Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby akessel92 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:12 am

Penguin God wrote:Unleashed has been a pretty bad adaptation, but yeah, it's a fine enough framing device. The stuff from the games is just sadly really barebones presented here.

Though its barebones compared to the source material. But compared to past adaptation done in the past especially in the old continuity.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby ShadowBat20 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:50 am

The additions in this adaptation (like Knuckles' role, for instance) are appreciated, I just wish it didn't come at the expense of the game stuff (Chip especially).
ShadowBat20
BumbleClan

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:11 pm

I think the problem is people keep thinking of it as a direct by the numbers adaptation when it was never meant to be. It used Unleashed as a template but it's pretty clear there was never any intention for Unleashed's plot to have been completely 100% adapted.

All that being said I can agree that Sonic and Chip's friendship has been glossed over and it would have been nice to see Chip actually develop more with the Freedom Fighters. Admittedly I think I number of the blame can be placed on Worlds Unite. While I didn't hate what I've read of the arc with the fiery passion of a thousand suns like most folks here it did still take three months out of the book. Three months that really could have been spent on developing Sonic and Chip's relationship and Chip's relationship with the rest of the cast.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby The KKM » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:17 pm

There's "it doesn't have to be a direct adaption", and then there's "it doesn't have to be a direct adaption so it's free to get the good things of the source material completely wrong". If that's how it was going to play, it might as well have been a dry direct adaption, at least we'd probably have gotten Ian to explore Sonic and Chip's friendship better instead of Chip being shoved to Knuckles.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby FancyFool » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:41 pm

As much as I'd hate to continue being salty, I have to agree with everyone else: this whole "adaptation" of Unleashed has been a major disappointment, especially so in my case since Unleashed is my favorite Sonic game of all time. I can understand and sometimes even appreciate the changes made (namely having the other characters involved) but, at the end of the day, it felt like everything else had way more focus than Unleashed itself. Heck, as good as the Championships Arc was, it's an adaptation of an entirely different game in the middle of the adaptation for Unleashed! That'd be like having a story of Sonic R or something in the middle of doing Colors. Would any Colors fans be amused by that? World's Unite also didn't help at all but I'm willing to slightly excuse it as I believe that was out of the staff's control (like, wasn't it forced by Archie or something?)

Using Unleashed as a framing device is a sensible idea and it indeed helped give this reboot much need world building, but it ended up not paying much respect for a game that is already massively under appreciated. For all its faults, it's evident that Unleashed was made with incredible amounts of passion and love; Sonic Team really gave their all in making that game and enjoyed every minute of it. But I can't say the same for "Shattered World Crisis". It felt like Unleashed was more of an after-thought in the grand scheme of things, only used to further the agenda of the comic. I swear if the upcoming "Lost World" story proves to be a more "honorable" adaption of the game, my disappointment for this whole Saga will increase tenfold.
FancyFool
BumbleFan

Postby akessel92 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:46 pm

SonicBlueRanger wrote:I think the problem is people keep thinking of it as a direct by the numbers adaptation when it was never meant to be. It used Unleashed as a template but it's pretty clear there was never any intention for Unleashed's plot to have been completely 100% adapted.

All that being said I can agree that Sonic and Chip's friendship has been glossed over and it would have been nice to see Chip actually develop more with the Freedom Fighters. Admittedly I think I number of the blame can be placed on Worlds Unite. While I didn't hate what I've read of the arc with the fiery passion of a thousand suns like most folks here it did still take three months out of the book. Three months that really could have been spent on developing Sonic and Chip's relationship and Chip's relationship with the rest of the cast.

But then again we got four more issues until "fire in the sky" and since after world's unite we are getting chip in with the rest of the group.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby Penguin God » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:05 pm

Unless the ten page format changes in between then and now (and according to solicits it won't), I can't really see any space for Chip to grow or expand from what we already got. Heck, he's not even mentioned on the solicits or the covers.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby The KKM » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:13 pm

Basically everything seems to point to Sonic Unleashed being a sacrificial lamb, and I really don't see why this needed to be the case.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby akessel92 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:14 pm

Penguin God wrote:Unless the ten page format changes in between then and now (and according to solicits it won't), I can't really see any space for Chip to grow or expand from what we already got. Heck, he's not even mentioned on the solicits or the covers.

Issue 280.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby Penguin God » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:03 pm

Ah, I thought we were on 281. That's my mistake: I guess we might get a page or two then.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby akessel92 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:29 pm

Penguin God wrote:Ah, I thought we were on 281. That's my mistake: I guess we might get a page or two then.

I told you we had four more books.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby Mobotropolis » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:30 am

Chip didn't get a chance to bond with, well, anyone for the same reason Cream didn't get a chance to do much of anything three years into the reboot. In Sonic Unleashed it was Sonic, Chip, Pickle, and Tails and Amy as supports. In the book Chip shared face-time with everyone in Knuckles' camp in SU before being put in the middle of the bloated Freedom Fighters and whatever Characters of the Day were involved in the story. It's just been hard to have any place when you're competing with so many characters. Unlike Cream Chip won't really have a chance to make up for it down the line because this'll likely be his only appearance in the book -- and that's a shame.

I like Chip.

I don't think additional time in this arch will fix that or its other problems. We've been here over 30 issues across two books already. At this point I'm okay with just cutting our losses and moving onto something else.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby Big Al Son » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:24 am

SO THE SHATTERED WORLD CRISIS IS REACHING IT'S END! Great! I love the exploring around the world this epic has taken. A 4-parter will conclude it, quite an irony that the 4-parter Countdown to Chaos started all this. I had a feeling this epic would last 3 years after the 1st of this story. But the stories afterwards would be the aftermath of it, how is affected the world and the people. Then we would only have 12 issues to lead in to milestone issue 300, huff. This series just keeps moving.

Battlebird Armada are appearing and make their debut in this reboot.

I KNEW IT! I knew they would do a Knuckles and Amy SU arc after Eggman, gathering the shards of the Master Emerald.
Big Al Son
BumbleKnight

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius