Sonic #284, SU #87 and other covers and solicits.

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Sonic #284, SU #87 and other covers and solicits.

Postby FancyFool » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:56 am

Jazzy76 wrote:Speaking of, all the new FF's are on the last cover other than Cream, wonder why?

Yeah, I would like to know the answer to that too. Cream is supposed to have a key role in the final moments of Shattered World Crisis and yet she is on NONE of the covers for the end of SWC, not even with the rest of the Freedom Fighters on the final cover...
FancyFool
BumbleFan

Postby Specs64z » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:20 pm

Big is on the final cover...

... but not Nicole?

seems legit
Specs64z
BumbleFan

Postby DudestofGuys » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:42 pm

Tails Doll isn't there, but it's clearly very important to the story. Covers aren't supposed to give everything away.

That said, the design for this spread is kinda bad.
DudestofGuys
BumbleFan

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:04 pm

DudestofGuys wrote:Should this go here?
I think this should go here.

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2016/01/STH_284-287_Panic_in_the_Sky.jpg

Duuuuuuuuuuuude. I've said it before and I'll say it again I Flipping love Dan Schoening. I know I'm in the minority there but I just really freaking love his work here and on Ghostbusters. He and Luis are just a fantastic team.

Well that's enough shilling for now. :(hearty laughter):
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Uwaaii » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:10 pm

Maybe its just me, but the artist could've done better on the werehog.
Also, while the connected covers look awesome, but separating it...

Spoiler: show
the third one is just sad. Was this the variant?

I'm worried how they're going to end this adaption. There isn't much bonding between Sonic and Chip or pretty much any other character and that's taking away the excitement.
Uwaaii
BumbleFan

Postby FancyFool » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:13 pm

I guess you have a point there. Still, a character who has importance to the plot should appear on the covers in some capacity. Cream is stated by the solicits for 283 and Ian himself in BumbleKast to have a key role in the end for SWC and, as you pointed out, Tails Doll is also important. Why shouldn't they be on the covers despite being integral to the plot? Because they're not popular? Then can anyone explain why King Acorn and Focke-Wulf are on the first cover? How are they more "popular" or "promotional" than a notable character who frequently tags along the main cast (Cream) or an infamous meme (Tails Doll)? And why leave Cream and Nicole out of the final cover when the rest of the Freedom Fighters are on it? Are those two not Freedom Fighters anymore? Then again, it seems to be a running gag with Cream, where she appears on the covers for stories where she has no impact on the plot at all but she doesn't appear on the covers for stories where she DOES have an impact.
Last edited by FancyFool on Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FancyFool
BumbleFan

Postby Penguin God » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:14 pm

I'm not sure why those covers are connected in one picture when it's just four regular covers with the Werehog plastered between.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby The KKM » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:25 pm

Uwaaii wrote:There isn't much bonding between Sonic and Chip or pretty much any other character and that's taking away the excitement.

But no, that's perfectly fine, it's an adaptation, it can change everything, even the emotional core of the story, get with the times grandpa, who even cares about Chip, etc. [/salty as all @#$%]
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby DudestofGuys » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:43 pm

Penguin God wrote:I'm not sure why those covers are connected in one picture when it's just four regular covers with the Werehog plastered between.

Pretty much. "Good guys in the upper left, bad guys on bottom and right, and Sonic in the middle coming up from the bottom left" looks really bad as a single image when it's repeated four times. It can be done well, but it looks more like an accident than a design choice.
DudestofGuys
BumbleFan

Postby OncleSam » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:24 pm

Holy what the ...... amazing. Seems the adaptation is respecting the end of the game.

And Perfect Dark Gaia as ugly as ever.

And the second edit : SPOILERS MUCH.
Spoiler: show
Amy on the final cover. She and Knuckles succeded in restoring the Master Emerald in time ! Yay ! Wait ... it WAS going to end like that eh ?
OncleSam
BumbleKnight

Postby GentlemanX » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:35 pm

The KKM wrote:But no, that's perfectly fine, it's an adaptation, it can change everything, even the emotional core of the story, get with the times grandpa, who even cares about Chip, etc. [/salty as all @#$%]

I believe you can change A LOT when writing an adaptation, but there's no doubt Archie handled Unleashed REALLY poorly. I honestly was expecting it to end with 300 and that we were just going to be getting to Chip now in the "second half".

Maybe they're just cutting it short with how people have been complaining how long the arc has been? Maybe they had their priorities and mindset shift when they got distracted by Worlds Unite and the Boom ongoing? Maybe they just wanted an excuse for world building to distract readers from the reboot? Maybe they just plotted a disappointing adaptation. There are endless possibilities (pun intended) as to why this arc turned out the way it did.

Hopefully we can just put this mess behind us and FINALLY start telling stories that don't feel like they've been put through a blender (was 236 really back in 2012? Geez).
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

Postby The KKM » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:39 pm

and never ever again touch an adaptation in canon please. just go "and in between this story and the other, the game happened"
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Mordum » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:07 pm

I like Unleashed as a weird framing device, so no complaints about this on my end. Throwing Fighters into it has highly amused as well.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Jazzy76 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:39 am

GentlemanX wrote:
The KKM wrote:But no, that's perfectly fine, it's an adaptation, it can change everything, even the emotional core of the story, get with the times grandpa, who even cares about Chip, etc. [/salty as all @#$%]

I believe you can change A LOT when writing an adaptation, but there's no doubt Archie handled Unleashed REALLY poorly. I honestly was expecting it to end with 300 and that we were just going to be getting to Chip now in the "second half".

Maybe they're just cutting it short with how people have been complaining how long the arc has been? Maybe they had their priorities and mindset shift when they got distracted by Worlds Unite and the Boom ongoing? Maybe they just wanted an excuse for world building to distract readers from the reboot? Maybe they just plotted a disappointing adaptation. There are endless possibilities (pun intended) as to why this arc turned out the way it did.

Hopefully we can just put this mess behind us and FINALLY start telling stories that don't feel like they've been put through a blender (was 236 really back in 2012? Geez).

While the Unleashed adaptation could have been handled better, it does seem like the story's main point was to explore the new Sonic Universe and that's something it did really well. They've established new places and characters from both the games and shows along with new orginals like the Shamar FF's and revamped classic characters like Snivley and Ixis Naugus.
Jazzy76
BumbleKnight

Postby Garet » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:02 am

Kinda surprised at the 3rd cover. Would have thought they'd have wanted characters in there instead of them all being on one, two or four. I know Sonic's arm is there and Eggman is in the top of the vehicle but apart from Chip, I can't remember a cover with this few starring characters on it.
Garet
BumbleNewbie

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius