What's wrong with Sonic Fandom?

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: What's wrong with Sonic Fandom?

Postby Mordum » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:55 pm

ToaArcan wrote:Noticing a lot of people in this thread saying "Sonic fans" as if they themselves are not Sonic fans.

Genuine question: are you just incapable of abstract thought?
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Azul » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:28 pm

ToaArcan wrote:The idiots are a vocal minority, though. They get all the attention because they make the most noise. Using "Sonic fans" is a blanket statement, when the ones being criticised aren't representative. Otherwise, the rest of it's just standard fandom stupidity. You'll see the same thing from any fandom.

They're getting the attention because they're notably obscene. Even though the behavior is present in every fandom, the amount and dispersion of it in the Sonic fandom is extremely high.

Mordum wrote:
Azul wrote:It's like, generally Sonic fans are terrible people and refuse to acknowledge it.

Archetypal heroic stories attract reductive thinkers because of their binary morality.

*nods in agreement*
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby ToaArcan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:31 pm

Mordum wrote:
ToaArcan wrote:Noticing a lot of people in this thread saying "Sonic fans" as if they themselves are not Sonic fans.

Genuine question: are you just incapable of abstract thought?

Look, I don't mind you taking time out of both our days to tell me why I'm wrong in a thread about unpopular opinions, that's cool. But I'm not okay with being called an idiot because I noticed that people here are generally insulting themselves because they don't bother to make a distinction between loud, obnoxious children and the genuinely intelligent people in this fandom.

Someone above me is saying that Sonic fans are terrible people. But if that is the case, and they are a Sonic fan, are they not calling themself a terrible person? Or is there a reason why they're exempt from it?

But hey, maybe I'm just a reductive thinker and incapable of abstract thought and a generally terrible person because I happen to like something that you like as well.
ToaArcan
BumbleFan

Postby Mordum » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:02 pm

Trends in communities get discussed in the abstract, or divorced from the speakers, by people in that community all the time. It's not even remotely bizarre. A community as an entity, composed of certain recurring behavior and trends, is not the same as a community per each individual, where everyone represents a different frame of reference. This sort of conversation is always about the wider trends, often discussed by those divorced from said trends.

This happens in every single social group. Political group. Racial group. Sexual group. Religious group. You would have to be entirely blind to how culture operates on a daily basis to not get the implied context of this kind of conversation.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Azul » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:45 am

ToaArcan wrote:Someone above me is saying that Sonic fans are terrible people.

OK, lemme put some context in this joint.

Even if I may be technically incorrect for saying "generally Sonic fans," I'm only referring to the people who have contributed to the ongoing problem that put the fandom in the state it is currently in the first place. It might not even be a margin of the fans but I've witnessed just how terrible it can get on multiple occasians throughout my life. It's gotten so bad where I used to avoid Sonic fan pages and forums altogether. And in comparison, it seems much worse than other fandoms. I'm probably entirely wrong but from my perspective, it was bad enough to make me want to hide the fact that I'm associated with the franchise because I'm being grouped in with such a behemoth group and by extension ostracized for things I don't even do.

But if that is the case, and they are a Sonic fan, are they not calling themself a terrible person? Or is there a reason why they're exempt from it?

A pretty fly guy wrote:Well I know I'm certainly not a contributer to raising madness. It'd be inaccurate for me to say "us Sonic fans."
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby TurboTailz » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:50 am

You're either a Sonic fan or not. Why should you worry about the fandom as whole because of some bad apples? You find that everywhere no matter what fandom you go to.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby ToaArcan » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:07 pm

There's nothing wrong with the Sonic fandom that isn't wrong with every fandom. Every fandom has bad fanart, crazy overzealous maniacs, awful OCs, terribad High School AU fanfiction, and its fair share of awful material that they all paid for anyway. Every fandom also has amazing fanart, sane and interesting fans, good OCs, very good, well-written fanfiction, and very good material that deserves the money it got thrown at it.

The real question isn't "WHat's wrong with the Sonic fandom", it's "Why are Sonic fans the ones that keep getting crap thrown at them when they're no different to other fandoms?"

I saw this applied to Undertale yesterday, but it can be applied to the Sonic fandom too: "I've seen more people whining about stupid fans than I've seen actual stupid fans."
ToaArcan
BumbleFan

Postby TurboTailz » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:19 pm

ToaArcan wrote: The real question isn't "WHat's wrong with the Sonic fandom", it's "Why are Sonic fans the ones that keep getting crap thrown at them when they're no different to other fandoms?"

I saw this applied to Undertale yesterday, but it can be applied to the Sonic fandom too: "I've seen more people whining about stupid fans than I've seen actual stupid fans."

I have no idea, but it could a bandwagon trend like some people always assume furry artists draws sexual themes on their characters. It sucks, but the people who do stuff like that aren't helping in the matter.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Re: What's wrong with Sonic Fandom? (or rather it's reputati

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:29 pm

ToaArcan wrote:The real question isn't "WHat's wrong with the Sonic fandom", it's "Why are Sonic fans the ones that keep getting crap thrown at them when they're no different to other fandoms?"

Yeah, that would be a better formed question. (Unless blue spikes and eggs with mustache really are what "reductive thinkers" like the most).

TurboTailz wrote: some people always assume furry artists draws sexual themes on their characters. It sucks, but the people who do stuff like that aren't helping in the matter.

Aaaand here I'm going to disagree with you. What's wrong if someone wants draw to sexy picture of existing character? They free to do so, assuming they post it on Deviantart and not, I don't know, this forum.

I know it makes us look bad, but it's not like they're doing this on purpose. They just draw what they like.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:15 pm

the way I sees it, the internet, or at least the 4chan side of it, has some heavy bias against furries and what they perceive as autistic tendencies. it isnt generally warranted by any means because there isnt anything wrong with being autistic and they're likely all just in denial about something, but regardless, that's the way they behave. they see Sonic as encapsulating both these things, so there's that on top of the negative critical reception of some of the games. as someone who liked the Genesis games as a kid but then stepped out for 15 years, this was generally how I saw the rest of the internet talking about both the franchise and the fandom, and it was what kept me from wanting to get back into it.

having got back into the fandom, yeah there are some people here who I dont like or dont agree with on anything, but that's been the case with every fandom I've ever lurked; they're all annoying as @#$%. the Sonic fandom doesn't seem particularly unique to me, especially with the way fandoms have been going ever since Bronies became a thing. of course, with things like Sonic, Bronies, and Transformers, you're generally looking at adults who cling to the things they grew up with, but I doubt the "adult" fandoms are any better. Star Wars and Doctor Who people are also insufferable.
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby ToaArcan » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:49 pm

THe terms "Geewun" and "Ruined FOREVER!" both originated in the Transformers Fandom. However, in that case, it was the fandom themselves that came up with it. Petulant whining for the days of yore and incensed screaming that everything is ruining Sonic forever are hardly new things in the SOnic fandom. We are not the first group to start doing this, and nor will we be the last, but we seem to be the only group to which it has stuck.

I'm wondering if perhaps Chris-Chan has something to do with it. It's worth noting that he (Or should that be she now?) fits into all three of the examples that Mr. Unsmiley gave, but of course, people only remember Sonichu.
ToaArcan
BumbleFan

Postby Spinehog » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:16 am

If I where to attempt a generalization of our fandom's flaws, or rather, what makes our fandom easy to judge, I'd include:

1. We're fractured into so many sub-categories.
There are the people who consider the classic games the only enjoyable aspects of the series, there are those who's first love was the Adventure games, and even those who don't touch the games at all and purely read the comics. Sonic has branched into various mediums and genres, many of which, have little in common with their predecessors, resulting in ridiculously contrasting opinions of what the future of the franchise should comprise of.

2. We're fans of a bipedal blue talking hedgehog.
Sonic being a series of anthropomorphic animals, makes it an easy target for furry-flak, and isn't helped by sexualized characters like Rouqe and the franchises dabbles in humanXmobian romance.

3. Ages 6 to....?
Off-shooting from some of my other points, Sonic has garnered fans of all ages over its existence. The series' lack of consistency with a target age, isn't helped by the fear that your buying a product bought only by fully grown men/children yet unable to drive, depending on your age.

4. Sonic's good at being bad.
Wherever the circle started, Sonic being a bad series is a part of gaming pop culture now. It's "cool" to rag on Sonic, and, no matter the quality of the next game in the series, it most likely will continue to be.

5. We're a bunch overflowing with love and creativity.
No matter the quality of the original product, if its existing consumers are too head-over heals for it, it can be off-putting to anyone else. Sonic fans, of various ages, love making original characters and stories, of various qualities, and love filling every orifice of the internet with them. It can be nauseating to the casual, and halt any interest they may have had in the series.

Other series I'd consider to be struggling with similar issues would be Five Nights at Freddy's, and My Little Pony. (Both staring animal buddies now that I think about it). Heck, even the strongly received Undertale is starting to lose a potential audience that was off-put by the behavior of the existing fans.
Last edited by Spinehog on Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spinehog
BumbleNoble

Postby RaceProUK » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:08 am

Spinehog wrote:Heck, even the strongly received Undertale is starting to lose a potential audience that was off-put by the behavior of the existing fans.
Speaking from personal experience, the worst treatment I ever received was at the hands of an Undertale fan; she made even the worst Sonic fans look like kittens in comparison.

Not what one would expect from someone who moderates a community.
RaceProUK
BumbleFan

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:38 am

RaceProUK wrote:
Spinehog wrote:Heck, even the strongly received Undertale is starting to lose a potential audience that was off-put by the behavior of the existing fans.
Speaking from personal experience, the worst treatment I ever received was at the hands of an Undertale fan; she made even the worst Sonic fans look like kittens in comparison.

Not what one would expect from someone who moderates a community.

...maybe all fandom should just die in fire.

Or maybe not, then those people would go to politics or religions.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:32 am

I think the comments on this article illustrate exactly what's wrong with Sonic fandom.

My favorite post here is "I hope he writes his will too". That just sums it all up.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius