What's wrong with Sonic Fandom?

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: What's wrong with Sonic Fandom?

Postby Mordum » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:12 am

I was just browsing the Sonic Wiki and the World of Camelot page felt the need to tell me Great Britain is a real place.

Maybe the fandom's problem is that it's @#$% stupid.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Matt7325 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:16 am

Mordum wrote:I was just browsing the Sonic Wiki and the World of Camelot page felt the need to tell me Great Britain is a real place.

This is how I've felt for twenty-one years about people being surprised that echidnas are real.
Matt7325
BumbleKnight

Postby TurboTailz » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:57 pm

What's wrong with the Sonic Fandom?

I guess too much expectation? Everyone has their own vision on how they want Sonic to be run and when it doesn't agree with one another or try to connect. A opinion war starts and goes on until a new Sonic game comes out. Some fans despises the comics due to Sally being in the way if that matters much, but other than that I have no clue. It's entertaining though :(hearty laughter):
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby Mordum » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:44 pm

Matt7325 wrote:
Mordum wrote:I was just browsing the Sonic Wiki and the World of Camelot page felt the need to tell me Great Britain is a real place.

This is how I've felt for twenty-one years about people being surprised that echidnas are real.

We are brothers.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby RaceProUK » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:35 pm

TurboTailz wrote:What's wrong with the Sonic Fandom?

I guess too much expectation? Everyone has their own vision on how they want Sonic to be run and when it doesn't agree with one another or try to connect. A opinion war starts and goes on until a new Sonic game comes out. Some fans despises the comics due to Sally being in the way if that matters much, but other than that I have no clue. It's entertaining though :(hearty laughter):

It's not entertaining, it's pathetic. Why does the fanbase have to turn every little thing into a civil war?
RaceProUK
BumbleFan

Postby Penguin God » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:37 pm

TO be fair, how often do people hear about echidnas otherwise? It's not the worst mistake to make.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:45 pm

RaceProUK wrote:

It's not entertaining, it's pathetic. Why does the fanbase have to turn every little thing into a civil war?

that's not particularly unique to the Sonic fanbase though
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:45 am

Mr.Unsmiley wrote:
RaceProUK wrote:

that's not particularly unique to the Sonic fanbase though

But were the one with the worst press? I'm tired of "Haha, Sonic games sucks" jokes, but at least we somewhat deserve them.
But I swear that I hear more "Sonic fandom sucks" then actual sucking.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Azul » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:03 pm

Mordum wrote:Maybe the fandom's problem is that it's @#$% stupid.

Pretty much this. Sonic fans have a patent for doing and saying really dumb things. Could have something to do with the rampant amount of OCs, terrible fanfics featuring said OCs, the infamous warped perception of the cast, the terrible variety of ships, and the fact that when Sonic fans act immature, it gets bad. It's like, generally Sonic fans are terrible people and refuse to acknowledge it.

And another thing, the fandom is so divided on like every level. People segregate themselves based on the different continuities, which is expected and not a bad thing, but then some oust themselves based on their preference or distaste for a certain ship or because you don't like a character. DeviantArt is crawling with hate groups and they're all very, very, stupid.

Also, some of the fan art is down right scary.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby FancyFool » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:11 pm

This is most likely wrong, but I think a major reason the Sonic fandom tends to get the worst press is because the franchise itself gets a ton bad press. People love to treat the franchise like a punching bag and so the fandom gets "punched" by extension. The more "controversial" aspects of the fandom simply makes it easier for them to mock, especially since they are pretty much everywhere. It certainly doesn't help at all that there are a few, very vocal Sonic fans who prove themselves to be rather, um, "complicated" individuals. Doesn't matter if those "fans" are an extreme minority and aren't welcomed by the rest of the fandom, all that matters to other folks is that they are fans of Sonic and they are "problematic", in a manner of speaking.
FancyFool
BumbleFan

Postby Mordum » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:05 pm

Azul wrote:It's like, generally Sonic fans are terrible people and refuse to acknowledge it.

Archetypal heroic stories attract reductive thinkers because of their binary morality.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Dimzjak » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:22 pm

You're zeroing in on the Sonic fandom like every fandom isn't equally terrible. There's nothing uniquely terrible about the Sonic fandom. You may as well be asking "what's wrong with fandom".

And to answer the question: people. People are why fandom is terrible. People are terrible by nature.

People should be replaced by inert wax replicas and then fandom would be OK. Get to work on that ASAP.
Dimzjak
BumbleNoble

Postby ToaArcan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:46 pm

Noticing a lot of people in this thread saying "Sonic fans" as if they themselves are not Sonic fans.
ToaArcan
BumbleFan

Postby Azul » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:31 pm

ToaArcan wrote:Noticing a lot of people in this thread saying "Sonic fans" as if they themselves are not Sonic fans.

Well I know I'm certainly not a contributer to raising madness. It'd be inaccurate for me to say "us Sonic fans."
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby ToaArcan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:36 pm

The idiots are a vocal minority, though. They get all the attention because they make the most noise. Using "Sonic fans" is a blanket statement, when the ones being criticised aren't representative. Otherwise, the rest of it's just standard fandom stupidity. You'll see the same thing from any fandom.
ToaArcan
BumbleFan

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius