Best Post-Reboot Sonic Universe Arc (pool)

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Your Favorite Sonic Univers Arc After Reboot (poll)

Pirate Plunder Panic (55-58)
17%
Shadow Fall (59-62)
No votes
The Great Chaos Caper (63-66)
17%
Total Eclipse (67-70)
20%
Spark of Life (71-74)
37%
Fury (75)
3%
Silver Age (79-82)
7%

Total votes : 30

Best Post-Reboot Sonic Universe Arc (pool)

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:01 pm

I was going to wait with it for year or two, but for obvious reasons it's not an option. Might as well ask now: which new Sonic Universe was your favorite?

Also, I have a question for veteran readers: did SU got slower pacing with reboot? I could swear that's true, but I can't trust my judgment. You see, I found out about Archie Sonic just few months before Worlds Collide happened. So I read every pre-reboot SU arc in one sitting, while for post-reboot I had to wait 3 month to get resolution. Ergo, my judgment is a bit... skewed.

Anyway, my thoughts:
Pirate Plunder Panic (55-58) was a nice, if a little flawed adventure. It had pirates, jokes, action, interaction, mostly good stuff. And I really liked Captain Metal, idea of resurrecting old Metal was brilliant. Unfortunately it had few problems. Third issue is filler, just pushing Whisker and Kraken to make it 4-parter. Blaze gets captured way to easily and over all doesn't do anything impressive. That is until climax, but that part is completely rushed (Maybe because Blaze debuted in Sonic Rush? Ha, I leave this forum with horrible pun.). Surprising since, again, part was just a filler.

Shadow Fall (59-62) was a weird beast. I rolled my eyes at first since this whole "Shadow turns evil" was absolutely stupid and predictable. The rest was just walking through ShTH (game) levels with some funnies from Omega and nice art. However after Shadow regain his mind, story suddenly got emotional. Eclipse begging his daddy to let him save his kind is one of the my favorite scenes in whole series.

The Great Chaos Caper (63-66) was a little...boring. Not real thread, no high emotions, just Knuckles goofing around with Chaotix. I guess it would be fine if comedy worked, but I'm on Knuckles side, Chaotix were just annoying. How many pages we wasted to talk about ghosts, ones that didn't even appear in a story? At least 5 in first issue. The only part I really liked was Relic. I don't know why, but I feel in love in character from a very first appearance.

Total Eclipse (67-70) I talked about earlier. Shadow and Knuckles team-up? Awesome! They will fight? Awesome! Fight goes nowhere? ...Not awesome. I still like Eclipse and Relic and there were some good scenes with Omega, Snively, Rouge/Knuckles, etc. But the main premise was disappointment, so it's hard to me to say if I like it.

Spark of Life (71-74)is the story that will probably win this poll (In my opinion anyway). Phage wasn't as interesting as Captain M or Eclipse, but Nicole's new backstory definitely made up for it. For some reason I don't love it as some older SU, but I can't deny it's quality.

Fury (75) was a nice story, but being a 20 paged story it can't do that much (Unless you count SU #1 or 50. Or Megaman 49, 53, 54... what was my point?). It's a small cool adventure that leaves you relaxed and ready for awesome crossover (Unfortunately we got World Unite instead. Bam!)

Silver Age (79-82) is technically still spoilers, soo
Spoiler: show
has same problems as "Ghosts of the Future" : tons of mystery but little answers. If you ignore the mystery, rest is a little bland.
Domino Councils? Just bunch of jerks. Devourer? Just random monster. Time Gates? Plot device. Maybe there is more, but comics didn't convince that there is. Schlemmer is a fun character but I don't really care about a Gold. On the bright side, climax was quite impressive, with giant Silver, everyone doing their part and stuff like that.
Last edited by MetalSkulkBane on Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Re: Best Post-Reboot Sonic Universe Arc (pool)

Postby Meliden » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:07 pm

You do know that SU#82 is technically not out so still a spoiler, right?

Anyway, I thought Great Chaos Caper was the most fun so I went with that. Not really been many standout arc post-reboot for Universe, that aside.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:14 pm

Meliden wrote:You do know that SU#82 is technically not out so still a spoiler, right?

Good point. I don't I gave anything away that couldn't be guess from a cover, but I'll hide it just in case.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:17 pm

I loved the entire Dark Trilogy and think it gets way too much hate. I love that Team Dark actually feel like friends now and not just a bunch of people thrown into one team because...IDK they were all there anyway. Plus Ian finally stopped writing Rouge as being 100% evil so that was a plus.

I really think a lot of the problems people point out are just nitpicking honestly.

Although that being said Spark of Life is definitely the best arc post-reboot. A fantastic character piece that also delivered on action. I'd honestly say if you ever need to read one Archie story then this is it.

[spoiler]
has same problems as "Ghosts of the Future" : tons of mystery but little answers

So your problem is that the mystery isn't wrapped up in 4 issues and Evan left something to build on later? ...Isn't that how a mystery works?[/quote]
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby ShadowBat20 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:07 pm

I really liked the Dark Trilogy. Shadow Fall was good, though I'd say it was the weakest of the trilogy. The Great Chaos Caper was fun, mainly because I can't get enough of Knuckles and the Chaotix hanging out. Then there's Total Eclipse, featuring an absolutely fantastic fight between Knux and Shadow...really, the Dark Trilogy was solid.

That said, Spark of Life beats it. Great character moments, fun action, plenty of feels, and a fantastic (and much improved) backstory for NICOLE. Sure, I have a few small problems with it, but overall Spark of Life is my clear favorite, possibly one of my favorite SU arcs period.

(Though to be fair, I haven't gotten around to reading the Silver Age, and considering how much I like Silver...it may top it, I dunno.)
ShadowBat20
BumbleClan

Postby Mordum » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:48 pm

The Dark Trilogy is fun on a bun, but yeah, Spark of Life takes it. No question.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby FritzyBeat » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:40 pm

Pirate Plunder Panic was the only one I actually read all the way through sooooooo..... *shot*
Yeah, I have to vote for that. Bean was amazing in it too.

That being said, I saw large portions of Spark of Life while at my local comic book shop flipping through pages, and it looked really good.
FritzyBeat
BumbleClan

Postby RaceProUK » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:14 pm

MetalSkulkBane wrote:[…] Relic. I don't know why, but I feel in love in character from a very first appearance.
You're not the only one ;)
RaceProUK
BumbleFan

Postby Jazzy76 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:01 pm

I loved "The Great Chaos Caper", seeing Knuckles and the Chaotix working together (almost) as well as they did in the old universe gave me more confidence in the nu one. And "Spark of Life" showed that SEGA characters aren't always needed to headline an SU arc. Sure Tails was a part of the story but he was only on two of the covers whereas Sally was on all four and the center focus was mostly on Nicole.
Jazzy76
BumbleKnight

Postby FancyFool » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:16 pm

I'm in the same boat (HA!) as FritzyBeat; Pirate Plunder Panic is pretty much the only Post-Reboot SU Arc I actually read through and so by default it gets my vote. Though even if I took the time to read the other SU Arcs PPP would still have my vote since it appeals to me the most. Amy and Cream as lead characters? Check! Set in the Sol Dimension, a location that rarely gets appearances, and gives the place more much-needed world building? Check! Metal Sonic (er, a version of him at least) as the main villain and a truly menacing one? CHECK! Cream actually does useful stuff!? CHECK!!! (I know I said in a previous post that the Arc didn't do much with Cream but reading it again I realize that she actually does a few things, even if they're kinda minor for the most part) I'm also a sucker for pirate-like settings, so the Arc earns more points from me in that regard.
In fact, I think I like PPP better than it's predecessor, Treasure Team Tango, mostly because it doesn't demonize a certain character in the most sickening way and it doesn't have nearly as many characters that it has to share the page-time with, allowing more focus to the lead characters. In addition, the plot has some actual stakes to it whereas TTT is more-or-less "comedic filler" (still good but not really important in the grand scheme of things).

That said, however, the Arc does have a few flaws. As MetalSkulkBane pointed out, Blaze gets captured way too easily and spends the entirety of Part 2 in a cage, despite being THE main character of the Arc and one of the definitive action girls of the franchise, and not much really happens in Part 3. Personally speaking, I don't see much of a reason for Bean and Bark to be in this Arc. They don't contribute much to the plot at all and it feels like they are just there for comic relief (which is already fulfilled by Marine and a couple other characters) and to further reference TTT. Honestly, you could remove Bean and Bark from the plot and not much would change at all, which I honestly don't like saying since I'm a guy who enjoys characters and don't want to call anyone's presence in a story unnecessary, but it really feels like the case here. It doesn't help that Bean and Bark would get prominent and more impactful roles in "The Great Chaos Caper" and the "Champions" Arc, so really they just took up much needed page-time from other characters that needed it more.

Also, I'm sorry, but I can't help but dislike Marine's characterization in this Arc. Marine may have been an annoying nuisance throughout Rush Adventure but at the end of that game she made a promise to start maturing and become competent, which was shown by her ultimately saving the day with her "hidden power" and building her "SS Marine" all by herself! And yet throughout this Arc, which takes place after Rush Adventure, Marine acts like even more of a bratty nuisance! I would've expected the comics, which have much better writing in terms of story and character than the games by light years, to pick up on Marine's promise and "hidden power" and make her a better character, especially given how unpopular her original depiction was, and yet the comics completely ignore both in favor of portraying her as an annoying comic relief as she was in Rush Adventure despite the ending having her flat out say "I'm sorry for being a nuisance, I swear I'll change that and become a better person!" and flat out showing that she's more powerful than she lets on! Feel free to argue if this is really warranted criticism but that's how I feel about Marine's portrayal in this Arc and the comic as a whole.
FancyFool
BumbleFan

Postby Kellox » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:21 pm

Spark of Life, it has some decent build up, introduced a interesting new character, gave Nicole a excellent backstory and had Sally kick butt! The artwork too was also splendid.
Kellox
BumbleCitizen

Postby PeléPelé06 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:29 pm

Shadow Fall is the very first arc of the Sonic comic that I read, and what got me hooked on the series. But I gotta go with Spark of Life on this one.

Though, post-reboot Sonic Universe has been pushing all the right buttons so far, at least for me. Least-favorite arc would have to be Pirate Plunder Panic, and I still liked that one a lot. Plus, Yardley/Amash/Herms is the DREAM TEAM.
PeléPelé06
BumbleFan

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:11 pm

SonicBlueRanger wrote:
has same problems as "Ghosts of the Future" : tons of mystery but little answers

So your problem is that the mystery isn't wrapped up in 4 issues and Evan left something to build on later? ...Isn't that how a mystery works?

But I don't even know if there will be anything more. Evan claimed on forum that there is more to Second Devourer, but looking only on comic it seems that he's just a Time Eater wannabe. There is no "hook' suggesting that there will be more.
But more importantly, I'm looking at this as a stand alone story. If I ignore mystery, what's left in first 3 issues? Schemer is fun, but Dominos are morons, Gold whole personality is panicking, fights are only with some bots and without any context, Devourer is kinda generic (admittedly he looks a little cool).

PeléPelé06 wrote:Though, post-reboot Sonic Universe has been pushing all the right buttons so far, at least for me. Least-favorite arc would have to be Pirate Plunder Panic, and I still liked that one a lot. Plus, Yardley/Amash/Herms is the DREAM TEAM.

Herms? In Pirate Plunder it was Downer for the most part.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby PeléPelé06 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:29 pm

MetalSkulkBane wrote:
PeléPelé06 wrote:Though, post-reboot Sonic Universe has been pushing all the right buttons so far, at least for me. Least-favorite arc would have to be Pirate Plunder Panic, and I still liked that one a lot. Plus, Yardley/Amash/Herms is the DREAM TEAM.

Herms? In Pirate Plunder it was Downer for the most part.

Whoops, my mistake~ :oops: Haven't read that arc in a bit (looking through it now actually), so I was a bit foggy on the exact credits, there. Thanks for the catch!

Needless to say I enjoy Downer's colors as well.
PeléPelé06
BumbleFan

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:53 am

PeléPelé06 wrote:Needless to say I enjoy Downer's colors as well.

He's not bad, but I think I prefer lightly Jensen and definitely strong colors of Herms. (Best one is naturally Dillon, but his work is so rare...)

Downer's blue-ish coloring is a little bit of (forgive cringe worthy joke) a downer. I guess he works when you need darker shades (Pirate Plunder, last part of Silver Saga), but usually I prefer a bit brighter colouring.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius