The Sonic 25th Anniversary Thread - It's a TRIPLE THREAT?

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: The Sonic 25th Anniversary Thread - It's a DOUBLE PACKAG

Postby scourge188 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:23 pm

Many gaming series change after a game or two. One reason I can pinpoint to is due to a need to change. I'm not sure if it because the company wants to change but I have seen many reviewers judge a game series for being bland or playing it too safe. I read a spoiler free review of the new Mario and Luigi Paper Jam which said the game was great but played it too safe. My point to this is that Sega most likely doesn't want to be judged for playing it too safe with Sonic and that's why they strayed from a formula that was actually working for them (Colors, Generations). Sega however doesn't have the amount of franchises that Nintendo has to play it safe and get away with it. Nintendo can play it safe with Mario and then release a Zelda game which will be looked at as unique and amazing. Well that's my view
scourge188
BumbleNewbie

Postby Penguin God » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:45 pm

ToaArcan wrote:They were trying to set it up as a reboot, though. THat's why it has the StH title, rather than something more fitting.

A reboot that features a lot of characters from previous games and makes reference to past arcs. That whole "reboot" bit was in early promos but it was clearly dropped before the game reached anything near completion.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Specs64z » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:52 pm

scourge188 wrote:Many gaming series change after a game or two. One reason I can pinpoint to is due to a need to change. I'm not sure if it because the company wants to change but I have seen many reviewers judge a game series for being bland or playing it too safe. I read a spoiler free review of the new Mario and Luigi Paper Jam which said the game was great but played it too safe. My point to this is that Sega most likely doesn't want to be judged for playing it too safe with Sonic and that's why they strayed from a formula that was actually working for them (Colors, Generations). Sega however doesn't have the amount of franchises that Nintendo has to play it safe and get away with it. Nintendo can play it safe with Mario and then release a Zelda game which will be looked at as unique and amazing. Well that's my view

True enough. Though, when you consider how the first 5 main series games (the classics, if you will) have almost identical mechanics (for Sonic anyway) yet are all individually regarded as (even though Sonic CD apparently had some issues) masterpieces that can be enjoyed by anyone, it's kinda strange that a series with such successful roots in continously building off what it had going wouldn't stick to it's guns and continue to improve off itself for a longer series of continued games.
Hindsight's 20-20, I guess.
Specs64z
BumbleFan

Re: The Sonic 25th Anniversary Thread - It's a TRIPLE THREAT

Postby ToaArcan » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:52 pm

It was still a reboot, but more a soft reboot, basically setting out with no regard for previous continuity. There are also a lot of reboot-flavoured bits that they never got rid of: Sonic's personality change, Shadow and Omega suddenly working for GUN, Blaze's new backstory, the whole conundrum with the blue Chaos Emerald.

06 was meant to be fresh start, regardless of having the other characters shoehorned in.
ToaArcan
BumbleFan

Postby Penguin God » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:34 pm

Sonic's personality didn't change much, the Chaos Emeralds change up all the time, and Shadow working for GUN isn't something that a reboot would cover (not only that, it was hinted at in Shadow the Hedgehog.) Sonic 06 is about as much of a reboot as Sonic Heroes.

We are not calling Sonic Heroes a reboot.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Azul » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:38 pm

Penguin God wrote:Sonic's personality didn't change much, the Chaos Emeralds change up all the time, and Shadow working for GUN isn't something that a reboot would cover (not only that, it was hinted at in Shadow the Hedgehog.) Sonic 06 is about as much of a reboot as Sonic Heroes.

We are not calling Sonic Heroes a reboot.

'06 was intended to be a soft reboot though. Or at least change the direction they wanted the series to head in.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby Penguin God » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:03 am

Yes, that was the original statement Naka gave. It was supposed to be a revitalization of the franchise, originally. But as I already said, the game heavily features a huge cast and continuity that clearly abandoned the reboot promise. Heck, just about nothing that was promised in that release actually came to be.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Mordum » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:11 am

It also might be my biases talking, but the game also felt like an ending rather than a beginning.

Sonic Adventure 2 felt like an ending as well in those last scenes (Eggman contemplating reforming, etc.), so it's not like 06 feeling like an ending means it was intended as one. 06 feels like one of the few times anything resembling the casts' character arcs all resolve.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby ChaosJam » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:43 am

Hate to break up the Sonic '06 discussion but has no one noticed that the official Sonic social media sites have updated their images with 25th Anniversary images?
ChaosJam
BumbleNoble

Postby Specs64z » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:22 am

That could mean just about anything. Generations 2, Classic remake, Sonic 4 episode III, or just a random picture to build hype. I dunno what to expect. But the classic sonic pic leads me to believe they are going to once again "return to their roots"... even though every time they do they fail.
Specs64z
BumbleFan

Postby Azul » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:20 am

ChaosJam wrote:Hate to break up the Sonic '06 discussion but has no one noticed that the official Sonic social media sites have updated their images with 25th Anniversary images?

So I take it they're already handing out tickets for the hype train?

Specs64z wrote:But the classic sonic pic leads me to believe they are going to once again "return to their roots"... even though every time they do they fail.

Except Sonic Generations.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby Specs64z » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:49 pm

azul wrote:
Specs64z wrote:But the classic sonic pic leads me to believe they are going to once again "return to their roots"... even though every time they do they fail.

Except Sonic Generations.

Right. Almost every time :)
Specs64z
BumbleFan

Postby WiNTER BELLS » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:14 am

I honestly don't think the whole "return to their roots" tactic is the best of ideas...
Well... depending on what that exactly entails...
I honestly think that Sonic should move more towards the 3-D gameplay (Generations was nice), but steer clear from the exclusively 2-D gameplay.
WiNTER BELLS
BumbleFan

Postby Spinehog » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:22 pm

Mordum wrote:What does "Sonic Adventure 3" even mean?

Was...was that not Sonic 06?

I'd say so.

Which is why I can also honestly say, had 06's gameplay not been broken, story been slightly less entangled, and side missions/hub worlds slightly less dead inside, I probably would have adored it.

I'm not saying it would have been a great game, but it would have an acceptable continuation of the Adventure formula, and that's pretty much what I want.

..oh and Chao Gardens 'though.
Spinehog
BumbleNoble

Postby scourge188 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:15 pm

WiNTER BELLS wrote:I honestly don't think the whole "return to their roots" tactic is the best of ideas...
Well... depending on what that exactly entails...
I honestly think that Sonic should move more towards the 3-D gameplay (Generations was nice), but steer clear from the exclusively 2-D gameplay.

I don't think there is anything wrong with going back to 2-D. At least for a new 3ds game. I think they have done a fine job with their handheld outings over the years.

If they make a new 3-D sonic, go with modern Sonic from Generations gameplay
scourge188
BumbleNewbie

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius