The Sonic 25th Anniversary Thread - It's a TRIPLE THREAT?

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: The Sonic 25th Anniversary Thread - It's a TRIPLE THREAT

Postby ToaArcan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:51 pm

Eh, Generations 3DS was bad. Rush and Colours DS were a bit too Boost to Win.

Speaking of the boost, I'd rather that was gone. Adventure-style levels are better than corridors which go into 2D every time they need you to do platforming.
ToaArcan
BumbleFan

Postby scourge188 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:10 pm

What was wrong with generations 3ds? I thought the gameplay was solid. Though I admit it did feel watered down compared to the console version.
scourge188
BumbleNewbie

Postby ToaArcan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:30 pm

scourge188 wrote:What was wrong with generations 3ds? I thought the gameplay was solid. Though I admit it did feel watered down compared to the console version.

The game being entirely in 2D when the 3DS can handle 3D games just fine. Slapping the Homing Attack on Classic Sonic when that removes half the point of having Classic Sonic in the first place. The bosses that were chosen (Big Arm, which only appears in Knuckles' run of the complete Sonic 3&K, Biolizard, which Shadow fought, and the Egg Emperor, which isn't from a modern Sonic game). THe levels that were chosen all being worse choices than the ones on console. SA2's level being one that Sonic didn't even go through. Replacing the rival fights with rubber-banding races. Changing the levels and the bosses but keeping the same three rivals rather than using Knuckles or Blaze and someone appropriate from the "Dreamcast" era (Emerl? IDK) for any of them. Having two fewer levels. Having four of the nine levels be the first level of their respective game. Special Stages still being a thing. Sonic Heroes Special Stages, to boot. Replacing the hub with a menu. Still using those awful Rush-style cutscenes. The Time Eater only appears as a single image in a box until the actual boss. Even less story than the console version, astoninishingly. Bugs.
ToaArcan
BumbleFan

Postby Azul » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:35 pm

ToaArcan wrote: Replacing the rival fights with rubber-banding races. Changing the levels and the bosses but keeping the same three rivals rather than using Knuckles or Blaze and someone appropriate

That would have been better incentive to get both copies.

and someone appropriate from the "Dreamcast" era (Emerl? IDK)

Who falls under the Modern era.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby ToaArcan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:38 pm

Azul wrote:
ToaArcan wrote: Replacing the rival fights with rubber-banding races. Changing the levels and the bosses but keeping the same three rivals rather than using Knuckles or Blaze and someone appropriate

That would have been better incentive to get both copies.

and someone appropriate from the "Dreamcast" era (Emerl? IDK)

Who falls under the Modern era.

"Dreamcast" was in inverted commas because it included Sonic Heroes, which was in 2004, same year as Battle and Advance 3. In fact, Battle came out on the same day as Heroes. Gens quite clearly took Modern to be from 2005-2010.
ToaArcan
BumbleFan

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:38 pm

Emerl is post-Heroes but pre-06, I wouldnt call that the modern era. (keeping in mind that Heroes was included in the "dreamcast era" in the console game despite not being on the dreamcast. maybe "gamecube era" would be more appropriate).

also the console's hub world may as well have been a menu, being as flat as it was
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby RaceProUK » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:03 pm

Mr.Unsmiley wrote:keeping in mind that Heroes was included in the "dreamcast era" in the console game despite not being on the dreamcast. maybe "gamecube era" would be more appropriate.

Generations referred to it as the "Adventure" era.
RaceProUK
BumbleFan

Postby ToaArcan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:06 pm

Well, Heroes wasn't an Adventure game either, so that's just replacing one misnomer with another.
ToaArcan
BumbleFan

Postby RaceProUK » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:12 pm

ToaArcan wrote:Well, Heroes wasn't an Adventure game either, so that's just replacing one misnomer with another.

It was a non-Boost 3D platformer with multiple simultaneous interweaving stories culminating in a final fight.

Sure sounds like an Adventure game to me.
RaceProUK
BumbleFan

Postby Azul » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:17 pm

ToaArcan wrote:"Dreamcast" was in inverted commas because it included Sonic Heroes, which was in 2004, same year as Battle and Advance 3. In fact, Battle came out on the same day as Heroes. Gens quite clearly took Modern to be from 2005-2010.

Battle came out December 4, 2003. Heroes on December 30. I want to argue that it's not that simple but I don't have anything other than "It's not that simple," and that doesn't really hold up againist solid deduction. Plus, it only furthers your point since it came out before Heroes.

RaceProUK wrote:Generations referred to it as the "Adventure" era.

Not quite.

RaceProUK wrote:It was a non-Boost 3D platformer with multiple simultaneous interweaving stories culminating in a final fight.

Pretty sure he meant gameplay in the style of Sonic Adventure. Plus, it's not that simple.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby RaceProUK » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:35 pm

Azul wrote:
RaceProUK wrote:It was a non-Boost 3D platformer with multiple simultaneous interweaving stories culminating in a final fight.

Pretty sure he meant gameplay in the style of Sonic Adventure. Plus, it's not that simple.
Aside from the team mechanic, the gameplay style seems pretty much the same: 3D and no Boost.
RaceProUK
BumbleFan

Postby Azul » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:48 pm

RaceProUK wrote:Aside from the team mechanic, the gameplay style seems pretty much the same: 3D and no Boost.

The team mechanic is far from being the only difference between Adventure and Heroes.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby RaceProUK » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:50 pm

Azul wrote:
RaceProUK wrote:Aside from the team mechanic, the gameplay style seems pretty much the same: 3D and no Boost.
The team mechanic is far from being the only difference between Adventure and Heroes.
So, are you going to explain, or do I have to beg or something?
RaceProUK
BumbleFan

Postby Azul » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:55 pm

RaceProUK wrote:So, are you going to explain, or do I have to beg or something?

I was kind of hoping you were aware of the different obstacles, difference in mobility, and the fact that none of the returning characters and their subsequent clones play the same way their Adventure counter parts did.
Last edited by Azul on Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby RaceProUK » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:09 pm

Azul wrote:
RaceProUK wrote:
Azul wrote:
So, are you going to explain, or do I have to beg or something?

I was kind of hoping you were aware of the different obstacles, difference in mobility, and the fact that none of the returning characters and their subsequent clones play the same way their Adventure counter parts did.

Then the differences must be subtle to the point of vanishing, as I feel almost no difference between them.
RaceProUK
BumbleFan

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius