The Sonic 25th Anniversary Thread - It's a TRIPLE THREAT?

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

The Sonic 25th Anniversary Thread - It's a TRIPLE THREAT?

Postby Betz! » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:14 pm

Well, its officially 2016 and the 25th anniversary of Sonic the Hedgehog. Wow. 25. Just. Geez. Anyways, we've already got a logo (I'll put the pic up later. Chromebook issues.), a clue in the pumpkin from the halloween art for Sonic Channel...?, and a possible second game. So happy birthday Sonic, and I hope that this year turns out well.

Would you guys be ok with a classic styled game and gameplay? I personally want something with modern Sonic and how he handled in Generations. Thoughts?
Last edited by Betz! on Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:29 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Betz!
BumbleKnight

Re: The Sonic 25th Anniversary Thread - It's a CLASSIC

Postby LordLaharlsVassal » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:39 pm

To be honest, I am rather tired by Sega's attempt at creating the magic that is the classic games, they just try to recreate the old levels look and feel and miss what made those games good to begin with (they were new back then). I wish they knew how to make a new and interesting Sonic game without recreating Green Hill zone for the millionth time.
LordLaharlsVassal
BumbleFan

Postby akessel92 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:11 pm

LordLaharlsVassal wrote:To be honest, I am rather tired by Sega's attempt at creating the magic that is the classic games, they just try to recreate the old levels look and feel and miss what made those games good to begin with (they were new back then). I wish they knew how to make a new and interesting Sonic game without recreating Green Hill zone for the millionth time.

Exactly! If they are gonna go like the 2-D sections as generations again at the very least do something different. Like I don't know let's say.... Have being able to play around with other characters like tails, knuckles, Amy, and heck even shadow if possible. And also have newer levels that no one has seen before.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby RaceProUK » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:31 pm

How different do you mean by 'different'? Because the last time Sega tried something truly different, we got the Werehog.
RaceProUK
BumbleFan

Postby FancyFool » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:02 pm

RaceProUK wrote:How different do you mean by 'different'? Because the last time Sega tried something truly different, we got the Werehog.

Which was an interesting and potentially awesome idea that was simply tainted by poor choice of gameplay. Honestly, why do people keep using the Werehog as an example of a "bad idea" in Sonic when there are far better examples of such ideas in Shadow the Hedgehog (the game, not the character) and Sonic 06. Compared to the awful ideas present in both those games, the Werehog is the least offensive and, dare I say, a legitimately good idea that could've been handled better.

With that said, I really hope this game doesn't turn into yet another nostalgia-trip. It's good to remember and take queues from the past but not if it overtakes the things that have been introduced after the beloved past (namely the characters that have been introduced after the Classic games) and prevents new ideas being used in favor of ones already used.
FancyFool
BumbleFan

Postby RaceProUK » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:23 pm

FancyFool wrote:
RaceProUK wrote:How different do you mean by 'different'? Because the last time Sega tried something truly different, we got the Werehog.
Which was an interesting and potentially awesome idea that was simply tainted by poor choice of gameplay. Honestly, why do people keep using the Werehog as an example of a "bad idea" in Sonic when there are far better examples of such ideas in Shadow the Hedgehog (the game, not the character) and Sonic 06.
Because it's the most recent experiment that didn't work, which is why I used it an an example in this particular context. So, did you simply ignore context, or are you just bitter someone dared criticise the Werehog?
RaceProUK
BumbleFan

Postby Duck Army » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:28 pm

FancyFool wrote:

Which was an interesting and potentially awesome idea that was simply tainted by poor choice of gameplay. Honestly, why do people keep using the Werehog as an example of a "bad idea" in Sonic when there are far better examples of such ideas in Shadow the Hedgehog (the game, not the character) and Sonic 06. Compared to the awful ideas present in both those games, the Werehog is the least offensive and, dare I say, a legitimately good idea that could've been handled better.

With that said, I really hope this game doesn't turn into yet another nostalgia-trip. It's good to remember and take queues from the past but not if it overtakes the things that have been introduced after the beloved past (namely the characters that have been introduced after the Classic games) and prevents new ideas being used in favor of ones already used.

Yeah, I say the Were-Hog could have been interesting if it actually behaved differently and made Sonic have to control it, but it behaves the SAME, making it have no purpose at all.
Duck Army
BumbleFan

Postby Xabin » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:35 pm

What about Sonic Lost World? That was the epitome of "let's try something different", and it flopped horribly.
Xabin
BumbleCitizen

Postby RaceProUK » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:44 pm

Xabin wrote:What about Sonic Lost World? That was the epitome of "let's try something different", and it flopped horribly.
I don't think copying Super Mario Galaxy really counts.
RaceProUK
BumbleFan

Postby ToaArcan » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:05 pm

Lost World had "Scrapped Mario/Sonic crossover" written all over it.

I also want to see something new that isn't "Wasn't Sonic 1 amazing!?" the umpteenth time (Sonic 3 was better). We've revisited GHZ so many times that it's lost its appeal. I'm tired of "Just Sonic" gameplay. I'm tired of weak plots and lame jokes. I'm tired of trying to pretend that Eggman's a threat. I'm tired of everyone bar Sonic being just there to please fanboys.
ToaArcan
BumbleFan

Postby FancyFool » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:09 pm

RaceProUK wrote:
FancyFool wrote:
Which was an interesting and potentially awesome idea that was simply tainted by poor choice of gameplay. Honestly, why do people keep using the Werehog as an example of a "bad idea" in Sonic when there are far better examples of such ideas in Shadow the Hedgehog (the game, not the character) and Sonic 06.
Because it's the most recent experiment that didn't work, which is why I used it an an example in this particular context. So, did you simply ignore context, or are you just bitter someone dared criticise the Werehog?

Admittedly the latter. I somewhat suspected you named the Werehog because it was the most recent experiment that (sadly) didn't work out. But still, why name an idea that, ultimately, did little harm to this franchise just because it's the most recent when there are ideas that did incredible harm to this franchise and just happen to be a bit older? You could've named the guns, vehicles, or the swearing from Shadow or the hyper realism or overly complex plot of 06 as examples in place of the Werehog and it'd make more sense since those ideas did FAR more damage to this franchise than the Werehog ever did and could.
Last edited by FancyFool on Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FancyFool
BumbleFan

Postby Xabin » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:10 pm

Well, according to a recent poll on TSSZ, almost 50% of the fandom that they polled wants a game remaking the Sonic Adventure style of play, so hopefully Sega will keep that in mind when they deal with the new games. Likely not, but it's good to dream, right?
Xabin
BumbleCitizen

Postby Penguin God » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:41 pm

I don't think Sega pays much attention to TSSZ polls. It has been a while since Sonic Team made a full title, which really, makes me hope for the one thing Sonic's always needed: a long development period. I just want a good game, and for that you need the time to make said game. Whether it uses Sonic or Classic!Sonic, whether it has surreal landscapes or realistic ones, as long as Sonic plays right (which hopefully they don't make an Adventure style game because that would totally invalidate the long development period) I'll have fun with it.

I don't mind Green Hill being referenced a lot, the same thing happens for 1-1 of Mario, it's a big milestone. Every franchise ever references their roots: heck, outside of Generations, Sonic has wandered farther away in experiments and additions than any other big mascot franchise I know.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby lalalei2001 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:42 pm

How about Rayman? EVERY game in that series was radically different!
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby RaceProUK » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:56 pm

FancyFool wrote:But still, why name an idea that, ultimately, did little harm to this franchise just because it's the most recent when there are ideas that did incredible harm to this franchise and just happen to be a bit older?
I'm sorry; next time I want to mention something that's the most recent, I'll deliberately choose something that's not the most recent just so you don't get upset.

Xabin wrote:Well, according to a recent poll on TSSZ
Hardly a representative sample of the fanbase, given half the people in the comment sections are idiots who will spew bile and hatred without prompting.
RaceProUK
BumbleFan

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius