Are Mobians gods?

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Are Mobians gods?

Postby ReifuTD » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:36 am

When I use the term god I mean the loosest definition, like for example in eastern culture that every being that has inhuman powers are called gods/demons or at least translate to something like that. I think the most accurate word on thinking of would be Kami from Japanese mythology. Gods are the closest term thinking that they would get and still the general idea.

Now in many cultures there are many stories about beings that have powers that normal humans usually don't. Sometimes they're called hobbits, fairies, leprechauns, elves gods or demons/deva and kami. The idea that they are generally some kind of smaller than humans with some kind of powers.

Looking at the Mobians in Sonic's world many of them seem to have powers that humans just aren't shown to possess, and actually when they fight like between the Egg Army forces in the Freedom Fighter forces both sides made up of Mobians with many humans usually being sidelined stuck just watching, This reminded me of the mythical stories that had deities fighting each other in some kind of war with normal humans this watching. Which makes me wonder how humans in Sonic's world actually view Mobians as? Specially with the Shattered World Crisis going on. Something that the general humans race seem to can do nothing about (with the exception of Eggman) but here have the furry beings running around and taking control of crap pushing people around saying fallow us. Some of them like the freedom fighters are even saying that they can fix everything.

I'm not saying that Mobians or at least most of them see themselves as any special beings or gods when comparing themselves to humans, from the Mobian perspective they are just normal people. But a lot of people that made up the old pantheons of creature/gods saw themselves as normal but would act more extreme because of their abilities.

I'm also not saying that that most humans see Mobians as gods or at least most modern day ones. But I can imagine from the perspective of human culture developing in a world that has abilities that they don't possess that Mobians can be easily deified and the given some kind of reverence to.

I find myself thinking of the Japanese kitsume and other animal the deities/kami were in Japan you have shrines and staff dedicated to these creatures where people at least make some kind of offering to get good favor from them or bring luck. Other cultures have concepts of forest spirits that do the same thing. Mobians seem to kind of fit the role these kind of creatures. And I can easily imagine some kind of tradition where humans give gifts to Mobians to bring good luck.

I think another good example would be the elves and dwarves and from Lord of the Rings but without the superiority complex, actually a hobbit's temperament would probably be a better allegory. Anyway I'm referring to beings that are above their normal humans or have some can the magical quality about them that humans don't. They are still killable by human hand but some cases may not be easy.
Last edited by ReifuTD on Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Re: Are Mobains gods?

Postby Toby » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:17 pm

I should hope not. Terrible things happen when they are.

Spoiler: show
Toby
BumbleNoble

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:29 pm

I don't think that's a case. At best after thousand of years people might forget how thinks were and pray to gods such as Blue Blur, Chaos Controller and The Biggest, god that walk among living.
Also, I think Tails is based on some Japanese spirit.

Also, what's with "mobain" instead of "mobian"? I thought it was a typo, but you used that several times
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Specs64z » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:35 pm

"A superhuman being or spirit worshiped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity."

I'd say no. Not really. If Enerjak is specifically defined as a Demi-God (they said "Living god" at one point, but I'm pretty sure he's a demi-god canonically), then the others aren't even close. Though post-reboot universe has yet to make any such definition.

Unless you consider the fans that "worship" Sonic in a 4th wall breaking context.
Specs64z
BumbleFan

Postby ReifuTD » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:38 pm

MetalSkulkBane wrote:
Also, what's with "mobain" instead of "mobian"? I thought it was a typo, but you used that several times

it's a very easy word to get turned around specially I think most Words or at least English words have "ai" instead of "ia" Like the "ae' in "Israel" some people might end up spelling it as "Isreal"
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Re: Are Mobians gods?

Postby ToaArcan » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:15 pm

I think it's possible to argue something to that effect. Sonic's Super form is enough to stop a full-power God of Destruction, after all.
ToaArcan
BumbleFan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:27 pm

"Injustice: Not Enough Fast"

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Penguin God » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:04 pm

They're just animals. Their powers are mostly just animal abilities outside of a couple specifically modified individuals. Most Mobians aren't even "powered" in the first place. They're hardly god-like, any more than Roger Rabbit or Felix the Cat were gods.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Village » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:27 pm

In a meta sense, yes they are a bunch of super powered people, who's stories are told through books and books/movies/games and other media. And people subscribe to whichever one their favorite is. And are worshiped by masses.

In a very meta sense, yes video game characters, comic book characters , movie guys, in many ways have become new gods of sorts.

In universe the only one I might put under god status is shadow? But that's under potential god stutus, he's currently god JR. He's Hercules, hes doing it. Would like to see a shadow a 1000 years in the future , where folks worship him or some @#$%.

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:"Injustice: Not Enough Fast"

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

I like this
Village
BumbleCitizen

Postby Spin » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:22 pm

That does sound intriguing and quite possible if you consider early human civilization and how there was a lack of knowledge in the way the world worked. As humans our society is moving forward in advancements and knowledge everyday.

So while the majority of modern humans could know and accept the Mobians as just anthropomorphic animals due to having become use to them, there could be an unfounded amount of myths and legends about Mobians from the ancient humans.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby ToaArcan » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:38 pm

I think technically, Shadow would be the least qualified, because, while he's powerful, he was grown in a tube. Also, for all his power, he gets getting beaten by Sonic.
ToaArcan
BumbleFan

Postby Village » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:18 pm

ToaArcan wrote:I think technically, Shadow would be the least qualified, because, while he's powerful, he was grown in a tube. Also, for all his power, he gets getting beaten by Sonic.

Not trying make people angry the statement: Some might argue that all gods are, in fact, of human construction. Also he is related to a giant space monster, so "old ones" could also be used as a reference

Also , he's beaten sonic up. So I don't know... what that even means? Like he beat sonic up in the season finale of sonic boom, the only reason he got hit was because eggman was around. Not to mention .... This isn't about sonic vs shadow. Lets end this here, before I have to bring up the long series of things that people who like to make that statement about shadow conveniently forget. This isn't about that, well It might actually be about one of those things.
_______
Spoiler: show
You remember that the shadow arc, and the subsequent arc with knuckles? i'm going to do some dahlsim esque stretching and try to compare that, to tales of gods hiding among humans, to shadow and his inhibitor rings. So at the end of that shadow fall thing, shadow takes his inhibitor rings off, burns someone who is basically the equivalent of a sonic final boss to death with ease, with no chaos emeralds actually. In the arc, he mentioned he has grown in power, and wouldn't even need to be super to beat the guy. After burning someone to death... because murders that guy , not he fell into an dimensional hole and gets defeated like so many sonic bosses in their " oh their own hubris got them" no shadow just kills this man .After shadow, ends this man procedes to rip through the fabric of time and space to teleport himself over miles in the airless vacuum that is space to get inside of the gun space ship.

So what does this have to do with the god thing? Ok , so the next arc with knuckles & knuckles & knuckles. He fights eclipse and knuckles, he beats eclipse, he ties with knuckles. Right, but wait a minute... didn't he... murder someone? With ease? That was like final boss level , why didn't he wanna murder them? Because he didn't, centuries of tales involving gods mention the gods that hide among people, or demons if you wanna go that route, hiding amongst the people using their powers to help people. Or hinder them depending on what the situation is. Shadow during the fight with eclipse, drew power from the chaos emerald to stop time. Question, why did shadow not during the stopped time, just take his inhibitor rings off grab the emerald again absorb more power, use chaos control again, throw eclipse up jump high into the air, use a chaos blast and kill him like he did that leader guy.

Well one is, that its a giant butt plot hole, and that arcs sorta bad....

Or two he didn't want to kill eclipse and saw some humanity in him... hedgehoganity....mobianity?....Alienatity.... They are dragoney kinda... dragonanity? He saw something worth preserving in eclipse and let him live, because as we saw before, had no issue murdering these aliens. And odds are eclipses care for those color esque aliens will probably come into play later with that sort of thing.

And on to knuckles, why when knuckles threw shadow.... heck... even whilst being thrown, did shadow not just teleport back to the emerald. Heck he could have used the power of the emerald to do that? IIRC from the guy who created shadow himself, he didn't even need to touch the emerald emeralds just need to be around to boost shadow. why didn't he just teleport back to it? Knuckles can't glide as fast as warping space time, he could teleported back to it, waited for knuckles would have been beyond powered up, stopped time, beat him up , or kill him. I mean he was " endangering the world" why didn't he go spock on em?

Because, the arc was bad that was used as a very poor justification for a fight between characters that wouldn't even really want to fight in the first place, to the degree in which they magically forget shadow can teleport pretty far without a choas emerald shown in the arc before, and shadow being beside the master emerald before being thrown away from it, and not just stopping time relocating knuckles or some such mess. Because the arc was poorly thought out.

or

Because he didn't want to, it was a respect ego thing, if shadow wanted to kill him or anyone especially near a chaos emerald he probably could have. He could stopped time and just... snapped his neck. Time stop is very OP. He didn't want to kill him, he had no intentions, he may even gotten enjoyment out of that fight.

So what does this have to do with anything, The argument could be made that shadow with the rings on, is hiding his explosive murder power. A sort of human mode, hiding amongst people, helping them. Which he does, its littterally his job, and when its time to go get serious, takes em off , parts the seas.

so there contradictions, one of those being. " aren't there tales of gods just murdering people whist doing that, like zeus as he so oft does on whims along with try to screw humans" to which i would like to believe shadow isn't that brutal, and two wouldn't multiple inhibitor rings removals do harm to shadow. While there has been speculation it could, no actual confirmation besides, " he gets tired" . However in this instance, depending on where you stand on that last thing , this could be taken in two parts. When they arrive to angel island,
A) this was immediately after fighting the black arms, shadow was already tired. And that makes shadow look way more impressive and knuckles actually look worse
or
B)This was a period after and shadow had been since recovered so there is no actual explanation he could not have done those things.

My point is , shadow's inhibitor rings is sort of like a god hiding amongst humans, maybe sort of if you think about it

_________

That is me comparing shadow and his inhibitor rings to gods hiding amongst humans, way more thought put into that then i should have.

Next we could compare sonic to Hermes or Mercury. Or knuckles to samson. Or blaze to or any number of sun gods, and maybe specifically Egyptian ones because of the cat thing. And tails being a multi-tailed fox to actual Japanese mythos. Recently popularized in the general non Japanese public blond haired ninja. A lot of stretching, but its interesting none the less.
Village
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mobotropolis » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:12 am

I think it depends on what your definition of a " God " is.

It may seem that the mobians are the dominant force on the planet because we spend 99% of our time focusing on them. We also are spending a disproportionate amount of time focusing on mobians who could be considered in the top percentile of their species. The " average " mobian isn't really like Sonic and Friends. They seem to be comparable to the average human in ability, but smaller.

Mobians were on the losing side of The Great War. Mobotropolis had been sacked, their Queen and Crown Prince were missing and presumed dead, and they were hopelessly outclassed by the human's then-superior technology and tactics. The tide of the war was turned when an Overlander crossed over and gambit a win for the mobians. Then said Overlander sacked Mobotropolis (again), exiled the King, easily captured the vast majority of the citizens, and pretty much bought the seat of power for the mobian empire to its knees and held it there for a decade.

If you are a mobian there is a 50% chance that you served Robotnik/Eggman at one point in your life. Robotnik had roboticized half the planet before the BEM preformed what was essentially a miracle. The mobians didn't even save themselves from the roboticizer. Adding insult was the BEM deducing that mobians were better off being roboticized. These weren't just space-thugs but advanced alien super-scientists. They probably knew what they were talking about.

The Humans/Overlanders living on Mobius are largely protected by GUN and The United Federation. Post-Reboot GUN protects most of the planet with rebels like the Freedom Fighters making up a relatively small amount of the resistance in comparison.

I imagine the average human on Mobius knows about Sonic the Hedgehog if for no other reason than because he often headlines national news, but they rely on GUN more to provide them with protection against Eggman.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby ReifuTD » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:06 am

Mobotropolis wrote:I think it depends on what your definition of a " God " is.

It may seem that the mobians are the dominant force on the planet because we spend 99% of our time focusing on them. We also are spending a disproportionate amount of time focusing on mobians who could be considered in the top percentile of their species. The " average " mobian isn't really like Sonic and Friends. They seem to be comparable to the average human in ability, but smaller.

Mobians were on the losing side of The Great War. Mobotropolis had been sacked, their Queen and Crown Prince were missing and presumed dead, and they were hopelessly outclassed by the human's then-superior technology and tactics. The tide of the war was turned when an Overlander crossed over and gambit a win for the mobians. Then said Overlander sacked Mobotropolis (again), exiled the King, easily captured the vast majority of the citizens, and pretty much bought the seat of power for the mobian empire to its knees and held it there for a decade.

If you are a mobian there is a 50% chance that you served Robotnik/Eggman at one point in your life. Robotnik had roboticized half the planet before the BEM preformed what was essentially a miracle. The mobians didn't even save themselves from the roboticizer. Adding insult was the BEM deducing that mobians were better off being roboticized. These weren't just space-thugs but advanced alien super-scientists. They probably knew what they were talking about.

The Humans/Overlanders living on Mobius are largely protected by GUN and The United Federation. Post-Reboot GUN protects most of the planet with rebels like the Freedom Fighters making up a relatively small amount of the resistance in comparison.

I imagine the average human on Mobius knows about Sonic the Hedgehog if for no other reason than because he often headlines national news, but they rely on GUN more to provide them with protection against Eggman.

Actually in the old continuity Overlanders where the creatures of living myth and was different then humans or at least at first I think under Ian's run he tried to put them under the same race. If I remember an Overlander was something that tend to big people with four in sted of five fingers with buck rogers like technology. You can't say Overlanders were the same as humans and in the old continuity were superior to Mobians and there for Mobians in the new continuity aren't superior to humans who aren't Overlanders. The positions of powers are way different.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby Penguin God » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:29 am

Everybody in the old continuity had strange highly advanced technology, and the fingers were incredibly inconsistent. Honestly, the only real difference was that Overlanders were more prone to being drawn badly and having anime hair.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius