STH#279 - Spoilers & Discussion

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: STH#279 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby akessel92 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:37 pm

Man this issue was intresting the A plot on the reveal of the shamar freedom fighters was well rather unexpected. Granted they may not be first desert freedom fighter who have questionable alignment, however it's a different dynamic for them. I also agree with nepthys' reasoning. Sonic maybe good but whenever he and his friends duke it out with Eggman, it's where people need to stay out of their way. (Need I mention station square's insurance premiums and the fact the moon is blown in half and etc.?) And also she and the shamar freedom fighters worry of what Eggman will do to them.

And cassia and clove's story, oh mah GERD! The feels are strong with this one. Though I saw someone else's opinion on it that there is a whole that they didn't see a doctor but I mean look where they live? Before Eggman they had they had little access to medical care due to them living in the thunder plains. Also, it's stated that cassia's condition is a long term one and from my friend's experience with type one diabetes and diabetic blindness as a result of it. She had to go through operations to keep her able to have enough sight to see which hampers her drawing. (Sorry if I made this personal but...) my point is even if cassia and clove had a doctor they don't do any good.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby NiTROACTiVE » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:25 am

This issue was pretty fun, and I like how the story played out. Seeing Sonic as the Werehog fight all of those badniks and henchmen was a really nice opening page. Seeing Antoine slice up those fire badniks was cool to see too, and the way one half of one of them was still on fire was also interesting. Also, Antoine said "my friends" (which was the phrase "mes amies") in French in case you're curious. It was funny how Big was screaming when he saw those Gaia serpents as well as how he killed them by squeezing them with his hands, and I have to say that battle was pretty anticlimactic, but funny too. The start of the battle with Nephthys looked nice, and the character sure looks amazing. It was interesting how Spike used that badnik half as a torch when they found that prisoner, and the way he attacked those Gaia monsters with that tornado-like attack was nice. The Mortal Kombat reference where Sonic said Scorpion's famous quote "GET OVER HERE!" as well as grabbing Nephthys when he was far away was really cool to see. The battle was also kind of anticlimactic too, as ripping off his cape ended the battle quickly. With Sonic and his allies getting an Gaia key, Sonic, Antoine and Big head off to get the next one. However, after that, there was a big shocker. It turned out that the Shamar Freedom Fighters and Nephthys... are friends!!!! Could this mean that the Shamar Freedom Fighters...... are BAD GUYS?! :shock: But wait a minute, if they're bad guys, then why would they help Sonic and his pals in the first place? Something doesn't feel right at all. The first story was nice overall, and it was real fun. As for the second story, which was the last part of the "Hidden Costs" story arc, it was sure something alright. It seemed that Cassia would be able to keep the blue Chaos Emerald, even though she would let Bunnie go. But seeing Bunnie swipe the emerald from Cassia and fly away was really a surprise, especially how Cassia didn't let that henchman shoot her. It got even more interesting when Cassia collapsed in front of her sister Clove, and it was a real shocker too. Even the discussion with Bunnie telling Sally that she knew that some of Eggman's workers only work for well-living and not for greed and evil when she was undercover before the planet broke apart. When Bunnie and Sally got back, Antoine made a grammar error when he said "You are hurted!" when he should have said "You are hurt!" He also said "My poor Bunnie!" in French (which was the phrase "ma pauvre Bunnie!"). With the blue Emerald, they now have all seven Chaos Emeralds, but I wonder when the Tails Doll will strike? The way Eggman lied to Clove about her sister's condition was also a shocker, and that made me feel sad for the sisters. The way they hugged when Cassia was in the hospital bed was also heartwarming. The Off-Panel was also pretty funny with all those Cookie Monsters, and the picture of Sonic in the Fan Art Section by Thomas H. was... interesting. Overall, this was one heck of an issue with plenty of twists and turns, and I had fun reading it.
NiTROACTiVE
BumbleClan

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:36 am

Meliden wrote:Not read the story myself, but I do like how the additional parts of Nephthys (the Egyptian goddess)' mythology are being brought into play here. I think I pointed out how the myths don't actually paint her as evil when her name was first brought up, but that seemed to fly out the window early on. Well, turns out it didn't, and she's basically being the villain as a necessity (just as death is a dark but necessary facet of life). Plus, reading into it further, she was known as being a very maternal goddess, and I hear that the concept art uses words like "motherly" and "caring" to describe her. Neat.

Ooo, that is neat. :D
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Tikikata » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:44 am

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to feel angry that Spike, Sonar, and Trevor are bad guys or incredibly excited that they're working with the super cool vulture lady.

Anyway, REALLY loved this issue! Absolutely loving the new character designs!
Tikikata
BumbleNewbie

Postby Weeg the Ninji » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:15 pm

Personally, I feel something more akin to disappointment than anger towards them. They're not a bunch of Snively-esque slimeballs just out for themselves. They're genuinely good-hearted people who want to do the right thing, they just don't believe in themselves enough to actually do it. They could probably use a good slap around and motivational speech from our heroes. Eventually anyway. For now, they're more interesting to have around as they are.
Weeg the Ninji
BumbleNewbie

Postby Tikikata » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:20 pm

Weeg the Ninji wrote:Personally, I feel something more akin to disappointment than anger towards them. They're not a bunch of Snively-esque slimeballs just out for themselves. They're genuinely good-hearted people who want to do the right thing, they just don't believe in themselves enough to actually do it. They could probably use a good slap around and motivational speech from our heroes. Eventually anyway. For now, they're more interesting to have around as they are.

Ah, "disappointment" is a better word. I was thinking "angry" more along the lines of, "Oh, c'mon!" kind of deal, but "disappointment" is definitely better, haha.

I hope they turn around, because I really like Trevor. He's so cool. <3
Tikikata
BumbleNewbie

Postby DaddlerTheDalek » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:17 pm

Kudos! Issue #278 and especially #279 where really impressive! Image
DaddlerTheDalek
BumbleKnight

Postby Penguin God » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:22 pm

The Freedom Fighters being gray is fine, but I am a little disappointed that yet another of the Egg Bosses is just a decent person who had to get by.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Weeg the Ninji » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:45 pm

Why? Of the 10 we know, only 2 (3 if you count Cassia individually) are morally gray, and not in the same ways or for the same reasons either. Even if the remaining 2 were also such, that's still over half who are pretty unrepentant, some of them even being cruel or power-hungry in their own right.
Weeg the Ninji
BumbleNewbie

Postby Mobotropolis » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:25 pm

The Freedom Fighters being gray is fine, but I am a little disappointed that yet another of the Egg Bosses is just a decent person who had to get by.

Thunderbolt seems to be genuinely evil. Axel too if the solicits are enough to go off of.

I'd guess from the ones we know so far -
Spoiler: show
Akult, Thunderbolt, Axel, Mondred, The Battlebird Lord-guy, and the United Federation Egg Boss who may or may not be Snively are are all evil.

Conquering Storm is just serving the person she believes is the strongest because that is the way of her clan.

We haven't even seen the Dingo-looking-guy yet so it can go either way. I'm leaning towards him being evil.

The rest seem like they're varying levels of victims.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby Zulon Eredas » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:15 pm

You forgot about Tundra, he'd fit with Conquering Storm based on beliefs.
Zulon Eredas
BumbleNoble

Postby Mobotropolis » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:34 pm

I don't think the evidence is conclusive to judge Tundra which is why I omitted him.

Tundra was a jerk even before Eggman came to town. He could just be using Eggman as an excuse to exert his dominance and enforce his ideals onto his people whom he feels he has a right to control. Sonic jumping to the conclusion that Tundra isn't worth reasoning with makes me believe that he is supposed to be genuinely evil.

It could also swing the other way, but we'll see.

I guess for those keeping score --

Axel - We don't know Axel's motivation, but he does not seem to like Eggman. Leaning on evil.
Mondred - Seems to be evil in his own right and working with Eggman to his benefit.
Akult - Was evil pre-reboot. No reason to think that has changed.
Thunderbolt - Seems to be the only Egg Boss who is genuinely loyal to Eggman. Evil.
The Battlelord - Absolutely Evil.
Conquering Storm - I do not think she is evil, but think she conceded to Eggman's rule.
Tundra - Jury's out. I believe he is evil and using Eggman to further his agenda.
Clove - Is not evil, but forced to work with Eggman for Cassia's sake.
Nepthys - Is not evil, but concedes that living under Eggman is inevitable.
Squid Girl - We haven't seen her. I think she is not evil.
Dingo-guy - We haven't seen him. I think he will be evil.
Unseen Egg Boss - Since I think it's Snively, evil.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby Alset » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:34 am

Assuming they're as bad as they were Universe ago?

Mordred Hood celebrated Eggman's demise with flogging, so definitely evil.

Meanwhile Conquering Storm was rather eager to take over Dragon Kingdom in StH 205 and SU 15, so rather evil. Really whole clan sounds nasty.
Alset
BumbleNewbie

Postby Penguin God » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:19 am

I'm actually including Bill and Beauregard here, even if they're not around anymore. The character concept just isn't that exciting when it's being trotted out for the fourth/fifth/sixth time. Cassia and Clove I don't have that problem with as they've got more personality than the rest, but I was interested in Nepthys as a threat instead of just a sort-of-kind-of-antagonist.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby QuantamEdge » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:59 am

God, this issue had some emotional firepower. I admit, first story for the most part felt like it following too many riffs of recent stories, but then the ending comes along and just turns things around completely for me. I really wonder what kind of hopelessness Nephthys feels if she thinks Sonic can't ever fully beat Eggman and the whole fight against him is useless. It entirely makes sense, but it works for me.

However Hidden Costs did it better. I could almost feel the soul crushing horror Clove experienced when Eggman revealed he lied, completely dropping her more calm, cool as ice mood. Weirdly I feel more sorry for her than for Cassia, since she's still kinda annoying, but the story makes me understand it might just be her trying look like a big girl that's not scared. Glad to see more of them later this month, because their potential is huge.
QuantamEdge
BumbleKnight

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius