The ages of the Sonic cast

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: The ages of the Sonic cast

Postby Meliden » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:45 pm

Well that's either art inconsistency (which would mean he's supposed to look like a teen but doesn't) or an error from the artist in factoring the lack of aging.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Sparky » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:48 pm

ToaArcan wrote:
samuraiman26 wrote:I just felt the need to reply when you said it never made sense got Tails to be 8.

I feel his age is justified very well and it is part of his character. The fact that he is only 8 adds to his accomplishments. Yet, his young age gives him a sense of innocence and naivety that isn't found as much during the preteen years.

I just feel sometimes people think that his age is ridiculous because he is relatively mature and not childish all the time. But either way it still shows up.

Tails as an 8 year old to me makes sense because of these reasons. In fact that is where I like him best. If he gets older he loses some of that. But again these are just my thoughts, nothing I am trying to state as a fact.

When Tails was four in AOSTH, he acted like four year old.

When Tails was ten in pretty much everything else until 2004, he acted like ten year old.

When Tails was eleven in Archie, he acted like an eleven year old.

Now Tails is eight, and he acts like he's in his mid-teens. The innocence just isn't there- It's not like he fails to understand more mature concepts, him being the smartest character in the series means that he generally holds the high ground in pretty much every discussion.

TheFatPanda wrote:Shadow being physically a teenager isn't because of suspended animation, it's because he was literally created at that physical age. As in, he wasn't created as a baby then grew up, he literally came into being with the body of a teenager. Nor has he grown up since then.

The only aspect of Shadow that ages is the amount of time he's been alive. Otherwise he'll look like a teenager forever.

And yet he's taller in XYL.

Tails in the games was eight from Sonic Adventure onwards. In fact, I'm pretty sure he was stated to be eight even before that. The comics as of Issue 252 (and probably Worlds Collide) reflects that.
Sparky
BumbleNoble

Postby samuraiman26 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:14 pm

Edit: @ToaArcan
But see that is the thing though: Even though Tails is mature enough to understand mature concepts, he also has a sense of naivety and occasional immaturity. Just because one is smart doesn't mean being 8 does not suit him. I just simply don't agree when people say that about his age. I think Tails should be a child kid brother who is mature, but still tries to see the good in all. If he acts like a teen then he loses some of that which doesn't characterize him. Like in Colors, Tails doesn't suspect Eggman of having a plan.

His feats lose some weight also, the old he gets. An 8 year old genius with mechanics isn't the same as a 15 year old genius.

I understand you don't agree but, I just respectfully feel that Tails is an 8 year old who acts more mature than most but still acts like one. An 8 year old doesn't have to be unaware or unable to have a adult conversation like what it seemed you were implying. But it is clear through how Tails acts (being naive, overjoyed and exited at what Sonic does, wagging tails, hand motions when excited) that he is a child and hasn't mastered life as much as say Sonic or Knuckles who are more confident.
samuraiman26
BumbleNewbie

Postby ToaArcan » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:40 pm

Sparky wrote:Tails in the games was eight from Sonic Adventure onwards. In fact, I'm pretty sure he was stated to be eight even before that. The comics as of Issue 252 (and probably Worlds Collide) reflects that.

He was listed as twelve by SA2's website.

Added, there are points where the comic does something better than the games, and shifting the comic to reflect the games in that case just makes things worse.

samuraiman26 wrote:Edit: @ToaArcan
But see that is the thing though: Even though Tails is mature enough to understand mature concepts, he also has a sense of naivety and occasional immaturity. Just because one is smart doesn't mean being 8 does not suit him. I just simply don't agree when people say that about his age. I think Tails should be a child kid brother who is mature, but still tries to see the good in all. If he acts like a teen then he loses some of that which doesn't characterize him. Like in Colors, Tails doesn't suspect Eggman of having a plan.

His feats lose some weight also, the old he gets. An 8 year old genius with mechanics isn't the same as a 15 year old genius.

I understand you don't agree but, I just respectfully feel that Tails is an 8 year old who acts more mature than most but still acts like one. An 8 year old doesn't have to be unaware or unable to have a adult conversation like what it seemed you were implying. But it is clear through how Tails acts (being naive, overjoyed and exited at what Sonic does, wagging tails, hand motions when excited) that he is a child and hasn't mastered life as much as say Sonic or Knuckles who are more confident.

The first and second paragraphs don't add up here. Tails doesn't display those latter behaviours in Colours, he snarks at Sonic and claims that, without his own involvement, Sonic would've run around in circles like an idiot. Classic Tails, who is clearly a lot younger and fits the roles you established, is a different story.
ToaArcan
BumbleFan

Postby samuraiman26 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:31 am

Eh, to each their own I suppose. I just don't agree with that but I respect how you feel. But will say this:
: that snarkiness is something the new writers added and snarkiness again doesn't mean he isn't a child. Some kids can be very snarky.

But Tails still uses very expressive body language with his hands or when Sonic does something if you watch the cutscenes and look again. Like he is in enjoyment with his brother. He does all of those things I listed in Colors and Generations (In Lost World also ) to some degree. My point is, I believe my paragraphs do add up. He hasn't changed THAT much to me,besides a little more sass.

But I just wanted to make a concluding observation while I agree to respectfully digress as I know you have your reasons also.
samuraiman26
BumbleNewbie

Postby Toby » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:41 am

ToaArcan wrote:He was listed as twelve by SA2's website.

I'm gonna need to see some proof before just accepting that Sonic Team decided to change the age of a character that's been eight since the beginning, and ever since, after your "fact".
Toby
BumbleNoble

Postby ToaArcan » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:33 am

Toby wrote:

I'm gonna need to see some proof before just accepting that Sonic Team decided to change the age of a character that's been eight since the beginning, and ever since, after your "fact".

Well, the website's offline now, but I don't think it's that unlikely. Characters' ages have changed in the past.

Amy was eight when she was introduced, and relative to Sonic, her sprite is smaller than Tails'. She was aged up by an arbitrary amount in SA1, then confirmed to be 12 by the Heroes manual.
Rouge was listed as 17 in the manual, but was 18 prior to that (And I've heard that she's considered to be 18 again now, but I'm not sure).
Knuckles was 16 in Sonic 3, and is stated to be 17 in the Heroes manual, and no, this doesn't count as growing up.
Charmy was 14 in Knuckles Chaotix, then bumped down to six in Heroes.
Who do you think told DiC, Archie, and Fleetway that Tails was ten way back in 1992?

SEGA have a history of doing this, and it's fairly obvious that they probably don't care about ages anymore after Generations. Sonic's birthday party doesn't mention how old he is, but Classic Sonic and Classic Tails are clearly a lot younger than their counterparts, with Classic Tails being a pretty convincing eight year old, but if that's the case, then how old is the taller, more mature, and deeper-voiced Modern Tails?

Generations has put SEGA in a position where the characters have clearly gotten older, but they seem quite unwilling to specify how much.
ToaArcan
BumbleFan

Postby The KKM » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:42 am

They've gotten older by 0 amount. They're cartoons, they're ageless. They're Lupin III flashbacking to the infancy of a 25-or-so-year-old princess and looking exactly the same except with the jacket from the era he was in. They're Scrooge McDuck getting rich in the Klondike gold rush and using laptops in 2010. The Sonic franchise just doesn't work nor is intended to work with coherent aging, stop trying to Don Rosa this.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Sparky » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:55 pm

ToaArcan wrote:
Toby wrote:

Well, the website's offline now, but I don't think it's that unlikely. Characters' ages have changed in the past.

Amy was eight when she was introduced, and relative to Sonic, her sprite is smaller than Tails'. She was aged up by an arbitrary amount in SA1, then confirmed to be 12 by the Heroes manual.
Rouge was listed as 17 in the manual, but was 18 prior to that (And I've heard that she's considered to be 18 again now, but I'm not sure).
Knuckles was 16 in Sonic 3, and is stated to be 17 in the Heroes manual, and no, this doesn't count as growing up.
Charmy was 14 in Knuckles Chaotix, then bumped down to six in Heroes.
Who do you think told DiC, Archie, and Fleetway that Tails was ten way back in 1992?

SEGA have a history of doing this, and it's fairly obvious that they probably don't care about ages anymore after Generations. Sonic's birthday party doesn't mention how old he is, but Classic Sonic and Classic Tails are clearly a lot younger than their counterparts, with Classic Tails being a pretty convincing eight year old, but if that's the case, then how old is the taller, more mature, and deeper-voiced Modern Tails?

Generations has put SEGA in a position where the characters have clearly gotten older, but they seem quite unwilling to specify how much.

All of the characters official ages are on Sonic Channel.

Edit: and Knuckles was stated to be 16 in the Heroes manual.
Sparky
BumbleNoble

Postby Meliden » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:20 pm

1. Females tend to be smaller than males of the same age (see: Blaze being shorter than Silver and Jet, all 14), and it was likely to be the case there since both were officially 8 in the classic era (Sonic Jam has Tails' age).
2. The age in the Heroes manual was an acknowledged error, she was never 17 outside of that manual
3. Knuckles was 15 in the classic era, then became 16. Compare to Sonic, who was 16 in the classic era (although his Japanese Jam profile had 15~16 instead, so this one is at least consistent in JPN information), and aged down to 15 in the post-Adventure era.
4. Charmy was 16 in the NA Chaotix manual, but at the same time he was the only one without an age in the JPN Chaotix manual, so he could have easily been a kid by SEGA Enterprise/Sonic Team's reckoning and made apparent with his re-debut in Heroes. Vector and Espio did change age, but not as drastically (from 16 to 20 and from 17 to 16, respectively).
5. Considering that AoStH, which was also a DiC-made Sonic cartoon, put Tails at four and a half years old exactly, I don't think DiC were told anything, the writers just did what would work for their plots. Archie was more heavily based on SatAM by the time it started to get more plot driven, so it went by that, and Fleetway, entirely independent of them, didn't even have an age for Tails.
6. Classic Sonic and Classic Tails basically represent the retro brand, they're different entities to the modern cast as it were, and this is reflected in materials that come with some of the retro merchandise post-Generations. About six months ago a two-set box of classic Sonic and Tails came out, and their ages were 15 and 8 respectively, just like they were in Sonic Jam.
7. It's pretty clearly a case of sitcom birthday when Sonic Channel still goes by the ages prior to Generations. And Mario and Sonic London came out after Generations, and its trivia questions went off the Sonic Channel ages exactly as well, including having Sonic at 15.
8. I like even numbers.
Last edited by Meliden on Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby The KKM » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:04 pm

Fleetway shouldn't be used in age discussions, incidentally, as the passage of time was implied to be equal IRL and in comic. No-one had stated ages, but the years kept passing by and they'd refer to events earlier in the comic as years ago.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby DoNotDelete » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:04 am

So I looked up the ages of some of my favourites:

I've always imagined Vector and Espio to be older - in their early twenties at least - Vector being closer to 25 than 20. 20 seems too young an age for somebody to have their own detective agency.

Rouge's appearance, demeanour and choice in clothing makes me think she's a much more mature woman - closer to 30 than 18. That her official age is 18 really surprises me. Blaze dresses older than a 14-year-old too.

I'd like to think that Wave is older than 18, but that's not too off the mark to be honest. Must really bug her that Tails - an eight-year-old - is a better engineer than her. Eight seems way too young an age for Tails.

It really is hard to get a measure of the ages of some of the characters in this comic.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby Sparky » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:35 am

DoNotDelete wrote:So I looked up the ages of some of my favourites:

I've always imagined Vector and Espio to be older - in their early twenties at least - Vector being closer to 25 than 20. 20 seems too young an age for somebody to have their own detective agency.

Rouge's appearance, demeanour and choice in clothing makes me think she's a much more mature woman - closer to 30 than 18. That her official age is 18 really surprises me. Blaze dresses older than a 14-year-old too.

I'd like to think that Wave is older than 18, but that's not too off the mark to be honest. Must really bug her that Tails - an eight-year-old - is a better engineer than her. Eight seems way too young an age for Tails.

It really is hard to get a measure of the ages of some of the characters in this comic.

I don't understand why almost everyone seems to have the idea that all the game characters should be older than they actually are.
Sparky
BumbleNoble

Postby Meliden » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:45 am

Because most people on English-specific forums will probably have Western views on people's behavioural standards at certain ages, while Japanese behavioural standards are rather different. Most of the independence the Sonic cast show would be associated with those around 18-24 in the west, while it's expected younger in other societies (you're expected to be a salaryman at 23 in Japan, so 20 isn't actually super young for that). That said, I do have to wonder if an average 12 year old is as independent as Amy anywhere, because 12 seems a bit on the low end for that.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby faceclams » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:11 am

Maybe it's not as much because of Japan's real life age standards and more because they like to feature young protagonists. 10 year old pokemon trainers and all that.
faceclams
BumbleNewbie

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius