Sonic's Taste in Human Women

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Sonic's Taste in Human Women

Postby ToaArcan » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:35 pm

Fun fact about the test of love: There's a glitch that can cause you to lose a life and have to redo the trial if you pick Amy. It happened to NTom and FTA in the original Hellfirecomms playthrough of 06.

I don't think the Test of Love really counts, though. Sonic's put in a situation where he is forced to choose one of those people in order to continue his mission. There is no "I love neither, now let me rescue your bloody princess, you obstructive berks!" option, and since there's no dialogue from Sonic, it could easily be a case of he makes a choice begrudgingly and only to move on with the mission, or it doesn't bother him because he knows the situation isn't real.

Added, getting hit with the retcon stick puts a hole in its validity, and half the cast were OOC in 06, so it's probably not the best example. Especially since the game was intended to be a reboot, which was then aborted because the game was so poorly received.
ToaArcan
BumbleFan

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:50 am

ToaArcan wrote:Fun fact about the test of love: There's a glitch that can cause you to lose a life and have to redo the trial if you pick Amy. It happened to NTom and FTA in the original Hellfirecomms playthrough of 06.

I don't think the Test of Love really counts, though. Sonic's put in a situation where he is forced to choose one of those people in order to continue his mission. There is no "I love neither, now let me rescue your bloody princess, you obstructive berks!" option, and since there's no dialogue from Sonic, it could easily be a case of he makes a choice begrudgingly and only to move on with the mission, or it doesn't bother him because he knows the situation isn't real.

Really? That's hilarious :(hearty laughter):

But I don't know, I would assume that Sonic wouldn't do it if he didn't want to. The fact that we can't choose 3rd option isn't trial guy being mean, but Sega saying "stick to the story, dang it". Like the fact that you can't kill any NPC in any Sonic HUB. It's not that they're protected by magic shield, it's just that it wouldn't be something that Sonic would do, (plus story would get really awkward onward).
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby ToaArcan » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:53 am

MetalSkulkBane wrote:

But I don't know, I would assume that Sonic wouldn't do it if he didn't want to. The fact that we can't choose 3rd option isn't trial guy being mean, but Sega saying "stick to the story, dang it". Like the fact that you can't kill any NPC in any Sonic HUB. It's not that they're protected by magic shield, it's just that it wouldn't be something that Sonic would do, (plus story would get really awkward onward).

You can hurt them in SA1, though. Not sure about 06.
ToaArcan
BumbleFan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:58 pm

ToaArcan wrote:
MetalSkulkBane wrote:

You can hurt them in SA1, though. Not sure about 06.

not really. YOu just cause them to flinch, probably as a reference to him blasting past them
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby ToaArcan » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:30 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:not really. YOu just cause them to flinch, probably as a reference to him blasting past them

They don't do it if you run into them, though, only if you actually do something that deals damage in game.

Besides, using gameplay quirks to define Sonic's character would leave us with a much slower hero (Sonic's speed has only reached about 200mph in-game), who can gain Amy's hammer-pulling powers just by being near her, or breathe underwater by being near Cream (Advance 3) and has the capacity to be a total jerk to every single one of his friends for no reason (Chronicles), and beat a Chao to death for, again, no real reason. (Adventure 1 and 2).

Just because you can do it in the game, doesn't mean Sonic would. And just because you can't do something in the game, doesn't mean Sonic wouldn't do it anyway/
ToaArcan
BumbleFan

Postby Azul » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:28 pm

ToaArcan wrote:
Mavrickindigo wrote:not really. YOu just cause them to flinch, probably as a reference to him blasting past them

They don't do it if you run into them, though, only if you actually do something that deals damage in game.

Besides, using gameplay quirks to define Sonic's character would leave us with a much slower hero (Sonic's speed has only reached about 200mph in-game), who can gain Amy's hammer-pulling powers just by being near her, or breathe underwater by being near Cream (Advance 3) and has the capacity to be a total jerk to every single one of his friends for no reason (Chronicles), and beat a Chao to death for, again, no real reason. (Adventure 1 and 2).

Just because you can do it in the game, doesn't mean Sonic would. And just because you can't do something in the game, doesn't mean Sonic wouldn't do it anyway/

Factsssssss.

But let's keep this conversation on topic. Flynn already locked one thread recently for derailing and I gr8ly h8 it if it happened here.

So uh, yeah, to my opinion, Sonic and human chicks don't mix. Sure, you got your Roger Rabbits and your Brian Griffins but I'd prefer it if he went in the Snoopy direction and stayed in his lane. Besides, the former two are playing off the animal/human thing because it's funny. And I really think it'd make much more sense if they utilized the characters they have now *coughAmycoughcough* instead of introducing new ones altogether. Don't care what happened in the comics. Don't care what happened in 06. Obviously, someone was smoking some mighty heavy stuff but I'm glad it's done and over with and it's never gonna happen again. Thoughts?
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:57 am

ToaArcan wrote:

Okay, obviously we can't judge Sonic's power by game, as they are limited by controls. But I think we can get some grasp on his personality.

Play Mario 64 and notice how Mario gets squashed by Thwomp, but later he's fine. Should I assume Mario can regenerate crushed bones? Probably not, it's game logic (then again, who know like Mario works).
But he does save the princess. This isn't something player can do for funsies, like shotting civilians in Half Life, this is something that designers want you to do. From this I can assume Mario is a heroic type of guy.
By applying that logic to 2006 I think something as important as "choosing your true love" can't be just assumed to be untypical game design. That clearly a moment that should fit into Sonic personality. (It's awkwardly implemented and has no impact on anything else, but still counts).

Azul wrote:So uh, yeah, to my opinion, Sonic and human chicks don't mix. Sure, you got your Roger Rabbits and your Brian Griffins but I'd prefer it if he went in the Snoopy direction and stayed in his lane. Besides, the former two are playing off the animal/human thing because it's funny. And I really think it'd make much more sense if they utilized the characters they have now *coughAmycoughcough* instead of introducing new ones altogether. Don't care what happened in the comics. Don't care what happened in 06. Obviously, someone was smoking some mighty heavy stuff but I'm glad it's done and over with and it's never gonna happen again. Thoughts?

Well, it's obvious that forcing a new love interest on character that already has one wasn't a good idea.
But out of curiousty: and what If Sonic was real? If mobians actually walk around us in real world. Would you then be against mix relationship? (ignoring the possibility of freaky human/hedgehog children, that changes the argument).
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Azul » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:12 am

MetalSkulkBane wrote:Well, it's obvious that forcing a new love interest on character that already has one wasn't a good idea.
But out of curiousty: and what If Sonic was real? If mobians actually walk around us in real world. Would you then be against mix relationship? (ignoring the possibility of freaky human/hedgehog children, that changes the argument).

Yeah because that's beastality. Doesn't matter if they can walk on twos and speak human language. That just ain't right.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:05 am

Azul wrote:
MetalSkulkBane wrote:Well, it's obvious that forcing a new love interest on character that already has one wasn't a good idea.

Yeah because that's beastality. Doesn't matter if they can walk on twos and speak human language. That just ain't right.

Is it though? I mean if Anthropomorphic Animals With full Sentience actually existed would they technically count as animals? It seems way more complicated than Beastilaity honestly.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby SonicSoul » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:25 am

It's really only bestiality if the animal party isn't sapient and can't give consent.

Interspecies romance? Yes.

Bestiality? No. And I really wish people could stop throwing that phrase around to express their discontent with interspecies romance in any media.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby Azul » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:34 am

SonicBlueRanger wrote:Is it though? I mean if Anthropomorphic Animals With full Sentience actually existed would they technically count as animals? It seems way more complicated than Beastilaity honestly.

It's not more complicated. They'd just be walking, talking, thinking for themselves animals. And if we're going with anthropomorphic by Sonic standards, then that's even worse.

SonicSoul wrote:It's really only bestiality if the animal party isn't sapient and can't give consent.

According to what? Beastality is human animal "relations", no exceptions. And it's got nothing to do with consent. That's implying that only humans initiate such actions.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:37 am

Azul wrote:
SonicSoul wrote:It's really only bestiality if the animal party isn't sapient and can't give consent.

According to what? Beastality is human animal "relations", no exceptions. And it's got nothing to do with consent. That's implying that only humans initiate such actions.

we live in a world where only humans can initiate such actions. animals have their own mating rituals and whatnot but they cant consent to anything with a human. in a world with sapient animals though, the context would be completely different, yet you're treating it as if the the context wouldn't be different. we don't have any frame of reference for what it would be like it animals were anthropomorphic so we can't just say "no, it wouldn't work, based on how the world we live in now works." it wouldn't be the world we live in now
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:14 pm

It's kinda like a Human and an Alien having a romance in Sci-Fi. They're two different species sure but they're still consenting adults.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Azul » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:23 pm

Mr.Unsmiley wrote:we live in a world where only humans can initiate such actions.

No we don't. Male animals, notoriously dolphins and dogs, do it infrequently.

in a world with sapient animals though, the context would be completely different, yet you're treating it as if the the context wouldn't be different.

Sapient, yes, it'd be exactly the same because they'd still be animals only know they can communicate with us.

we don't have any frame of reference for what it would be like it animals were anthropomorphic

Just use your imagination.

so we can't just say "no, it wouldn't work, based on how the world we live in now works." it wouldn't be the world we live in now

I mean, unless they're more human than animal like Cheetah from DC Comics then it's not an issue becase they'd basically be human with some add-ons. But if they're let's say, Bowser it'd be a different story due to the possibility of being so radically different and incompatible in more ways than one.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby RaceProUK » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:41 pm

Azul wrote:They'd just be walking, talking, thinking for themselves animals.

That's... pretty much the definition of 'human', actually :)
RaceProUK
BumbleFan

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius