Sonic's Taste in Human Women

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Sonic's Taste in Human Women

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:42 am

So, recently, I was thinking about this and Ian's response to a related question in the Bumblekast got me thinking. Many people claim that Sonic is Aesexual. They say he has no interest in relationships and rather just run around and do his own thing. However, it seems to me that, more often than not, Sonic has exhibited more attraction or just even care, for human women.

1. Concept art has him having Madonna as a girlfriend
2. In Archie's Sonic Adventure adaptation, Sonic is seen serenading a bunch of human women, commenting on how the hidden city wasn't so bad.
3. Sonic and Elise in Sonic 06. He seems to interact with her much more often than he does with Amy, even if it is only on friendly terms.
4. Sonic and that girl from Sonic X. Much like with Elise, he seemed to go out of his way to make sure she had a fun adventure, meanwhile he's more or less nonchalant about Chris, his supposed best friend, in comparison.

So, even though the idea of human/mobian romance seems a bit squicky to Ian Flynn, it seems that SEGA themselves have no problem with it as their main character seems to exhibit a level of comfort with human women that he doesn't show anyone else
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Re: Sonic's Taste in Human Women

Postby Azul » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:21 am

Whoa whao whao, time the heck out. The only reason Sonic took out Helen, the girl in the wheel chair, was because he's a pretty swell guy who wanted to ensure she was able to see those flowers. There was absolutely no romantic intent behind it at all. And you can't use a scrapped concept as supporting evidence because by defintion, it's not even canon so Madonna is out of the question.

Let me be the first to point out that Sonic is a stand up and caring guy who looks out for his friends. I'm skeptical about the Archie adaption you've mentioned and I'd like some evidence before making a verdict because from the sound of it alone, I'm suspecting you took it out of context.

As for the Ellise thing: You can't say Sonic hung out with Ellise more than Amy because Sonic's been around Amy for a much longer time. Plus, in that game he was protecting her from Eggman the whole time. The stand up guy who looks out for his friends trait comes into play here. I see the attraction here on Ellise's end but I don't see it on Sonic's.

The fourth argument is fundamentally flawed base on it's premise. Sonic risks his neck to keep Chris out of danger all of the time. In episode 52, he goes out of his way to travel with Chris, even though he had the Chaos Emeralds and could have gone home anytime, because he cared about him that much. Not to mention he cried when he had to leave him. And Sonic never cries. He hates crying.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:49 am

Azul wrote:Whoa whao whao, time the heck out. The only reason Sonic took out Helen, the girl in the wheel chair, was because he's a pretty swell guy who wanted to ensure she was able to see those flowers. There was absolutely no romantic intent behind it at all. And you can't use a scrapped concept as supporting evidence because by defintion, it's not even canon so Madonna is out of the question.

I wasn't saying he had a romantic interest in her, just that he was showing a predisposition to helping out human females in more than just "save their life" sort of scenarios.

Let me be the first to point out that Sonic is a stand up and caring guy who looks out for his friends. I'm skeptical about the Archie adaption you've mentioned and I'd like some evidence before making a verdict because from the sound of it alone, I'm suspecting you took it out of context.

Not sure how you can say I took this out of context (from Sonic the Hedgehog #81)

As for the Ellise thing: You can't say Sonic hung out with Ellise more than Amy because Sonic's been around Amy for a much longer time. Plus, in that game he was protecting her from Eggman the whole time. The stand up guy who looks out for his friends trait comes into play here. I see the attraction here on Ellise's end but I don't see it on Sonic's.

Well in Sonic CD, Sonic doesn't seem to care much about Amy when she shows affection. There's no little cutscene for him even acknowlediing her. All the player can do is stand there and look annoyed, or run away from her. Then, after you rescue her, he has that same neutral, somewhat annoyed, look on his face and you never see her again. When we see the end of the game, he drops her off and runs away. There is no walking around and goofing off in a field of flowers with her. Heck, the next time he sees her (Sonic Adventure), he tries to run away from her, because he seems scared of her.

The fourth argument is fundamentally flawed base on it's premise. Sonic risks his neck to keep Chris out of danger all of the time. In episode 52, he goes out of his way to travel with Chris, even though he had the Chaos Emeralds and could have gone home anytime, because he cared about him that much. Not to mention he cried when he had to leave him. And Sonic never cries. He hates crying.
[/quote]
a good point
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby ReifuTD » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:51 am

out side the comic I think in other media Sonic has interacted more human woman then Mobain ones. I like to call my self asexual because I never have had that much interest dating and actually I'm not that aroused by woman although I do interact with women well and like to flirt a little when appropriate. Woman in anime or cartoons on the other hand I can get aroused by probably because they are easier to objectify. I think that's the same thing with furries. But to me it's weird to look at real woman in a sexual way. Sonic in theory could find it easier to sexualize human woman then Mobain woman.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby Xabin » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:13 am

I think you're overthinking this, but to play devil's advocate, maybe it's a sort of "reverse furry" thing, where Sonic finds humans fascinating enough to fantasize about them in various ways. Being a species that is not only sentient, but completely different in design from a normal Mobian, does have some tantalizing aspects to it.
Xabin
BumbleCitizen

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:35 am

I really don't mind it honestly. I've always pictured Sonic as Pan or Omnisexual. I don't think Sonic cares about things like Gender or species honestly he's so laid back and go with the flow.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Penguin God » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:36 am

Sonic was about as amorous with Elise as he was with Chip. The Helen bit is just... the worst possible conclusion you could get from that scene. I'm not sure how one could get "Sonic likes human girls more than Mobians" from it, and yet, here we are.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Xabin » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:46 am

SonicBlueRanger wrote:I really don't mind it honestly. I've always pictured Sonic as Pan or Omnisexual. I don't think Sonic cares about things like Gender or species honestly he's so laid back and go with the flow.

Now I'm imagining Sonic's reaction to being plopped in a gender-bent Mobius. Seriously, though, while I agree his attitude may make him more amenable to different sexual orientations with his friends, I don't think it makes him pan or omni-sexual; he still personally likes the ladies, he's just not uptight about what other people feel about their own sexuality.
Xabin
BumbleCitizen

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:57 am

Personally I don't see Sonic as "asexual". Quite the opposite, with bunch of girls in "Adventure of Sonic", Percy in Sonic Boom, Sally Acorn. Archie example, etc. I think that most Sonic versions like attention from pretty girls.
What he doesn't like is an commitment and actual relation. This is probably reason why he avoids Amy.

As for "taste in human", I think he doesn't care. In their worlds being open for human-mobian relation isn't "furry", it's not being racist. For Sonic hot babe is hot babe. He might prefer mobian girl, but that depends from Sonic's incarnation.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with mobian/human relation, not as a concept anyway. Love is beautiful in every form, yadada. Besides "Who framed Robbit Roger" was never panned for Roger/Jessica couple. Sonic 2006 just did mistake of giving new love interest to sorta taken hedgehog (Amy or Sally), making Elise unlikable, using realistic graphics and being over all a terrible game.

Also, that Helen example is pretty stupid. Even using that fan-made movie would be a better argument.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Azul » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:54 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:I wasn't saying he had a romantic interest in her, just that he was showing a predisposition to helping out human females in more than just "save their life" sort of scenarios.

Then even mentioning her has no place in this conversation. That was highly misleading.

Also, that's looking way to into it. There's more than one way to be a hero. Chalking up Sonic helping Helen because he likes giving special attention to human girls doesn't make sense because helping people in any way is a huge part of his character.

Not sure how you can say I took this out of context (from Sonic the Hedgehog #81)image2squick5mesaving space, forgive me senpai

I'd really like to argue that's Sonic being an attention whore which is typical of him Archie-wise but this being in the ye olden days of the comic, I'm probably wrong.

Well in Sonic CD, Sonic doesn't seem to care much about Amy when she shows affection. There's no little cutscene for him even acknowlediing her. All the player can do is stand there and look annoyed, or run away from her. Then, after you rescue her, he has that same neutral, somewhat annoyed, look on his face and you never see her again. When we see the end of the game, he drops her off and runs away. There is no walking around and goofing off in a field of flowers with her. Heck, the next time he sees her (Sonic Adventure), he tries to run away from her, because he seems scared of her.

The only reason Sonic is even soft-core asexual in the games is because the higher ups at SEGA wanted Sonic to have a greater appeal to young boys. They thought that their fan base comprised of a majority of boys who still think girls are icky. In that day an age, Sonic was supposed to be a wild card in a world of princess saving, castle crashing platformers. Saving princess, getting the girl, those were both ancient cliches that SEGA sought to defy.

Then 2006 came around where they said "@#$^ the status quo, let's reboot the whole darn thing." Sonic's heroic nature and "you've got a friend in me mentality" has been established throughout the years and Sonic X. Sonic's being his usual chill self around Elise. He was the same way towards Blaze. The reason, in-universe, that he doesn't act super friendly with Amy is because she always all up in his grill. Ellise has feelings for Sonic but it's not the other way around. Sonic frolicking in a meadow of flowers with Elise is Sonic being Sonic.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby Xabin » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:59 pm

I think that's why people say that the whole Sonic/Elise thing is one-sided on Elise's end; there's clearly more affection shown toward Sonic by Elise than the reverse. Or should we ignore the whole "I don't care what happens to the rest of the universe" rant she has when realizing resetting time by blowing out the Flames of Disaster would prevent her from meeting Sonic at all? To me, that puts her further into the crazy stalker motif than Amy does (though Amy does have that bit where she said that, if it came down to defending Sonic or fighting against him for the safety of the world, she'd go with the former, but that's likely because of her belief that Sonic would never be the source of the world's destruction).
Xabin
BumbleCitizen

Postby Azul » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:11 pm

Xabin wrote:I think that's why people say that the whole Sonic/Elise thing is one-sided on Elise's end; there's clearly more affection shown toward Sonic by Elise than the reverse. Or should we ignore the whole "I don't care what happens to the rest of the universe" rant she has when realizing resetting time by blowing out the Flames of Disaster would prevent her from meeting Sonic at all? To me, that puts her further into the crazy stalker motif than Amy does (though Amy does have that bit where she said that, if it came down to defending Sonic or fighting against him for the safety of the world, she'd go with the former, but that's likely because of her belief that Sonic would never be the source of the world's destruction).

"If I had to choose between the world and Sonic, I'd choose Sonic!" -- Amy Rose, Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)

Now, it could be just me but I thought that she meant if she had to saving the world and Sonic, she'd choose Sonic. I'm hoping you have the right inerpretation because if that were the case, that'd put them on the same bus to Bat @#$% Crazy Town. I like this interpretation better because it's you know, not bat @#$% crazy. On a similar note, Rouge said the same thing to Shadow after Omega's Wave Ocean tenure.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby ToaArcan » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:34 pm

Azul wrote: On a similar note, Rouge said the same thing to Shadow after Omega's Wave Ocean tenure.

Context is key. When Rouge says that, she's talking about the situation Mephiles has been taunting Shadow and Omega with- That, when the world goes to ruin following Iblis' awakening, the world blames Shadow (Probably due to Mephiles looking like him and engineering that) and wrongfully imprisons him. When Amy says it, she's expressin that she will stand by Sonic even if he turns into a villain and actively causes the world's destruction. When Elise says it, the options are "Blow the flame out, restore reality, never meet Sonic" and "Don't blow the flame out, float with Sonic in an entropic void forever because time and space got nommed by Solaris". Rouge is pledging to stand by Shadow if he is betrayed by the people he tries to protect, which is a great and heartwarming moment. Amy and Elise are willing to forsake the world to be with Sonic, which just comes off as disturbing and selfish.

Anyway, with regards to the idea that SOnic likes human women....

The example from Archie is the only one that holds water, though even that's sporting some mighty large leaks. IIRC, at that point in the comic, SOnic's preferences in dates amounted to "Is approximately his age" and "Has two X-Chromosomes". It strikes me more as an excuse to get some shameless cheesecake into the comic than a legitimate character trait.
ToaArcan
BumbleFan

Postby Toby » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:51 pm

Sonic had a date with Amy he missed at the beginning of Black Knight. During the game's credits, Sonic didn't deny it was a date either.
Toby
BumbleNoble

Postby Azul » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:09 pm

ToaArcan wrote:Context is key. When Rouge says that, she's talking about the situation Mephiles has been taunting Shadow and Omega with- That, when the world goes to ruin following Iblis' awakening, the world blames Shadow (Probably due to Mephiles looking like him and engineering that) and wrongfully imprisons him. When Amy says it, she's expressin that she will stand by Sonic even if he turns into a villain and actively causes the world's destruction. When Elise says it, the options are "Blow the flame out, restore reality, never meet Sonic" and "Don't blow the flame out, float with Sonic in an entropic void forever because time and space got nommed by Solaris". Rouge is pledging to stand by Shadow if he is betrayed by the people he tries to protect, which is a great and heartwarming moment. Amy and Elise are willing to forsake the world to be with Sonic, which just comes off as disturbing and selfish.

I thought Xabin's interpreation amounted to Amy saying "If the world turns on Sonic, I'd side with Sonic," in the same vein as what Rouge said to Shadow. I see now that I was wrong and Amy and Elise are both bat @#$% crazy.

Anyway, with regards to the idea that SOnic likes human women....
The example from Archie is the only one that holds water, though even that's sporting some mighty large leaks. IIRC, at that point in the comic, SOnic's preferences in dates amounted to "Is approximately his age" and "Has two X-Chromosomes". It strikes me more as an excuse to get some shameless cheesecake into the comic than a legitimate character trait.

I agree with the later of these statements.

Toby wrote:Sonic had a date with Amy he missed at the beginning of Black Knight. During the game's credits, Sonic didn't deny it was a date either.
Is this supposed to be a counter argument againist Sonic liking human chicks or did you want to point out that Sonic is at least mildly into other mobian chicks? Or some third thing I missed? Because a counter argument for that could be that he's into both. Not that I support it.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius