Let's Improve the comic! part 1

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Do you agree with this?

Yes
22%
Sorta
13%
Meh
30%
No Way!
26%
This guy is a stinky poo face!
9%

Total votes : 23

Re: Let's Improve the comic! part 1

Postby FancyFool » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:44 am

DoNotDelete wrote:Nice passionate comment. But just a tad overblown and a little bit exaggerative/misrepresentative of an otherwise cool and calm discussion.

Responding politely: there is such a thing as over-representation. Why should the Werehog/Shattered World crisis be given so much pagetime when the Werehog is a feature unique to only one Sonic game? One I suspect a lot of Sonic fans who follow the comic have not even played (I haven't).

It's not ridiculous to question if a comic has taken something to the point of overrepresentation, or if a storyline has been too ambitious/extended beyond its entertainment value. You personally might have a vested interest in the Werehog (and that's cool, I'm not going to berate you for that), but I'm not getting that same vibe from everyone here and I've seen comments elsewhere expressing disinterest in the Werehog component.

You can present your interest in the current storyline without being inflammatory or berating people who don't share the same opinion. This is how discussions work.

Right, my deepest apologies about that. I was beyond frustrated with all the hatred the Werehog was getting on this site when I saw your comment and it was around 2:00 AM in my area, so I wasn't exactly in a good state of mind when I wrote that piece. That and I'm not a mature person, no matter how eloquently I try to speak...

So, speaking (semi)rationally in response to what you've said, I honestly fail to see how the Werehog is getting too much representation. Since "Shattered World Crisis" began, the Werehog didn't appear until the eight issue, which may not seem like much but, given the monthly release of comic books, that's a pretty long time for it to appear in the adaptation of its own video game. And then after four issues of prominence (which is full-on justified since it was the debut of the Werehog and one long overdue), the Werehog doesn't make nearly much of an appearance. It only appeared TWICE in the Champions arc (the second time after the arc pretty much ended), it appears halfway through StH 272, and then it doesn't appear AT ALL in SU 75 and the whole of "World's Unite," with its own video game adaptation being paused for an ultimately disappointing and unnecessary crossover. And then the Werehog made two more appearances after WU, appearing in StH 276 and 278 but notably not 277. So, overall, the Werehog makes pretty infrequent appearances, which I'd hardly call "over-representation."

And even if the Werehog was being represented a lot, taking a lot of page-time that could've been used for Sonic, well OF COURSE it would have a lot of page-time! Shattered World Crisis is essentially an adaptation of Unleashed, the one game the Werehog ever appeared in and had a pretty fundamental part in (given that the Werehog itself was a result of the entire plot). You said it yourself, the Werehog is a unique feature of the game and only that game, so it kinda warrants a good amount of representation. For comparisons sake, that would be like if I complained in an adaptation of Colors that the Wisps get a lot of page time. Well, OF COURSE they're getting a lot of page-time: this is an adaptation of their debut game and one they had a fundamental part in, their plight by Eggman being the core plot of the entire game.

But at least the Wisps are officially a stable of the series now and get to have more appearances after Colors; the Werehog, on the other hand, is exclusive to Unleashed. Once Shattered World Crisis is over, which is going to be soon given Ian's determination to finish it fast, then the Werehog will never appear again! As said, this "Shattered World Crisis" is essentially the Werehog's last ever appearance in any official Sonic media, and here you people are trying to deny him any more appearances before that could even happen! That's why I was so freaking upset when I made that post: I'm a big fan of the Werehog and want to enjoy his very last appearance in this franchise (in the very medium that I personally think is the best piece of Sonic media right now) and you and other people are essentially saying "the Werehog needs to be removed right now, it needs to stop making appearances" in the middle of the adaptation of its own game.

I can understand if you guys are annoyed with the Werehog taking away focus from Sonic's core element- his speed. But Sonic as his normal self has had plenty of page-time in SWC and will have plenty more after SWC is over and done with. The Werehog, however, has limited appearances and so it be best to give him as much page-time as possible before SWC ends and takes the Werehog with it. Same deal with Chip, a character exclusive to Unleashed and won't be making relevant appearances again afterwards. If you guys want SWC to end sooner so the Werehog will go away, fine. But DON"T ever say that the Werehog's appearances should end right now, before SWC is close to ending. Of course, I guess that is what you were insinuating to begin with and if that was the case then I extra deeply apologize for kinda blowing up at you. But I doubt Specs64z was making the same insinuation when he said...
Specs64z wrote:(plz no wherehog)

And ditto for other people who have been objecting the Werehog so far...
FancyFool
BumbleFan

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:21 pm

MetalSkulkBane wrote:Sonic being "embodiment of chaos" doesn't mean he immortal (well, in theory), but more that impossible becomes possible around him. Probability isn't working as it should, he's "constant inconstancy" quoting Eggman.
Which doesn't change then fact that I don't really like it. It still implies that Sonic is immortal and that kills all the tension (yes we know he's immortal, but while reading we try to not think about that).

I didn't really get that it implied that "Sonic is Immortal", more that "Sonic is a walking time bomb", the more you interact with him, the more likely something's going to blow up in your face. Why deal with that when you can take Sonic apart much more easily, and safely, by destroying those around him? To quote Eggman after blowing up Antoine, "After ten-plus years, I'm not pushing my luck".[/quote]
Let me say it differently: Sonic is not unbeatable, he can be punched in the face, shoot in the back. All you can't say it "aha, now there is no for Sonic to win".
..Then again that is only my own interpretation/fanon, I can't really prove it with any quote.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Specs64z » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:04 pm

Not gonna lie, It's largely because I'm biased against the wherehog rather than much to do with screen (page?) time or the meaning of Sonic. It's not because it's too slow, either. It's mainly because it's too boring. The levels were too long, too easy (or in rare cases way too hard cheap), and too abundant (wii version, haven't played HD). I dislike the wherehog as a result, and it's presence in the comic is just bleh for me.
Specs64z
BumbleFan

Postby PeléPelé06 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:01 pm

Speaking as someone who started reading the book after the reboot, my two cents would be that I don't really have any problems with it at present, though I'm honestly unsure if I'm only this patient with the story precisely because this is the first arc of it that I have read.

From the start I understood that the Unleashed adaptation would be basically all set-up; I grew up reading lots of long-running shonen manga, so I'm fine with that as long as A: it's not boring (I really enjoyed Countdown to Chaos, unlike some on this board who have been reading the comic for longer than me, and The Chase is my favorite story arc of the comic so far--liked it more than Champions, which is still great) and B: it has a satisfying payoff.

If future arcs don't make the build-up feel worth it, though, there is real possibility that I may start enjoying the comic less.
PeléPelé06
BumbleFan

Postby FancyFool » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:43 pm

Specs64z wrote:Not gonna lie, It's largely because I'm biased against the wherehog rather than much to do with screen (page?) time or the meaning of Sonic. It's not because it's too slow, either. It's mainly because it's too boring. The levels were too long, too easy (or in rare cases way too hard cheap), and too abundant (wii version, haven't played HD). I dislike the wherehog as a result, and it's presence in the comic is just bleh for me.

I figured that bias was the reason for that statement given your negative thoughts on UnWiished back in a previous topic with the "Werehog" being a factor for your negative opinion, which I'm not going to object to since I've always thought lowly of UnWiished, with the overabundant and watered down Night Levels being a major factor (seriously, HD Night Levels may be longer than the individual Wii Night Stages but they blow them out of the water in terms of overall quality).

I do, however, object to how you're using the Wii Night Stages as a reason to dislike the Werehog as a character/concept when, quite frankly, such a thing as gameplay shouldn't be a factor on the quality of a character/concept. Like, does Big the Cat, as a character, deserve the huge amount of hate he gets for the fishing levels in SA1? Imho, no he doesn't. It's not Big's fault that he was lumped into such boring and disruptive gameplay; Big's gameplay could've been anything else in that game but SEGA decided to have his gameplay be fishing. Same deal with Silver in regards to his gameplay in 06 and, yes, the Werehog and the GoW gameplay it got stuck with. Silver's gameplay in Sonic 06 didn't have to be a slow, puzzle-based platformer, it could've been gameplay more identical to the standard Sonic gameplay just with Telekinesis thrown into the mix, and same with the Werehog but with stretchy arms and a little bit of combat instead.

Also, I'm sure I don't have to tell you this but you shouldn't let bias get in the way of things, especially when taking part in critical, logical discussion (hypocritical of me to say given my previous "outburst" but meh). For instance, and I heavily apologize in advance to everyone, I'll admit that I have a bias against Sally Acorn. I never liked her and I don't think I ever will. There's just many things about her that rub me the wrong way and unfortunately I can't properly explain most of them but the ones I can explain and are most relevant are: Sally's heavy prominence in the comics (without a doubt, she has the most overall focus of all the Freedom Fighters and even gets more focus than most the SEGA cast) and how Sally is mostly the in-universe reason for why Cream isn't being allowed to do anything legit as a member of the Freedom Fighters (I've already harped on this in my topic but Cream seriously needs to do something important in the comics soon and have that actually impact her character cause, as Mobotropolis pointed out, Cream has fundamentally done nothing since becoming a Freedom Fighter and not only is it making people question why she's in the FF in the first place but it's proving a lot of people's assessments on Cream being "useless" or how she should just be a minor civilian character instead of a major character taking part in the stories. The fact that Sally is usually the one who enforces Cream's inaction by sidelining her for her own safety a la SatAM!Tails and EarlyArchie!Amy, both moments that got old and tired VERY FAST, doesn't help warm me up to Sally at all, especially since Cream is one of my favorite characters being sidelined by a character I never liked).

So yeah, I'm not fond of Sally and I would personally love it if she got downgraded in the comics. But that doesn't mean she should be demoted or be called a bad character and I'm not qualified to say she should since I have a personal and emotional dislike for her character. There's no genuine reason for Sally to be downgraded, she's not badly affecting the comics (as far as I know), so if I were to say "Sally should be demoted or even removed from the comics" or "Sally's a bad character" then all I'd be doing is needlessly angering fans of Sally. It's especially a stupid thing to do since the comics is the only piece of medium allowing Sally continued appearances, so me wanting Sally to be demoted out of pure bias isn't fair to Sally's character and her fans AND I myself will lose all credibility (assuming I had any to begin with...).

So back to you, that's kind of what you were doing with that little comment. You have a personal dislike for the Werehog born from a bad experience (a bad experience that really shouldn't be used to judge the concept) and so you want it gone from the comics just because. If you wanted the Werehog to stop appearing because it, say, overwhelms all the page time in the comics, then I'd me more understanding of your desire but as it stands you simply want the Werehog gone because you personally don't care about it and that's not acceptable.
FancyFool
BumbleFan

Postby croubo » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:00 pm

laviarray wrote: “What does Archie’s Sonic have to offer?”

For me, it comes down to the fact that it’s just a fun and enjoyable read. The cast, the character interactions, the humor, the art, all of it.

Then again, while I’ve always liked Sonic, I’ve always been more of a casual fan, veering more towards the comics and cartoons than the actual games (I love the classic Genesis titles and the Adventure titles, but otherwise I'm pretty ‘meh’ about the games), so take that as you will.

I don’t think the Freedom Fighters are boring at all, just underused, currently. I still see them as the same characters that I’ve come to enjoy seeing developed before the reboot, just with different looks and somewhat tweaked backgrounds. The times they do get focused on, though, much like the game characters, they still shine. Little interactions still go a long way, like Sally talking to Big about how he sees Nicole or Sonic cheering up Tails about losing to Honey. For my money, Rotor has actually improved. He was always the one character that I never cared too much about, but I like his new personality of being the pragmatic, “Big Picture” guy that he is now.

Would I like for the Archie characters get more attention and development? Absolutely. Bunnie’s always been a personal favorite of mine (and not just among Archie-exclusive characters either), so it’s been disappointing to see her get so little screen time that wasn’t shared with Antoine. Meanwhile, it’d be nice to see Amy in a team NOT with Sonic. So I’ll definitely echo the sentiment to mix up the character interactions (Big and Antoine was fun, for example).

The Shattered Worlds arc has been long, but I don’t mind, because it’s really more of a collection of smaller arcs that I still find entertaining on their own. That and I like exploring the world and seeing the new characters introduced. It’s a slow burn, but I read One Piece, which puts most other stories to shame when it comes to slow burns, so it doesn't really bother me here. I’m just enjoying the ride and I enjoy the mix of SEGA and Non-SEGA characters and elements. Ian has said that once Shattered Worlds is over, he plans on taking what he’s built and playing with it and exploring the characters more, and he’s earned enough goodwill from me by this point that I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and see how it all plays out.
croubo
BumbleNewbie

Postby Specs64z » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:21 pm

FancyFool wrote:
Specs64z wrote:Not gonna lie, It's largely because I'm biased against the wherehog rather than much to do with screen (page?) time or the meaning of Sonic. It's not because it's too slow, either. It's mainly because it's too boring. The levels were too long, too easy (or in rare cases way too hard cheap), and too abundant (wii version, haven't played HD). I dislike the wherehog as a result, and it's presence in the comic is just bleh for me.
So back to you, that's kind of what you were doing with that little comment. You have a personal dislike for the Werehog born from a bad experience (a bad experience that really shouldn't be used to judge the concept) and so you want it gone from the comics just because. If you wanted the Werehog to stop appearing because it, say, overwhelms all the page time in the comics, then I'd me more understanding of your desire but as it stands you simply want the Werehog gone because you personally don't care about it and that's not acceptable. [shortened for size]

I am well aware of the influence of bias on opinions. Not all opinions have to be rationalized or broken down into science. I don't like Wherehog. Therefore I don't like it in the comic. Yes, there's not a whole lot of justification, but that doesn't mean I can't disaprove or dislike said character. After all, this is just a fictional thing so a biased opinion is perfectly acceptable, imo.
Specs64z
BumbleFan

Postby ToaArcan » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:10 pm

To me, the comic offers a few things:

1) The Freedom Fighters. I was watching SatAM a long time before I got my first game, and I'm a lot more attached to the Freedom Fighters than I am most of the SEGA cast. Even if I don't particularly like some aspects of the comic, I'm interested in finding out what's happening with the FF. It's pretty telling that I stopped reading for a while after 235, when the whole comic became "The Sonic, Tails, and Amy show".

2) A story that's not entirely tethered to a game. I honestly find the game stories... awful, at least for the past six years. The characters are thin at best, caricatures of their former selves at worst, and the stakes are either so small that it doesn't seem to matter, so ill-defined that I'm not sure what they are, or not treated with any weight by the characters.

3) A regular Sonic fix while SEGA are producing...nothing of value.
ToaArcan
BumbleFan

Postby WiNTER BELLS » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:58 pm

MetalSkulkBane wrote:Let me say it differently: Sonic is not unbeatable, he can be punched in the face, shoot in the back. All you can't say it "aha, now there is no for Sonic to win".
..Then again that is only my own interpretation/fanon, I can't really prove it with any quote.

Ah, I get you. Though one could argue that such tropes are to be expected of any/most comic books, especially around Sonic's target audience. One reason why I loved the whole "Embodiment of Chaos" thing is that it give's a better reasoning than simply "because the hero got lucky". I mean, sure Sonic's Chaos factor can help him beat impossible odds, but how many of Sonic's troubles could have been avoided without his Chaos factor? We expect the hero to triumph in stories, but in this case Sonic may actually be doing more harm than good simply by existing.

Actually... was it ever confirmed that Sonic's Chaos factor is gone? It's the same Sonic, so logic would state "no" but...
WiNTER BELLS
BumbleFan

Postby DoNotDelete » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:10 am

FancyFool wrote:
DoNotDelete wrote:Nice passionate comment. But just a tad overblown and a little bit exaggerative/misrepresentative of an otherwise cool and calm discussion.

Responding politely: there is such a thing as over-representation. Why should the Werehog/Shattered World crisis be given so much pagetime when the Werehog is a feature unique to only one Sonic game? One I suspect a lot of Sonic fans who follow the comic have not even played (I haven't).

It's not ridiculous to question if a comic has taken something to the point of overrepresentation, or if a storyline has been too ambitious/extended beyond its entertainment value. You personally might have a vested interest in the Werehog (and that's cool, I'm not going to berate you for that), but I'm not getting that same vibe from everyone here and I've seen comments elsewhere expressing disinterest in the Werehog component.

You can present your interest in the current storyline without being inflammatory or berating people who don't share the same opinion. This is how discussions work.

So, speaking (semi)rationally in response to what you've said, I honestly fail to see how the Werehog is getting too much representation. Since "Shattered World Crisis" began, the Werehog didn't appear until the eight issue, which may not seem like much but, given the monthly release of comic books, that's a pretty long time for it to appear in the adaptation of its own video game. And then after four issues of prominence (which is full-on justified since it was the debut of the Werehog and one long overdue), the Werehog doesn't make nearly much of an appearance. It only appeared TWICE in the Champions arc (the second time after the arc pretty much ended), it appears halfway through StH 272, and then it doesn't appear AT ALL in SU 75 and the whole of "World's Unite," with its own video game adaptation being paused for an ultimately disappointing and unnecessary crossover. And then the Werehog made two more appearances after WU, appearing in StH 276 and 278 but notably not 277. So, overall, the Werehog makes pretty infrequent appearances, which I'd hardly call "over-representation."

Okay, you're right about the over-representation part - I'll concede that. I suppose really it's more of an illusion that the Werehog has been over-represented - or at least given 'too much page time' - because events like WU have interrupted the flow of the Shattered World Crisis and made it seem as though it has lasted longer than it really has.

FancyFool wrote:Once Shattered World Crisis is over, which is going to be soon given Ian's determination to finish it fast, then the Werehog will never appear again! As said, this "Shattered World Crisis" is essentially the Werehog's last ever appearance in any official Sonic media, and here you people are trying to deny him any more appearances before that could even happen! That's why I was so freaking upset when I made that post: I'm a big fan of the Werehog and want to enjoy his very last appearance in this franchise (in the very medium that I personally think is the best piece of Sonic media right now) and you and other people are essentially saying "the Werehog needs to be removed right now, it needs to stop making appearances" in the middle of the adaptation of its own game.

I can understand if you guys are annoyed with the Werehog taking away focus from Sonic's core element- his speed. But Sonic as his normal self has had plenty of page-time in SWC and will have plenty more after SWC is over and done with. The Werehog, however, has limited appearances and so it be best to give him as much page-time as possible before SWC ends and takes the Werehog with it. Same deal with Chip, a character exclusive to Unleashed and won't be making relevant appearances again afterwards. If you guys want SWC to end sooner so the Werehog will go away, fine. But DON"T ever say that the Werehog's appearances should end right now, before SWC is close to ending. Of course, I guess that is what you were insinuating to begin with and if that was the case then I extra deeply apologize for kinda blowing up at you.

I didn't mean to imply that I wanted to do away with the Werehog before Shattered World is over - I can understand you being upset by that. I'm guessing Sonic's 'release' from that condition is somehow linked to fixing the world anyway (not actually having any foreknowledge of the Werehog's game), so I wouldn't worry about him disappearing before then.

Also I didn't know that Ian had made any statement he wanted to finish the Shattered World Crisis soon. If that's already the case then I can put up with the Werehog component for as long as it lasts. No offence intended, but I'm just not really interested in the Werehog anymore.

Admittedly, the arc where Sonic got his Werehog rage under control (with Mighty and Sage's help) was good. I won't begrudge the comic for that story. Since then though, the importance of the Werehog component has been lost on me.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby FancyFool » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:23 am

DoNotDelete wrote:I didn't mean to imply that I wanted to do away with the Werehog before Shattered World is over - I can understand you being upset by that. I'm guessing Sonic's 'release' from that condition is somehow linked to fixing the world anyway (not actually having any foreknowledge of the Werehog's game), so I wouldn't worry about him disappearing before then.

Ah, OK then! And, once again, my most deepest apologies for assuming that was the case with you initially. Maybe if you had said "It would be better if Shattered World Crisis ends sooner so we can focus more on normal Sonic" instead of "Get rid of the Werehog sooner" then I wouldn't have made that assumption. (Also, just to fill you in, the Werehog is essentially a fragment of Dark Gaia that got unintentionally absorbed by Sonic. I don't think Sonic being "released" from the form would necessarily help fix the world (heck, I think it endangers the world even more since it empowers Dark Gaia) but the Werehog form will definitely be gone once everything is resolved either due to Dark Gaia taking back that fragment from Sonic or by being rendered dormant and his influence gone for at least a few eons).

DoNotDelete wrote:Also I didn't know that Ian had made any statement he wanted to finish the Shattered World Crisis soon, If that's already the case then I can put up with the Werehog component for as long as it lasts. No offence intended, but I'm just not really interested in the Werehog anymore.

Admittedly, the arc where Sonic got his Werehog rage under control (with Mighty and Sage's help) was good. I won't begrudge the comic for that story. Since then though, the importance of the Werehog component has been lost on me.

*Sigh* None taken. At this point, I've just come to accept that the majority of people either hate or are indifferent to the Werehog so getting offended by their negative thoughts on it just isn't worth it. That and I can hardly blame you and anyone else for becoming disinterested by the Werehog given the lack of importance it was actually given in the plot, both in the game and in this saga. Apparently writing Sonic as a werewolf is very hard to make interesting :roll:

Ironically, I mostly blame that arc as to why the Werehog has lost importance later on. Had Sonic instead slowly adapted to the Werehog form over the course of the arc, reigning in his increased temper and getting used to the feel of the form, then the Werehog could've potentially retained interest and importance all the way through Shattered World Crisis (without resorting to have Sonic become "feral" to maintain interest, which wouldn't be a good idea given Sonic's character). But what happened instead is that Sonic flips out the first time and then immediately gets training from a sloth, learning very shortly to control his temper and adapting to the Werehog form just like that. Like, it feels that whole "Control Arc" didn't work out for the long term and as a result the Werehog concept suffers once more I swear all my favorite things are cursed...
FancyFool
BumbleFan

Postby ToaArcan » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:07 am

I too wasn't particularly fond of the "Control" arc.

For me, the whole point of the Werehog was that Sonic got a big dose of Dark Gaia, and turned into a monster... but he was still Sonic. He was incorruptible, too strong and self-assured to let that change affect him. I've even toyed with this idea in an RP series I did with a friend- We had three other victims, and all of them needed Chip around to keep themselves tame, because they didn't have Sonic's all-consuming self-confidence, and they could be corrupted.

Instead, the comic turned him into a monster anyway, and then immediately resolved that, leaving the whole thing feeling rather... pointless.

I do, however, appreciate Sonic getting some character development. That's part of why I still prefer the FF to the SEGA crew- Some character development is better than none, and I was surprised to see Sonic get some, especially with SEGA's rules about that. I was also really pleased to see it stick. In the waning days of the Preboot timeline, Sonic was actually one of my least favourite characters. To me, it felt like Ian was putting a little more emphasis on the "Cocky jerk" part of his personality than was really needed- His comments after Geoffrey was found guilty, and, reaching back a bit further, the whole situation with Tails and Fiona, not to mention his continuous "Shoot the breeze with Tails and Amy, ignore Mecha Sally". Now, though, he's one of my favourites.

Speaking of the above, I couldn't help but notice that, in the preboot, Sonic's jerk moments always happened when he was single or "playing the field", and his more heartwarming ones always happened when he was either dating Sally or pretty much with her but not officially confirmed. As if she made him happier, soothed him, or something. Always wondered whether that was intentional of accidental.

On the topic of the Constant Chaos thing, and how it was supposed to make Sonic always come through, I wonder how that gets tied in with his complete failure to catch Mecha Sally?
ToaArcan
BumbleFan

Postby Mobotropolis » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:09 am

Sonic was going to save everyone eventually, I guess.

Except Antoine if he had died. And Tommy. And Eddie. And all of those other people he failed to save.
Sonic being "embodiment of chaos" doesn't mean he immortal (well, in theory), but more that impossible becomes possible around him.

So ... was Larry an embodiment of Chaos because he had the exact same power?

I actually thought that Larry's power was Chaos-based.
In issue 210, Eggman stated that through the massive amounts of Chaos energy he's been exposed to

No. No. I get that.

It's that this even had to be a thing at all that rubbed me the wrong way. Instead of The Freedom Fighter's victories being attributed to their incredible talent, skill, teamwork, or planning it is being attributed to what is essentially magic. It was my hope that the Chaos Factor actually was the ramblings of an insane Eggman and/or that he was proven wrong about his assessment and came to value Sonic's friends as a threat in their own right. The story seemed to run with the Chaos Factor actually being a thing, though, and that just makes me wonder why he bothers.

Except, you know, out of spite.

It also makes me wonder why none of the other characters who have been exposed to high levels of Chaos Energy like Knuckles who was bathed in it as a baby, Shadow who has so much it needs to be constantly surpressed, or Mammoth Mongul who had a freaken Chaos Emerald in his chest did not seem to be as blessed as Sonic when it came to Chaos Energy.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby lalalei2001 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:44 am

Mobotropolis wrote:It also makes me wonder why none of the other characters who have been exposed to high levels of Chaos Energy like Knuckles who was bathed in it as a baby, Shadow who has so much it needs to be constantly surpressed, or Mammoth Mongul who had a freaken Chaos Emerald in his chest did not seem to be as blessed as Sonic when it came to Chaos Energy.

Well, there was his One Billionth Power Ring. I think the Chaos Energy PLUS Ring Energy had something to do with it.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby ToaArcan » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:50 am

It struck me as a half-formed attempt to give him something equal to Chaos Knuckles and Titan Tails that SEGA would still permit.

Previous writers had established that Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles were meant to be a sort of trio, the most powerful beings with Chaos-derived powers in the Primeverse. However, while Tails and Knuckles got their own horrible resolutions to those plot points, Sonic didn't. Whatever awful Super form Penders had lined up for him thankfully never saw the light of day.

However, it meant that he was left out of the supposed trio, and Tails and Knuckles were enormously powerful next to him. Enter the "Constant Chaos" thing as Sonic's own god-mode, and he even gets to one-up his friends by having said power without a terrible new form to go along with it.

Honestly, the only good thing to come out of that whole mess is the ability to laugh at the idea that a dignified, collected, arrogant guy like Miles was stuck being part of Titan Tails.

I mean seriously, who thought Titan Tails was a good idea?
ToaArcan
BumbleFan

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius