Peel Out and Insta Shield: Bring Back or Throw to Trash?

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Peel Out and Insta Shield: Bring Back or Throw to Trash?

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:18 am

Have you seen Egoraptor's video about Castlevania 4? (warning, a lot of swearing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww_PjqYQi5E
To sum it up it says that Castlevania 1 was really hard, but well planned and power ups were carefully design to help you.
Castlevania 4 might be a better game but it screwed this aspect, because whip is so Over Powered that items are completely useless. They is not point for them being in the game other then "because first one did it".

And that makes me think about Sonic's forgotten moves. Usually when I design perfect 2D Sonic game (only in my head obviously) I add him Insta Shield from Sonic 3 and Super Peel Out from Sonic CD. But would they really be worth anything, or would they be unnecessary addition? Is it even a bad thing to have a pointless move, but not being force to use it?
I mean 3D Sonic game often had pointless moves: Shadow's karate in his own game, Spin Dash how it worked in 06, Espio's shuriken in Heroes etc.

So what you guys think? Don't limit yourself just to Sonic. You can talk about Slide and Charge Shot removed from later Megaman's games, Castlevania example or any other game franchise.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Re: Peel Out and Insta Shield: Bring Back or Throw to Trash?

Postby Tonberry2k » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:42 am

Insta-shield was great and useful. Peel out always just seemed like a less useful spin dash.
Tonberry2k
BumbleNoble

Postby Astrobot7000 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:07 am

I liked the peel out. It was basically an instant speed hike, where with the spin dash you had to charge it up. It did leave you more vulnerable to attack though, so I always thought it was a good trade off. Instant max speed but leaves you vulnerable, or nigh invulernability at the cost of having to charge it up for a few seconds? I mean, ultimately it wasn't that big of a deal, but sometimes you just gotta go for style points.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:49 am

Personally I never got why those moves weren't in Generations. Peel Out would be pretty useful in time trials, especially for people who like to perfect their scores.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:00 pm

I think the boost made the Peel Out largely redundant to bring back, if not obsolete.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:21 pm

regardless of how useful it was, the peel out looked cooler. I think Lost World had a similar animation to it for that reason
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby lalalei2001 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:32 pm

I think I only used the Peel-Out once and got hit by an enemy in the middle of dashing XD; I never got how to use the Insta-Shield either.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Xabin » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:34 pm

Peel-Out and Insta-Shield have gone the way of the dodo now with the boost and homing attack, respectively. I don't see any reason to bring them back, even with a rebooted series.
Xabin
BumbleCitizen

Postby The Shadow Imperator » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:42 pm

lalalei2001 wrote:I think I only used the Peel-Out once and got hit by an enemy in the middle of dashing XD; I never got how to use the Insta-Shield either.

Heh, I played through the entirety of CD and never used it once. I didn't even know it existed tbh.
The Shadow Imperator
BumbleFan

Postby Azul » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:34 pm

Xabin wrote:Peel-Out and Insta-Shield have gone the way of the dodo now with the boost and homing attack, respectively. I don't see any reason to bring them back, even with a rebooted series.

Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby Specs64z » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:37 pm

Unless they take away both the homing attack and the boost, no. They would be redundant and/or useless. Imagine 3-D Sonic w/o homing attack... *shudder*. Boost I could actually do w/o. I prefer the Dreamcast era (Adventure 1-Shadow) gameplay to Modern (or even Classic, but it's still a close second) eras.
If they made another fully 2-D Sonic w/o homing attack and boost, these would be good and gameplay expanding things to add assuming they gave me any real reason to use Super Peel over Spin Dash (even if it's just for level gimmicks).
Specs64z
BumbleFan

Postby The Jazzyman » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:56 pm

I loved the peel out in Sonic CD, but still don't even understand the Insta Shield. What does it even do?
The Jazzyman
BumbleFan

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:45 am

The Jazzyman wrote:I loved the peel out in Sonic CD, but still don't even understand the Insta Shield. What does it even do?

Gives Sonic a slightly bigger range of his spin attack. I heard it's really important while fighting Big Arm.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Daisetsu » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:17 am

The insta-shield also gives temporary invincibility to certain things (like projectiles).
Daisetsu
BumbleNoble

Postby The Swordsman » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:05 pm

I liked both and it gave Sonic unique abilities that neither Knuckles or Tails had.
The Swordsman
BumbleCitizen

Location: Somewhere fighting the Eggman Empire for the United Federation.

Return to This Side of Mobius