Locke the Abusive Father

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Locke the Abusive Father

Postby Spin » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:28 pm

The Brotherhood was always about the special interest of the Floating Island. Anyone else is unimportant or second if the situation calls for it. The Brotherhood outright refused to help the Kingdom of Acorn unless they were willing to go to total war with Robotnik.

The fact they talked about using fire arms against Robotnik could suggest that the Brotherhood was only going to supply Knothole with weapons. Not fight their battles for them.

Penders himself admitted to having the Brotherhood think that Robotnik was small time. Even with the whole ruling Mobius. So in their heads, they could step in at any time and dispose of him, but doing so could compromise their existence and put the Floating Island at risk in the future. Even if the risk was a tiny fraction of a percent, any negative repercussion on the Floating Island would be considered unacceptable. The echidna few outweigh the needs of many.

Even when Robotnik finally does attack the Floating Island, the Brotherhood ignores it because they were busy with the Dark Legion who they considered the bigger threat. And we all know how that ends. It's this kind of arrogance that could have made the Guardians great characters because they are not heroes in the sense of the Freedom Fighters. They are a group of geezers who only care about their city and their own kind. But they got whitewashed to be morally correct at all times even if it makes no sense. Which just made them cringeworthy.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby jazzflower92 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:50 pm

What do you expect they are Pender's creator pets, and he tended to shelter his creation from criticism. No wonder a lot of people were happy that Flynn sent these guys to the Twlight Cage, because these so called wise men had the tendency to sit on their hands and ignore the danger until it came knocking at their door.
jazzflower92
BumbleFan

Postby akessel92 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:59 pm

Spin wrote:The Brotherhood was always about the special interest of the Floating Island. Anyone else is unimportant or second if the situation calls for it. The Brotherhood outright refused to help the Kingdom of Acorn unless they were willing to go to total war with Robotnik.

The fact they talked about using fire arms against Robotnik could suggest that the Brotherhood was only going to supply Knothole with weapons. Not fight their battles for them.

Penders himself admitted to having the Brotherhood think that Robotnik was small time. Even with the whole ruling Mobius. So in their heads, they could step in at any time and dispose of him, but doing so could compromise their existence and put the Floating Island at risk in the future. Even if the risk was a tiny fraction of a percent, any negative repercussion on the Floating Island would be considered unacceptable. The echidna few outweigh the needs of many.

Even when Robotnik finally does attack the Floating Island, the Brotherhood ignores it because they were busy with the Dark Legion who they considered the bigger threat. And we all know how that ends. It's this kind of arrogance that could have made the Guardians great characters because they are not heroes in the sense of the Freedom Fighters. They are a group of geezers who only care about their city and their own kind. But they got whitewashed to be morally correct at all times even if it makes no sense. Which just made them cringeworthy.

Brotherhood to the freedom fighters: here's some chao cola and a grenade go nuts!
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby jazzflower92 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:49 pm

Yeah, the Brotherhood thought that Sonic and his companions who keep saving the world are the real nuisances to worry about, yeah great sense of priorities.
jazzflower92
BumbleFan

Postby WiNTER BELLS » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:34 am

therealfalconpawnch7 wrote:This is not an excuse. In a society that the writer compared to America no matter what Monk did it is not justifiable to bound and gag him, then toss him over the edge of a floating land mass.

Is it? Echidnaopolis striving so hard to regress in it's technology seemed a bit far from our society. Then again, inconsistencies weren't exactly a rarity back then... Still could you give me a source that says that the writer tried to base/mirror Echidnaopolis after America?
Penguin God wrote:At some point that argument has to look a bit strange. Trying to kill a kid for being a bully isn't the sort of thing you can just gloss over even if they do come from another world.

Not really, some cultures in our world used to kill children for plenty of odd reasons, or worse. Some places still do to this day. That being said, I won't disagree with you that in our society it seems a tad askew to put that in a comic aimed at children.
jazzflower92 wrote:Yeah, the Brotherhood thought that Sonic and his companions who keep saving the world are the real nuisances to worry about, yeah great sense of priorities.

To be fair, Sonic is kind of a bomb you can just throw into a crowd and he'll make a mess of things in no time.
WiNTER BELLS
BumbleFan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:37 am

You know, it seems unlikely that Monk was the sole gorilla of his kind on the Floating Island. I wonder what his parents might have thought of their son being abducted in the night, never to return.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby jazzflower92 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:21 am

WiNTER BELLS wrote:
therealfalconpawnch7 wrote:This is not an excuse. In a society that the writer compared to America no matter what Monk did it is not justifiable to bound and gag him, then toss him over the edge of a floating land mass.

Is it? Echidnaopolis striving so hard to regress in it's technology seemed a bit far from our society. Then again, inconsistencies weren't exactly a rarity back then... Still could you give me a source that says that the writer tried to base/mirror Echidnaopolis after America?
Penguin God wrote:At some point that argument has to look a bit strange. Trying to kill a kid for being a bully isn't the sort of thing you can just gloss over even if they do come from another world.

Not really, some cultures in our world used to kill children for plenty of odd reasons, or worse. Some places still do to this day. That being said, I won't disagree with you that in our society it seems a tad askew to put that in a comic aimed at children.
jazzflower92 wrote:Yeah, the Brotherhood thought that Sonic and his companions who keep saving the world are the real nuisances to worry about, yeah great sense of priorities.

To be fair, Sonic is kind of a bomb you can just throw into a crowd and he'll make a mess of things in no time.

At least Sonic is trying to save a world from an evil tyrant that has caused untold misery on the planet, also saying that Robotnik caused stability shows how out of touch these guys are and it shows once again they only care about their own civilization over the well-being of other Mobians.
jazzflower92
BumbleFan

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:29 am

WiNTER BELLS wrote:

Winter, what are you even trying to state here? That we should just accept Brotherhood as normal dudes, who just happen to murder kids, cause they are from different culture? NO, that not something we can tolerate. It's like tolerating Nazis
More then that, I don't believe that killing kids is part of echidnas culture. We saw their cities and those are mostly normal societies. Do you think that if Lara-Su came crying to Knuckles how kids were teasing her in school, would he call Chaotix for little slaughtering at school?
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Astrobot7000 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:04 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:You know, it seems unlikely that Monk was the sole gorilla of his kind on the Floating Island. I wonder what his parents might have thought of their son being abducted in the night, never to return.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

I had honestly never even considered that. Yeah, that's pretty rough. So not only do they try to murder a child they most likely left his family broken emotionally. That's awful.

I still say there were any number is things they could have done. They could have scared the heck out of him and filled him with fear to leave Knuckles alone. They could have. If they just wanted him gone that could have knocked him out and transported him to the surface of Möbius. That would have accomplished the same thing without straight up murdering a child. And sheesh, if they were going to kill him there's no reason to do it the way they did. That's just cruel.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby jazzflower92 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:24 pm

Astrobot7000 wrote:
LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:You know, it seems unlikely that Monk was the sole gorilla of his kind on the Floating Island. I wonder what his parents might have thought of their son being abducted in the night, never to return.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

I had honestly never even considered that. Yeah, that's pretty rough. So not only do they try to murder a child they most likely left his family broken emotionally. That's awful.

I still say there were any number is things they could have done. They could have scared the heck out of him and filled him with fear to leave Knuckles alone. They could have. If they just wanted him gone that could have knocked him out and transported him to the surface of Möbius. That would have accomplished the same thing without straight up murdering a child. And sheesh, if they were going to kill him there's no reason to do it the way they did. That's just cruel.

Did anyone find it odd that as a child that Monk looked the same as his adult self? I wonder if Pender did that on purpose so that readers would not be as turned off when the Brotherhood threw him off the island. I mean if he was drawn as an actual child it would have turned even more people against the Brotherhood.
jazzflower92
BumbleFan

Postby WiNTER BELLS » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:04 pm

jazzflower92 wrote:At least Sonic is trying to save a world from an evil tyrant that has caused untold misery on the planet, also saying that Robotnik caused stability shows how out of touch these guys are and it shows once again they only care about their own civilization over the well-being of other Mobians.
You're certainly not wrong... There was a lot of "Why would you do that?" in the Brotherhood's decision making process... they should hire a better adviser. Though Sonic is a very scary force to be reckoned with, they should probably have dealt with the thing that already wants to kill/enslave them rather than ticking off another major power.
MetalSkulkBane wrote:Winter, what are you even trying to state here? That we should just accept Brotherhood as normal dudes, who just happen to murder kids, cause they are from different culture? NO, that not something we can tolerate. It's like tolerating Nazis
More then that, I don't believe that killing kids is part of echidnas culture. We saw their cities and those are mostly normal societies. Do you think that if Lara-Su came crying to Knuckles how kids were teasing her in school, would he call Chaotix for little slaughtering at school?

Gracious, no. You're completely missing what I'm trying to get across.
What I'm saying is that the act of killing children, while horrible in the eyes of you and me, may not be so much of a social taboo for Echidnas. Furthermore, it might not be something that Echidna's readily do to their own offspring so much as those of a different species. It certainly wouldn't be the first time they took an aggressive stance against a species separate from their own.
WiNTER BELLS
BumbleFan

Postby Spin » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:45 pm

Always imagined Monk was a teenager when bullying kid Knuckles. And was either abandoned or his parents died prior putting Monk in the exact same situation as Knuckles making him the last Purple Sumo Gorilla of the Floating Island. Except without the whole secretly alive parents. So he takes his frustration on an outside source, a young Knuckles. For all we know, Monk's dad died in an actual wall of fire in the rainforest section of the Floating Island.

You know what, no. No sad backstory for Monk. He was probably born on Mobius near a very high mountain top, being a big jerk who annoyed everybody until they ganged up on him and catapulted him towards the bypassing floating island as it was slowly moving in their vicinity in an effort to get rid of him.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby jazzflower92 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:07 pm

Spin wrote:Always imagined Monk was a teenager when bullying kid Knuckles. And was either abandoned or his parents died prior putting Monk in the exact same situation as Knuckles making him the last Purple Sumo Gorilla of the Floating Island. Except without the whole secretly alive parents. So he takes his frustration on an outside source, a young Knuckles. For all we know, Monk's dad died in an actual wall of fire in the rainforest section of the Floating Island.

You know what, no. No sad backstory for Monk. He was probably born on Mobius near a very high mountain top, being a big jerk who annoyed everybody until they ganged up on him and catapulted him towards the bypassing floating island as it was slowly moving in their vicinity in an effort to get rid of him.

Monk in the end was just another bit Pender character who was wasted.
jazzflower92
BumbleFan

Postby Ryu The Weredragon » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:41 am

Yeah, combining all this up, it's pretty easy to see that Locke was abusive. Going by what we've seen of some prior guardian parents, Locke was pretty extreme even for them and I bet they wouldn't have been happy finding out he basically microwaved the next Guardian because of a nightmare (which turned out to be simply that because of author departure).
Ryu The Weredragon
BumbleKnight

Postby 009* » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:05 am

Ryu The Weredragon wrote:Yeah, combining all this up, it's pretty easy to see that Locke was abusive. Going by what we've seen of some prior guardian parents, Locke was pretty extreme even for them and I bet they wouldn't have been happy finding out he basically microwaved the next Guardian because of a nightmare (which turned out to be simply that because of author departure).

I remember Spectre complaining about Locke's gene experiments being too extreme. To his credit, Locke was never physically abusive, although it was implied in that flashback with Knuckles' grandma that his dad Sabre was.
009*
BumbleKnight

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius