Locke the Abusive Father

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Locke the Abusive Father

Postby Toby » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:22 pm

Violence is the only way to take care of purple bullies.
Toby
BumbleNoble

Postby Astrobot7000 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:20 pm

Not only did they toss him off the island, they did so while he was bound and gagged. They attempted to kill him in cold blood. Monk was a bully, but he was just a kid. Kids do stupid things. They could have handled that any number of ways. There is no excuse whatsoever for what they did to him. Heck, they could have knocked him out, transported him to the surface of Mobius, and left him in a safe spot. Instead they tried to straight up kill the kid.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby 009* » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:44 pm

Not to mention Monk probably wasn't the only bully the Brotherhood had to deal with.
009*
BumbleKnight

Postby Scruffy » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:07 am

I'm with the majority on this one. Even when I was a kid and still thought the Knuckles comics were brilliant, I found that attempted-Monk-murder plot point really disturbing.
Scruffy
BumbleClan

Postby WiNTER BELLS » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:53 am

Astrobot7000 wrote:Not only did they toss him off the island, they did so while he was bound and gagged. They attempted to kill him in cold blood. Monk was a bully, but he was just a kid. Kids do stupid things. They could have handled that any number of ways. There is no excuse whatsoever for what they did to him. Heck, they could have knocked him out, transported him to the surface of Mobius, and left him in a safe spot. Instead they tried to straight up kill the kid.

Different cultures handle things differently than we do. Killing children seems grisly to us, but to others it's not really a big deal. How advanced they are is irrelevant.
WiNTER BELLS
BumbleFan

Postby therealfalconpawnch7 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:05 am

WiNTER BELLS wrote:
Astrobot7000 wrote:Not only did they toss him off the island, they did so while he was bound and gagged. They attempted to kill him in cold blood. Monk was a bully, but he was just a kid. Kids do stupid things. They could have handled that any number of ways. There is no excuse whatsoever for what they did to him. Heck, they could have knocked him out, transported him to the surface of Mobius, and left him in a safe spot. Instead they tried to straight up kill the kid.

Different cultures handle things differently than we do. Killing children seems grisly to us, but to others it's not really a big deal. How advanced they are is irrelevant.

This is not an excuse. In a society that the writer compared to America no matter what Monk did it is not justifiable to bound and gag him, then toss him over the edge of a floating land mass. On the original subject, I'd be OK with what Locke did, if more people in the comic had called him out on it. As it stands in the time before Ian it was only Lara-Le and RtAI Knuckles that called him out on things, and in Lara's case it was only ever to his face once, and the rest in exposition (unless I'm forgetting something). It's another reason I like how Ian continued the story, Locke is pushed to the limit when everything disappears on him, his son won't come back because he's doing what he knows is right, and he'll resort to anything, even trusting a creepy man with a bubble head sidekick to watching the emerald so he can get things back. It's a good evolution of the character, and his repentance at the end showed how far he came.
therealfalconpawnch7
BumbleKnight

Postby Penguin God » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:24 pm

WiNTER BELLS wrote:Different cultures handle things differently than we do. Killing children seems grisly to us, but to others it's not really a big deal. How advanced they are is irrelevant.

At some point that argument has to look a bit strange. Trying to kill a kid for being a bully isn't the sort of thing you can just gloss over even if they do come from another world.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Vampfox » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:43 pm

Vampfox
BumbleCult

Postby jazzflower92 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:31 pm

Not to mention a lot of people take note of the fact these were the same guys who decided interfering with Eggman was too much trouble, but when Knuckles had his yo yo stolen they showed no mercy. This event also highlights to some how hypocritical and skewed the priorities of the Brotherhood were.
jazzflower92
BumbleFan

Postby Penguin God » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:35 pm

I seem to remember the issue being less that the Brotherhood ignored Eggman (fitting entirely with their isolationist/holier-than-thou policies), and more that the entire reason Knuckles was alone was to teach him self-reliance. This too honestly fits with the Brotherhood's overall policies though, as they constantly wanted Knuckles to learn independence and self-reliance but solved all his problems anyway, just without telling him.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby 009* » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:06 pm

Penguin God wrote:I seem to remember the issue being less that the Brotherhood ignored Eggman (fitting entirely with their isolationist/holier-than-thou policies), and more that the entire reason Knuckles was alone was to teach him self-reliance. This too honestly fits with the Brotherhood's overall policies though, as they constantly wanted Knuckles to learn independence and self-reliance but solved all his problems anyway, just without telling him.

I think it was more dealing with what was beyond Knuckles' abilities, but leaving him on his own otherwise. Again, I can see the Brotherhood stepping in because Knuckles was too little to handle Monk himself, and that Monk was kinda jeopardizing the future of the echidnas by bullying Knuckles. The problem is the how the Brotherhood responded since:
1. They had to have simpler, more humane, ways to kill him if that really was their A-plan.
2. Monk had no idea what he stepping into by screwing with Knuckles.
009*
BumbleKnight

Postby Vampfox » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:43 pm

Penguin God wrote:I seem to remember the issue being less that the Brotherhood ignored Eggman (fitting entirely with their isolationist/holier-than-thou policies), and more that the entire reason Knuckles was alone was to teach him self-reliance.

The Brotherhood seemed to like having Robotnik and his sub bosses in charge of things. They were pretty annoyed at Sonic for defeating his sub bosses after End Game.
Vampfox
BumbleCult

Postby Mobotropolis » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:00 pm

I think it's less that and more " don't go in liberating people if you're not going to stick around and help them ".

Suddenly removing the seat of power from a country is going to cause instability, and someone has to deal with that.

The world was already pretty unstable with the loss of Robotnik. Shoot, it was unstable when Robotnik was even around. Now some upstart was going around toppling one government after another in rapid succession and leaving the people to fend for themselves.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby jazzflower92 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:58 pm

Mobotropolis wrote:I think it's less that and more " don't go in liberating people if you're not going to stick around and help them ".

Suddenly removing the seat of power from a country is going to cause instability, and someone has to deal with that.

The world was already pretty unstable with the loss of Robotnik. Shoot, it was unstable when Robotnik was even around. Now some upstart was going around toppling one government after another in rapid succession and leaving the people to fend for themselves.

Robotonik was a tyrant who drove many Mobian species to near extinction and wrecked havoc on the planet's ecosystem. So, saying Robotonik being dethroned would cause instability doesn't outweigh all the damage he has done to the planet under his rule. Not to mention their lack of action is what caused the brotherhood to eventually be targeted by Robotnik himself.
jazzflower92
BumbleFan

Postby Penguin God » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:58 pm

Also the population of the books was like 90% good people, 5% Eggman goons, 5% Sand Blasters. There was nothing to clean up, and as far as we saw they did nothing to help the population at all.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius