STH#278 Spoilers & Discussion

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: STH#278 Spoilers & Discussion

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:17 am

Duck Army wrote:Personally, the reason why i'm disappointed with the pointlessness of the Were-hog is that it had so much potential. It would be really interesting if this whole arc featured a subplot of Sonic trying to control his new form. It would make it a lot more interesting than how it was in Unleashed. Instead, controlling takes only 2-3 issues, and after that, he's just the same old Sonic. Just because he behaved the same in Unleashed, doesn't mean it has to be the same here! Maybe we can have him lose control again.

To be fair that could get old too. Remember how he kept almost hanging into Werehog all the time? Imagine now that every second issue had Sonic stopping in middle of a fight to do "Ught, gotta control, gotta control" to the ground.

And you can't say that issues about Moss' teachings were bad. A bit rushed (I would prefer more training, less beating Thunderbolt's robot), but still one of the best Post-reboot issues.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Mobotropolis » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:32 am

One thing that could happen -
Spoiler: show
Is Dark Gaia taking control of Sonic instead of draining his energy immediately heading into the Final Battle. Sonic could fight it so long because Dark Gaia was spreading itself so thin, but it's hard to do that when it's staring you in the face.

Only problem with that is that vanilla Sonic is already too strong for 95% of the post-reboot cast so who's going to stop that?

Then again, I could totally see another needless filler fight that will end unresolved happening.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby Duck Army » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:50 am

MetalSkulkBane wrote:
Duck Army wrote:Personally, the reason why i'm disappointed with the pointlessness of the Were-hog is that it had so much potential. It would be really interesting if this whole arc featured a subplot of Sonic trying to control his new form. It would make it a lot more interesting than how it was in Unleashed. Instead, controlling takes only 2-3 issues, and after that, he's just the same old Sonic. Just because he behaved the same in Unleashed, doesn't mean it has to be the same here! Maybe we can have him lose control again.

To be fair that could get old too. Remember how he kept almost hanging into Werehog all the time? Imagine now that every second issue had Sonic stopping in middle of a fight to do "Ught, gotta control, gotta control" to the ground.

And you can't say that issues about Moss' teachings were bad. A bit rushed (I would prefer more training, less beating Thunderbolt's robot), but still one of the best Post-reboot issues.

Not saying they're bad.
I would like it if it worked like this.
He wouldn't take control of it. Moss would instead teach how to not transform into it. Numerous times, he would almost crack, and in a few occasions, he would. Struggling to control with inner self is a lot more interesting than it being the same as you, except with a different appearance and abilities.
Duck Army
BumbleFan

Postby Sparky » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:04 am

Sonic himself isn't about control. He's an impulsive free spirited who just does whatever he wants. Struggling with an inner self doesn't fit him, in my opinion.
Sparky
BumbleNoble

Postby Astrobot7000 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:27 am

So, is Cassia roboticised, or highly cyborgized? Her dialogue about having to take special medicines even in her current state seems to suggest the latter. Which makes me think the need for such things was purposefully engineered by Eggman as a means of control.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby FancyFool » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:42 am

Sparky wrote:Sonic himself isn't about control. He's an impulsive free spirited who just does whatever he wants. Struggling with an inner self doesn't fit him, in my opinion.

Precisely! Sonic is essentially the definition of "Chaotic Good"; a fundamentally good person who values freedom and doesn't always follow the rules. Control, especially self-control, isn't Sonic's thing and it should never become a thing for him because "control" isn't in his dictionary. Sonic doesn't restrict himself in his actions and decisions nor does he feel the need to. And just as Sonic doesn't control himself, no one can try to control him. That's WHY Sonic didn't lose his mind as the Werehog in Sonic Unleashed: Sonic is THAT free-spirited and nothing, not even Dark Gaia, can control or influence him into anything else. This is also evident in the Darkspine Form in SatSR: despite being consumed by rage, hatred, and sadness, Sonic remained as himself in that form. He didn't become a raging, mindless entity, like (say) the Hulk, as Darkspine Sonic: Sonic was still himself, just empowered by rage, hatred, and sadness.
FancyFool
BumbleFan

Postby ChaosJam » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:10 pm

Astrobot7000 wrote:So, is Cassia roboticised, or highly cyborgized? Her dialogue about having to take special medicines even in her current state seems to suggest the latter. Which makes me think the need for such things was purposefully engineered by Eggman as a means of control.

Highly cyborgized is what I would guess. Before Eggman, it seems that Cassia was always sick to the point where she lost her sight and hearing which lead to Clove throwing in with the doc to save her sister's life. I don't think it's robotization since it's only been rumored that Eggman has possibly gotten that process to work again recently (#252). Since we can assume Cassia and Clove have been around before the Super Genesis Wave, I would guess a majority of her upper half is just cybernetics. Her hurting her leg in this issue seems to suggest she still has a bottom organic half (though she did pull a troll on Bunnie so who really knows exactly).

Also I believe you are right, her dialogue about needing special treatment could very well just be one of Eggman's head games he likes to play.
ChaosJam
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicSoul » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:22 pm

FancyFool wrote:
Sparky wrote:Sonic himself isn't about control. He's an impulsive free spirited who just does whatever he wants. Struggling with an inner self doesn't fit him, in my opinion.

Precisely! Sonic is essentially the definition of "Chaotic Good"; a fundamentally good person who values freedom and doesn't always follow the rules. Control, especially self-control, isn't Sonic's thing and it should never become a thing for him because "control" isn't in his dictionary. Sonic doesn't restrict himself in his actions and decisions nor does he feel the need to. And just as Sonic doesn't control himself, no one can try to control him. That's WHY Sonic didn't lose his mind as the Werehog in Sonic Unleashed: Sonic is THAT free-spirited and nothing, not even Dark Gaia, can control or influence him into anything else. This is also evident in the Darkspine Form in SatSR: despite being consumed by rage, hatred, and sadness, Sonic remained as himself in that form. He didn't become a raging, mindless entity, like (say) the Hulk, as Darkspine Sonic: Sonic was still himself, just empowered by rage, hatred, and sadness.

This. I think people are too quick to dismiss this sort of thing as him being "too pure" when it's really more of staying steadfast and confident in who he is. Personally that's a lot more in-character and charming than a "struggle to control the darkness inside" that gets overdone with a lot of main or minor characters.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby Axel T Rat » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:38 pm

+Okay, I'm liking the Shamer Freedom Fighters. They're kinda if the Sandblasters (former Sonic fanatics themselves) didn't turn into a-holes. Also they're a counter to the main Sonic trio mixed with the Dai-Gurren Brigade. How can I not like that?
+Big and Antoine's general interactions
+The Tusken Raider like look for the Shamar Egg Army
+Nephethys looks cool so far too
+Getting to know more of Cassia and Clove
+Some cool fan art

=That fish girl who may not be the Meropis princess yet again. Is she just gonna be a regular background gag?
=Did Bunnie's figure gain a little weight? o.o

-So~ Why was the cover changed to not include the SFF?

=Oh never mind, that's next issue's similar cover. Scratch that part.
=Hey I just had this thought, which may be nothing but.... Next issue is called "Face of the Enemy" and the cover displays Eggman with the SFF w/ the Werehog looking PO'ed. They're not gonna turn out to be villains are they? O.O

-Not for this issue in particular but more for the publishers. I should mention that Archie's new delayed delivery service made me miss a few issues. o\ _ /o
Axel T Rat
BumbleKnight

Postby Xabin » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:50 pm

At least we're getting people reacting appropriately to Sonic's werehog form. In the game, no one really cared about that, but the comics emphasized just how jarring it is, even when Sonic's still acting like his cool blue self. Puts more logic in his statement in the game that he should be careful who sees him like that...
Xabin
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mobotropolis » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:58 pm

So, is Cassia roboticised, or highly cyborgized?

Both sisters are cyborgs.

Spoiler: show
It hasn't been outright confirmed, but it seems implied that Cassia was born with an illness that made her generally incompatible with life/allergic to everything so her choices were either getting legionized, living in a bubble with no contact with others, or inevitably dying from exposure.

The cybernetics can't cure her (hence the medicine/treatment), but they can drastically improve her quality of life.

Speaking of which -
Her hurting her leg in this issue seems to suggest she still has a bottom organic half (though she did pull a troll on Bunnie so who really knows exactly).

I think it kind of works similar to Automail in FMA. Eggman seems like the type of guy who would put in just enough sensors in the cybernetics so his soldiers would still feel pain.

Of course he wants them to feel it when they go kaboom.

Personally that's a lot more in-character and charming than a "struggle to control the darkness inside" that gets overdone with a lot of main or minor characters.

Ah. So that's why I hate Sonic so much as a character. :P
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby Tylinos » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:03 pm

Axel T Rat wrote:I should mention that Archie's new delayed delivery service made me miss a few issues. o\ _ /o

If you still don't have them in, email them about it. Unless it's changed, I think the email should be orderhelp@archiecomics.com
Tylinos
BumbleKnight

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:26 pm

Axel T Rat wrote:+Okay, I'm liking the Shamer Freedom Fighters.

?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Xabin » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:12 pm

So, that pufferfish character... people are suspecting it's one of the Meropis royal family, correct? I don't want to beat a dead horse over this, but if that's the case, maybe this will bring back Razor into the plot? I mean, it would make sense for him to be sent out to retrieve her, after all...
Xabin
BumbleCitizen

Postby Axel T Rat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:58 pm

Tylinos wrote:
Axel T Rat wrote:I should mention that Archie's new delayed delivery service made me miss a few issues. o\ _ /o

If you still don't have them in, email them about it. Unless it's changed, I think the email should be orderhelp@archiecomics.com

Did. They told me there would be a month or so delayed after my subscription was accounted for way back on Sep. 30. Usually got whatever was recent right away before then and I didn't get anything till this recent issue. Not to mention I usually got warned in advance whenever my sub was about to run out.

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:
Axel T Rat wrote:+Okay, I'm liking the Shamer Freedom Fighters.

?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Huh? o.o
Axel T Rat
BumbleKnight

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius