STH#278 Spoilers & Discussion

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: STH#278 Spoilers & Discussion

Postby Ian Flynn » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:51 pm

diamonddeath wrote:
Ian Flynn wrote:Specifically, Nephthys is an Egyptian Vulture.

Would that make the name Nephthys the Egyptian Vulture or just Nephthys the Vulture the right one?

Since there's no "Egypt" on Mobius, it doesn't make sense to call her an "Egyptian Vulture" in-book, now does it? Likewise, Trevor's specifically a golden mole, but calling him such when he's purple in color just makes for confusion.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Auklin » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:57 pm

Hmm, I read somewhere that Tails was based on a fennec fox, so I always assumed Tails was a fennec fox, but he is referred to as "Tails the Fox" (would be like calling him "Tails the Red Fox", or "Sonic the Daurian Hedgehog"), whereas Sonar is specifically referred to as "Sonar the Fennec".

Does this mean that tails is not a fennec fox? Mind=blown.
Auklin
BumbleFan

Postby Meliden » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:13 pm

Tails is a fox. Not based on any particular species of fox, just the generic idea of a fox. People have used his traits to try and put a specific species on him and others specifically (and that where they got Fennec from), but it's not at all considered actual canonical fact. Any other guesses for game characters are just as speculative* (although some are broader than others...there's only two species of Echidna to begin with), and can just as easily be argued against. I mean, the argument for Espio being a Jackson's Chameleon was that they were the only ones with a horn, and not only do they have three horns instead of one (in males), the insinuation that they're the only ones isn't right. There are actually some chameleons which do have one horn structure, like the Meller's Chameleon. So basically, it's nothing specific.

*Charmy's sort of an exception, since he's denoted as a honey bee. Not a singular species, but honey bees only have about a dozen out of over 20,000 bee species in their genus.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Tylinos » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:50 pm

I wasn't a fan of the lead story. Artwise, it had the same problems I had with the Lupe story. Something felt just off about the art style, and there were a lot of panels where characters had some bizarre expressions. Storywise, a lot of it felt like "Hey, check out these new characters who we're pushing for you to be invested in, even though they don't really contribute much in this part and you barely get to know them." It came off like a really awkward and forced introduction.

The Sally and Bunnie story, however, had a lot more heart in it. Not much to say there other than it was pretty nice.

After reading it, though, it gave the lead story an even more bitter taste in retrospect. It wasn't just because I enjoyed the backup more, but because we got some really nice characterization for Cassia and Clove in it. But, despite being the same length, the lead story gave us very little on the new guys. Their page time could've been a lot better spent.
Tylinos
BumbleKnight

Postby sonicray » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:26 pm

Trevor looks a lot like Rotor, I'm sure I'm not the only one who notice it, in fact, he looks more tough and gruff looking. Must be the shades.
sonicray
BumbleNoble

Postby AdamBryceThomas » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:17 am

Any particular critique I can take away from this issue, artwise? I've read all the replies in the thread and was wondering if anything stood out/ worked/ didn't work/ storytelling-wise?
AdamBryceThomas
BumbleNewbie

Postby Polish Pete » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:41 am

AdamBryceThomas wrote:Any particular critique I can take away from this issue, artwise? I've read all the replies in the thread and was wondering if anything stood out/ worked/ didn't work/ storytelling-wise?

Well, it's a pretty solid issue overall, can't really complain much. Also, Sonar is SO CUTE!
Polish Pete
BumbleCitizen

Postby AdamBryceThomas » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:51 am

Polish Pete wrote:
AdamBryceThomas wrote:Any particular critique I can take away from this issue, artwise? I've read all the replies in the thread and was wondering if anything stood out/ worked/ didn't work/ storytelling-wise?

Well, it's a pretty solid issue overall, can't really complain much. Also, Sonar is SO CUTE!

Why, thank you!
AdamBryceThomas
BumbleNewbie

Postby Tylinos » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:53 am

AdamBryceThomas wrote:Any particular critique I can take away from this issue, artwise?

Expressions. No offense meant here, but your facial expressions just sometimes look...weird to me. A few in particular that are sticking out when looking at the issue again would be Sonic on page 1, Big's mouth at the top of page 2, Sonic near the top of page 3, and Big at the bottom left of pages 6 and 8.
Tylinos
BumbleKnight

Postby diamonddeath » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:20 am

Ian Flynn wrote:
diamonddeath wrote:
Ian Flynn wrote:Specifically, Nephthys is an Egyptian Vulture.

Would that make the name Nephthys the Egyptian Vulture or just Nephthys the Vulture the right one?

Since there's no "Egypt" on Mobius, it doesn't make sense to call her an "Egyptian Vulture" in-book, now does it? Likewise, Trevor's specifically a golden mole, but calling him such when he's purple in color just makes for confusion.

So the planet is still called Mobius then?
diamonddeath
BumbleNoble

Postby The KKM » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:37 am

The planet has no allowed name. Ian apparently mentally still considers it Mobius, but that's likely just mental nicknaming at this point.

Also pls pls bring in Thrash and then stop with the big purple bruisers forever ok
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby DoNotDelete » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:04 am

Making Moley McMolerson a golden yellow colour would have been perfectly acceptable in my opinion, but then people would probably accuse him of too closely resembling Bark the Bear.

TOO MUCH YELLOW. TOO MUCH PURPLE. WHY CAN'T WE JUST ALL BE FRIENDS.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby The KKM » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:55 am

see, thing is, at least so far there's only one bark, instead of there being 4 barks

it's like when you had an insistence in green annoying birds pre-reboot, except much more noticeable since it's just been 2 years
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby PeléPelé06 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:34 am

No major complaints here, I think this issue is your best yet. Compared to #276 & 277, you've improved not only with facial expressions, but with panel layouts as well (that's what used to be my complaint). I just accept that you have your own art style, and even then I think you've been steadily improving.

Keep up the good work, and I hope to see you return for future issues! :)
PeléPelé06
BumbleFan

Postby TurboTailz » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:47 pm

Ok I got my issue today and here's my feedback.

Both stories were great.

First story the introduction of the new freedom fighters group was okay. I get the feeling towards the end they may end up saving Sonic and his crew by doing another sneak attack attempt. If that's not the case then they surely did a two time number on them setting them up for traps. However I highly doubt that from them.

Second story was very interesting seeing the two villains. Clove appears to be neutral and likes to avoid conflict. She may happen to be one of those characters that's fighting on the wrong side. However she's not only working for Eggman due to loyalty, but also for her sister's sake. Cassia is useful and you can't really trust her because she seems to like conflict. However in the end Clove may just let Bunnie go unless there's alternative scenery where it doesn't involve Clove and Bunnie escape Eggman's forces. She may might have to leave the Emerald behind or somehow manages to take it. She might be saved by Sally obviously, but cameo appearance or another saving scenery within Eggman ranks is cool too.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius