Sonic Party

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Sonic Party

Postby Vampfox » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:18 am

So since all of the Sonic games are pretty much canon now in the new universe I decided to watch some Youtube videos of the Sonic games that I don't own. One among them is Sonic Shuffle. After watching a playthrough of the game I realized that Sonic Shuffle seems kind of boring.

It's clear that the game was meant to be Sega's answer to Nintendo's Mario Party, but Sonic Shuffle just looks so lifeless compared to Mario Party. The game boards look dull, the minigames seem dull, all in all it just doesn't seem like it's a lot of fun.

So what does everyone think about Sonic Shuffle?
Vampfox
BumbleCult

Re: Sonic Party

Postby Mobotropolis » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:25 pm

Sonic Shuffle and Mario Party were made by the same company.

Sonic Shuffle is actually my favorite spinoff (really!). The game was seriously flawed -- but the same thing could be said about the original Mario Party. It took a few years and additions to iron out the flaws of Mario Party. I thought most of the problems in Shuffle could be addressed with a fine-tuned sequel.

Overview:

+ Compared to Mario Party, Sonic Shuffle was a less luck-based game. The Card System meant you knew exactly where you were going to go and roughly how much damage you'd do in battles. For the few luck-based things that could happen there were items that could turn the odds in your favor. Being a more skilled based game is a double edged sword, however, but we'll get to that later.

+ Battles, Events, and Quests took away from the hum-drum of running around and collecting Precioustones. The game felt almost like a bare bones RPG in that aspect, but it would've been nice to see more thought put into making every character unique, different types of attacks, and HP/Rings more difficult to gain.

+ Games were faster than Mario Party. Since you didn't have to sit through a mandatory minigame at the end of each turn (Mario Party did away with this in later additions) games went by faster. The average storyline-board with all Precioustones took about an hour though not all of it was play-time (will get to that). Mario Party Games can last much longer -- and don't get me started on Fortune Street.

- Load Times. Almost every professional review blasted Sonic Shuffle for extremely long load times of up to a minute. Whenever a Minigame/Event/Battle happens or a Precioustone is collected it triggers more loading. All of the waiting really drains the fun out of the game. Especially when the AI is prone to triggering Events/Battles for absolutely no reason (will get to that!).

- The AI outright cheated. This is not bitter speculation. This has been confirmed by taking a long look at how the game was programmed. The AI always knew which cards were in covered hands and shuffling (which randomizes your hand so human players can't easily steal your cards) doesn't affect them. They also instinctively knew where to get the cards they needed for battles and were very good at the Minigames and Events, even on Easy.

- They didn't do much with the parts that made the game unique. Even though there are things here that make it different than Mario Party the meat of the game is still running around the board and playing Minigames. I wish they did more with battles, Events, Quests, and Character Traits to make the game unique.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby OncleSam » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:31 pm

Honestly at the time I prefered Sonic Shuffle over Mario Party. Mostly because I didin't own a Nintendo 64 but a Dreamcast instead, and I was always more hyped for Sonic than Mario. But I replayed it last year I think and the thing I immediatly noticed is that the rounds were REALLY FRICKIN LONG. I think that's the " boring " side. But that's maybe because of the console's capacity at the time, making faster rounds impossible ? IDK.

My favorite side game was the one where you controlled some kind of transformer thing and had to stomp the other guys. The final battle with Void was nice too ^^
OncleSam
BumbleKnight

Postby lalalei2001 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:46 pm

I love Sonic Shuffle AND Mario Party ^^ My favorite thing about Shuffle were the characters, monsters, story, and Mini-Events. Mini-Events are my favorite!
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Vampfox » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:58 pm

Mobotropolis wrote:Sonic Shuffle and Mario Party were made by the same company.

Yes I know that Sonic Shuffle and Mario Party were made by the same company but that doesn't change the fact that Sonic Shuffle only exist to be the Sonic version of Mario Party. Crash tried it too anyone remember Crash Brash?
Vampfox
BumbleCult

Postby Meliden » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:02 pm

Mario Party is when your friends hate you.

Crash Bash is when the difficulty curve hates you.

Sonic Shuffle is when Quality Assurance hates you.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Mordum » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:29 pm

I played it once years ago and thought it was pretty aight.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby OncleSam » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:25 pm

Meliden wrote:Mario Party is when your friends hate you.

Crash Bash is when the difficulty curve hates you.

Sonic Shuffle is when Quality Assurance hates you.

You sir, just made my night.

:(hearty laughter):
OncleSam
BumbleKnight

Postby Mobotropolis » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:53 pm

Yes I know that Sonic Shuffle and Mario Party were made by the same company but that doesn't change the fact that Sonic Shuffle only exist to be the Sonic version of Mario Party.

Well ... Sonic the Hedgehog was designed to be Sega's version/answer to Mario and was known as such in-house until the character design was finalized and he finally got a name.

I think he turned out a'ight.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby Azul » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:36 pm

Never played it. Looks interesting and I like the idea concept for the most part. Wish it was on one of the next gen consoles for download but alas.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:35 am

I've played Sonic Shuffle enough with enough different people that I can see what the problems are in it.

First of all, it has a few things going for it. Eschewing dice for cards was an interesting touch, and using the VMU to hide your hand was a nice touch. Then, it has a lot more mobility options than Mario Party does, including giving characters their own special abilities. This is a good and bad thing because it leads to the characters being imbalanced. The force Jewels add another layer to the game, which increases strategy and lowers luck.

The edition of mini events as opposed to just minigames gives it its own unique sort of flair, and the fact these events are changed based on different conditions is great. there's one in particular where if you get it, you fall asleep and lose a turn, but if you play as Gamma, he shoots the music maker and continues on his way as if nothing happened.

I also enjoy the freedom of movement. Instead of being on a track, you get to choose where you go each turn. The trade-off here being that you must land on spaces instead of passing them.

The fight system using cards was also interesting too, making you have to think about what cards you were going to use and when, especially when cards were getting low.

The levels were each interesting, and had a dynamic element to them. Let's not forget how they cap off stages with one last mini game, allowing people to catch up a bit (you get an emblem just for beating that final game, which could wind up being imbalanced, but also adds to the unpredictability of the end)

The game falters when the AI is involved, as they cheat like no tomorrow, knowing exactly what cards are going to be in your hand and where. They also are very good at the minigames, iirc
The minigames are hit and miss. A lot of them are better than the mario party games at the time, and some of them are kinda meh, but I remember liking more of them than not.

the worst part is the time it takes to play a game. Since there's no trn counter, you play until you've collected all the precsioustones, and well, that could take all day.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Mobotropolis » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:13 am

you fall asleep and lose a turn, but if you play as Gamma, he shoots the music maker and continues on his way as if nothing happened.

I did not know this. :o

That event is triggered by the Eggman Card.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:37 am

Mobotropolis wrote:
you fall asleep and lose a turn, but if you play as Gamma, he shoots the music maker and continues on his way as if nothing happened.

I did not know this. :o

That event is triggered by the Eggman Card.

That's a different event. I'm referring to the one mini event when your character walks through the canyon
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Mobotropolis » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:56 pm

The one with Eggman playing the strange instrument?

That just makes it more hilarious. That is the type of thing I'd like to see for a sequel.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby lalalei2001 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:12 pm

THAT'S how you get through there!? I had no idea!

I'm stuck at one less Mini-Event than there is in the collection. The really frustrating thing is I remember getting the one I'm missing as my very first Mini-Event when i first played the game. It's the one where Eggman is hiding in a hole to ambush you and if you're Knuckles you catch him and chase him out. I think.

EDIT:

This event is what always frustrated me as a kid. I'm guessing you have to be Big the Cat?
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius