Who do you want Sally to hook up with in the post reboot?

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Who do you want Sally to hook up with in the post reboot?

Postby jazzflower92 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:21 pm

I was thinking since Sally and Sonic are no longer a couple and are made just friends. I was thinking who do you want her to end up with. I know since she is not a Sega character she can be in a relationship with someone. Even though this is a crackship, I kind of would like her to hook up with Big the Cat. I know Big the Cat is a retired character so I think he could at least be in a relationship with someone.
jazzflower92
BumbleFan

Re: Who do you want Sally to hook up with in the post reboot

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:28 pm

Nicole. They have a great chemistry and as she grows to be more...Mobian I guess I could see her developing feelings for Sally since they're so close.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby linebyline » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:53 pm

I brought this up in the BumbleKast ep. 1 thread, but it bears repeating: Sally and Nicole have a great relationship as friends. In theory, we have a bunch of tight same-sex friendships: Amy and Cream, Mighty and Ray, Blaze and Marine, and of course Sonic and Tails. In practice, we haven't seen all that much of their friendships post-reboot. (Or even pre-reboot in some cases.) Sally and Nicole currently have the best-developed of any friendship among the core cast of the main comic. I don't want to see that get replaced with yet another tepid romance, but honestly I wouldn't even want to lose it for the sake of a good romance.

Besides, I'm sick of this idea that any two people who get along well will eventually wind up romantically involved. It's as if you simply can't just be friends with a member of the sex you're attracted to, and if you spend much time with the other one, then obviously it means you're bisexual. Because the only possible end goal of any close relationship is obviously... you know what, forget it, I'm ranting.

But that brings me to a problem with the entire premise of the question: It treats the idea that Sally should hook up with someone as a given. Why should we assume that? Sally spent a huge chunk of her pre-reboot tenure as a focus of relationship drama, and especially as a point of a love triangle. I haven't read the whole series, but I did not once see that done well. (It got close in the date night story on the road to #225, but even that had some issues.) So there's a strong precedent that may not prove, but certainly very strongly suggests, that getting Sally back into the dating scene is not the best way to develop her character. (Now, I'll be the first to admit that just because something was done badly doesn't mean it's a bad idea in principle. But this has been tried and failed so many times that I really think it's time to try something else.) And even setting that aside, there's so much more that could be done with the character, and as one of nine main characters, she's only going to get so much page time. Why is her love life the best use of that page time, and not those leadership skills of hers, or whatever royal duties she has, or (again) her non-romantic relationships, or anything else?

Besides, what kind of message is that sending to the kids who are supposed to be the target audience? Remember, girls, you can be a leader and a princess and a chipmunk and a freedom fighter, but none of that matters as much as who you're dating!
linebyline
BumbleKnight

Postby jazzflower92 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:22 am

It doesn't have to happen right away. Focusing on friendships is good because they often times are more important and crucial than romance. I am thinking if they did make her hook up with someone it would have to be a slow and steady process with good development.
jazzflower92
BumbleFan

Postby Canard » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:31 am

I would like Sally X Nicole, but not as some kind of "full of drama relationship", but more some kind of calmer relationship, and not treated like the alpha and the omega of the characters. I mean, seeing them just hanging together, some a-bit-romantic-stuff, and maybe some "philosophical" (I mean, archiemegaman-like philosophy, not some kind of dissertation) stuff done with it (as love between one synthetic being and a biological one can be interesting).

But I also agree with linebyline, with the fact it's a bit annoying that we tend to pair up characters when they are very good friend, and it's better to avoid the "you have to be in relationship". That's why making it a "big deal" wouldn't be a good thing, and that's why having one female character without relationship is a good thing. But as a same time, their is also another cliché about relationship, that is "you can't mix relationship with responsibilities"... So it's complicated.

And I also would like storytime being used to develop more the characters and their friendship. I would like to see more of Sally's friendship with Antoine, Rotor, Bunnie, Amy... But it's true with many of the characters, and I would also like to see Nicole's friendship with those characters. And I think with time, we will see more of it.
Canard
BumbleNewbie

Postby Meliden » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:03 am

I don't care, to be honest. She could hook up with nobody at all ever and I'd be fine with that.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Toby » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:05 am

Images

"Looks GOOOD, don't it?"
Toby
BumbleNoble

Postby Vampfox » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:13 am

Toby wrote:Images

"Looks GOOOD, don't it?"

I thought that you shipped Sally with Big Toby :?
Vampfox
BumbleCult

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:43 am

My head cannon is that Sonic & Sally are still couple, just never say it out loud. We all know that they won't get any different relation in Reboot.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Spin » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:46 am

I'm tempted to say Nicole and Sonic. With Sonic acting as the casual third wheel that pops in and out of their relationship due to Sega mandate. But that'd be adding a layer of controversy considering the hill Sally and Nicole would already be facing. But it would at least give SonSal a new angle unlike it had for years now.

Otherwise Big, since I stuck with it for so long.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby Nintenfreak » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:22 am

Toby wrote:Images

"Looks GOOOD, don't it?"

Was gonna suggest one of these new Post Crisis cartoon characters, but no Toby's right, I think this guy is the logical choice.
Nintenfreak
BumbleKnight

Postby fremenchips » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:20 am

While I don't think in the immediate future its really necessary for her to be in a relationship since the world is still largely in shattered I would like to see her try her hand in romance. It's a chance to see another side to the character as we know that she can be a leader and give orders but that isn't what makes for a good romantic partner and watching her struggle to balance the what makes her a good leader with what makes her a good partner could add another dimension to her character. Also since Sally isn't Sega it lets Ian and the other writers a freer hand in letting the character dictate the pace of their development rather than having the needs of story being subject to what ever game Sega is pushing.
fremenchips
BumbleNewbie

Postby Mordum » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:12 am

I like romance, but also don't really care if it shows up or not.

I also have never understood shipping. If two characters get romantically involved or interested, I don't have any preconceived notions of who I'd prefer these to be. I'm not going to judge a story based on something it either doesn't know I "want" or not going with the preconceived notions I have (especially since I am obligated to interpret the material if I engage with it, the material is not meant to interpret me).

I will say, though, the Sally and Nicole push reminds me of the long, long history I've had of going in and out of fandoms and seeing supposedly tolerant and accepting people pushing something LGBT in the most condescending way possible, so while I wouldn't oppose it as a story element, I don't think very highly of the people who want it. Close same sex friendship being the same as budding romance is not an outlook I've ever appreciated.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby DC » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:45 am

MetalSkulkBane wrote:My head cannon is that Sonic & Sally are still couple, just never say it out loud. We all know that they won't get any different relation in Reboot.

Yeah, I still want Sonic and Sally to end up together permanently. I don't care what Sega thinks.
DC
BumbleKnight

Postby FancyFool » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:37 am

Like Meliden, I honestly don't care who Sally gets hooked up with. She could hook up with Nicole, Rotor, Big, or even Honey for all I care. So long it's absolutely NOT Sonic the Hedgehog whatsoever
FancyFool
BumbleFan

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius