Sonic Universe #81 Spoilers, Discussion, and Fixin's

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Sonic Universe #81 Spoilers, Discussion, and Fixin's

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:45 pm

I hear people are getting this issue now and want a nice place to talk about it.

Since I can't provide one, I'll just start up this thread instead. So enjoy, be nice, and there won't be no whoopin's, y'hear?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Re: Sonic Universe #83 Spoilers, Discussion, and Fixin's

Postby Unknownshadow675 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:52 pm

I think you meant 81.
Unknownshadow675
BumbleFan

Postby diamonddeath » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:01 pm

People are getting 83 before 81 and 82?
diamonddeath
BumbleNoble

Postby FritzyBeat » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:03 pm

diamonddeath wrote:People are getting 83 before 81 and 82?

I blame Back to the Future day. The Doc clearly messed with our time-space again. Silver was probably involved too, the goober.
FritzyBeat
BumbleClan

Postby Meliden » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:03 pm

Man, #83 was great. I didn't know Mordred practiced Mambo in his free time!

Slightly more seriously, IT'S ABUSE of IT'S NO USE.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby TurboTailz » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:21 pm

I think LBD did a little time traveling :P. Nevertheless nice dbz reference :wink:
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby Azul » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:51 pm

This thread is full of win.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby linebyline » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:45 pm

Well, may as well post spoilers. If this really was supposed to be #83 and not #81, I guess a mod can move it.

Spoiler: show
  • We open right where we left off last issue: Our heroes strapped to tables, Gold still wearing the mind-control-ish mask that made her open the portal.
  • The council go on for a bit about how this is For Science and Von Schlemmer points out how, no, duh, this is not how you science.
  • The tables/cuffs counteract Silver's telekinesis, because even the council aren't that stupid.
  • Then the robot guards chuck Silver and Von Schlemmer into the portal, while Gold protests that they're going to let something in.
  • Inside the Swirly Purple Zone, one of the grabby hands breaks Von Schlemmer free of the force-field things holding his head to the table. As for the shackles on his arms, there's a very good explana
  • Von Schlemmer releases the bits, whom he just remembered he had stored in his pockets, to break Silver free, and they all escape the Swirly Purple Zone.
  • They're followed by a scary disembodied face and an especially large grabby hand.
  • Even once outside, Silver can't close the portal. As Von Schlemmer predicted, it's now too big.
  • The council tries to slink off and escape the consequences of their rash actions. Silver telekinetically slams the door in their face, and everyone takes turns berating them for, well, being stupid.
  • Councilor Number One starts to deliver a "Why you suck more than us" speech, but then notices something behind Silver, prompting him/her/it/etc. to say, "no," which is actually more dramatic than I make it sound.
  • What Number One was reacting to was that giant grabby hand, which finally emerges from the portal--blowing the roof off the council's lab in the process--and smashes down on the councilors. Von Schlemmer quickly pushes Silver and Gold to safety.
  • The hand raises to reveal that the council have been turned to stone, which I guess is better than a bloody pulp.
  • The big hand's owner begins pulling the rest of itself through the portal, knocking our heroes out of the tower. Silver manages to catch everyone, prompting a "Danke, mein friend!" from Von Schlemmer. (I'm quoting it because I think it's significant.)
  • The creature finally emerges. It's a spiky skull, a ribcage, Popeye-ish arms, and a few severed vertebra, all poking out of a purple wisp of flame. (No, not that kind of Wisp.) A caption box reveals its name to be "Second Devourer" (get it?)
  • The Second Devourer's emergence knocks our heroes back yet again, sending them careening to the pavement--headfirst, in von Schlemmer's case, knocking him out cold.
  • Gold uses her telepathy to enter into a flashback explaining how she met this monster as a kid, back "When it took my city, my world...."
  • She panicked, jumped through a portal, and wound up at the feet of the council. They promised to take care of her, but really just wanted to keep her close--"to keep a tight leash on their newest toy," as she puts it. She says she had to resist their taking her mind.
  • She then delivers the second "it's no use" reference in the issue, but it's worth it because it gives Silver a chance to speak for himself and the audience by saying how sick he is of hearing those words.
  • Silver picks up Von Schlemmer and the chunk of street he's lying on, and heads off to the lab, looking like he's got him a plan.

• Vincent Lovallo chimes in with some concept art for Von Schlemmer, Gold (NSFW), and the Bits, as well as a couple environment paintings.
  • Off-Panel is about Gold telepathically getting the Sonic X theme stuck in everyone else's heads.
  • In Sonic-Grams, Vin (or whoever answers the letters) acts like a somewhat funnier Mike Pellerito by insulting the first letter instead of answering it, but gives honest-to-goodness answers to the other two.

No, I don't know why I always end up being all snarky with the summaries. I guess it's just fun. Sorry if that's annoying.

So the flashback reveals that Gold had that symbol on her head before she met the council. There goes my pet hypothesis that it's something the council implanted in case they needed to restrain her while she wasn't wearing the ubiquitous handcuff-clothing. On the other hand, what is it and why can those tables use it to restrain her just like Silver's cuffs? Hopefully we'll find out next issue.

As for the council, dang, what a waste. I mean, from their body language, they all seemed to have some shreds of individual personalities, despite themselves. I'd hoped to see more of what they hoped to accomplish. But now they're basically killed off, except maybe not? I don't know? Guess we'll see if the next issue does anything with this.

And then, of course, there's the Second Devourer. Was there a First Devourer I'm not aware of? Well, actually, it looks like the first devourer is actually the Time Eater. Get it, because second is a unit of time, and devour means eat? Ha ha? First Black Death, now this. What's next, Dim Terra? Colonel Beard? Prof. Ovumguy?

Then there are a few other things, like Von Schlemmer's disappearing shackles, the Devourer taking its sweet time to emerge from the portal, overusing the "Devourer knocks people aside" motif, and maybe a couple little panel composition things that could stand to be clarified.

Setting aside the nitpicks, gripes, and cheap shots, I really liked this issue. It was a little slow, sure, but there were enough enjoyable parts that I...well...enjoyed it.

I liked the Bits, and you could call them deus ex machina but doggone it, we established that Von Schlemmer is super forgetful, and we established the bits, so why the heck not? (Certainly less annoyingly-convenient than if the grabby hands had broken them both free.)

There's some great Von Schlemmer stuff, like him being the one to push the others out of the way of the Devourer's hand, and the verbal beatdown he delivers to the council. (A little heavy-handed? Maybe, but the target audience is kids, and some of them might miss the subtler stuff. It doesn't come across as dumbed-down, anyway; just more explicit than it would probably be in a comic targeted at grown-ups.)

Silver's "it's no use" speech was great, especially because it had a purpose beyond just hanging a lantern on the meme-abuse. He took something that people have been using to beat him down and countered it with a glorious show of determination and resolve. We've come a long way from the "And I've had enough 'Pokemon'" days.

This was a good read, all considered.
linebyline
BumbleKnight

Postby Betz! » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:45 pm

linebyline wrote:Well, may as well post spoilers. If this really was supposed to be #83 and not #81, I guess a mod can move it.

Spoiler: show
  • We open right where we left off last issue: Our heroes strapped to tables, Gold still wearing the mind-control-ish mask that made her open the portal.
  • The council go on for a bit about how this is For Science and Von Schlemmer points out how, no, duh, this is not how you science.
  • The tables/cuffs counteract Silver's telekinesis, because even the council aren't that stupid.
  • Then the robot guards chuck Silver and Von Schlemmer into the portal, while Gold protests that they're going to let something in.
  • Inside the Swirly Purple Zone, one of the grabby hands breaks Von Schlemmer free of the force-field things holding his head to the table. As for the shackles on his arms, there's a very good explana
  • Von Schlemmer releases the bits, whom he just remembered he had stored in his pockets, to break Silver free, and they all escape the Swirly Purple Zone.
  • They're followed by a scary disembodied face and an especially large grabby hand.
  • Even once outside, Silver can't close the portal. As Von Schlemmer predicted, it's now too big.
  • The council tries to slink off and escape the consequences of their rash actions. Silver telekinetically slams the door in their face, and everyone takes turns berating them for, well, being stupid.
  • Councilor Number One starts to deliver a "Why you suck more than us" speech, but then notices something behind Silver, prompting him/her/it/etc. to say, "no," which is actually more dramatic than I make it sound.
  • What Number One was reacting to was that giant grabby hand, which finally emerges from the portal--blowing the roof off the council's lab in the process--and smashes down on the councilors. Von Schlemmer quickly pushes Silver and Gold to safety.
  • The hand raises to reveal that the council have been turned to stone, which I guess is better than a bloody pulp.
  • The big hand's owner begins pulling the rest of itself through the portal, knocking our heroes out of the tower. Silver manages to catch everyone, prompting a "Danke, mein friend!" from Von Schlemmer. (I'm quoting it because I think it's significant.)
  • The creature finally emerges. It's a spiky skull, a ribcage, Popeye-ish arms, and a few severed vertebra, all poking out of a purple wisp of flame. (No, not that kind of Wisp.) A caption box reveals its name to be "Second Devourer" (get it?)
  • The Second Devourer's emergence knocks our heroes back yet again, sending them careening to the pavement--headfirst, in von Schlemmer's case, knocking him out cold.
  • Gold uses her telepathy to enter into a flashback explaining how she met this monster as a kid, back "When it took my city, my world...."
  • She panicked, jumped through a portal, and wound up at the feet of the council. They promised to take care of her, but really just wanted to keep her close--"to keep a tight leash on their newest toy," as she puts it. She says she had to resist their taking her mind.
  • She then delivers the second "it's no use" reference in the issue, but it's worth it because it gives Silver a chance to speak for himself and the audience by saying how sick he is of hearing those words.
  • Silver picks up Von Schlemmer and the chunk of street he's lying on, and heads off to the lab, looking like he's got him a plan.

• Vincent Lovallo chimes in with some concept art for Von Schlemmer, Gold (NSFW), and the Bits, as well as a couple environment paintings.
  • Off-Panel is about Gold telepathically getting the Sonic X theme stuck in everyone else's heads.
  • In Sonic-Grams, Vin (or whoever answers the letters) acts like a somewhat funnier Mike Pellerito by insulting the first letter instead of answering it, but gives honest-to-goodness answers to the other two.

No, I don't know why I always end up being all snarky with the summaries. I guess it's just fun. Sorry if that's annoying.

So the flashback reveals that Gold had that symbol on her head before she met the council. There goes my pet hypothesis that it's something the council implanted in case they needed to restrain her while she wasn't wearing the ubiquitous handcuff-clothing. On the other hand, what is it and why can those tables use it to restrain her just like Silver's cuffs? Hopefully we'll find out next issue.

As for the council, dang, what a waste. I mean, from their body language, they all seemed to have some shreds of individual personalities, despite themselves. I'd hoped to see more of what they hoped to accomplish. But now they're basically killed off, except maybe not? I don't know? Guess we'll see if the next issue does anything with this.

And then, of course, there's the Second Devourer. Was there a First Devourer I'm not aware of? Well, actually, it looks like the first devourer is actually the Time Eater. Get it, because second is a unit of time, and devour means eat? Ha ha? First Black Death, now this. What's next, Dim Terra? Colonel Beard? Prof. Ovumguy?

Then there are a few other things, like Von Schlemmer's disappearing shackles, the Devourer taking its sweet time to emerge from the portal, overusing the "Devourer knocks people aside" motif, and maybe a couple little panel composition things that could stand to be clarified.

Setting aside the nitpicks, gripes, and cheap shots, I really liked this issue. It was a little slow, sure, but there were enough enjoyable parts that I...well...enjoyed it.

I liked the Bits, and you could call them deus ex machina but doggone it, we established that Von Schlemmer is super forgetful, and we established the bits, so why the heck not? (Certainly less annoyingly-convenient than if the grabby hands had broken them both free.)

There's some great Von Schlemmer stuff, like him being the one to push the others out of the way of the Devourer's hand, and the verbal beatdown he delivers to the council. (A little heavy-handed? Maybe, but the target audience is kids, and some of them might miss the subtler stuff. It doesn't come across as dumbed-down, anyway; just more explicit than it would probably be in a comic targeted at grown-ups.)

Silver's "it's no use" speech was great, especially because it had a purpose beyond just hanging a lantern on the meme-abuse. He took something that people have been using to beat him down and countered it with a glorious show of determination and resolve. We've come a long way from the "And I've had enough 'Pokemon'" days.

This was a good read, all considered.

So that thing at the beginning ISN'T the time eater?
Betz!
BumbleKnight

Postby Penguin God » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:57 pm

It doesn't use the same design, so probably not. That worked for Eclipse since he got reworked into a more interesting character, but here it comes off as kind of lame. I mean, it's still the Time Eater, just with a skeleton on it: it even does an imitation of Time Eater pulling the time out of something by turning the council to stone. Gold's backstory isn't very interesting either, and yeah, the Council is so quickly taken care of they don't end up contributing anything. At this point I'm still just interested in Silver and Schlemmer, but they don't do too much in this issue either. They do a little, but it's mostly just the non-Time Eater showing up. I don't know, this issue doesn't do anything for me.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Re: Sonic Universe #81 Spoilers, Discussion, and Fixin's

Postby Razorsaw » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:45 pm

They might not be allowed to use the time devourer.
Razorsaw
BumbleCitizen

Postby Meliden » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:26 am

Ah, well if it's like Generations (although I'm pretty sure the others were just whited, not specifically turned to stone), that should be easy enough to fix.

*Silver completes Onyx City Zone*
*That ridiculously happy jingle plays*
*The other four council members just look around confused after being given back their colour*
Council: Yes.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby The KKM » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:37 am

Might be less "they can't use the Time Eater" and more "they said Generations happened already, so hasn't the Time Eater already been destroyed?"
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Arkus0 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:47 am

The KKM wrote:Might be less "they can't use the Time Eater" and more "they said Generations happened already, so hasn't the Time Eater already been destroyed?"

I agree, for all we know there are other time based Eldritch horrors out there and the Time Eater was just one of them. Since it got defeated back in Generations (which according to Worlds Unite has already happened), they would need to use a new version. Unless you want to go with the Wibbly-Wobbly-Timey-Wimey stuff approach and think they still could of used the Time Eater if it was an earlier version of it before Eggman got his hands on it.

As for the Council turning to stone, I doubt that's the end of them. Its exactly what happened to Sonic's friends so I'm sure they'll get restored eventually if not by the end of this arc.
Arkus0
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mavrickindigo » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:10 pm

My theory that this is a prequel to Sonic Generations is kinda shot. But now that we've established this thing isn't called the "Time Eater," I'm wondering where that time gate thing the Council has came from? It was obviously the boss gate from Sonic Generations, but if that's the case, did they make it, and it went back in time to Sonic Generations before the Second Devourer showed up? Is the Second Devourer just a "previous" form of the Time eater, and the Time Eater is just the Second Devourer? Is the second Devour actually the second in a line of Devourers? Is the Time Eater the first?

Really, it seems like third acts in Sonic Universe arcs tend to cause trouble. Wasn't it the third issue where we found out that Phage worked for Eggman? It seems to be a recurring trait in SU arcs that fans come up with so many ideas, that the twist that shows up is so far off the radar that it winds up disappointing people? Is this a response to how fans were annoyed how easy it was to determine that Sally was the traitor?

Probably thinking too much on this. Despite the coming of the devourer destroying all my fan theories and whatnot, I'm interested in seeing where this goes, so it didn't ruin the story for me, just raises far more questions than I think I should have at this point in the game.

They might not be allowed to use the time devourer.

I think a crossover with Chrono Cross would be a real surprise.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius