StH#281/SU#84/SCS Covers and Solicits

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: StH#281/SU#84/SCS Covers and Solicits

Postby Village » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:18 pm

i have no feelings. The art is nice but, no feelings really. A feb cover, and two covers with literally who's. I hope the stories inside are good.
Village
BumbleCitizen

Postby Tylinos » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:23 pm

...Well then. At this point, I didn't expect we'd ever see Conquering Storm again. Glad to be surprised by that one, even if I never really cared for her much as a character before.

Nice to see the Battle Lord and Dulcy back too, but we knew they were still around anyway. (Or could figure as much in the Battle Lord's case.) And assuming green dude's Akhlut, that's an...interesting redesign. Barely looks like him, really, but I get why he's changed.

Oh, and variant cover or not, Cupid Omega is fantastic.
Tylinos
BumbleKnight

Postby sonicray » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:33 pm

Its been over 100 issues since I last saw Dulcy the Dragon, interesting new look she has there, and I welcome Conquering Storm and the Battle Lord, I was concern that The Battle Bird Armada would not be in the new reboot. I'm glad I was wrong.
sonicray
BumbleNoble

Postby NxtWaltDisney » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:42 pm

No, Omega. You're supposed to hurt them with arrows, not make them fall in love. :P
NxtWaltDisney
BumbleClan

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:49 pm

dang, I've been saying since I first joined this board that I hope Dulcy's redesign is even more drastic than Rotor's, and that's exactly what we got. looks great! also, Battle Kukku is an Egg Boss? potentially interesting. also, having to choose between Hesse and Skelly covers, this is too cruel
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby Betz! » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:53 pm

Bow to the Battle Lord as he makes his mighty return.
Betz!
BumbleKnight

Postby akessel92 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:18 pm

Akhulut looks good. He sure lost weight cause he was quite the whale *shot*
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby TurboTailz » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:30 pm

It seems the only girl not affected by the arrows in the variant cover is Blaze. Would've been a nice touch if her flames were shot at Omega Cupid.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby Mobotropolis » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:49 pm

Dulcy's redesign is pretty much what I expected.

At least it's not Ben.

SO ... updating my list from the previous thread:

Akhlut - Northern Oceans
Axel - Efrika
Clove - Northamera
Mordred - Eurish
Nephthys - Midesta (guessing they're the thing in the top right and wearing a mask)
Thunderbolt - Soumerca
Tundra - Artika
Conquering Storm - Yurashia
(Think it's the guy in the bottom right) - Tralius
Inkling - Southern Oceans
Battle Lord-Guy - Of the Sky
??? - ???

Now #12 is missing.

Bits of Speculation:
Spoiler: show
Not all of these at once, but just throwing stuff out there and thinking something will stick.

#12 is probably Eggman's Ace and will help him fix this mess.

#12 might be Snively ... who will help him fix this mess.

#12's realm might be the Digital Realm ...

... it could also be half the sky which I'd absolutely hate.

They might be hiding #12 because they are another returning character -- or a character that we wouldn't expect would be affiliated with Eggman. Like a surprise that makes the reveal worth it.

My other line of thinking is that ... there might not be a #12. Instead an unaffiliated 3rd Party comes in and saves the day for Eggman. New-guy wants in but (probably rightfully) Eggman doesn't trust them. They decide to go along with it until the Shattered World is fixed.

Why is Dulcy being introduced with a team?

Choose Your Own Answer:

- ... because introducing characters in groups is the quickest way to refill the roster
- ... because the old Dragon Kingdom Leader is unusable and she's a logical substitute
- ... because this gives her a reason to be here. The writers struggled with what to do with her before
- ... because she was handled clumsily before (in both SatAM and Archie) and a new direction might fix it
- ... because they said so

As much as I'm not a fan of " everybody gets a team " I'm also not a fan of " we don't know what to do with this character so I'm not going to use them ". If having Dulcy back means we get 2-3 characters that will never be anything more that " Member of the Chun-nan Freedom Fighters who contributes " then so be it.

I'd also guess-
-we're going to get 12 Heroic Teams to counter Eggman's 12 Armies.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby diamonddeath » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:50 am

Mobotropolis wrote:Dulcy's redesign is pretty much what I expected.

At least it's not Ben.

SO ... updating my list from the previous thread:

Akhlut - Northern Oceans
Axel - Efrika
Clove - Northamera
Mordred - Eurish
Nephthys - Midesta (guessing they're the thing in the top right and wearing a mask)
Thunderbolt - Soumerca
Tundra - Artika
Conquering Storm - Yurashia
(Think it's the guy in the bottom right) - Tralius
Inkling - Southern Oceans
Battle Lord-Guy - Of the Sky
??? - ???

Now #12 is missing.

Bits of Speculation:
Not all of these at once, but just throwing stuff out there and thinking something will stick.

#12 is probably Eggman's Ace and will help him fix this mess.

#12 might be Snively ... who will help him fix this mess.

#12's realm might be the Digital Realm ...

... it could also be half the sky which I'd absolutely hate.

They might be hiding #12 because they are another returning character -- or a character that we wouldn't expect would be affiliated with Eggman. Like a surprise that makes the reveal worth it.

My other line of thinking is that ... there might not be a #12. Instead an unaffiliated 3rd Party comes in and saves the day for Eggman. New-guy wants in but (probably rightfully) Eggman doesn't trust them. They decide to go along with it until the Shattered World is fixed.

Why is Dulcy being introduced with a team?

Choose Your Own Answer:

- ... because introducing characters in groups is the quickest way to refill the roster
- ... because the old Dragon Kingdom Leader is unusable and she's a logical substitute
- ... because this gives her a reason to be here. The writers struggled with what to do with her before
- ... because she was handled clumsily before (in both SatAM and Archie) and a new direction might fix it
- ... because they said so

As much as I'm not a fan of " everybody gets a team " I'm also not a fan of " we don't know what to do with this character so I'm not going to use them ". If having Dulcy back means we get 2-3 characters that will never be anything more that " Member of the Chun-nan Freedom Fighters who contributes " then so be it.

I'd also guess-
-we're going to get 12 Heroic Teams to counter Eggman's 12 Armies.

Who is Tralius, and how do we know there are only two seas? Unless this is just so far.
diamonddeath
BumbleNoble

Postby Meliden » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:57 am

The list is basically copied from what Ian stated. Tralius is a place, not a person, and the ocean has been split into the Northern half and the Southern half.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby diamonddeath » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:00 am

Meliden wrote:The list is basically copied from what Ian stated. Tralius is a place, not a person, and the ocean has been split into the Northern half and the Southern half.

Ah, I actually just came across the post after asking. I'm wondering if the last two places are the eastern and western oceans.
diamonddeath
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:57 am

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Awesome, Dulcy looks like me! =D

Well, a female me. And better-drawn.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

I'm confused now because it looks like Dulcy was modeled more after a 2000s fancharacter design? And I'm not saying yours personally LBD, I would think Ian isn't trying to sneak in friends' fancharacters and all. But new Dulcy gives off that vibe that she's drawn from hazily remembered deviantArt fancharacters from yesteryear, not a modern design. Sure, she looks more Sonic-y than before, where she was just a cartoon dragon with nothing interesting visually aside from being big. Now she's got the horns and outfit but eh. Actual artists could probably point out what I mean better than I could, but with the shoulder pads, megaman boots, horns, and plain lizard face it really feels like a dA fancharacter, not an official Sega design.

I think it looks modern enough. (And I too doubt that Ian or anyone took any inspiration from Mechadrakes; that was more of a joke. The similarities seem to be superficial at best, and... well, I could go on, but I won't.)

With the perspective, I'm not entirely convinced those are actually Mega Man-style proportions, either. In any case, it's not an uncommon look for bipedal humanoid dragons -- TMNT Adventures' Warrior Dragon wasn't so dissimilar, either (that actually inspired part of my take on it), mixed with a bit of SEGASonic.

GentlemanX wrote:
theJcfreak wrote:Why is Dulcy being introduced with a team? I've made critique of this elsewhere but do we really have to introduce every new character, new place, newly redesigned old character with, "Oh look they're freedom fighters too and they all fight together to kick Eggman's butt!" Feh. I want to see the other characters in Chun-nan but I'm disappointed that it looks like it's going to be more freedom fighter nonsense. Where's the cool loners, the other factions, the families, etc etc. Maybe it won't be FF stuff, I don't know. It is hard to judge a whole story by a two sentence synopsis after all.

Putting aside that I like the multiple Freedom Fighters concept, I think we've been pretty even post-reboot with that. We've had the Freedom Fighters, Blaze and Marine, Team Dark, Knuckles Relic and Fixit, the Chaotix, Razor Coral and Pearlie, Mighty Ray and Moss, Honey, Dr. Ellidy, Silver Von Schlemmer and Gold, Lupe, Shamar Freedom Fighters, and now Chun-Nan Freedom Fighters. Most of those much more reflect Sonic Heroes teams than the Freedom Fighter groups of old.

As long as they're not the (Adjective) Freedom Fighters, I'm fine with more teams. Ugh, I hope they're not called the Chun-Nan Freedom Fighters. Something like
Draconix
would be better, if they're all dragon-related somehow.

Anyway, despite what had been said about Dulcy before, I always thought she had potential beyond what we had before, and I'm liking what I'm seeing.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby SamCyberCat » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:20 am

It's a pleasant surprise to see the return of both Dulcy and Conquering Storm. I'm looking forward to seeing both of them again, as well as Clove, Thunderbolt and whoever that aquatic character in the bottom-left is.

I have to confess that when it comes to Dulcy redesigns I kind of prefer the version that Fini-Mun came up with, where Dulcy retains more of her dragon-like qualities, but I do know how much of a big job reworking her into the updated Sonic world is and I'm just happy to see her here at all, so definitely no complaining on my part.
SamCyberCat
BumbleCitizen

Postby Kellox » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:01 am

Love the new covers, the girls being in love chasing Sonic is hilarious and cute and I quite like Dulcy's new look so far. :D
Kellox
BumbleCitizen

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius