StH#281/SU#84/SCS Covers and Solicits

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: StH#281/SU#84/SCS Covers and Solicits

Postby Damo » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:33 pm

Kureejii Lea wrote:
Damo wrote:Some of the other designs are nice, but Dulcy being redesigned as a small biped is a huge letdown.

She's not small, and she was always bipedal.

She's visibly less bulky, and I was hoping that Archie would embrace Dulcy as a dragon and just redesign her as a quadruped to make her more distinct. Instead the decision was made to go the other direction, and her redesign made her less distinct. We have an abundance of Mobians, and a shortage of notable non-humanoid characters at this point. I've generally been satisfied with the redesigns and new designs, but if even mythological characters have to be put into a fairly standard mobian mold it feels like a lost visual opportunity.
Damo
BumbleKnight

Postby GentlemanX » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:42 pm

Love pretty much everything about STH this month. Dulcy's welcome, I think her redesign's cool (though I'd have been fine with it honoring her old design more). Hesse and Skelly both offer beautiful covers, dang we've got some talent. I'm up for both stories, it'll be nice to have Bunnie do something. Also, glad to see no number block on the cover, hopefully that means it'll be a two-parter.

Universe meanwhile continues to be static. No hype for this arc at all and none of these characters look terribly interesting; more visual filler. Poor Akhult, you were such an unique Grandmaster and you've been reduced to "Sub boss #75N". Sigh. Am surprised to see Conquering Storm survive the reboot, and mostly unscathed visually. She still looks a LOT like Lightning Lynx, which I figured would have been the death blow for bringing her back since that should connect her to Fulop based on how Archie has been treating other characters. She's probably the one thing of interest on those Universe covers, though I'm still pretty excited about Clove right now so that's another.

theJcfreak wrote:Why is Dulcy being introduced with a team? I've made critique of this elsewhere but do we really have to introduce every new character, new place, newly redesigned old character with, "Oh look they're freedom fighters too and they all fight together to kick Eggman's butt!" Feh. I want to see the other characters in Chun-nan but I'm disappointed that it looks like it's going to be more freedom fighter nonsense. Where's the cool loners, the other factions, the families, etc etc. Maybe it won't be FF stuff, I don't know. It is hard to judge a whole story by a two sentence synopsis after all.

Putting aside that I like the multiple Freedom Fighters concept, I think we've been pretty even post-reboot with that. We've had the Freedom Fighters, Blaze and Marine, Team Dark, Knuckles Relic and Fixit, the Chaotix, Razor Coral and Pearlie, Mighty Ray and Moss, Honey, Dr. Ellidy, Silver Von Schlemmer and Gold, Lupe, Shamar Freedom Fighters, and now Chun-Nan Freedom Fighters. Most of those much more reflect Sonic Heroes teams than the Freedom Fighter groups of old.
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

Postby The KKM » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:44 pm

theJcfreak wrote:I'm confused now because it looks like Dulcy was modeled more after a 2000s fancharacter design? And I'm not saying yours personally LBD, I would think Ian isn't trying to sneak in friends' fancharacters and all. But new Dulcy gives off that vibe that she's drawn from hazily remembered deviantArt fancharacters from yesteryear, not a modern design. Sure, she looks more Sonic-y than before, where she was just a cartoon dragon with nothing interesting visually aside from being big. Now she's got the horns and outfit but eh. Actual artists could probably point out what I mean better than I could, but with the shoulder pads, megaman boots, horns, and plain lizard face it really feels like a dA fancharacter, not an official Sega design.

(cropped from here)

This is what your post reminded me of :V (not saying the comic stole this design or anything, for the record)
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Penguin God » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:58 pm

She looks big and dragon-y to me. I know I'm not qualified to make that call, I'm no dragon-ologist and I didn't design characters for Sega personally, but she's easily taller than Vector and she looks wider than most characters with nice colors. The new Egg Bosses in SU look a lot more "generic Mobian" which is surprising since I liked the design of individual Egg Bosses we've seen before. Akhlut is the biggest surprise, the ONLY thing that made him interesting in the old book was that he was a straight up orca whale and here even that's discarded.
Dulcy looks like a memorable character while being very different from before. And as much as it pains to me to say it, Dulcy is the one character who deserves a Freedom Fighter team. She was a Freedom Fighter in SataM, she was a Freedom Fighter in the comics. She's been kicked off the main team, but she still deserves to be considered more than just a tertiary citizen like most. Giving her her own team to take care of helps that out and since it's in Chun-Nan, we don't run into the issue where a region is defined by a poorly organized FF team and nothing else.

Seriously though, she is the only one for which that can be said. It should not pop up absolutely anywhere else ever.
Last edited by Penguin God on Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby hyperrush » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:06 pm

Dulcy is Magma Dragoon :(hearty laughter):
hyperrush
BumbleFan

Postby NxtWaltDisney » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:09 pm

Wait, Wait, Wait.

Exactly what's wrong with Dulcy being on a team? The Freedom Fighters/Team Dark/Chaotix shouldn't have be the only teams of heroes. That's like saying that only The Avengers, X-Men, & Fantastic 4 can be the only teams in Marvel.

Eggman has more or less control over half the planet. With there being reigonal Egg Armies, it only makes sense to have a regional team of freedom fighters to fight them. Unless you have 1 really powerful character that can destroy them in an instant, & so far, I don't see any characters fitting that description...unless Mighty counts.
NxtWaltDisney
BumbleClan

Postby Meliden » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:15 pm

Pre-reboot, Freedom Fighter teams were often there for the sake of padding out the numbers and weren't distinctive outside of "yeah, there's this group, they're here". The games can get away with more teams because the individual personalities are stronger and can work outside said teams, while the comic has to be more careful since these secondary/tertiary characters don't get as much time to define themselves.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby The KKM » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:19 pm

Pretty much. It's not been long enough to dispel the fears of "oh god here's ANOTHER Freedom Fighter team", although credit be given, they've been kinda trying to avoid that so far.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby The Walking Hedgehog » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:20 pm

I have no idea why everyone's mentioning Conquering Storm, but WOW LOOK AT DULCY! Her new look is amazing! Glad to she's she's an anthro this time and not just a mount for Sonic and the rest of the FF. Can't wait for this one! :D
The Walking Hedgehog
BumbleFan

Postby Meliden » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:38 pm

theJcfreak wrote:but with the shoulder pads, megaman boots, horns, and plain lizard face it really feels like a dA fancharacter, not an official Sega design.

Eh? Her face is Vector's but heavily modified in the mouth, I'd say that was pretty far from the plain lizard face.

And I actually quite like the horns. They may seem a strange addition if only using Dulcy as a frame of reference, but the only dragon that exists in Sonic's World has small horns like that so it gives her a bit of congruency with established game elements.

Spoiler: show
Also I'm totally hoping for her to have one of said SA2 dragons as a familiar or something.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby theJcfreak » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:46 pm

My issue is less with, "Bah look at all these TEAMS so ANNOYING!" and more, "Look at all these places and even characters that are only unique because they have a team/egg boss dynamic". It always feel really copy/pasted off the main FF team dynamic and we had enough of all that in the pre-reboot universe. Plus I want all these neat places and regions to be noticeable for more than just having an ice-themed Egg Boss or water-themed not-Sonic or yet another team of players ready to fight Eggman just like Sonic does. Characters like Honey, Relic and Dr. Ellidy are great I'll admit, they feel unique and aren't just based off pre-existing characters.

Penguin God wrote:Dulcy looks like a memorable character while being very different from before. And as much as it pains to me to say it, Dulcy is the one character who deserves a Freedom Fighter team. She was a Freedom Fighter in SataM, she was a Freedom Fighter in the comics. She's been kicked off the main team, but she still deserves to be considered more than just a tertiary citizen like most. Giving her her own team to take care of helps that out and since it's in Chun-Nan, we don't run into the issue where a region is defined by a poorly organized FF team and nothing else.

Yeah, I can understand that I guess. We'll see, I mean at this point all we've got is a cover and a two sentence solicit. But hey, I am looking forward to seeing Chun-Nan in the book finally. It should be visually distinct enough that it won't be remembered just for a team of FFs.
theJcfreak
BumbleChosen

Postby FancyFool » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:47 pm

My inner nerd is annoyed that Dulcy is yet another Western influenced, fire-breathing dragon living within an Eastern setting but I guess things like that can't be helped. That aside, I really like this redesign of Dulcy!

The Battle Bird Armada and Conquering Storm are back! YES! Nice to see the rest (or most) of the Egg Bosses and their designs as well. Akhult got one heck of a redesign and one that I think is the most interesting and thus he's all the better for it. I also like that Squid Egg Boss! I always wondered how a Cephalopod Mobian would be handled.

Hm, I wonder who that guy in background at the top-right supposed to be? Another Egg Boss?
FancyFool
BumbleFan

Postby The KKM » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:52 pm

Meliden wrote:
theJcfreak wrote:but with the shoulder pads, megaman boots, horns, and plain lizard face it really feels like a dA fancharacter, not an official Sega design.

Eh? Her face is Vector's but heavily modified in the mouth, I'd say that was pretty far from the plain lizard face.

I think he's feeling that more in the sense of her not having a defined muzzle, hence giving her face a plainer look.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby jm0364 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:10 pm

I know I have to wait, but part of me REALLY wants to know the name of the Squid kid (no pun intended) in the bottom left corner of SU#84.

Also might I add, SHE'S TOO CUTE! XD
jm0364
BumbleCitizen

Postby theJcfreak » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:13 pm

The KKM wrote:
Meliden wrote:

I think he's feeling that more in the sense of her not having a defined muzzle, hence giving her face a plainer look.

Also I don't feel a dragon muzzle shouldn't be based off a crocodile muzzle, and if we are using Asian dragon designs, there should be something more definite pulled from that.
theJcfreak
BumbleChosen

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius