StH#281/SU#84/SCS Covers and Solicits

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: StH#281/SU#84/SCS Covers and Solicits

Postby Shadowclaw98 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:47 pm

Battlebird Armada was an affiliate to the Eggman Empire in the old world

I know, but I remember reading that Battle Kukku was meant to be the Grandmaster of a place called...the Land of Million Lights I believe it was called. Pretty certain it's in the bonus pages of the Tails Adventure graphic novel
Shadowclaw98
BumbleNewbie

Postby Damo » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:53 pm

Some of the other designs are nice, but Dulcy being redesigned as a small biped is a huge letdown. Why anyone would turn down a chance to put a proper dragon in anything is beyond me.
Last edited by Damo on Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damo
BumbleKnight

Postby theJcfreak » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:56 pm

Man these covers are just one surprise after another. January's gonna be a great month! Dulcy's looking pretty good, her redesign's pretty neat and the outfit's nice. I'm glad she looks like a Sonic character now and not a generic cartoon dragon. And gone with the nose ring! That's good! She seems to be smaller though like the rest of the cast. Not sure if that's good or bad, was hoping for an actual dragon-sized Dulcy. I suppose as long as she's still taller than most of the main cast it's alright, we'll have to see more. Also interesting to hear she's leading a team. Are they all dragons too? Looking forward to seeing them.

And good gosh oh golly I'm getting a nosebleed from Diana Skelly's variant cover. I'm actually wanting to buy a variant cover for the first time in forever, so I guess her art got the job done. But it's just so gorgeous, look at all that character and love put into everyone. And the ghost girl! It's great to see her around and I'm wondering how she's going to be used. Is she going to be one of the key guardians?

And then Sonic Universe, oh boy. We've got Conquering Storm, Battlebirds, and Akhlut all returning. Akhlut's redesign is strange, he reminds me of the shark-alien Capt. Gantu from Lilo & Stitch now instead of an actual orca. Eh? Weird. I guess we're trying to make everyone anthropomorphic now. Conquering Storm's redesign is interesting because she looks just like Nicole now except evil with an Asian cone hat. Maybe that's just the cover though, I guess we'll see what she looks like in the book. I guess the Four Houses aren't around any more so she just straight up works for Eggman? Also I want to see more of that squid girl, squids are cool and she seems to have a beak which is a nice touch. The new yellow guy looks okay I guess. Some sort of Pikachu bot I dunno. And who's that big glowy guy in the back?

SU variant's kinda eh, Wells' art feels weird here. Eggman looks great but the sub-bosses are weirdly off-model in places. What's going on with Cassia and Rotor's dad whose name I don't recall? What is Cassia even doing with her hands I thought this was a kids' book here.

But yeah, hype for new characters and returning old ones. Don't let me down Archie!
theJcfreak
BumbleChosen

Postby Xeric » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:02 pm

I take it the Battlebirds have kept their pre-reboot designs.. That's very disappointing. Not too keen on Dulcy's redesign either.. I was hoping she'd keep her size. Now she just seems like a generic mobian. I mean, It doesn't even look like Dulcy anymore. Where's her nose ring gone? :/

Diana Skelly's redesign.

Evan Stanley's touch up of above design.

THESE are Dulcy. She should look similar to this. Even if it was using the body, with the clothing they've given her on top.
Xeric
BumbleKnight

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:03 pm

Awesome, Dulcy looks like me! =D

Well, a female me. And better-drawn.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Meliden » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:08 pm

The KKM wrote:
Meliden, cliffnoting the latest podcast wrote:Old design returns - New designs are there for a reason, make them look like Sonic characters and not generic furry character, no basically.

heh HAH heh he heh

Uh, in context, that question was referring to the Freedom Fighters, so they looked more like Sonic characters than the designs on SatAM. That's why my cliffnotes alone are just a prompt and everyone should listen to it for themselves for full understanding.

theJcfreak wrote:SU variant's kinda eh, Wells' art feels weird here. Eggman looks great but the sub-bosses are weirdly off-model in places. What's going on with Cassia and Rotor's dad whose name I don't recall? What is Cassia even doing with her hands I thought this was a kids' book here.

There's only Clove on that cover, and I think she's adjusting her cuffs, which is a pretty standard stoic character behaviour.
Last edited by Meliden on Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Meliden » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:10 pm

Ah whoops forgot to consolidate the quotes into one post. I'm just too eager. :/
Last edited by Meliden on Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Vampfox » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:11 pm

Conquering Storm is back awesome!!!!!! :D
And Dulcy looks a lot better design wise anyway. Hopefully she'll be interesting personality wise.
Vampfox
BumbleCult

Postby The KKM » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:11 pm

Meliden wrote:Uh, in context, that question was referring to the Freedom Fighters, so they looked more like Sonic characters than the designs on SatAM. That's why my cliffnotes alone are just a prompt and everyone should listen to it for themselves for full understanding.

Oh I get that, I just loved the contrast between stated intention and the effective results in the comic- for all the rules and ideas of "no the fish now have to have anthro bodies" etc, not only are some of them misguided but then the individual artists are always given a ton of leeway on the non-SEGA characters, which they'll often use to drag things back to "furrydom".

Or put another way, "get model sheets and design rules please"
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Mikail » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:18 pm

Damo wrote:Some of the other designs are nice, but Dulcy being redesigned as a small biped is a huge letdown. Why anyone would turn down a chance to put a proper dragon in anything is beyond me.

I think that's just a perspective thing. To me, it looks like she's comparable size to Silver sonic.
Mikail
BumbleNoble

Postby Meliden » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:19 pm

She may not be massive, but she does look very tall at least.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Kureejii Lea » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:23 pm

Damo wrote:Some of the other designs are nice, but Dulcy being redesigned as a small biped is a huge letdown.

She's not small, and she was always bipedal.
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby TurboTailz » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:23 pm

Nice! two old returning characters resurfacing the comic :).

Meliden wrote:
Meliden, cliffnoting the latest podcast wrote:Old design returns - New designs are there for a reason, make them look like Sonic characters and not generic furry character, no basically.
Uh, in context, that question was referring to the Freedom Fighters, so they looked more like Sonic characters than the designs on SatAM. That's why my cliffnotes alone are just a prompt and everyone should listen to it for themselves for full understanding.

Meh =/. I don't see the point if it's not that effective to the comic. I'd like to see variety of artist styles within the comic to keep it diverse.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby theJcfreak » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:26 pm

Fanboy mode off for a second.

Why is Dulcy being introduced with a team? I've made critique of this elsewhere but do we really have to introduce every new character, new place, newly redesigned old character with, "Oh look they're freedom fighters too and they all fight together to kick Eggman's butt!" Feh. I want to see the other characters in Chun-nan but I'm disappointed that it looks like it's going to be more freedom fighter nonsense. Where's the cool loners, the other factions, the families, etc etc. Maybe it won't be FF stuff, I don't know. It is hard to judge a whole story by a two sentence synopsis after all.

Xeric wrote:I take it the Battlebirds have kept their pre-reboot designs.. That's very disappointing. Not too keen on Dulcy's redesign either.. I was hoping she'd keep her size. Now she just seems like a generic mobian. I mean, It doesn't even look like Dulcy anymore. Where's her nose ring gone?

I'm fine with her nose ring being gone and her getting horns honestly, as it seems like she's based more off the Asian dragon designs than the standard European one. Her size is something I was hoping they wouldn't change, how cool would it be to just have an actual dragon-sized character stomping around right? I'd be fine with this if Dulcy was modeled after Chinese dragon designs, maybe sprinkle some dragon art around Chun-nan especially with those big long dragon roads and all. It could be nice and cohesive. But then...

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Awesome, Dulcy looks like me! =D

Well, a female me. And better-drawn.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

I'm confused now because it looks like Dulcy was modeled more after a 2000s fancharacter design? And I'm not saying yours personally LBD, I would think Ian isn't trying to sneak in friends' fancharacters and all. But new Dulcy gives off that vibe that she's drawn from hazily remembered deviantArt fancharacters from yesteryear, not a modern design. Sure, she looks more Sonic-y than before, where she was just a cartoon dragon with nothing interesting visually aside from being big. Now she's got the horns and outfit but eh. Actual artists could probably point out what I mean better than I could, but with the shoulder pads, megaman boots, horns, and plain lizard face it really feels like a dA fancharacter, not an official Sega design.
theJcfreak
BumbleChosen

Postby QuantamEdge » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:27 pm

Meliden wrote:And nobody's discussed moley guy over on the right there. He's definitely not been mentioned for any stories so far so he's a mystery. Maybe he's actually a Tasmanian Tiger and thus the Egg Boss for Sonic-Australia.

Nor Squidgirl, but she's more clearly the Egg Boss of the Southern seas given that Ian divided the ocean between North and South, and I think Akhlut was Northern.

Edit: Okay, quoting the list from the last solicit topic, but bold is additional stuff where necessary

Akhlut - Northern Oceans
Axel - Efrika
Clove - Northamera
Mordred - Eurish
Nephthys - Midesta
Thunderbolt - Soumerca
Tundra - Artika
[Bride of???] Conquering Storm - Yurashia
That guy off on the right maybe I dunno - Tralius
Squidgirl - Southern Oceans
??? - ???
??? - ???

Ones who may or may not be Egg Bosses at all - Kukku

I think you're pretty spot on there. Now you've also got me hopeful for a thylacine character. My most favourite animal. If he is, then I'd love to see just a tiny Ty reference somewhere.
QuantamEdge
BumbleKnight

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius