What happened to Steven Butler?

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

What happened to Steven Butler?

Postby Vampfox » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:13 pm

Does anyone know if Steven Butler still works for Archie? It's been ages since he's done a Sonic story, and I miss seeing his art.
Vampfox
BumbleCult

Re: What happened to Steven Butler?

Postby TheFatPanda » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:14 pm

I take it you hadn't been reading Sonic Boom?

He drew issue 5.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby ChaosJam » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:19 pm

TheFatPanda wrote:I take it you hadn't been reading Sonic Boom?

He drew issue 5.

A Sonic comic with a goofy, enjoyable Eggman? I seriously doubt Vamp has picked it up. :roll:
ChaosJam
BumbleNoble

Postby Vampfox » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:22 pm

ChaosJam wrote:A Sonic comic with a goofy, enjoyable Eggman? I seriously doubt Vamp has picked it up. :roll:

Ha! you know me to well. :(hearty laughter):
Vampfox
BumbleCult

Postby ChaosJam » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:23 pm

Vampfox wrote:
ChaosJam wrote:A Sonic comic with a goofy, enjoyable Eggman? I seriously doubt Vamp has picked it up. :roll:

Ha! you know me to well. :(hearty laughter):

That I do. :wink:
ChaosJam
BumbleNoble

Postby Meliden » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:25 pm

Maybe a quick Google search will provide more insight into his recent shenanigans.

"Steven Butler is an actor and writer from London. He divides his time between singing naked and writing children's books."

It did not. Let me try and tweak my search.

Ah, this might be a lead. And if it's the right guy, he's been busy with other commissions recently.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:55 pm

Meliden wrote:Maybe a quick Google search will provide more insight into his recent shenanigans.

"Steven Butler is an actor and writer from London. He divides his time between singing naked and writing children's books."

This is the best thing I've seen on this site in a while. :(hearty laughter):
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Mikail » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:55 pm

I figured he may have been doing less with the comics because people complained about his art style. Specifically how he draws the female characters. Granted, I had nothing to prove this thought, it's just one that I had.
Mikail
BumbleNoble

Postby GentlemanX » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:03 pm

I miss Butler. His work felt more comic book inspired than a lot of the other artists, but I thought it was a solid individual style to utilize on occasion. Boom does prove he's still here in some capacity, so I hope he doesn't completely disappear from Archie's pool of artists. They really have been assembling a nice variety to pick from.
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

Postby TurboTailz » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:07 pm

Mikail wrote:I figured he may have been doing less with the comics because people complained about his art style. Specifically how he draws the female characters. Granted, I had nothing to prove this thought, it's just one that I had.

Hahaha probably, but it's either that or he's on other projects while new artists take a bite at the Sonic comics. I rarely focus on the artwork of any artists unless it's truly that bad like the 2nd arc of World's Unite or some other within the dark times in Sonic comics.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:30 am

I miss him too. Goofy stories work well with Skelly but serious stories really worked well with more realistic Butler. I loved about him was how much detailed he put. Remember his remix of "Nagus Games"?
(One thing I didn't like was the he added a facial hair on some characters like Muttski, Larry or even Wolf Pack. That really looked stupid).
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby PC the Hedgehog » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:35 am

I presume we don't see much of him for the same reason we don't see much of Spaz: too busy with other work.

Still, he's worked on the book on and off for nearly 20 years (!) now. I bet we'll see him pop up again at some point.
PC the Hedgehog
BumbleNoble

Postby Sam Z.G. » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:23 pm

He´s still doing commercial work, but no Sonic:
https://www.facebook.com/Steven-Butler- ... 514741400/
Sam Z.G.
BumbleFan

Postby Ryannumber1gamer » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:40 pm

Mikail wrote:I figured he may have been doing less with the comics because people complained about his art style. Specifically how he draws the female characters. Granted, I had nothing to prove this thought, it's just one that I had.

Eh, I thought he drew female characters fine, although I really don't like his Lupe design to be honest.
Ryannumber1gamer
BumbleNoble

Postby FritzyBeat » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:08 am

MetalSkulkBane wrote:I miss him too. Goofy stories work well with Skelly but serious stories really worked well with more realistic Butler. I loved about him was how much detailed he put. Remember his remix of "Nagus Games"?
(One thing I didn't like was the he added a facial hair on some characters like Muttski, Larry or even Wolf Pack. That really looked stupid).

Naugus games was incredible~ X3

To be honest, I think I always preferred his older Archie work to the newer stuff, but ONLY because he kinda got a little wacky with character sizes and anatomy later on XP (Lupe should not have been like, three feet taller than Sonic X'D) But aside from that, his stuff is always VERY impressively detailed, and always had some great expression, especially with Sonic =) I always enjoyed it ^_^

It's insane that he's been with us for so long. I think he first showed up around the chase for Naugus arc back around issues 55-65 or so. What a trooper =D
FritzyBeat
BumbleClan

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius