Not reaching the goal ring...

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Not reaching the goal ring...

Postby Toby » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:48 pm

That's weird. I seem to remember him acting quite childish and goofy in the first game. Fleeing from Sonic in Labyrinth Zone because he wasn't ready yet, giggling as he sent Sonic falling to Scrap Brain Act 3. Throwing a colossal temper tantrum when you collect the emeralds.
Toby
BumbleNoble

Postby theJcfreak » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:13 pm

Vampfox wrote:
Penguin God wrote:It's a kids' action/adventure story about Sonic the Hedgehog, super fast blue hedgehog who gets into scraps with Dr. Eggman, mad scientist manchild. That's the thesis statement. It's a serialized ongoing adventure book, of course it's not always going to be some steady march towards a single goal. It never did.

Just because it's a comic about a blue hedgehog who battles an egg shaped mad scientist doesn't mean that it can't deal with more mature themes.

What does that have to do with the fact that an ongoing serial comic doesn't have a singular thesis statement like other forms of print media might have? Being a different form of media doesn't have any bearing on whether the comic is more or less mature in theming.
theJcfreak
BumbleChosen

Postby BlazeHeatnix » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:14 pm

That is the uninteresting Japanese Canon. The far superior early American Canon, the one that made Sonic popular at all in the first place, where Eggman is an actually competent villain while still having eccentrics to him, is what he should be. Just because it's not what Sonic Team originally intended doesn't magically make it less interesting.
BlazeHeatnix
BumbleCitizen

Postby theJcfreak » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:22 pm

BlazeHeatnix wrote:That is the uninteresting Japanese Canon. The far superior early American Canon, the one that made Sonic popular at all in the first place, where Eggman is an actually competent villain while still having eccentrics to him, is what he should be. Just because it's not what Sonic Team originally intended doesn't magically make it less interesting.

The far superior early American Canon, the one that made Sonic popular at all in the first place

far superior

made Sonic popular at all in the first place

theJcfreak
BumbleChosen

Postby BlazeHeatnix » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:31 pm

Uh, yeah. Sonic was successful in America because of the changes SoA did.
BlazeHeatnix
BumbleCitizen

Postby Penguin God » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:42 pm

Sonic was popular because the games are platforming masterpieces and the marketing was way more aggressive than anybody else. It was even more popular in Europe.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Meliden » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:51 pm

And when people I randomly encounter in shops wax nostalgic about Sonic in terms of story, I've more often heard about their memories with Sonic the Comic than anything SoA wrote in the game manuals.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby DudestofGuys » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:57 pm

BlazeHeatnix wrote:The far superior early American Canon, the one that made Sonic popular at all in the first place, where Eggman is an actually competent villain while still having eccentrics to him, is what he should be.

the one that made Sonic popular at all in the first place

It did?
Dang, I always thought Sonic was popular because kids like video games and Sonic is a heavily advertised property. Then again, looking back, Princess Sally's inclusion in Sonic CD WAS the driving force behind the game's popularity.

Spoiler: show
These discussions always go down the same. I don't think I'll ever understand why people insist Robotnik was ever a serious character when the only adaptation to take him mostly seriously aired concurrent to a more well known show where he was a slapstick nincompoop, both comics introduced him as a world conquering manchild who loved nothing more than being cartoonishly evil, and he's never eclipsed 6-10 demographic Saturday morning cartoon villain gravity or depth.

Nobody even really acknowledges there's only like a dozen stories in the comic's history where Robotnik is both prominent AND taken seriously or that there weren't even stories that approached treating him as anything but a bumbling manchild until two years into the series...or that those stories were all terrible. I get where people are coming from and there's nothing wrong with wanting more drama or serious moments, but saying Eggman is or was a serious character is like saying the same of Sonic. Regardless of how they're written, at their core these characters are goofy, whimsical, fantastic and imaginative. They can be taken seriously, but they, as characters, aren't serious. If they were, they'd lose what defines them.
DudestofGuys
BumbleFan

Postby theJcfreak » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:12 pm

BlazeHeatnix wrote:Uh, yeah. Sonic was successful in America because of the changes SoA did.

This is vastly different from the blanket statement, "far superior early American Canon the one that made Sonic popular at all in the first place," where it sounds like you're ignoring all the novels and comics from Europe and the manga and arcade games from Japan and how each branch of Sega made their own changes to fit their locales where they were arguably far more successful than anything SoA did with the franchise. And even if we say that Sonic was successful in the US only due to the localization changes made by SoA, it's still an iffy statement to make since we have nothing to compare it to. It's not like most of us in the states ever got to see the Sonic stuff made outside of the states until pretty recently, so who knows how it could have all went down?
theJcfreak
BumbleChosen

Postby The KKM » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:19 pm

BlazeHeatnix wrote:That is the uninteresting Japanese Canon. The far superior early American Canon, the one that made Sonic popular at all in the first place, where Eggman is an actually competent villain while still having eccentrics to him, is what he should be. Just because it's not what Sonic Team originally intended doesn't magically make it less interesting.

Since you're having fun posting and responding with incendiary posts that have literally nothing to do with what was posted, may I ask why of all Mavericks available to choose your name from you chose one from the second worst X game? Is that the point, or do you just happen to really like Blaze Heatnix?
Last edited by The KKM on Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Vampfox » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:31 pm

DudestofGuys wrote:These discussions always go down the same. I don't think I'll ever understand why people insist Robotnik was ever a serious character when the only adaptation to take him mostly seriously aired concurrent to a more well known show where he was a slapstick nincompoop

I wouldn't say that AOSTH is more well known then Satam. Personally I think that if it wasn't for the Pingas meme AOSTH would have been forgotten.

It's clear that back in the day Satam was way more popular then AOSTH, and probably still is.

"A few months after we launched the comic book, Sonic also made his debut as an animated TV character. In fact, it was perhaps the first time in animation history that two separate shows were simultaneously produced featuring the same character. “The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog” took a freewheeling slapstick approach to the characters and was seen across the nation in daily syndication. Meanwhile, the ABC-TV network checked in with a Saturday morning version simply called “Sonic the Hedgehog.” This series was filled with pure, slam-band adventure and intrigue—and thoughtful characterization. In the beginning, Sega instructed our editorial team to reflect the art and story styles of the syndicated series, but it soon became apparent from fan reaction that the Saturday morning series was the one striking a nerve. The comic soon followed suit with a mix of the two styles, but a heavier emphasis on the dramatic."

"As the comic series and the animated shows were simultaneously developed, the tight, advanced scheduling of the comic industry kept us from keeping up with last-minute changes made to the shows. This resulted in Sally being printed in various color schemes that didn't match her TV counterpart as well as Rotor being referred to as Boomer."

-Paul Castiglia, former editor of Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog comics

Source: http://www.saturdaymorningsonic.com/fea ... ontinuity/
Vampfox
BumbleCult

Postby Meliden » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:35 pm

That definitely wasn't the case in Europe, AoStH is far more well remembered there. And I wouldn't be surprised if AoStH was the one that was more remembered over the years in America as well. SatAM was seen as the cool thing a the time in NA, but it's AoStH that sticks in the mind and would likely last with fans and non-fans alike.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Vampfox » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:40 pm

Meliden wrote:That definitely wasn't the case in Europe, AoStH is far more well remembered there. And I wouldn't be surprised if AoStH was the one that was more remembered over the years in America as well. SatAM was seen as the cool thing a the time in NA, but it's AoStH that sticks in the mind and would likely last with fans and non-fans alike.

Maybe but then tell me why does Satam have two fan sites(Saturday Morning Sonic and FUS)where as AOSTH has zero fan sites?
Vampfox
BumbleCult

Postby DudestofGuys » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:47 pm

A SatAM fansite has quotes supporting the claim that SatAM was more influential? Color me shocked.

Putting aside my pre-existing disdain towards Paul Castiglia for a moment, the interpretation of an editor who was barely involved with the series when going through fanmail from kids who thought the comic was supposed to be part of SatAM doesn't hold as much weight as syndication history, pop culture relevance and merchandising in my eyes. I could be wrong, but AoSTH seems to generally be the more well remembered show while the concepts that bled from SatAM into the comic's are even more well known due to the length of the comics' publication history.

Vampfox wrote:Maybe but then tell me why does Satam have two fan sites(Saturday Morning Sonic and FUS)where as AOSTH has zero fan sites?

The same reason Power Rangers has an exhaustive wiki: the illusion of depth and continuity attracts diehards.
DudestofGuys
BumbleFan

Postby Adamis » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:53 pm

The amount of fansites does not prove the quality of any product. And there's more than zero fansites about AoStH :)

I can confirm that in France and Belgium, AoStH is still more popular than SatAM.
Adamis
BumbleNoble

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius