Not reaching the goal ring...

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Not reaching the goal ring...

Postby GentlemanX » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:59 pm

I hate discussing SatAM and AOSTH in the current fandom atmosphere; one is clearly preferred over the other and it all goes back to individual tastes and preferences as to what they want Sonic to be. The same is true of the American vs. European vs. Japanese continuity stuff - you like what you like and don't like what you don't. I like SatAM more than AOSTH, I also happen to like both of them more than Boom and Underground while liking them both less than Sonic X (both the Japanese and the dub, though I like the Japanese version more). There is no right or wrong to this. AOSTH is more memorable to some people. SatAM is more memorable to other people. I like SONIC. Even what I consider the weakest interpretations of the character have some merit to me because I like the franchise in general. If given control of the franchise, what I'd try my best to do is cater to each of the segments of the fandom at large when given the chance. Boom is telling simple stories? Better make sure the comic is telling some more complex ones. We going to release a handheld game where only Sonic's playable? Then I'll make sure the next console release has more characters. That's how you manage a multimedia franchise with a passionate but divided fanbase. Mario gets this; you still see Mario 3D platformers, Mario 3D sidescrollers, Mario Karts, Mario Tennises, Mario RPGs, etc. Heck, they even bring back previously retired characters like the Koopalings just because they know some of their fans will appreciate it. If you're going to compare Sonic to Mario, because to be honest it both makes sense and doesn't at the same time; but that's another topic, compare how Nintendo manages their fandom and how Sega manages theirs. You might be surprised at the differences you'll find.

On the topic of the comic, I do hope we get to more story focused stories soon. The Shattered World Arc has been doing nothing but world building for two years now and still feels empty. I hope afterwards we spend some time developing new ideas instead of just regurgitating the same premise over and over again.
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

Postby akessel92 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:17 am

GentlemanX wrote:On the topic of the comic, I do hope we get to more story focused stories soon. The Shattered World Arc has been doing nothing but world building for two years now and still feels empty. I hope afterwards we spend some time developing new ideas instead of just regurgitating the same premise over and over again.

Which is go to person A and to get keys to place b. I mean come on. Where's the challenge? Where's the angst? That's why people liked the mecha Sally arc though it dragged but you got emotionally invested with the everything going on. I mean for a world crisis everybody treats it likes it's no big deal aside from the monsters at night. I hate comparing fanfics adaptations, but if you listened to the unleashing hope fanfic audio drama. You listen to angst you hear the characters challenges and struggles. And don't get me started on the dark Gaia monsters. I was expecting that in the comics instead of well travel to point a, save b from c and get the item D to save the world.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby Toby » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:44 am

Angst does not automatically make something good. On the contrary, it's usually awful.
Toby
BumbleNoble

Postby The KKM » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:54 am

Indeed, the angst in the Mecha Sally arc was awful and just made you feel like you were reading a wannabe Frank Miller story with furry animals for years on row. There's no need to go from one extreme to the other, you can get more interesting stories going on the comic without returning to that.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Mobotropolis » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:03 am

I agree that there was too much angst in the Mecha Sally Arch. There was also so much going on at once between the similar-to-what-we-have-now World Tour chasing Mecha Sally, Antoine being seriously injured, Bunnie running off, the Kingdom being thrown into Chaos by Nagus, and the formation of Secret Freedom and Team Freedom. So many characters were involved and so much was going on that it was difficult to get invested in the characters or events.

It would be nice to strike a middle ground. I would like to see some growth in the characters and development of the situation, but also like fun silly archs where not much of the consequence happens.

One thing I would like to see go away, however, is the long road to nowhere like Team Fighter's chase of Mecha Sally pre-reboot or the Gaia Key World Tour we're getting here. I don't think archs like this will add but padding to the story and will probably not be remembered fondly (if at all) years from now. Ten years out people will probably remember Team Fighters first being formed and stopping Mecha Sally, but not the steps between Point A and B. I imagine the same would happen when it comes to Shattered World Crisis. We'll remembered that the Shattered World was fixed by Light Gaia, but not really how we got from Point A to B because it was all filler and noise. Except maybe Champions.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:10 am

DudestofGuys wrote:
Vampfox wrote:Maybe but then tell me why does Satam have two fan sites(Saturday Morning Sonic and FUS)where as AOSTH has zero fan sites?

The same reason Power Rangers has an exhaustive wiki: the illusion of depth and continuity attracts diehards.

hahahaha daaaaang
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:25 am

Personally I prefer if "too much" is happening like during Mecha Sally than this stroll we're having now. Not counting Championship and Sonic Universes, I just don't feel like anything important is happening. Beat some badniks or gaia monsters, save the city, wreck a train, yada dada. Those are fine 'breather' stories, but I feel like we were holding exhaling for so long that our lungs will come out.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Penguin God » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:36 pm

Mecha Sally stalled for two years because King Naugus, Death Egg Hunt, Secret Freedom Fighters, Team Freedom, Babylon attacks and more was all way too much for the comic to focus on. My biggest worry with the ten page stories is indeed that there might not be enough to latch onto in any given issue, but if you really want a two year arc where not much happens? Between 225-250, there were a ton of issues that might as well have been skipped over with no real progress or even great entertainment whatsoever.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:44 pm

Penguin God wrote:but if you really want a two year arc where not much happens? Between 225-250, there were a ton of issues that might as well have been skipped over with no real progress or even great entertainment whatsoever.

In all due respect, I digress. After 230 only issue 232 was a lot of faffing about nothing and 237-240 Team Fighter parts felt like 'just capture her already', but overall every issue felt moved plot forward (I don't count 242). Some of pretty touching moments come from that period like Antoine's sacrifice or Max denying Nagus.

With Reboot I felt like this: 252 is a start with some random monster to kill. "Countdown to Chaos" parts 1-3 are just re introduction of Freedom Fighters (but since they aren't all that different it's not very exiting) while fighting some not challenging threats. With last part world Shatter and you will think that stuff get serious, but we suddenly have a fetch quests to finish. What "Damage Control" added? Why saving Pickle had to be a 2 parter? After that main plot boils to finding Chaos Emeralds and of course Werehog transformation. And that storyline still isn't finished!
On Flynn obvious defense I can say that he need to introduce bunch of new characters. Only problem is that I didn't enjoyed many of them that much. "Waves of change", everything after "Championship", for me those stories vary from just fine at best, boring at worst (stupid fishes).

You're welcome to disagree, but I found creation of Secret FF and Geoffrey's personal struggle way more exciting then heroes sulking about their previous memories and then completely ignoring that plotline.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Meliden » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:54 pm

The Secret Freedom Fighters felt so forced in importance, it made me angry at the time.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Mobotropolis » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:24 pm

I liked some of the individual characters on Secret Freedom, but did not think " Hey, let's make a team and kick him out! " was the right way to handle a delicate political situation.

Even though Nagus was undoubtedly evil and deserved whatever was going to happen it didn't really address the concerns of the people that lead to him coming into power in the first place. There seemed to be a growing trust issue between the citizens, Royal Family, and Freedom Fighters. I don't think having the ousted King out the current King as a secret agent addresses those trust issues -- but could imagine that things would've gone more or less back to normal after Nagus got the inevitable boot until it was time for it to become a plot point again.

The way I see it, Secret Freedom became a thing so Silver could have a Team like Sonic, Shadow, and Scourge before him. To that I would argue that none of the aforementioned actually need a team. They're strong enough characters to stand on their own. I guess in a sense that framing other characters around more popular ones would bolster them somewhat -- but pre-reboot it was getting to the point of being ridiculous.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby Specs64z » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:38 pm

I think not enough has happened in the main comic yet. Universe, however, hasn't suffered much post-reboot IMO. Nicole's backstory finally makes sense, and the Eclipse arc definitely had a driving purpose to carry things along. The main story doesn't quite have that for me. Although it is very different from the game, I still feel like I'm watching Unleashed in a book form (Not a huge fan of that games plot either, partially due to the wii presenting the plot to me with expositionally overloaded text boxes and the same still images over amd over. Good for a comic book. Not for a 2007 major console release for one of the biggest franchises of all time that is known for memorable cutscens. Anyway, back to the post...). I know what happens: World is fixed, Dark Gaia is killed, etc. and the book is dragging it's feet getting to that point. I feel like I've seen "introduce character x, go here, get this, trash local baddie" just reworded differently every time, and it is growing wearisome. Once that's out of the way, and there's a decently sized world to work with, I believe things will start to look up. But for now, I don't care much for shattered world. Character interactions also don't feel as witty, emotional, or meaningful (not to say these moments are non-existant. just fewer and farther between than I would like). The arcs so far have mostly consisted of: Egg boss/robot- I will destroy you, inferior creatures! Sonic and co- nuh-uh 'cause we're Sonic heroes!!! Less of the drawn out globe-trotting, slightly faster world building, and more Dr. Eggman vs. Sonic.
Specs64z
BumbleFan

Previous

Return to This Side of Mobius