Sonic's 25th Could Possibly Feature Other Properties?

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Sonic's 25th Could Possibly Feature Other Properties?

Postby BlazeHeatnix » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:27 am

Sega not releasing games annually anymore has nothing to do with them listening to fans. They just realized, finally, that quality over quantity is what keeps your business alive.
BlazeHeatnix
BumbleCitizen

Postby squeakyboots13 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:07 pm

2011: Generations
2012: All-Stars Racing Transformed
2013: Lost World
2014: Rise of Lyric

This is the only year where we haven't gotten a new game. No, they aren't all main series games but you can't say that we haven't been getting anything at all and we are obviously getting a new main series game of some sort next year.

Edit: Fire and Ice would've been the 2015 game if it hadn't been delayed.
squeakyboots13
BumbleCult

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:54 pm

didn't we technically get runners and dash 2 tonight?
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby BlazeHeatnix » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:06 pm

All-Stars Racing and Boom were outsourced to other devs. We haven't had a game developed by Sonic Team since 2013. Before that, it was unprecedented. We got a brand new Sonic platforming game, for consoles, made by Sonic Team, every year. Even 2012 had Sonic 4 E2, which even though most of the work was Dimps, Sonic Team still had a hand in development.

And yeah, Sonic Team made Sonic Runners. But that barely counts. It had next to no promotion or hype, and ended up being a cheap mobile endless runner.
BlazeHeatnix
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:49 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:didn't we technically get runners and dash 2 tonight?

oh hey, Dash 2 finally got the full international release treatment. good to see that unlike Runners it actually friggin uses cloud storage so I still have all my characters and sprites that I got in the test market version
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby The KKM » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:08 pm

I suspect this year's release is just going to be Lost World PC, leaving whatever game they're making for the anniversary next year.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby The Swordsman » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:39 pm

The KKM wrote:
GentlemanX wrote:It doesn't feel long ago that we got a 3D platformer yearly. Sega must really be struggling.

>Release a game every year
"Stop rushing things! Give yourself time!"
>Release a game every three or four years, outsourcing other games to fill the gaps meanwhile
"What's wrong with you, did you run out of money"

I feel this might have been mitigated if SEGA had released a outsourced console (Sonic Runners doesn't count because its not a console game) game for mainline Sonic, for a while it looked like only Sonic Boom games were going to be made.
The Swordsman
BumbleCitizen

Location: Somewhere fighting the Eggman Empire for the United Federation.

Postby GentlemanX » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:05 pm

I consider a mainstream title to be a platformer for one of the consoles; i.e. what the main series has been since 1991. The titles I consider in that list are as follows.

1. Sonic the Hedgehog (1991)
2. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (1992)
3. Sonic the Hedgehog CD (1993)
4. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (1994)
5. Sonic & Knuckles (1994)
6. Knuckles' Chaotix (1995)
7. Sonic 3D Blast (1996)
8. Sonic Adventure (1998)
9. Sonic Adventure 2 (2001)
10. Sonic Heroes (2003)
11. Shadow the Hedgehog (2005)
12. Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
13. Sonic & the Secret Rings (2007)
14. Sonic Unleashed (2008)
15. Sonic & the Black Knight (2009)
16. Sonic Colors (2010)
17. Sonic Generations (2011)
18. Sonic Lost World (2013)

I'll grant I should probably count Rise of Lyric in 2014 since it's a 3D platformer, but it's not by Sonic Team and it's not part of the same series as far as Sega's concerned. I look at the gaps there, no game in 1997 - but Sonic X-treme was supposed to come out that year and Sonic Jam had Sonic World that year, and Sonic Team had released NiGHTS into Dreams the year before. No game in 1999 - but that was also the global release year of Sonic Adventure. No game in 2000 - granted. No game in 2002, though Sonic had just shifted over to Nintendo. No game in 2004 - granted, but SADX had been the major push for 2003 with Sonic Heroes releasing this year in many areas. No game in 2012 - I don't count Sonic 4 due to the production of it more mirroring the handheld releases than the major ones. 2014 - again, only RoL. 2015 - no game period outside of the mobile market.

All I'm saying is it seems obvious they've cut back, and financially speaking; especially coming off lukewarm sales for the past few games, it makes sense if that wasn't entirely for artistic reasons. I know Fire & Ice is being pushed off to ensure product quality, but that's after the last two Boom games bombed. I'm not trying to follow Sonic Team as a studio that is looking to improve the output of their products; I don't buy Sonic games anymore. I'm just commenting as a somewhat outside observer that sees a pattern that breaks from the previously long established status quo.
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

Postby Duck Army » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:58 pm

squeakyboots13 wrote:2011: Generations
2012: All-Stars Racing Transformed
2013: Lost World
2014: Rise of Lyric

This is the only year where we haven't gotten a new game. No, they aren't all main series games but you can't say that we haven't been getting anything at all and we are obviously getting a new main series game of some sort next year.

Edit: Fire and Ice would've been the 2015 game if it hadn't been delayed.

For one, Fire and Ice would have come out this year.
For two, we had Runners and Dash 2.
For three, SEGA had a major restructuring this year, so it would make sense for not much.
Overall, i think the reason for no games this year is because of the delay of Fire and Ice, realizing they need quality over quantity, and restructuring of Sega. We still had 2 mobile games, so it's not like we got nothing.
Don't get me wrong, it was a struggle, but there were more reasons to it.
Duck Army
BumbleFan

Previous

Return to This Side of Mobius