Will the other characters ever be playable again?

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Will the other characters ever be playable again?

Yes
18
69%
No
8
31%
 
Total votes : 26

Re: Will the other characters ever be playable again?

Postby FritzyBeat » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:54 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Nah, I wouldn't want the other guys to be as fast. Plus, Sonic has the boost. Aside from maybe Blaze or Shadow, that should be exclusive to him.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Though, in Sonic 2, Tails could certainly really motor when he stared spinning his tails.
I always liked the way they handled that idea in the Sonic OVA. It definetly felt like Tails was really fast (fast enough to keep up with Sonic) but when it came down to the wire, Sonic could still easily out-run anyone.
User avatar
FritzyBeat
BumbleClan
 
Posts: 3027
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Up in the cold cloudy night sky~

Re: Will the other characters ever be playable again?

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:21 am

Just offhand, I'd say something like Freedom Planet would be a really good way to handle it. They've each got different speeds and abilities going on, but each make traversing the same stages a unique experience.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
User avatar
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite
 
Posts: 10987
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:19 pm
Location: Balloon Fight Arena

Re: Will the other characters ever be playable again?

Postby TurboTailz » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:33 am

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Just offhand, I'd say something like Freedom Planet would be a really good way to handle it. They've each got different speeds and abilities going on, but each make traversing the same stages a unique experience.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"


I actually agree with this concept, plus the fact not being hit by enemies when you run into them.
User avatar
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble
 
Posts: 1437
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:33 am

Re: Will the other characters ever be playable again?

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:59 pm

TurboTailz wrote:
LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Just offhand, I'd say something like Freedom Planet would be a really good way to handle it. They've each got different speeds and abilities going on, but each make traversing the same stages a unique experience.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"


I actually agree with this concept, plus the fact not being hit by enemies when you run into them.


Yeah, I really hate passive damage. I mean, in some games it just kind of works, but...

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
User avatar
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite
 
Posts: 10987
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:19 pm
Location: Balloon Fight Arena

Re: Will the other characters ever be playable again?

Postby linebyline » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:13 pm

I don't know. While passive damage needs to not be the default for every game, I feel like it's been a part of the Sonic series long enough that there's no reason to change it. It would be like those games where you don't lose all your rings when you get hit: Still feels like a Sonic game, but sort of off somehow. Besides, part of the premise of Sonic is that he deals contact damage, at least while jumping.

I should probably go ahead and get Freedom Planet, though.
User avatar
linebyline
BumbleKnight
 
Posts: 927
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:02 am

Re: Will the other characters ever be playable again?

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:03 am

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Yeah, I really hate passive damage. I mean, in some games it just kind of works, but...
--LBD "Nytetrayn"


It depends from the game to the game. Can you imagine Mega Man without it?

But with Sonic it doesn't really matter since enemies are almost never a challenge, they something you spin dash into for points (and sometimes loses rings).
User avatar
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:02 am
Location: Poland

Re: Will the other characters ever be playable again?

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:39 pm

I think maybe that in games where life meters are a thing, you don't need it. But if it's a one-hit kill sort of game -- a Mario, a Sonic (pending power-ups/rings, of course), your basic arcade action stuff -- then collision damage is fine. After all, if a Goomba can't kill you by running into you, then what does it have?

So I'm fine with Freedom Planet not having it, and I'd even be okay with Mega Man not doing it. I mean, that's why most enemies have attacks. I think you should be able to touch a Met that's hiding in its helmet without taking damage, but if it dashes into you or shoots you (obvs), then yeah, you take damage.

Alternatively, and I'm not sure I've ever seen this done, I'm also fine with the idea that if they touch you for damage, they should take damage or knockback as well. ;P

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
User avatar
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite
 
Posts: 10987
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:19 pm
Location: Balloon Fight Arena

Re: Will the other characters ever be playable again?

Postby DaddlerTheDalek » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:38 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Just offhand, I'd say something like Freedom Planet would be a really good way to handle it. They've each got different speeds and abilities going on, but each make traversing the same stages a unique experience.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"


That could work for a new Sonic game.
User avatar
DaddlerTheDalek
BumbleKnight
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:22 pm
Location: NRW, Germany

Re: Will the other characters ever be playable again?

Postby Azul » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:30 pm

Village wrote:Sonics boost is iirc his chaos control abilty.


Since when?
User avatar
Azul
BumbleKnight
 
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:43 pm
Location: Somewhere, USA

Re: Will the other characters ever be playable again?

Postby Village » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:47 pm

Azul wrote:
Village wrote:Sonics boost is iirc his chaos control abilty.


Since when?


I think for a while now, the explanation for the boost was chaos control. Which is super interesting, that gives him chaos control abilities while not as nuanced as shadows for obvious reasons, are unique to his own. I personally would prefer it if chaos emeralds went away entirely.
Village
BumbleCitizen
 
Posts: 430
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:59 am

Re: Will the other characters ever be playable again?

Postby Azul » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:01 pm

Village wrote:
Azul wrote:
Village wrote:Sonics boost is iirc his chaos control abilty.


Since when?


I think for a while now, the explanation for the boost was chaos control. Which is super interesting, that gives him chaos control abilities while not as nuanced as shadows for obvious reasons, are unique to his own. I personally would prefer it if chaos emeralds went away entirely.


I'm gonna need some sources because I don't see why it can't be as simple as him running faster. I mean, that's his thing, why complicate it? And no, it wouldn't be unique to Sonic because Shadow's done the same thing in Generations. I'm also gonna disagree with your stance on the Chaos Emeralds. I think they're super neat and I love the concept.
User avatar
Azul
BumbleKnight
 
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:43 pm
Location: Somewhere, USA

Re: Will the other characters ever be playable again?

Postby Village » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:13 pm

Azul wrote:
Village wrote:
Azul wrote:
Village wrote:Sonics boost is iirc his chaos control abilty.


Since when?


I think for a while now, the explanation for the boost was chaos control. Which is super interesting, that gives him chaos control abilities while not as nuanced as shadows for obvious reasons, are unique to his own. I personally would prefer it if chaos emeralds went away entirely.


I'm gonna need some sources because I don't see why it can't be as simple as him running faster. I mean, that's his thing, why complicate it? And no, it wouldn't be unique to Sonic because Shadow's done the same thing in Generations. I'm also gonna disagree with your stance on the Chaos Emeralds. I think they're super neat and I love the concept.

To answer this in order
1) A read it on some sonic wiki's and a bunch of people have been passing around this knowledge as fact for a while. I kind of assumed it was true, if i'm wrong. By all means call me out on it.

2) Its not complicated. Sonic has different abilities than shadow, i have always liked that idea. Sonic is better than somethings shadow is and vice versa. Sonic uses chaos control to go faster, shadow uses chaos control to make you go slower. It matches their personalities too. Though shadow does more than that.

3)Eh, Yeah sure but that seemed more game play explanatory, like you weren't fighting like shadow, shadow, you fight a time displaced version with way less stuff. All the boss fights didn't exactly seem too cooked up in that game and can be written off as making the gameplay work. I mean they went out of their way to find a reason for shadow to fight you . Which was finding an older version of shadow, i wasn't expecting too much more from sega. I would be right because all the boss fights in that game are butt.

4) I don't like them, I think sonic boom in theory has the right idea. If you take the chaos emeralds away everyone is sort of more special They have to rely on their own talents.
Village
BumbleCitizen
 
Posts: 430
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:59 am

Re: Will the other characters ever be playable again?

Postby Azul » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:42 pm

Village wrote:
Azul wrote:
Village wrote:
Azul wrote:
Village wrote:Sonics boost is iirc his chaos control abilty.


Since when?


I think for a while now, the explanation for the boost was chaos control. Which is super interesting, that gives him chaos control abilities while not as nuanced as shadows for obvious reasons, are unique to his own. I personally would prefer it if chaos emeralds went away entirely.


I'm gonna need some sources because I don't see why it can't be as simple as him running faster. I mean, that's his thing, why complicate it? And no, it wouldn't be unique to Sonic because Shadow's done the same thing in Generations. I'm also gonna disagree with your stance on the Chaos Emeralds. I think they're super neat and I love the concept.

To answer this in order
1) A read it on some sonic wiki's and a bunch of people have been passing around this knowledge as fact for a while. I kind of assumed it was true, if i'm wrong. By all means call me out on it.

2) Its not complicated. Sonic has different abilities than shadow, i have always liked that idea. Sonic is better than somethings shadow is and vice versa. Sonic uses chaos control to go faster, shadow uses chaos control to make you go slower. It matches their personalities too. Though shadow does more than that.

3)Eh, Yeah sure but that seemed more game play explanatory, like you weren't fighting like shadow, shadow, you fight a time displaced version with way less stuff. All the boss fights didn't exactly seem too cooked up in that game and can be written off as making the gameplay work. I mean they went out of their way to find a reason for shadow to fight you . Which was finding an older version of shadow, i wasn't expecting too much more from sega. I would be right because all the boss fights in that game are butt.

4) I don't like them, I think sonic boom in theory has the right idea. If you take the chaos emeralds away everyone is sort of more special They have to rely on their own talents.


1) Just read the Sonic Wik article of Sonic Boost and there's absolutely no mention of Chaos Control. It's just Sonic running faster.
2) Complicated in the sense that it's entirely uneccesary to have him rely on CC to run faster when running fast is his main thing. And it'd be impossible to use CC to go faster because CC works by manipulating space and time. So you're saying Sonic slows down time to make himself seem faster relative to a target's perception. That's not the same as running super fast. In fact, it's not super speed at all. That is uncharacteristic conisdering Sonic prides himself on being the fastest thing alive.
3) I don't understand. Are you saying the only reason Shadow can use the super boost is purely because of a game mechanic and not because he can actually increase his speed?
4) That would only apply if anyone can use them. And if there were no emeralds, well there wouldn't be much of a series to begin with.
Last edited by Azul on Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Azul
BumbleKnight
 
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:43 pm
Location: Somewhere, USA

Re: Will the other characters ever be playable again?

Postby Village » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:47 pm

Azul wrote:1) Just read the Sonic Wik article of Sonic Boost and there's absolutely no mention of Chaos Control. It's just Sonic running faster.
2) Complicated in the sense that it's entirely uneccesary to have him rely on CC to run faster when running fast is his main thing. And it'd be impossible to use CC to go faster because CC works by manipulating space and time. So you're saying Sonic slows down time to make himself seem faster relative to a target's perception. That's not the same as running super fast. In fact, it's not super speed at all. That is uncharacteristic conisdering Sonic prides himself on being the fastest thing alive.
3)...What's this got to do with what we're talking about?
4) That would only apply if anyone can use them.

1) I'm sorry
2) Actually chaos control, can just be giving you power. The chaos emeralds give power to any living thing. Shadow has abilities he can just do with out choas emeralds. Why can't sonic. Woudn't be the first time you remember knuckles having thunder arrow?
3) what i mean is, i wouldn't take anything shadow did in that boss fight or a lot of things in that game as actuality more than trying to make the game work.
4) Anyone can use the chaos emeralds, they make everyone more powerful. Some people are get more powerful than others. But I think personal that plays against sonic, I always saw sonic as a sort of every man. He could run fast that was it, he was an underdog trying his best. I always found his super form to be a bit.. i dunno uncharacteristic.
Village
BumbleCitizen
 
Posts: 430
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:59 am

Re: Will the other characters ever be playable again?

Postby Azul » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:20 pm

Village wrote:1) I'm sorry
2) Actually chaos control, can just be giving you power. The chaos emeralds give power to any living thing. Shadow has abilities he can just do with out choas emeralds. Why can't sonic. Woudn't be the first time you remember knuckles having thunder arrow?
3) what i mean is, i wouldn't take anything shadow did in that boss fight or a lot of things in that game as actuality more than trying to make the game work.
4) Anyone can use the chaos emeralds, they make everyone more powerful. Some people are get more powerful than others. But I think personal that plays against sonic, I always saw sonic as a sort of every man. He could run fast that was it, he was an underdog trying his best. I always found his super form to be a bit.. i dunno uncharacteristic.

1) Mistakes happen, although this one is just "WHAAAAT."
2) Chaos Control is manipulation of space and time. Nothing more, nothing less. Using the Emeralds' power to amplify one's abilities is something else entirely different. These abilities you say Shadow can use without the Emeralds, what are they? Do you mean things Chaos Spear? Because those still rely on his connection to the Emeralds. He doesn't need to have one on hand but he can still draw on their power. And you're contradicting yourself. Sonic's abilities without the Emeralds are basically his move set. Sonic doesn't have the same connection the Emeralds as Shadow. Also, Thunder Arrow was just a gimmick move. The only time it's had a connection to the Emeralds was during the comics before the reboot.
3) I don't see what's so hard accepting Shadow, who's always been shown to travel at speeds rivaling Sonic's, is able to use the super boost too. Saying he isn't is saying he's slower than Blaze.
4) Remember that one time only 5 characters were able to tap into the power of the Emeralds? So far, no one character aside from Sonic,Chaos, Shadow, Gemrel and Silver has been shown or even hinted at being able to use the Emeralds to increase their own power. And Sonic is no underdog. He wins every time. He is the very opposite of an underdog. The Super Forms aid in fighting things that are too powerful for him in his normal form. I don't understand how you think a power up is uncharacteristic, espicially when it's been around for over 20 years.
User avatar
Azul
BumbleKnight
 
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:43 pm
Location: Somewhere, USA

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron