Will the other characters ever be playable again?

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Will the other characters ever be playable again?

Yes
69%
No
31%

Total votes : 26

Re: Will the other characters ever be playable again?

Postby Village » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:44 am

I think so

He has the litteral perfect moveset for a character action game. Like a good one,

I think you could do some work with that and it doesn't have to be expensive either. Platinum games could pop a mgr level one for cheap. Mgr is basically shadowth the game anyway.
Village
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mavrickindigo » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:11 am

A lot of people I talk to often said "just make the Werehog Knuckles.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby BlazeHeatnix » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:55 am

Said people probably haven't even played Unleashed if they thought the concept was the only thing wrong with it.
BlazeHeatnix
BumbleCitizen

Postby FancyFool » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:10 am

Mavrickindigo wrote:A lot of people I talk to often said "just make the Werehog Knuckles.

And in response, I would like to tell those people that wouldn't wouldn't fix a dang thing or change anything for the better in Unleashed. The only thing the Werehog and Knuckles have in common are being super strong and punching a lot, outside of that the two couldn't be anymore different. Knuckles can glide, climb up walls without assistance, dig underground, and spin dash, among other things the Werehog can't do. Meanwhile, the Werehog can stretch its arms to huge lengths, swing across gaps, has claws to slash enemies with in addition to the punching, and can form a protective barrier to guard himself, among other things Knuckles can't do. It's essentially comparing an apple to a banana: both are fruit but are completely different in all other areas.

If Knuckles had been used in place of the Werehog, the game would be fundamentally different in pretty much all areas: the "Night Levels" would have to be drastically changed to accommodate Knuckles's abilities and the story especially would need a major change since the Werehog is a direct result of the entire plot, developed Sonic's character a bit, and was part of the whole "duality" theme present in Unleashed (Light and dark, day and night, life/rebirth and death, sun and moon, Hedgehog and Werehog).

And let's just say that we keep the gameplay of the Night Levels the same, completely unchanged except the Werehog has been re-skinned into Knuckles: would that make those better? No. Not at all. The major and critical issue people had with the Night Levels wasn't that they were playing something as ridiculous as a "werewolf hedgehog" (and to the people who take issue with there being a werewolf hedgehog, need I point out all the similarly ridiculous and bizarre stuff in this franchise?) but the gameplay and how it didn't belong in the game, alongside being long and slow. Knuckles being playable instead of the Werehog would only transfer all the hate people have for the Night Levels onto Knuckles and very well could've gotten Knuckles as a character retired from the franchise because of the controversy generated by the Night Levels in addition to the vile stigma people already have against the Sonic cast, which was especially strong at the time of Unleashed due to Sonic 06 convincing everyone that the characters and the gameplay associated with them were what's wrong with the franchise.

Sorry for this rather irrelevant rant, I just really hate that argument.
FancyFool
BumbleFan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:40 am

When I personally say it should have been Knuckles, I mean at the concept stage. When someone first said at the board meeting "let's have Sonic turn into a different form so we can have a completely different gameplay experience?" I would have been the guy to say "Don't we already have a million characters we can choose from that can fit such a role?"

EDIT: That, of course, goes back to SEGA thinking "more than sonic" = "terrible" instead of thinking "trying to do too much in one game" = "terrible" when the latter is actually closer to the truth.

I mean, Lost World had only Sonic, but threw him into levels that had at least 10 different gimmicks in them. While not bad, it just shows SEGA has not addressed the root of the problem, and made a false association that it was the characters who were in those stages that were bad, not the stages themselves
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Penguin God » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:54 pm

If there's anything this thread has shown, it's that there isn't such an easy answer people like to think there is.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby SonicSoul » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:16 pm

Penguin God wrote:If there's anything this thread has shown, it's that there isn't such an easy answer people like to think there is.

Especially if you're doing it from a fan's perspective rather than a business one.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby Village » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:16 am

FancyFool wrote:
Mavrickindigo wrote:A lot of people I talk to often said "just make the Werehog Knuckles.

And in response, I would like to tell those people that wouldn't wouldn't fix a dang thing or change anything for the better in Unleashed.

They would have been playing with a character they like. Which is the important part and for many would have made a middling experience much more palatable.
Village
BumbleCitizen

Postby FancyFool » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:38 pm

Village wrote:
FancyFool wrote:

And in response, I would like to tell those people that wouldn't wouldn't fix a dang thing or change anything for the better in Unleashed.

They would have been playing with a character they like. Which is the important part and for many would have made a middling experience much more palatable.

Sorry but I doubt that would be the case. As said, if the gameplay of the Night Stages remained the same as they are right now but with Knuckles playable, it wouldn't matter to anyone because the gameplay would still be tedious and out of place in the game and I'd imagine a good chunk of the hate the Werehog received would be transferred to Knuckles due to the gameplay, especially since (as I said before) people were having a VERY negative attitude towards the other characters at the time and wouldn't tolerate a playable character that isn't Sonic, even if it was a fan-favorite like Knuckles or Tails.

Which brings me to this: even if Knuckles being used in place of the Werehog would be better for Unleashed, that thought would not have occurred to SEGA/Sonic Team. People at the time of Unleashed were demanding a "Sonic only" game and didn't want any of the other characters to be playable at all. Sadly, that was one of the few things SEGA/Sonic Team actually acknowledged and so there was no way they were going to let anyone other than Sonic be playable in Unleashed; no matter what, Sonic was going to be the only playable character in Unleashed and, as seen, SEGA/Sonic Team are willing to give him a different form if it allowed him be playable in any other style of gameplay they choose, even if said gameplay would theoretically suit any other character.
FancyFool
BumbleFan

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:46 pm

FancyFool wrote: the gameplay would still be tedious and out of place in the game and I'd imagine a good chunk of the hate the Werehog received would be transferred to Knuckles due to the gameplay

keep in mind, despite barely anyone liking the werehog gameplay, the werehog character still managed to gain some level of popularity
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby SonicSoul » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:01 pm

I quite agree with everything FancyFool has said. From a gameplay, character and story-perspective, it'd make no sense to just "switch Werehog for Knuckles for the sake of fanservice" and would've only given non-fans another excuse to hate other playable characters since at the time people were still burned over how bad 06' turned out and handled multiple character campaigns.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby FancyFool » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:38 pm

Mr.Unsmiley wrote:keep in mind, despite barely anyone liking the werehog gameplay, the werehog character still managed to gain some level of popularity

That is true. But that still doesn't stop the majority of people, both Sonic fans and non-fans, from hating the Werehog as a character and a concept for the gameplay alone, which is admittedly understandable since the Werehog was created for the sake of gameplay in the first place (specifically to lengthen the game and it most certainly does a good job of that to most people). Makes me wish SEGA/Sonic Team used a gameplay style for the Werehog that would actually work in a Sonic game instead of making it a longer, slower God of War game.

Of course, that still doesn't excuse those people for using gameplay as a reason to hate on the Werehog as a whole, much like how it wasn't be justified for people to hate Big the Cat for his fishing gameplay in SA1. Gameplay, no matter how good or bad, should NOT be used to judge a character and the fact that the Sonic characters receive all sorts of hate mostly for gameplay reasons, as well as mishandling in writing/characterization and utilization from SEGA/Sonic Team, gives me much frustration when it comes to this franchise.

SonicSoul wrote:I quite agree with everything FancyFool has said. From a gameplay, character and story-perspective, it'd make no sense to just "switch Werehog for Knuckles for the sake of fanservice" and would've only given non-fans another excuse to hate other playable characters since at the time people were still burned over how bad 06' turned out and handled multiple character campaigns.

Yes, precisely! Thank you SonicSoul :D
FancyFool
BumbleFan

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:49 pm

Huh. I was always pro "Knuckles in Unleashed" but SS and FF convinced me. I would prefer to play as Knuckles, but in the long run that would only give ammo for "Sonic friends" hate groups.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Village » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:24 pm

I'm not trying to be mean, i'm not trying to condecend.

But I am too old to be giving any type of a @#$% about " sonic friend hate groups" I think most folks on this site are, and I think sega is. I think sega giving too much of a @#$% is why sonic the way it is now.

If instead of worrying about folks who said eliminating friends during a time period, which we are still in, where everyone and their mom is bringing every character from every property out of their attics because they can be sold to someone. Sega thought listening to that group was good idea. Instead of just working with what they had characters in all and fixing the technical problems in presentation and game play and fixing those. But no eliminating everything in broad strokes via suggestion was a good idea.

I do not have the time to care about these people, neither should sega. Just make a good games, and then those people will talk all the @#$% they want. But they can't talk down a good video game. I am too old, and I'm not even old, to worry about those people.
Last edited by Village on Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Village
BumbleCitizen

Postby Azul » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:32 pm

^Like a boss.

I'd like a Sonic game where everyone's got their own stats i.e speed, jump, defense (how many rings they lose when hit) etc. Then there could also be shortcuts that can be accesed to characters of a certain type like in Sonic Heroes. Or we could go all Sonic Adventures 1&/or 2 and have characters play different parts of a level or different levels all together.
Azul
BumbleKnight

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius