Will the other characters ever be playable again?

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Yes
69%
No
31%

Total votes : 26

Postby Vampfox » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:20 pm

It's almost been nine years since Sonic 2006. Sonic 2006 was the last main Sonic game where you could play as characters besides Sonic.

Since next year will be the 25th anniversary of Sonic will Sega finally let the other characters be playable again?
Vampfox
BumbleCult

Re: Will the other characters ever be playable again?

Postby Village » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:43 pm

Eh maybe, well see.
-shrugs-

They were in boom to some degree. Maybe sega is more interested in more sonic heroes esque shenanigans .
Village
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mobotropolis » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:47 pm

It doesn't really matter.

I don't think playing with additional characters has added anything significant to the series since the Adventure Series. Since they made the baffling decision to make most of the characters play almost exactly the same despite having different powers I doesn't really matter to me whether I'm playing as Sonic or recolored Sonic. It might matter if they reintroduce different gameplay styles into the main series, but I don't see that happening.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:48 pm

I wouldn't mind, though I'd like if they kept to more of a "can run the same levels as Sonic, but can do x or y instead of z" kind of thing.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Village » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:13 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:I wouldn't mind, though I'd like if they kept to more of a "can run the same levels as Sonic, but can do x or y instead of z" kind of thing.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

I would totally be fine with the 2nd thing, you can do that good. It would just require them to do it good.

I'm playing batman like

Man... this rouge the bat section, could totally be a rouge the bat section if sega tried.
Village
BumbleCitizen

Postby BlazeHeatnix » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:12 pm

Mainly the problem with multiple playable characters is making them all play like Sonic himself. Giving Tails and Knuckles boost power wouldn't make sense, but that's the only way to make them play similar to Sonic right now, so...

This presents a problem.[/Gamma]
BlazeHeatnix
BumbleCitizen

Postby The Shadow Imperator » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:26 pm

BlazeHeatnix wrote:Mainly the problem with multiple playable characters is making them all play like Sonic himself.

The real problem is that people expect multiple playable characters to all play like Sonic himself. Why is variety such a bad thing?
The Shadow Imperator
BumbleFan

Postby linebyline » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:38 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:I wouldn't mind, though I'd like if they kept to more of a "can run the same levels as Sonic, but can do x or y instead of z" kind of thing.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Agreed. This is what made S3&K great. It was also present in the Advance titles, a bit in the Rush titles, and kinda sorta in Heroes and Adventure (but often that was more a case of levels being set up differently for the different characters/teams, instead of gating areas based on character abilities). It makes level design harder, because you have to make sure that everyone can get through it. It's harder still to degisn well, and make sure to put in enough exclusive parts that everyone's version is different and interesting, as opposed to simply appealing to the lowest common denominator (which would be easier but would defeat the purpose of giving everyone different abilities). But done well, it makes for a much more interesting game, makes it more accessible to players who want to pick characters that best fit their play styles, and adds replay value for those who want to beat every level with every character.

I hope they bring it back at least occasionally. Not every game needs different characters, and even the ones that do don't need all that many. The Adventure titles had more distinct gameplay types than necessary, not all of them fun *coughfishingcough*. Adventure 2 really only had 3 characters, plus the same three characters with minor tweaks. Heroes cranked that up to 11. Actually, make that 12. (13 if you count Cheese separately.)

The Shadow Imperator wrote:
BlazeHeatnix wrote:Mainly the problem with multiple playable characters is making them all play like Sonic himself.

The real problem is that people expect multiple playable characters to all play like Sonic himself. Why is variety such a bad thing?

I think the issue isn't making them play just like Sonic, but making them close enough to seem like you're still playing the same game when you pick a different character. The Adventure games didn't always succeed at this.

[Edited for obligatory commemoration of 900th post.]
linebyline
BumbleKnight

Postby Village » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:43 pm

I actually I think they can play differently and it can be done well now. There are plenty of games with entirely different game play mechanics handled by different characters that are good. The issue, for me was never the characters, it was sega just not doing it good, diluding a diffent idea with stupidty.

That said having variants on movement is totally fine, its what colors should have been instead of the horrible uninteresting deadly 6, they could have just been unlocklble sonic characters. Or ones you start with, and you play as an occasionally battle with navigating variant levels with different abilities.

Though I think the issues with friends is being addressed wrong here. Its not gameplay really its thematic
Village
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mobotropolis » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:16 pm

not all of them fun *coughfishingcough*

It's things like this that make me feel like a freak of nature.

I really enjoyed fishing -- and didn't like the high-speed Sonic/Tails (SA1) levels. I also liked Treasure Hunting and the levels with Amy. I liked the Werehog levels outside of the required-to-progress mobs. You know. Things that forced me to slow down and look around for a solution.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:41 pm

linebyline has what I'm thinking. Adventure style tends to be too divisive; allowing people to conquer the obstacles laid before them and find their own routes seems to go over better.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby FancyFool » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:24 pm

DEAR LORD I WISH! I miss playing as Tails, Amy, and Cream and I want the opportunity to play as everyone else again!

*Bitter sigh* But the chances of them becoming playable again are extremely low if non-existent. Why? "Professional" critics that's why. Let's face it, those guys DESPISE all the Sonic characters with the sole exception of Sonic, Tails, and Eggman due to the highly irrational belief that the characters were everything that was "wrong" with the games before Colors and it's going to take a serious miracle to have them stop taking pot-shots at the characters, let alone convince them to end their unwarranted hatred.

Heck, even when the characters appeared as mere NPCs in Sonic Generations, quite a few critics actually deducted points from Generations for acknowledging their existence. That's how much these jerks people hate the characters. So it's no surprise that SEGA isn't going to let the extended characters be playable in the games that matter; not when they're going to lose flipping points over it!

It's criminal that this series has such a large cast of characters that have been playable one way or another before but only one of them (albeit, the title character) has been playable for the past few years, all because of some stupid stigma from people-I-want-to-call-stupid-but-can't-because-that's-unprofessional. I desperately want the characters to become playable again, but that's not going to happen so long the (un)professional critics are in charge.
FancyFool
BumbleFan

Postby GentlemanX » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:05 am

I actually have the polar opposite opinion of linbyline and LBD; having the other characters control like off shoots of Sonic in the same levels is how I'd hate to see other characters come back. Though I acknowledge that's personal preference, I find that game play gimmick overly repetitive and makes me disinterested in playing as other characters. When you're little going through Sonic Advance as Knuckles or Amy is fun because it's a different sprite and some new moves to utilize. But playing through all of the games recently with friends, we never want to go back through those levels with another character; it feels almost the same and there aren't enough in the levels to offer a unique experience; we'd much rather just play another game. The worst offender is easily Sonic Heroes which we did play through again with every team, and since they're all identical basically meant we just played the game four times. When we started with Team Sonic they were okay with it, but by the time we finished Team Chaotix they wanted to break the disc in two.

While I prefer SA2, I'll admit SA1 is my ideal in terms of how to handle multiple playable characters. Each character acts as a unique experience and none of the levels feel like retreads of what Sonic does. The gamer's individual mileage for each of these play styles is obviously subjective, with the popular opinion being against it, but in truth five of Sonic Adventure's six game styles are platformers that offer unique situations based on the differences of one character to another (Big is the only one that doesn't reflect platforming, so while I actually enjoy is gameplay I acknowledge it misses the point of Sonic - it would have been better if promoted as a mini-game ala the Chao Garden). 06, while unfinished, was trying to streamline this even more by fitting multiple gameplay styles into the 3-D Sonic style, essentially doing what linebyline and LBD are suggesting utilizing the Adventure; then contemporary, gameplay style.

Though, there's a lot of merit to the claim that the majority of players, especially the non-Sonic fans public, just don't like any of the other characters. That audience, which is by far the loudest, just want Sonic and having the other characters appear at all is a sin in and of itself; having them playable is an instant black mark. There is no perfect or correct way of producing a Sonic game, but a lot of people tend to have that belief anyway. I would rather Sega try appeasing multiple groups; games like Sonic 4 appeasing classic fans, games like Generations appeasing modern fans, games like Adventure appeasing that fanbase, etc. The truth is, while all of those are main title Sonic games, each controls significantly differently and is enjoyed and demonized by fans for those reasons. None are really better than another, that only comes down to who's playing the game.

So I'd personally like to see it both ways, classic styled games would be implemented like S3&K while adventure styled games would be implemented like SA1. Will that ever happen? No, probably not. Sega is having a very hard time releasing quality games as it is, given it's been two years since Lost World which was considered mediocre by critics at best, and four years since Generations was well received. Admittedly, they've released Rise of Lyric and Shattered Crystal with multiple characters, and yet those both were universally panned. Runners utilizes multiple characters, but that's pretty obscure toward anyone that's not already into Sonic and from what I can tell they don't really play that differently from one another.

Never say never, but I doubt that other characters will be playable again, at least not in the ways being desired here.
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

Postby BlazeHeatnix » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:48 am

I think there should be some form of balance in the gameplay style issue. The fact is, most Sonic fans don't want to have to be forced to play a different gameplay style than the standard fast speedy platforming Sonic has, in order to beat the game. I enjoy Knuckles's emerald hunting (SA1's version, mind) and Tails races too, but they're not what I expect to be doing when I pick up a Sonic game. Imagine if in Sonic 3&K, Tails and Knuckles had totally different gameplay styles, and you had to beat both their playthroughs to get to Doomsday Zone. That's not fair. What if I don't like playing as those characters?

Rather, if Knuckles emerald hunting were to come back for example, why not make it a side mission required for 100% completion, but not for seeing the true ending?
BlazeHeatnix
BumbleCitizen

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:12 am

...what do you mean 'ever be playeble'? There is Sonic Boom, Olympics and All Star Games. And if you ask about main games then answer is obviously yes. The real question is if they return next game or after another 10 years. Even Mario adds other playable characters, Sega can't be stubborn for ever.

Still, old dilemma for Sonic's franchise. I love all those characters, but Sega has no idea how to implement them. Personally I'm okay with idea to make them similar enough to Sonic so they could beat his levels.
For example Generations: Tails and Knuckles (maybe Amy and Cream) could be playable in classic levels with Advance controls (except for Amy, she needs double jump or something like that), while Shadow, Silver (maybe Blaze and Metal) could be playable in modern levels (they all fast, so giving them boost wouldn't be so weird). That adds re playability and all that junk.
In fact, I think Shadow could be unlock able in every games past 06, kinda like Metal in SADX or Luigi in Mario Galaxy. Mods keep putting him, how hard would it be for Sega? Of course I would prefer if he was a hard mode (or opposite, completely broken), but even skin would be nice.

But returning in full power to Adventure style? I love those games, but despite they flaws, not for fishing and mech shooting. Sega would have to stick to 3 styles top and put extra effort to make them fun. Even in Unleashed they they failed and there were only 2 styles.
Other option would be making one story with Sonic handling 50-70% of levels, but few times changing to his friends, kinda like Spyro 3 or Captain Toad in Mario 3D World (at least that's how I heard it works, never played those games). It would help break the pace from constant running, and would be easier from story perspective since Sega seems to be afraid of any interesting story telling since Black Knight.

I do wonder if there is any other way to implement Sonic characters into a game. I mean, how many times can we fight them? Or making cameos like Lost World and Generations?
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius