STH#277 Spoilers & Discussion

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: STH#277 Spoilers & Discussion

Postby Arkus0 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:47 am

Vampfox wrote:
Mavrickindigo wrote:
TurboTailz wrote:
Mavrickindigo wrote:Looking at this group, I think to myself "these are the kind of people game Eggman would have working for him." If current Archie Eggman is as ruthless as Robo-Robotnik Eggman was, I just don't see this ending good for Cassia and Clove, and that would sadden me to their fate, and I will think Eggman would be at a point where he would be an irredeemable monster. I just don't think Game Eggman is that kind of villain though...

Thinking about those two characters I have a feeling for Cassia's case is that Eggman was able to support her with something to keep her alive, but for a price. They had to join the Eggman army to keep their end of the deal otherwise Ka-Boom! Cassia's head is missing.

I don't like a more game-oriented world having a head-exploding Eggman. *shrug* We've so little of what this Eggman is, save for the fact that Worlds Collide is canon, which doesn't really sit well with me, personally. I don't see Eggman throwing people out of spaceships. Robo-Robotnik? Sure, but not Eggman

I really don't see a problem with Robotnik being more ruthless in the comics. Comics are more reliant on storytelling then video games are. A Robotnik who is more ruthless fits in better with an ongoing comic book series then the goofy manchild Robotnik in the video games.

What works in one form of media doesn't always work so well in another form of media.

I rather like how the comics version has developed where in one moment he's a goofy manchild, but in the next moment he's a ruthless villain you have every right to be scared of. It really shows how insane he is and unpredictable he can be. Its a bit like the Joker from the Batman Animated series, in some episodes he's a joke, easily thwarted and at times a pushover, but in others he's scary and intimidating and proves why he's Batman's nemesis.

I think we can agree that anytime Eggman acts funny he steals the show, but when he's being serious it shows why he's top villain over the likes of Mogul or Naugus.
Arkus0
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mordum » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:52 am

Vampfox wrote:Comics are more reliant on storytelling then video games are. A Robotnik who is more ruthless fits in better with an ongoing comic book series then the goofy manchild Robotnik in the video games.

What works in one form of media doesn't always work so well in another form of media.[/color]

Why is someone ruthless more inherently fit for a comic book than a goofy manchild? Why does medium dictate tone?

You have the most bizarre storytelling opinions.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby ChaosJam » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:42 am

Mordum wrote:
Vampfox wrote:Comics are more reliant on storytelling then video games are. A Robotnik who is more ruthless fits in better with an ongoing comic book series then the goofy manchild Robotnik in the video games.

What works in one form of media doesn't always work so well in another form of media.[/color]

Why is someone ruthless more inherently fit for a comic book than a goofy manchild? Why does medium dictate tone?

You have the most bizarre storytelling opinions.

I have to agree with Mordum. Eggman more or less hasn't changed in personality since Ian took over. I never understand where people are getting that he is a goofy manchild in the comic these days. Sure he has some comedic moments (mainly because being evil purely to be evil is boring and kind of an '80s villain cliche) but he is still vastly distinct from his game counterpart. I mean he is still rolling around in a giant Death Egg battle station! There are people out there that WANT to join his Empire! He is still taken as a serious (if also despised) threat by the villain community of the comic (Naugus Twins needing to wreak havoc on him).

Somewhere along the line, people got it into their heads that Ian suddenly started writing Eggman differently post-reboot, I have seen no evidence of that whatsoever. Must be that whole "Ahh using video game elements correctly in a video game comic! My childhood is destroyed!" mentality. :roll:
ChaosJam
BumbleNoble

Postby The KKM » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:44 am

No, Mordum's point was that the idea that a goofy manchild is inherently an inferior idea to explore story-wise and thus only fit for a game is bizarre and nonsensical. I think, at least, and if I'm wrong and it wasn't the point he was making...

It's the point I'll make now. Vampfox, why the heck is "a goofy manchild" an idea inherently inferior, nay, considering how you put it, an impossible idea to explore in fiction while someone ruthless isn't? If anything, considering the serial format, someone ruthless is worse, because it becomes harder and harder to justify why the heroes haven't dealt with them.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Mordum » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:24 am

Plus, you know, all the ruthless characters in the games. Gerald Robotnik's chilling speech as the world's about to be genocided. Metal Overlord grappling with his own psychology as he ascends to godhood just to feel whole. Mephiles blatantly murdering Sonic in front of Elise and laughing.

The idea that comedy is more apt for mediums with less story focus is also insane to even propose. Vampfox, do you even know the level of precision of storytelling it requires to do a really good comedy? There's more precision of acting, writing, and choreography in an episode of Stella than there is in a lot of modern action-dramas.

And moving outward to other genres, like...P.T. is basically playable Eraserhead, right down to a weird deformed baby, and both are pretty effecting. If anything, games are incredible apt for dramatic tension or characters with darker shades. There's nothing about his suggestion that some mediums are better at tones than others that makes any sense.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:31 am

Got the issue and I think I'm detecting a bit of an issue plotwise with this leg of the Shattered World Crisis. It's kinda samey. Sonic and (FF) help a key Guardian, get the key, Repeat. It's not necessarily a bad thing since that's pretty much Unleashed and the stories are fun it's just they're kind of similar.

Now the main story wasn't horrible or anything and I liked getting info on Lupe in this new timeline and getting to see "Classic" Designs for Sally and Antoine. I'm kinda interested in how long Eggman's occupation of Mobotropolis lasted in the new continuity since Sally says she got her home, Father and Kingdom back when in both SatAM and pre-Reboot they met Lupe before taking down Robotnik. Just a curiosity is all.

I love the weird lightning thing from the Great Wastes was used as a Zone theme it works into Sega style a little better than most other things from SatAM.

Also personally I like Adam Bryce Thomas's art myself. It's pretty fluid and flows pretty well IMHO. Although it's kinda heavily shaded in places for my liking but I don't know how much that's him and how much it's Terry Austin. The Genesis Portals Story wasn't so shaded.

So yeah the main story was fun but a little Samey.

The Back up Story looks like it's going to be pretty great. I'd rather wait until all 30 pages are out before judging it fully but I'm excited to see Bunnie finally get some focus. I can't wait to see what Cassia is up to and it was fun seeing Egg Soldiers being just people.

Evan Stanley's Art is Evan Stanley's art so y'know pretty dang good. No real complaints with this story honestly.

Also the Off-Panels dumb. Sonic get's struck by lightning and becomes The Flash. Hilarious no ones ever made that joke before totally original. :(hearty laughter):

Also, Also yay "Robontik's a totally more serious name than Eggman" and "SONALLY FOREVER STOP FOCUSING ON AMY ROSE" in the letters. Because that crap all over the internet just wasn't enough. :roll: Seriously Vin why did you print that?
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Meliden » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:41 am

Judging by the tone of his answers, because he wanted to shut them up.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Mavrickindigo » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:22 pm

Blueranger

The set ip reminds me of the third axt of worlds unite, but done right. There is that repetiveness, but the way each individual story and character is the eay such a story arc should be handled
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby NxtWaltDisney » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:34 pm

So, I see this new Wolf Pack, and I gotta say...kinda disappointed. Lupe is just fine, but did all the wolves have to be...the same? I mean, in the old continuity, we had wolves that were all sorts of shapes and sizes, some bulky, some not so bulky, etc. I mean, I know the designs are trying to fit with the games continuity, but when you look at the designs of the Deadly Six, or even Rotor, you kinda expect...a better variety?
NxtWaltDisney
BumbleClan

Postby redhammer » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:22 pm

Yo, we've gone full circle. I remember Ian Flynn tweeting that in Sonic Runners, Sonic and his friends helping the little animals is the equivalent of the Freedom Fighters. In the flashback sequence, Sally is pretty much described a plan that happened in one of the plots in Sonic Runners.

Sonic Runners, I don't know which episode, Help Animals being captured by Eggman, then assist defending themselves against Eggman.

StH #277, in the Flashback, Help the Wolf Pack from Eggman invasion, Help them restore their community and inspire them to fightback.
redhammer
BumbleNewbie

Postby Unknownshadow675 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:54 pm

I was disappointed by that first story. It feels like we walked into the second half of a 20 page story. That didn't really sit well for me.

Also, that E-Series got trashed in the first 3 pages. I really don't like seeing these Super Badniks get trashed like regular badniks. I want to see them beat the Freedom Fighters up and be considered as real threats to them. I think "Ambushed" did this well. I'd like to see more of it.

I feel like the odd one out (It's funny because I recently watched Halo Legends.) here for saying this but I didn't care about Lupe losing her father or seeing her village get attacked.

As someone who is seeing Lupe for the first time I don't think gave me a personal enough connection to her character to really care what happens to her. This loops back to my main problem above but I feel this story would of worked much better as a 20 page story rather than a 10 page story.

I'm hoping with future stories that I can get more of a connection to the new or returning characters.
I love Eclipse and the Dark Arms, Relic and Fixit, Honey, Breezie, and Professor I'm not gonna try and spell his name off the top of my head. I have had time to get to know them and they all are great additions to the comic.

Now for the second story. Only one things really bugs me about this. Why does Clove and Cassia (If I mispelled that I'll edit this.) keep the guard around if all he does is play games?

I can imagine they're not really evil or cruel (Whatever species they are.) and that things for the most part are quiet there in the region. So, maybe that's why they would keep him around. I think he should get replaced with someone better at doing their job though.

Otherwise, I liked this story well enough. It's just set up so there's not really anything notable other than my nitpick and the good character moments within it.
Unknownshadow675
BumbleFan

Postby QuantamEdge » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:58 am

Found this one an improvement from last month. Adam's art just somehow leaped ahead in quality. I guess his newly gained experience in drawing comics is starting to show now, so that's marvellous. The pacing felt better as well which I wasn't expecting to be any better if I'm honest. Having Lupe back was fun. I still can't get over her design being mahoosively improved. Flashback was my favourite part as for story. I loved the little changes in the characters appearance as a sneaky way of getting round Sega's age mandates.

Second story was a good one too. Like, practically everyone's who first saw them, I enjoyed seeing Cassia and Clove again. Particularly Clove because her design is one of my favourites :P Having Bunnie (finally) in the spotlight is good news as well, so I think this story is going to be a heck of a lot of fun for me.

On one final note, I loved seeing editorial concept art having not seen it for a long while. Thanks for that Vin, appreciate it.
QuantamEdge
BumbleKnight

Postby Mobotropolis » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:34 am

Why does Clove and Cassia (If I mispelled that I'll edit this.) keep the guard around if all he does is play games?

If I were to wager a guess it's because you can't really get fired from the Eggman Empire.

Unless, you know, you're immune to exploding.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby akessel92 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:50 am

Mobotropolis wrote:
Why does Clove and Cassia (If I mispelled that I'll edit this.) keep the guard around if all he does is play games?

If I were to wager a guess it's because you can't really get fired from the Eggman Empire.

Unless, you know, you're immune to exploding.

Then again could be other things aside from blowing up.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby DoNotDelete » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:00 am

Are Clove's hooved feet just fancy footwear? Because Cassia's feet look entirely different - is that just because she's wearing boots? Do either of them actually have hooved feet?

I know that one is a Robian and that sisters don't *have* to look anything alike - but these two are pretty extreme examples. Is Cassia much younger than Clove? I suppose if they were younger and older sister that would make the difference in their appearance more understandable.

I mean, both designs are great - it's just that I don't find them to be very sisterly.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius