STH#277 Spoilers & Discussion

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: STH#277 Spoilers & Discussion

Postby EvanStanley » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:26 pm

...So what are "Snail Chips?" I did the Chaos Cola can, but I don't think I wrote anything on the chip bag.
EvanStanley
BumbleCitizen

Postby akessel92 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:58 pm

EvanStanley wrote:...So what are "Snail Chips?" I did the Chaos Cola can, but I don't think I wrote anything on the chip bag.

You got me but I saw a gotf Easter egg.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby Mavrickindigo » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:13 pm

This issue really nailed something for me. It really shows the differences in writing styles between Ian Flynn and Aleah Baker. Ian's strengths come mostly from plotting out things. Go from point a to point b. Sometimes this makes characters do things that are a little wonky, and other times we get some really cool character stuff. But it seems that Aleah has some real good character writing skills. The whole segment in the base just felt so alive. I never cared for a faction of the Egg Army as much as these, even the Oil Ocean team. It could be that since these are all brand new characters, Aleah and Evan can just have a field day and do whatever they want with them, but I got a really good sense of who these people are, and even though they're fighting the good guys, I like them.

Looking at this group, I think to myself "these are the kind of people game Eggman would have working for him." If current Archie Eggman is as ruthless as Robo-Robotnik Eggman was, I just don't see this ending good for Cassia and Clove, and that would sadden me to their fate, and I will think Eggman would be at a point where he would be an irredeemable monster. I just don't think Game Eggman is that kind of villain though...

As for Ian's part of the book, I really liked it as well, but for different reasons. I hear he incorporated elements from Lupe's backstory in SataM and I also like how he tied her into the gaia temples and all that and explained Meropis's temple. I don't know, its all falling together, like nice pieces of a puzzle, or cracks in a planet.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby TurboTailz » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:37 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:Looking at this group, I think to myself "these are the kind of people game Eggman would have working for him." If current Archie Eggman is as ruthless as Robo-Robotnik Eggman was, I just don't see this ending good for Cassia and Clove, and that would sadden me to their fate, and I will think Eggman would be at a point where he would be an irredeemable monster. I just don't think Game Eggman is that kind of villain though...

Thinking about those two characters I have a feeling for Cassia's case is that Eggman was able to support her with something to keep her alive, but for a price. They had to join the Eggman army to keep their end of the deal otherwise Ka-Boom! Cassia's head is missing.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby Mavrickindigo » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:54 pm

TurboTailz wrote:
Mavrickindigo wrote:Looking at this group, I think to myself "these are the kind of people game Eggman would have working for him." If current Archie Eggman is as ruthless as Robo-Robotnik Eggman was, I just don't see this ending good for Cassia and Clove, and that would sadden me to their fate, and I will think Eggman would be at a point where he would be an irredeemable monster. I just don't think Game Eggman is that kind of villain though...

Thinking about those two characters I have a feeling for Cassia's case is that Eggman was able to support her with something to keep her alive, but for a price. They had to join the Eggman army to keep their end of the deal otherwise Ka-Boom! Cassia's head is missing.

I don't like a more game-oriented world having a head-exploding Eggman. *shrug* We've so little of what this Eggman is, save for the fact that Worlds Collide is canon, which doesn't really sit well with me, personally. I don't see Eggman throwing people out of spaceships. Robo-Robotnik? Sure, but not Eggman
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Kaito90 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:33 pm

Istill don't get why it isn't available on the Sonic Comic app...
Kaito90
BumbleFan

Postby LordLaharlsVassal » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:25 am

Kaito90 wrote:Istill don't get why it isn't available on the Sonic Comic app...

I am so glad I started buying Sonic comics on Google Play instead, comics coming late to the Archie Digital Comics was driving me up the wall.
LordLaharlsVassal
BumbleFan

Postby Meliden » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:38 am

Because it's not out for release until October 21st. It was October 14th but it got pushed back. That original date is probably why it got leaked on there for a short while last Wednesday.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Kaito90 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:39 am

Meliden wrote:

Because it's not out for release until October 21st. It was October 14th but it got pushed back. That original date is probably why it got leaked on there for a short while last Wednesday.

Aaah, I see. Many thanks! :D
Kaito90
BumbleFan

Postby TurboTailz » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:58 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:I don't like a more game-oriented world having a head-exploding Eggman. *shrug* We've so little of what this Eggman is, save for the fact that Worlds Collide is canon, which doesn't really sit well with me, personally. I don't see Eggman throwing people out of spaceships. Robo-Robotnik? Sure, but not Eggman

Luckily this is the comic's version so I do prefer Eggman to have a sinister trait like his SaTam version. He has to be reckon with or what's the point of following him if he's a pushover like his Boom version playing with Amy in some fluffy puppy checkers game.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby Mobotropolis » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:35 pm

Boom! Eggman does what I like to call " justifiable evil ". In that episode in particular Eggman only did something underhanded because the kid was being a jerk. Even so, he in turn did something underhanded instead of going the direct route and trying to Team Rocket all of the fuzzy puppies because he only wanted one -- and actually valued the friendship that he had with Amy and the other villagers.

I actually think Boom! Eggman is less of a pushover than other versions of Eggman because he seriously does not tolerate what he believes to be an injustice. Yeah-sure he's defeated easily, but so is just about every other incarnation of the character.

I don't like villains who are evil for the sake of being evil ... which is what Eggman was for the longest time. With Archie Eggman it was getting worse because he flip-flopped between being needlessly cruel like when he blew up Antoine and ordered the St. John's execution and deciding to show mercy like he did to the Dark Legion (and Lien-da in particular twice) or to Regina. I didn't like it because those sorts of extremes made him hard to relate to. He seemed to be the level of evil that the story needed him to be at that particular time.

One thing I like about Post-Reboot is that it seems like the vast majority of Eggman's followers do not follow him purely out of fear. They seem to have their own motivation, too, which is refreshing. The " do it or I'll blow you up " angle was a nice twist for the Legion and explained why an age-old organization would continue serving someone they probably thought was beneath them, but it can lose its novelty after a while. It also makes me wonder why even give them the choice when he can just roboticize them or install a loyalty chip or something instead.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby TurboTailz » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:54 pm

Mobotropolis wrote:Boom! Eggman does what I like to call " justifiable evil ". In that episode in particular Eggman only did something underhanded because the kid was being a jerk. Even so, he in turn did something underhanded instead of going the direct route and trying to Team Rocket all of the fuzzy puppies because he only wanted one -- and actually valued the friendship that he had with Amy and the other villagers.

I actually think Boom! Eggman is less of a pushover than other versions of Eggman because he seriously does not tolerate what he believes to be an injustice. Yeah-sure he's defeated easily, but so is just about every other incarnation of the character.

I don't like villains who are evil for the sake of being evil ... which is what Eggman was for the longest time. With Archie Eggman it was getting worse because he flip-flopped between being needlessly cruel like when he blew up Antoine and ordered the St. John's execution and deciding to show mercy like he did to the Dark Legion (and Lien-da in particular twice) or to Regina. I didn't like it because those sorts of extremes made him hard to relate to. He seemed to be the level of evil that the story needed him to be at that particular time.

One thing I like about Post-Reboot is that it seems like the vast majority of Eggman's followers do not follow him purely out of fear. They seem to have their own motivation, too, which is refreshing. The " do it or I'll blow you up " angle was a nice twist for the Legion and explained why an age-old organization would continue serving someone they probably thought was beneath them, but it can lose its novelty after a while. It also makes me wonder why even give them the choice when he can just roboticize them or install a loyalty chip or something instead.

Heh that's actually a nice way to look at it :).
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby NiTROACTiVE » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:16 pm

This issue was nice, and it was packed with plenty of action. It was nice to see Lupe Wolf again as well as the rest of the wolf pack (even though most of the original wolf pack members are gone), because we haven't seen them in a long time. Now we're waiting for Dulcy the Dragon. The E-118 TAU was also a cool robot too, and the frog badniks were cute too, especially how one of them shed a tear when Bunnie Rabbot kicked it even though robots usually don't shed tears. Lupe's backstory was tragic seeing how her village was damaged as well as how she lost her father as well, and the action scene in the flashback was really tense too. Seeing Lupe go crazy in the flashback was tense, as well as how she took Antoine's sword to attack the enemies. Also, to those who don't know, the French phrase "S'il vous plait", the one Antoine said translates to "If you please". After the flashback, I also see that the team found the blue Emerald that was from STH #266-#267, and I also see that the story with Lupe Wolf ended pretty quickly. It's nice to see Bunnie as a main character in a story again, especially how she's with Sally Acorn. Seeing Bunnie and Sally make funny faces when passing the security field as Nicole disrupted it was really silly. Seeing Cassia and Clove again is cool too, and about that yellow deer/dog/bunny character playing video games on the job, I'm surprised he didn't get fired yet. Who was he anyways? Either way, seeing Bunnie and Cassia start to fight in the issue was pretty cool too. The Off-Panel was really clever, and I loved how it was an homage to DC's The Flash. I'm now wondering what's to come in STH #278.
NiTROACTiVE
BumbleClan

Postby awkwardMEOW » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:13 am

I loved it all! I bet Dulcy is gonna be in one of these upcoming world-building visits soon. Now that we've seen Lupe who was first mentioned in the same issue as Dulcy. There's probably a Dragon Egg Boss to see in the upcoming Scrambed "sequel" arc. That's my predication at least.
awkwardMEOW
BumbleNewbie

Postby Vampfox » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:34 am

Mavrickindigo wrote:
TurboTailz wrote:

I don't like a more game-oriented world having a head-exploding Eggman. *shrug* We've so little of what this Eggman is, save for the fact that Worlds Collide is canon, which doesn't really sit well with me, personally. I don't see Eggman throwing people out of spaceships. Robo-Robotnik? Sure, but not Eggman

I really don't see a problem with Robotnik being more ruthless in the comics. Comics are more reliant on storytelling then video games are. A Robotnik who is more ruthless fits in better with an ongoing comic book series then the goofy manchild Robotnik in the video games.

What works in one form of media doesn't always work so well in another form of media.
Vampfox
BumbleCult

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius