STH#277 Spoilers & Discussion

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: STH#277 Spoilers & Discussion

Postby Kaito90 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:56 pm

TheFatPanda wrote:I politely request pictures!

EDIT: oh, scratch that. Buying the digital version now!

where are you buying it, if it's okay to ask?

I can't find it in the comic app. :c
Kaito90
BumbleFan

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:19 pm

This issue was...slightly boring.

I never really liked Lupe. Even in her first appearance in cartoon she didn't really do anything. And since I knew she will appear way before that, the little hype I had managed to fade. They give her a tragic back story here, but it didn't make me really care. Also, imagine that you never knew Lupe before. Would that be a good introduction?
(Gesh, it's second issue in a row I complain about character I have issues with).

Other then that, beating robot in the same way as Satam can be considered cute little homage, but doing it twice kinda pushes it. Chip is still around but ultimately doesn't do anything important. I do wonder whenever he will have any impact before finally.

Second story is fine, it's just a set up for second part. I guess relation between Cassia and her crew is kinda cute.
Last edited by MetalSkulkBane on Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby TheFatPanda » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:26 pm

Kaito90 wrote:
TheFatPanda wrote:I politely request pictures!

EDIT: oh, scratch that. Buying the digital version now!

where are you buying it, if it's okay to ask?

I can't find it in the comic app. :c

The Sonic Comics App.

EDIT: ooh, looks like they've taken it off again. Guess it was an accidental release.

Still have it in my library at least.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby akessel92 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:40 pm

As much as I like the fact they delayed it so I can buy the other printed books. It's just plain silly that they're delaying regular issues now. Are they gonna release some late Halloween special variant or something?
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby TurboTailz » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:06 pm

This issue had a nice starting flow introducing a youthful Lupe and telling her backstory. I do like that she went revengeful berserk mode to avenge father and the ones who died in that village. Her quick reflexes grabbing Antoine's sword and practically owning any badnik that comes her way. I can say she could be a potential foe to her enemies if she still carries that vengeful flame. I like the part where Bunnie and Nicole pointed out Sally has similar ways like Sonic when it comes to crucial times. Pretty much anyone of them in that faction would do it
Spoiler: show
that Sonic influence
. The artwork felt anime ish in a good way similar to Steven Butler and maybe a bit of J. Axer. Overall solid intro story introducing an old character with a different history, but I like it cause it's dark since death was involved to make Lupe strong like her old self.

The second story was interesting and a great start for another intro since it's sequel towards the first one. I get to see the ladies in action again and looking forward to their adversaries to put up a good fight. I see that Cassia is the brute type obviously, but I'm curious what Clove brings to the table besides stealth. The artwork was pretty good cause I do like Evan Stanley's art and the expression she gives her characters.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby TheFatPanda » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:56 pm

When minor piece of dialogue I found curious:

Clove: "Cassia, don't forget your treatment"

...am I interpreting that wrong, or are they implying Cassia has some kind of illness she needs to be treated for?
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby Shadowclaw98 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:04 pm

am I interpreting that wrong, or are they implying Cassia has some kind of illness she needs to be treated for?

I think that's the reason why her head is cybernetic
Shadowclaw98
BumbleNewbie

Postby theJcfreak » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:07 pm

Issue was pretty solid I felt, which was a pleasant surprise. I was thinking I would be complaining about Lupe's re-introduction or awful designs or a boring story but eh, I like it! Which is always nice.

The art is absolutely solid here, I love Adam Bryce Thomas' pencils and they're paired nicely with Terry Austin's inks and Gabriel Cassata's colors. It's a nice stylized anime look that's easy on the eyes and great fun to page through. And despite me really not caring for Lovello's original Lupe redesign images, ABT makes it work well here. The ponytail's great, plus I see they kept the markings under the eyes but worked them in well enough so they don't stand out awkwardly like they did before. The outfit's simple enough to fit in the Sonic world and there's enough little details in things like her bracelets, arm bands and necklace thingy that it sets her out from the other characters. I'm kinda upset they downplayed the Native American vibes from Lupe, and by downplayed I mean got rid of entirely except for a few spears with feathers on them. I liked the feel that she was from a different culture; and even if it was awkwardly done at times, I feel like we could have done it straight here in the post-reboot world and had it turn out alright. That's my main negative against Lupe's reboot design and character, in that she has a very generic feel culturally like most of the post-reboot cast.

Character-wise, the tragic backstory does make Lupe more endearing, plus it was a neat nod to see her in what looked like her classic bodysuit outfit in the flashback. She does look to be the same age as the rest of the cast, which is something I'm torn on honestly. Having an older female in the cast, even as a side character, did give some variety to the book and now that's gone. On the other hand, it's cute to see her interact with Sonic and I'm wondering if anyone will start to ship the two. Her character itself is something I'm not sure about yet as it's only one issue and I don't quite feel like I've gotten a feel for her just yet. At the moment, it feels very much like she's taken bits from everyone else. A bit of a cool streak, a bit of an honorable warrior thing, a bit of a leader. Need to read more to see her in more of her own elements.

A couple people were saying the story itself very generic but I honestly like both stories here and the way they work together. The quick flashback that served as tragic backstory for Lupe worked well too I think and seeing the different outfits for Sally, Antoine and Lupe was nice. Lupe being a vengeful bad@#$ is something that I'd like to see more of in the present world, so we'll see in the future eh? My main issue is why some of the characters were in the main story at all. I understand Chip needs to be there because Gaia and Unleashed adaption but bah. He adds nothing and is boring to boot. At least he gets some lines though. Did Lupe's Wolf Pack ever get a line? I'm looking through and don't see anything. Why are they here, to fill in the background space? Even a nod to them being there by having someone else mention them would have worked. Lupe says Wolf Pack one time but there's no dialogue indication that the silent ones all around them are the Wolf Pack except for an editor's note. Why are they there at all then? Are they more prominently featured next issue so they needed setup here? I would argue they need a better setup then or at least some acknowledgement from the others.

Seeing the Knuckles Chaotix rings was one other weird thing I wasn't quite sure we needed. I love game references and I think we all do, but this feels like a strange introduction for them. Unless I missed something previously, it looks like they were handed the rings off-panel by Dr. Ellidy and everyone's just, "Gosh aren't these helpful?" Helpful, yes. Cool, yes. I'll still argue they could have been introduced better at a later time as their sole purpose for being here seems to be, "Okay, need a scene with Lupe and Sonic running but Lupe couldn't keep up with Sonic normally so what do we use?" I appreciate the creative solution, but at the same time want something else so we could have gotten some proper KC adaption stuff in the future.

I'm not critical of everything in the story though and those few things are my main complaints. The character interaction between the FF and Lupe is great for instance. I personally love Sally and Nicole's interactions here as it further fuels my shipping of them. The well-drawn cute faces certainly doesn't help matters there either. And there seems to be a nice story being weaved together here as we have the pod from before crash-landed in the middle of nowhere with the Chaos Emerald missing. The backup story mentions a 'lost idiot' and the Chaos Emerald is mysteriously sitting atop a ruin elsewhere, where it's found by Bunnie and Cassia. Clove is sneakin' up on Sally elsewhere and elsewhere elsewhere we've got Sonic and Lupe and Wolf Pack doing god knows what. Perhaps running into our lost idiot? I'm interested to see how this all plays out because this is some nice deck-building here; I like to see stories weave together like this.

I've barely touched on the backup story in this issue but it's a nice read as well. Evan Stanley's art is tops as usual and I really like these post-reboot characters. Clove and Cassia are always fun to see more of and have some nice nuanced character moments. I mean in this issue alone we see a ton of little character interactions and even the background character in whoever the guy is playing video games (is he from before? I don't remember seeing him before) feels like a fully realized character even though he's just there to move plot along. Plus there's a page where Cassia goes through three or four different emotions in the space of six panels and it's just great to read thanks to the art and dialogue. Oh, and props to Evan because she apparently plans out her comic and works on Archie StH far enough in advance to time her subtle references well. Very clever. Though I'm curious now whether 'Snail Chips' is a reference or not.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing more of Lupe next issue and reading the powerhouse catfight between Bunnie and Cassie. It's looking good and despite a few criticisms I'm hype for the rest of this. Come on, let's bring on November.
theJcfreak
BumbleChosen

Postby Meliden » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:30 pm

theJcfreak wrote:Seeing the Knuckles Chaotix rings was one other weird thing I wasn't quite sure we needed. I love game references and I think we all do, but this feels like a strange introduction for them. Unless I missed something previously, it looks like they were handed the rings off-panel by Dr. Ellidy and everyone's just, "Gosh aren't these helpful?" Helpful, yes. Cool, yes. I'll still argue they could have been introduced better at a later time as their sole purpose for being here seems to be, "Okay, need a scene with Lupe and Sonic running but Lupe couldn't keep up with Sonic normally so what do we use?" I appreciate the creative solution, but at the same time want something else so we could have gotten some proper KC adaption stuff in the future.

As said before (I think?), this isn't the first time we've seen the combi rings in the post reboot world. We were formally introduced to them in Spark of Life in his lab, where Tails takes interest in them and Sally and Nicole later use them, but they were first seen back in Great Chaos Caper where the Chaotix themselves were using them. The mystery here is more along the lines of "if these are experimental rings that are presumably hard to come by and create, how did the Chaotix get hold of a pair?", and that's more fodder for any sort of pseudo-Chaotix "adaptation".

theJcfreak wrote:Anyway, looking forward to seeing more of Lupe next issue and reading the powerhouse catfight between Bunnie and Cassie. It's looking good and despite a few criticisms I'm hype for the rest of this. Come on, let's bring on November.

Pretty sure Lupe isn't in next month's issue. This story was a one parter, we're moving onto a different group next time.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Mobotropolis » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:41 pm

...am I interpreting that wrong, or are they implying Cassia has some kind of illness she needs to be treated for?

Cybernetics being used for the intent they were designed for? Blasphemous.

... but yeah. It was implied in their first appearance that Cassia is sick, too.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby Penguin God » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:53 pm

The story is sort of stock. The characters make it interesting, so it's not bad, but the plot's really forgettable. I do like Lupe here, she's not incredible but she's got more immediate appeal I think. Her old self always seemed sort of unapproachable, so it's nice to see her with the same basic traits but without that detachment. The Cassia/Clove backstory is strange in that it feels like just a continuation of the story it follows, and I'm not sure why it was split at all. The sisters are fun but something about the scene feels really slow. It's mostly just people standing around saying they need to be careful. Not bad, but slow.

Evan's art is on point, and the action there is flows fairly nice. Adam Bryce Thomas' is for the most part good too, but there's also a lot of panels that are kind of awkward or flat. I'm inclined to think the inks are part of the issue, but it's not a real dealbreaker.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby theJcfreak » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:45 pm

Meliden wrote:
theJcfreak wrote:Seeing the Knuckles Chaotix rings was one other weird thing I wasn't quite sure we needed. I love game references and I think we all do, but this feels like a strange introduction for them. Unless I missed something previously, it looks like they were handed the rings off-panel by Dr. Ellidy and everyone's just, "Gosh aren't these helpful?" Helpful, yes. Cool, yes. I'll still argue they could have been introduced better at a later time as their sole purpose for being here seems to be, "Okay, need a scene with Lupe and Sonic running but Lupe couldn't keep up with Sonic normally so what do we use?" I appreciate the creative solution, but at the same time want something else so we could have gotten some proper KC adaption stuff in the future.

As said before (I think?), this isn't the first time we've seen the combi rings in the post reboot world. We were formally introduced to them in Spark of Life in his lab, where Tails takes interest in them and Sally and Nicole later use them, but they were first seen back in Great Chaos Caper where the Chaotix themselves were using them. The mystery here is more along the lines of "if these are experimental rings that are presumably hard to come by and create, how did the Chaotix get hold of a pair?", and that's more fodder for any sort of pseudo-Chaotix "adaptation".

theJcfreak wrote:Anyway, looking forward to seeing more of Lupe next issue and reading the powerhouse catfight between Bunnie and Cassie. It's looking good and despite a few criticisms I'm hype for the rest of this. Come on, let's bring on November.

Pretty sure Lupe isn't in next month's issue. This story was a one parter, we're moving onto a different group next time.

Ah, I don't remember them in Spark of Life but that's probably due to my own forgetfulness than anything. Also no Lupe next month? How does that work, is this something that's going to get picked up later or are we just not going to see what Sonic and Lupe do while we get to see Clove & Cassia get in fights with Sal & Bun?
theJcfreak
BumbleChosen

Postby Sam Z.G. » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:58 pm

I still don't like this 2 short stories. They feel so rushed and everything is just setting-setting-setting.
The art made me nostalgic of Butler's days, tough. :D
Sam Z.G.
BumbleFan

Postby Arkus0 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:57 am

I really like seeing more Sega styled Wolf characters (wasn't really fond of the designs they had pre-reboot with the exception of Lupe). Lupe looks great in her new design and does anyone else think its kinda cute the way she coyly leaned on her heels when she told Sally about the decoy temples?
Arkus0
BumbleCitizen

Postby TurboTailz » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:10 pm

Arkus0 wrote:I really like seeing more Sega styled Wolf characters (wasn't really fond of the designs they had pre-reboot with the exception of Lupe). Lupe looks great in her new design and does anyone else think its kinda cute the way she coyly leaned on her heels when she told Sally about the decoy temples?

Yeah :), more character to her being youthful and can't wait to see more of it. Hope she's adventurous as well.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius