Tone of the Comics

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Tone of the Comics

Postby Duck Army » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:49 pm

Here is my analysis of the Comic's tone through the years.
Issue 1-16: Very lighthearted and humorous. Reminiscent of AoStH.
Issues 17-23: Becomes much more serious and dark. Reminiscent of SatAM.
Issues 24-159: Still dark and serious.
Issue 160- Present: Not as light as the early years, but still somewhat light and humorous. Some dark arcs pop in now and then.
Do you think this is an accurate analysis?
Duck Army
BumbleFan

Re: Tone of the Comics

Postby jazzflower92 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:00 pm

I agree with your statement.
jazzflower92
BumbleFan

Postby The KKM » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:12 pm

Why do you focus so much on everything you post on the pre-Flynn years? For one, his tenure itself has had varied tones. For another, why's this relevant anymore with the reboot?
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Duck Army » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:17 pm

The KKM wrote:Why do you focus so much on everything you post on the pre-Flynn years? For one, his tenure itself has had varied tones. For another, why's this relevant anymore with the reboot?

For one, i mentioned the varied tones, saying it was light with occasional darkness. For two, the reboot has pretty much the same tone.
For three, this isn't focusing on the pre-Flynn years.
Duck Army
BumbleFan

Postby Toby » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:46 pm

Where's the actual discussion value in this?
Toby
BumbleNoble

Postby Duck Army » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:53 pm

What you think the comic's tone was through the years.
Duck Army
BumbleFan

Postby FritzyBeat » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:31 pm

Ian's run has actually been very interesting to me, because I think he does a very good job of bouncing between tones. Some stories can be very lighthearted, adventurous, and comedic Treasure Team Tango for example, or Thicker than Water as another) and at the same time, he can totally turn the tables and dive into some much darker, and deeper stuff (The Silver Saga, etc...).

I think part of what helps that is all the different characters, and how each of them tend to lend themselves to stories of a different tone. Like for example, you likely wouldn't put Bean in a super serious no-jokes story, but you might put Silver into something more of that nature, due to his background.

I think it tends to work out pretty well. As much as people used to talk down about the Iron Dominion Arc, I actually greatly enjoyed how well it balanced all the stories that were swirling around at that time. Both serious, and more lighthearted, all the way even beyond the end of the initial arc (including stories that related back to it, like the one with Dimitri, Espio, and Knuckles, or the Nicole vs the people of New Mobotropolis, and even Snivley's story in the Scrambled arc.).

The combination of different toned stories in that one major story arc was very nice I thought~
FritzyBeat
BumbleClan

Postby Mobotropolis » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:18 pm

Do you think this is an accurate analysis?

Well no.

That's more because it isn't really an analysis. An analysis involves you explaining a concept in some form of detail rather than just telling us what you think it is. You didn't really analyse anymore more-so than just give your opinion in the form of a range.

... IN ANY CASE.

Instead of arguing over whether or not the book is " dark " ort not I'll look at this from another angle. Overall, the book has been a mix of good and bad moments for our heroes.

Major tonal shifts in the book seem to be spurred by two main things:

1. A change in the Main Writer

2. Sega pretty much demands it

Every Main Writer wrote the book a little different. So I imagine most of the tonal changes are simply because of that.

One thing worth mentioning there is that the vast majority of writers employed the use of humor even in their most serious stories. This book seemed to have an overall feeling that " Yes, it is a war. But really its not that bad. " For the most part the book seemed to avoid the darker topics of war. Every so often they would tackle a difficult subject, but I think the result of that has been mixed at best.

I keep thinking of that Dulcy story and oh-man was that bad.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby Mordum » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:21 pm

Duck Army wrote:Issues 17-23: Becomes much more serious and dark. Reminiscent of SatAM.

Why are these different if they're the same?
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Duck Army » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:49 pm

Mordum wrote:
Duck Army wrote:Issues 17-23: Becomes much more serious and dark. Reminiscent of SatAM.

Why are these different if they're the same?

Because issue 17-23 transitioned from light and humorous to dark and serious.
Duck Army
BumbleFan

Postby Mordum » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:00 pm

A-huh.

And why does 24 begin with "It is still like the previous era exactly." Are you saying a single transitional story, or a few opening transitional stories, are their own distinct time?
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby WiNTER BELLS » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:19 am

I wouldn't consider 24-159 so much "dark and serious" as I would "Drenched in excessive drama and filled with short arcs that are unnecessary, or dropped with some relevant stuff sprinkled amidst it."

It may sound harsh, but I find myself struggling as I flip through these issues to find the ones that are all that relevant to the main plot...

Kahn, Robolactus, Dulcy stuff... and a whole lot of Mina...
There's certainly some interesting things sprinkled throughout, but I find myself needing to dig.

I mean no offense to the writer, I'm just giving my 2 cents...
WiNTER BELLS
BumbleFan

Postby FritzyBeat » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:27 pm

WiNTER BELLS wrote:It may sound harsh, but I find myself struggling as I flip through these issues to find the ones that are all that relevant to the main plot...

Return to Angel Island Return to Angel Island Return to Angel Island Return to Angel Island Return to Angel Island... *shot*

If i were to talk about my favorite tone the comics ever had, it'd be that one ;P
FritzyBeat
BumbleClan

Postby Mordum » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:25 pm

WiNTER BELLS wrote:I wouldn't consider 24-159 so much "dark and serious" as I would "Drenched in excessive drama and filled with short arcs that are unnecessary, or dropped with some relevant stuff sprinkled amidst it."

There're very, very few aspects or incarnations of Sonic you could legitimately call dark, really.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby The Shadow Imperator » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:58 pm

Mordum wrote:
WiNTER BELLS wrote:I wouldn't consider 24-159 so much "dark and serious" as I would "Drenched in excessive drama and filled with short arcs that are unnecessary, or dropped with some relevant stuff sprinkled amidst it."

There're very, very few aspects or incarnations of Sonic you could legitimately call dark, really.

How about the Egg Grape Chambers?
The Shadow Imperator
BumbleFan

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius