Sonic Universe #80 Spoilers and Discussion

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Sonic Universe #80 Spoilers and Discussion

Postby NiTROACTiVE » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:55 am

This issue was good, and it had plenty of action. Seeing the beginning where Professor Von Schlemmer's presentation not going well made me feel bad for him, even though Silver revealing what he could do could have potentially caused harm. Seeing The Bits was cool since they were cute little hedgehog robots that would help out Von Schlemmer with his work, and it was also nice to see all of the professor's inventions, especially the container of the Inter-dimension Portal. Seeing how the council member with five dots on it's face was actually Gold the Tenrec in disguise was actually a nice twist that I didn't see coming. I also see she was the girl putting the thoughts through Silver's head. The fight with the guard robots was cool, but seeing the heroes lose to the villains was a shock. It was even more shocking how the Council put a mind control mask on Gold to make a portal to a different dimension to send Silver and Von Schlemmer through. But I'm sure the mind control mask will be taken off Gold in the next issue, and something tells me that Von Schlemmer and Silver might not be sent through the portal after all...... or will they? The Off-Panel was funny too. Overall, this issue was nice, and I'm real tempted to read the next issue.
User avatar
NiTROACTiVE
BumbleClan
 
Posts: 3712
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:53 pm
Location: United States

Re: Sonic Universe #80 Spoilers and Discussion

Postby linebyline » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:08 pm

EvanStanley wrote:If it helps you sleep at night, the script called for the energy restraints to be connecting to Schlemmer's little rectangular sideburn panels, not his Freakazoid stripes. The hair is indeed odd, although it does look cool.

(And there is a reason Gold's name is so obnoxiously on the nose, but it's a secret.. the clue to guess it is in the next issue)

The reason the Bits speak in binary because they're baby learning robots-- they have the physical capability for more complex vocalization, but they haven't managed to teach themselves how to actually speak yet. But they want to talk so they use the basic form of vocalization they can do, which is binary representations of letters.

Thanks for the response! Now that I think about it, I actually kind of like the hair thing. I mean, you can tell there was something off about him anyway from having the panels, and the fact that the handcuff technology is built into him just makes it clear that there's more to him than meets the eye.

And like I said, the Gold thing isn't really a big deal. I think part of me enjoys looking for things to be irritated by. (I call it "the cranky part." I think Von Schlemmer and I learned how to name things at the same school.) But if there's a good reason for it, then I guess I can forgive you. (It would help if you bribed me with donuts, though. ;) )

As for the Bits, speech recognition and speech synthesis are two different things, so I'll buy that they haven't nailed verbal communication yet. I'll just have to interpret the binary as a visual representation of dumping bits directly from memory into the sound card, or something.

Also, +1 for Freakazoid. Nostalgia!

NiTROACTiVE wrote:This issue was good, and it had plenty of action. Seeing the beginning where Professor Von Schlemmer's presentation not going well made me feel bad for him, even though Silver revealing what he could do could have potentially caused harm.

Yeah, now that you mention it, you really have to feel for the poor guy. This isn't his first time getting rejected like that, either. Seeing his emotional range (the highs of a science geek explaining stuff, the lows of humiliation and rejection) is great.

NiTROACTiVE wrote:It was even more shocking how the Council put a mind control mask on Gold to make a portal to a different dimension to send Silver and Von Schlemmer through.

You know what? That reminds me. Back before the crossover, and even in the previous issue, I thought it was awfully convenient that Silver's telekinesis just so happens to be able to close Genesis Portals. Now, we see that Gold's abilities (combined with whatever tech the council are using) can open them. You could look at this as yet more convenience: Yet another character with psychic powers that apparently have nothing to do with Genesis Portals can affect Genesis Portals for some reason.

But I'm inclined to interpret it the other way: The only two psychics we've seen are also the only two characters we've seen (unless I missed something from the crossover) with a natural ability to affect Genesis Portals. That's not a coincidence. So yeah, it's still "They can do it because they're psychic," which is a bit of a tenuous connection, but it's beginning to look like there's a more solid foundation for it and we just haven't seen the details.

It bears further study, I think. At any rate, I'm excited for the next issue.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go find a delicate laser device on eBay. Perfectly legal, I assure you.
User avatar
linebyline
BumbleKnight
 
Posts: 927
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:02 am

Re: Sonic Universe #80 Spoilers and Discussion

Postby Arkus0 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:07 am

linebyline wrote:You know what? That reminds me. Back before the crossover, and even in the previous issue, I thought it was awfully convenient that Silver's telekinesis just so happens to be able to close Genesis Portals. Now, we see that Gold's abilities (combined with whatever tech the council are using) can open them. You could look at this as yet more convenience: Yet another character with psychic powers that apparently have nothing to do with Genesis Portals can affect Genesis Portals for some reason.

But I'm inclined to interpret it the other way: The only two psychics we've seen are also the only two characters we've seen (unless I missed something from the crossover) with a natural ability to affect Genesis Portals. That's not a coincidence. So yeah, it's still "They can do it because they're psychic," which is a bit of a tenuous connection, but it's beginning to look like there's a more solid foundation for it and we just haven't seen the details.

It bears further study, I think. At any rate, I'm excited for the next issue.


It could also simply be that the Genesis Portals are naturally effected by Psychic energy or any form of energy manipulation. So its not that Silver and Gold just happen to have the power to open and close the portals, but anyone with psychic or energy manipulation abilities can control them.
User avatar
Arkus0
BumbleCitizen
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:23 pm
Location: Wales

Re: Sonic Universe #80 Spoilers and Discussion

Postby Tikikata » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:43 am

Pretty "new" fan here, though I've been interested in the comic books for many years now. Just last year was I able to start building a collection.

When I heard Silver was getting a story arc in the new universe, I was SO excited (he's my favorite character); even more so when I heard it was being written by Evan Stanley. Evan, you know Silver's character super well and it really shows in these issues!

I think I liked this part more than the first one. I love how silly Von Schlemmer is (definitely one of my new favorite non-animal characters) and Gold is pretty sweet, too. Her design reminds me of Tikal, but doesn't draw too many similarities. Kind of ironic she's telepathic; I just made a telepathic owl fan character who belongs in Silver's future, haha.

Can't wait to see what happens next. I've been buying both the regular issues and the collector covers. <3
Tikikata
BumbleNewbie
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:16 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Sonic Universe #80 Spoilers and Discussion

Postby Chameleon Guy » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:15 am

Maybe Gold can open the portals and Silver can close them, but not the other way around. That would be a nice balance.
Chameleon Guy
BumbleCitizen
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:42 am

Re: Sonic Universe #80 Spoilers and Discussion

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:22 am

Chameleon Guy wrote:Maybe Gold can open the portals and Silver can close them, but not the other way around. That would be a nice balance.

Except that during World Unite Silver opened portal for Megaman X.
User avatar
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:02 am
Location: Poland

Re: Sonic Universe #80 Spoilers and Discussion

Postby Mordum » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:42 pm

EvanStanley wrote:(And there is a reason Gold's name is so obnoxiously on the nose, but it's a secret..


Not that I'm not interested in where the story's gonna go but...there needed to be a reason besides the fact she's a Sonic character?
User avatar
Mordum
BumbleNoble
 
Posts: 1072
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:58 am

Re: Sonic Universe #80 Spoilers and Discussion

Postby linebyline » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:23 pm

Arkus0 wrote:It could also simply be that the Genesis Portals are naturally effected by Psychic energy or any form of energy manipulation. So its not that Silver and Gold just happen to have the power to open and close the portals, but anyone with psychic or energy manipulation abilities can control them.

Yeah, I'm starting to think that's where this is going.
User avatar
linebyline
BumbleKnight
 
Posts: 927
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:02 am

Re: Sonic Universe #80 Spoilers and Discussion

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:11 pm

MetalSkulkBane wrote:
Chameleon Guy wrote:Maybe Gold can open the portals and Silver can close them, but not the other way around. That would be a nice balance.

Except that during World Unite Silver opened portal for Megaman X.


Except he didn't. A Portal Opened that took him to Mega Man X's World but he didn't open it.
User avatar
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen
 
Posts: 12370
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 9:12 pm
Location: Angel Grove, CA

Re: Sonic Universe #80 Spoilers and Discussion

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:08 am

SonicBlueRanger wrote:
MetalSkulkBane wrote:
Chameleon Guy wrote:Maybe Gold can open the portals and Silver can close them, but not the other way around. That would be a nice balance.

Except that during World Unite Silver opened portal for Megaman X.


Except he didn't. A Portal Opened that took him to Mega Man X's World but he didn't open it.


And then he opened portal to Boom-verse for Hunters... which after closer looking I see they opened with help of Silver AND Sigma's own machine. Never mind, I was wrong.
User avatar
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:02 am
Location: Poland

Re: Sonic Universe #80 Spoilers and Discussion

Postby GentlemanX » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:03 am

Read parts one and two today. Good start. Evan, you're doing a good job at keeping the plot going while allowing the characters plenty of breathing time for characterization. Honestly, I also wish this was a longer story because there's clearly much more here than we've spent half our time building up. Just the opening pages of issue 79 could have been a full issue; seeing Silver living on his own in a future distopia quietly helping the people around him would have been a great start to the story. What I'm saying is this a great place for world building that it's a shame we're not seeing, at least for now. I'm honestly much more interested in a series about this place than current, present Mobius.

Art is as one would expect, in that it's Yardley and it's good because it's Yardley. He's solid so far on the more subdued action for now, but again it's Yardley. He's done all this before and done it well.

Overall, solid start and the most fun I've had with Universe post-reboot. Looking forward to more.
User avatar
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble
 
Posts: 1448
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:32 pm
Location: "i'm on a big blue ball!"

Re: Sonic Universe #80 Spoilers and Discussion

Postby linebyline » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:10 pm

It dawned on me when I re-read the story that Gold's not-quite-Poké-Ball symbol, just like Von Schlemmer's hair, is equipped with the same restraining device that's in Silver's (and most everyone else's) handcuffs gloves.

Conclusion: Having anything to do with the council is a good way to get something implanted in your head that you probably don't want implanted in your head.

Further observation: Even though Gold's clothes (both her council robe and the tunic under it) have edging that looks like Silver's gloves (which I presume indicates that the edging shares the handcuff function), and Von Schlemmer's shoulder pads appear to have the same function (despite the lack of visual similarity), both characters are instead restrained by the devices in their heads.

Speculation: The restraints are there for the specific purpose of holding the victims' heads still. Fitting Gold, and probably others (likely including Von Schlemmer), with mind-control masks is not something the council decided to do on a whim--they've planned for this.

Creepy.
User avatar
linebyline
BumbleKnight
 
Posts: 927
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:02 am

Previous

Return to This Side of Mobius



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron