Sonic Universe #80 Spoilers and Discussion

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Sonic Universe #80 Spoilers and Discussion

Postby Meliden » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:49 am

The Silver Age is continuing this week, and readers have already gotten a hold of it. Spoiler thread ahoy.

With more spoilers.

-So Schlemmer approaches the council with his plan. but they're skeptical. Schlemmer tries to prove it by showing Silver off, but he's kinda unwilling to show them given the Council's reputation, so they reject it.
-Schlemmer's down after that, but while Silver thinks on it, a mysterious voice enters his head to meet him later. He talks to Schlemmer after about it, and they make their way to his lab.
-They enter, Schlemmer insisting that he doesn't have to stay, when they're greeted by the Bits. Schlemmer, in a better mood, also shows Silver other devices he invented, the bits trialing the "Bigger Maker Machine".
-Schlemmer has a Genesis Portal in a tube, and this is where we get that flashback from the prologue but in the present form (or would that be the future form?). Silver mulls it over, we get flashbacks to two panels within the issues, and Silver takes Schlemmer to besiege the council building once again.
-Silver and Schlemmer sneak around with the neo-Swatbots (not official name), at some point with the mysterious voice guiding him again.
-Eventually the voice tells them that they can't reveal their true power because it'd doom the world, but they should know that they're an ally. THey eventually step out and reveal themselves.
-Surprise Domino-Five is Gold.
-She says that the council can't see beyond their ambition but she wants more. She suggests that they all leave...but they ain't going anywhere with the rest of the council in the way.
-They sic the Neo-Swatbots on them, so Silver has to fight them, GOld admonishing herself all the while.
-More fighting later, he's overwhelmed, and they're all taken.
-When Silver comes to, he, Schlemmer and Gold are fastened to tables by the boss gate we saw last issue. Gold wants them to believe that there's a threat on the other side, but they'll have none of it.
-Against her protests, they lower a new domino mask which is effectively a mind control device. It also gives a cool light show when it attaches. Thanks for the demo, Gold!
-Schlemmer says what they're doing isn't science but torture. They say that they exist for discovery, and that those who stand in their way will be bent to their will.
-Surprise the dark secret is that Gold can open portals. Wait, wasn't that supposed to be revealed next issue?
-The council announce the first man-made gateway through time and space, and say that Silver and Schlemmer will be the first to go in it. The last shot is of Silver and Schlemmer looking anxiously at the portal, while Gold is in the centre with the mask on.

-The off-panel is about how they are as a team. Schlemmer is the "kooky science nut", Gold is the "telepathic powerhouse" and Silver then complains that he's the one carrying the team...quite literally.

Hoo boy....
Meliden
BumbleCult

Re: Sonic Universe #80 Spoilers and Discussion

Postby TheFatPanda » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:38 am

Spoiler: show

...am I the only one who thinks that's a tad lazy on their part? It is literally the same page from the Origins story but Yardley-fied :/

Also, remember how on the cover of part 4 Silver looked like he was giant compared to Gold and VS? With the Bigger-Maker Machine I'm beginning to think its not just for artistic license...
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby SonicWindAttack » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:03 am

TheFatPanda wrote:

Also, remember how on the cover of part 4 Silver looked like he was giant compared to Gold and VS? With the Bigger-Maker Machine I'm beginning to think its not just for artistic license...

Darn, you beat me to it... oh well, I honestly wasn't expecting things to escalate this quickly. I was hoping we'd get to learn a little more about Gold before they just went and hypnotized her, but it seems to me like she has a split personality. Which is actually an interesting idea for someone with telepathic powers. I think Silver should've put up a bit more of a fight against those robots, but since they seem to be designed specifically to deal with people with powers like his, I'll let it slide. Now I see why he was so afraid of them. Overall, still a mostly build-up issue, but things are definitely heating up. Silver's deserved an adventure like this for a long time, and I can't wait to see the second half.

P.S. Does anyone actually know what the Bits are saying? I know they're speaking in binary code, but I'm too lazy to translate it myself. :P
SonicWindAttack
BumbleFan

Postby QuantamEdge » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:04 am

Had some fun with this issue. Liking how mysterious this story's been. Okay, sure, some of us kind of called it with Gold's big reveal, but I was more on the side of not thinking so. Kind of surprised either way.

I have to agree with Panda though that that page is pretty lazy, but I can't figure out how it could've been done differently besides just changing the angles a bit. Other then that I have few complaints. I do have a big question though. If Gold is a Council member that's mind controlled, then are the other members too? One of my guesses is that maybe there's another Palpatine type villain that's yet to be revealed, that Silver tries to find the mask maker in a later story. However I'm more inclined to believe that Domino 1 is the big villain than trust in that theory. Still I like how much Silver Age has me speculating, so I'd say this story is darn good so far.
QuantamEdge
BumbleKnight

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:06 am

It seems a little lazy but I guess it makes sense that this scene would be included.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:38 am

TheFatPanda wrote:

...am I the only one who thinks that's a tad lazy on their part? It is literally the same page from the Origins story but Yardley-fied :/

Lazy? It's more of a revenge on all those who said that Stanley made continuity error. "See, that scene fits here" it says :P (Called it BTW)
I would call more lazy copying 2 panels from page 3 on page 9

Anyway we finally meet that mysterious Gold everyone was babbling about in previous topic. And we still know little about her. Or those Generations Time Gates. Or the "Domino Council" (who don't leave much impression. They so cartoonisly evil)
I took the time between SU 79 and 80 to re-read Ghost of the Future Past and now I remember how Evan likes to be mysteriously vague about things. I'm not sure if I like it. :?

Best part is of course Schlemmer. He's still goof and sympathetic guy, now with cute little robots. Also, all those inventions are apparently from cartoon (not counting Bits, I think they are based on Sonic Colors).

One scene that annoyed me
Silver: Do you mind?
Gold: Yes? I mean that was my mind, but I didn't mean to yell and I'm sorry I don't deal (...)
ME: You're surrounded by enemies. Not. The. Right. Time.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby DudestofGuys » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:45 am

TheFatPanda wrote:...am I the only one who thinks that's a tad lazy on their part? It is literally the same page from the Origins story but Yardley-fied :/

It's the opposite of lazy.

It's way more difficult to copy the panel layout of someone else's work without copying their work than it is to just draw a new page with a new layout or even completely reinterpreting a previously witnessed scene (both of those being things seen in the Knuckles comic at some point). It shows a serious amount of dedication and attention to detail and recounts information from the FCBD special without either audience feeling cheated.

And besides, we had people on this very forum who were flabbergasted by the chronology here. This is a simple, elegant way of addressing it.
DudestofGuys
BumbleFan

Postby Penguin God » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:39 pm

It's a clever little bit. The issue overall is fairly nice, and having the "yes" be a mind control plot instead of just a quick gag is fairly neat (it didn't really work much as a gag on its own.) Gold looks alright, not hugely interesting but fairly interesting.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Mordum » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:16 pm

I was sold on Gold during the shpiel about not handling stress well. She is a delight.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby jm0364 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:58 pm

TheFatPanda wrote:Also, remember how on the cover of part 4 Silver looked like he was giant compared to Gold and VS? With the Bigger-Maker Machine I'm beginning to think its not just for artistic license...

"Ze Bigger Maker Machine"?........ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7OwvDVRR4I
jm0364
BumbleCitizen

Postby NxtWaltDisney » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:27 pm

Can I just say that this is becoming one of the best SU arcs since the reboot? :mrgreen:
NxtWaltDisney
BumbleClan

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:26 pm

MetalSkulkBane wrote:
TheFatPanda wrote:

Lazy? It's more of a revenge on all those who said that Stanley made continuity error. "See, that scene fits here" it says :P

seriously, now Mav doesn't have to bring it up every time he posts about Genesis Portals or Worlds Unite or This Arc
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby SonicWindAttack » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:31 pm

Mr.Unsmiley wrote:
MetalSkulkBane wrote:
TheFatPanda wrote:

Lazy? It's more of a revenge on all those who said that Stanley made continuity error. "See, that scene fits here" it says :P

seriously, now Mav doesn't have to bring it up every time he posts about Genesis Portals or Worlds Unite or This Arc

That seems rather uncalled for.
SonicWindAttack
BumbleFan

Postby Sam Z.G. » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:35 pm

Well Silver, you have now your cast of characters. The crazy Prof. and the Chick. Now you just need a car and a bully...

Good stuff as always guys.
Sam Z.G.
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:45 pm

DudestofGuys wrote:
TheFatPanda wrote:...am I the only one who thinks that's a tad lazy on their part? It is literally the same page from the Origins story but Yardley-fied :/

It's the opposite of lazy.

It's way more difficult to copy the panel layout of someone else's work without copying their work than it is to just draw a new page with a new layout or even completely reinterpreting a previously witnessed scene (both of those being things seen in the Knuckles comic at some point). It shows a serious amount of dedication and attention to detail and recounts information from the FCBD special without either audience feeling cheated.

And besides, we had people on this very forum who were flabbergasted by the chronology here. This is a simple, elegant way of addressing it.

40,000 brownie points for putting it better than I could.*

*brownie points cannot be redeemed for anything, but hey, you made me smile.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius