Best and Worst Sonic songs.

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Best and Worst Sonic songs.

Postby Rubiks » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:14 am

A lot of the songs suffer from lame lyrics, I find the worst offenders are the Knuckles songs from SA2. Despite owning the soundtrack, I refuse to upload them to iTunes.
Seven rings in hand is a great song.
His world is fantastic in all the many different forms.
Escape from the city is joy, dat bass
The vocal tracks from Sonic CD Japan soundtrack are awesome. At first I thought they were silly, but now I love them
Rubiks
BumbleFan

Postby SonicSoul » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:58 am

Aw, man I'm not even sure I can list any and every song I like that have already been mentioned. Nor can I recall any songs that didn't stick with me.

Though definite favorites of mine would have to be:

With Me. Just a super-rocking song that's about the clash between two strong ideals between Merlina, who clings to her one-sided sadness to eternalize (yeah I made that up) an entire kingdom and Sonic, who fights for ensuring the kingdom and story of King Arthur reaches it's proper end. Crush 40 version is equally as good.

Worth A Chance. I kind of feel Live Life has kind of overshadowed this little gem. Whereas Live Life was uplifting in it's message about enjoying life while you have it, this one takes more of a bittersweet, and 'what could've been' theme. It's especially sad when you get the implications of the previous relationship between Sharaha and Erazor and seems to be sung from Erazor's POV if, yunno, he wasn't as big of a jerk to her throughout the game. And Steven Conte just sells that regretful, almost aching tone to the song.

Endless Possibilities. I pretty much like any main Sonic theme song. His World, Knight of the Wind, both versions of It Doesn't Matter, but this one will always be my favorite. Mostly because it's one of my more personal ones. Unleashed was announced before my senior year in high school and theme just captured the immense possibilities of what could happen once I graduated. It just came at a important time in my life, is what I'm saying. Plus, it's just so upbeat and positive, much like Sonic himself, and I just can't help but smile as soon as I hear it start.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby TheFatPanda » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:37 am

Is it bad that (with the exception of "I Am") I honestly never cared for any of the Shadow the Hedgehog songs? The only other song from there I like is "All Hail Shadow", but only if it's the Crush 40 version from 06.

Crush 40, for me, actually make quite a few songs I never cared for more awesome. If I have to listen to "Seven Rings in Hand", then the Crush 40 one is the go-to for me. Same with "Free".

Oh, and I love "Reach for the Stars". And the Sonic R soundtrack. Come at me bro's.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby DoNotDelete » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:44 am

Ungravitify is probably my favourite, but I like the Sonic CD intro and ending music - I guess the American versions?
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby BlazeHeatnix » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:44 am

TheFatPanda wrote:Is it bad that (with the exception of "I Am") I honestly never cared for any of the Shadow the Hedgehog songs? The only other song from there I like is "All Hail Shadow", but only if it's the Crush 40 version from 06.

Not even E.G.G.M.A.N. (Doc. Robeatnik Mix)?
BlazeHeatnix
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:51 am

Mordum wrote:I find the Sonic R soundtrack delightful.

TheFatPanda wrote:Oh, and I love "Reach for the Stars". And the Sonic R soundtrack. Come at me bro's.

personally I feel anyone who isn't all about the Sonic R soundtrack is in this franchise for all the wrong reasons
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby Mordum » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:56 am

Mr.Unsmiley wrote:
Mordum wrote:I find the Sonic R soundtrack delightful.

TheFatPanda wrote:Oh, and I love "Reach for the Stars". And the Sonic R soundtrack. Come at me bro's.

personally I feel anyone who isn't all about the Sonic R soundtrack is in this franchise for all the wrong reasons

This guy knows what's up.

Rubiks wrote:A lot of the songs suffer from lame lyrics, I find the worst offenders are the Knuckles songs from SA2.

The Knuckles songs are the best worst raps.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby FritzyBeat » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:05 pm

Being a musician myself, I have a loooot of respect for the effort they've put into Sonic's soundtrack. They really went the extra mile in creating so many individual theme songs for characters and such, and I absolutely love it.

It absolutely broke my heart after Generations when I realized they weren't going to be using any of those bands and musicians I'd come to know and live. Like, what's a Sonic Game without Crush 40 rockin' the main tune? or Tony Powell singing a ridiculously upbeat song about Sonic (or escaping from certain cities) *shot*
Julien K and Evet Bradley singing an intense song about Shadow, Bentley Jones covering and remixing like every sonic song ever (not to mention Silver's Theme), Cash Cash on Generations and Colours (yes I love the Colours themes, sue me)... I LOVED that entourage of bands they always had, and the various characters they tended to be assigned to (there were a bunch of other musicians too I know, I can't even name them all X3).

That being said, I personally fell in love with all those theme songs the most. And I really can't pick just one among them, cause they all bring back so many memories.

If I REALLY had to pick a worst sonic song though? ONLY among the vocal songs (cause doing the stage themes would take too long XD) then I'd say that weird Akon rap from Sonic 06 :P
FritzyBeat
BumbleClan

Postby Azul » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:26 pm

In regards to the Zones, I don't think anything can top Jun Senoue's master pieces.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby FritzyBeat » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:32 pm

Azul wrote:In regards to the Zones, I don't think anything can top Jun Senoue's master pieces.

They are, without a doubt, incredible works of art :'D
FritzyBeat
BumbleClan

Postby BlazeHeatnix » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:51 pm

Azul wrote:In regards to the Zones, I don't think anything can top Jun Senoue's master pieces.

Jun Senoue is hit or miss for me. On one hand you got Sonic 3D Blast, the best 16-bit Sonic OST of all time. But then he made Sonic 4's music, all of which was pretty abysmal.

I'm more partial to Masato Nakamura's themes, since he set the standard for what Sonic music should be, and his tunes are just classic. I wish the title theme of Sonic 1&2 would make a return to being Sonic's main theme.
BlazeHeatnix
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:59 pm

when Jun's at his best, like say Green Forest from Adventure 2, it is dang good, but when he's not so hot, like say pretty much all the Eggman stages in the same game, I think he can be topped pretty easily. Ohtani Tomoya's work is a lot more consistent I think, and his best, like say Rooftop Run, is just as good as Jun's. I also really like how versatile and long-standing Kumatani Fumie's stuff is (from the industrial Shadow themes in Adventure 2 to the whimsical NiGHTS into Dreams soundtrack) and Hataya Naofumi will always be respected for the Sonic CD stuff
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby Azul » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:19 pm

FritzyBeat wrote:

They are, without a doubt, incredible works of art :'D

That's what I'm saying!

BlazeHeatnix wrote:Jun Senoue is hit or miss for me. On one hand you got Sonic 3D Blast, the best 16-bit Sonic OST of all time. But then he made Sonic 4's music, all of which was pretty abysmal.

I'm more partial to Masato Nakamura's themes, since he set the standard for what Sonic music should be, and his tunes are just classic. I wish the title theme of Sonic 1&2 would make a return to being Sonic's main theme.

Huh, didn't knos JS did the sound track for S4. I'll agree with you in that the sound track was absolute trash. However, I'm really more partial to his SA2 works.
Mr.Unsmiley wrote:when Jun's at his best, like say Green Forest from Adventure 2, it is dang good, but when he's not so hot, like say pretty much all the Eggman stages in the same game, I think he can be topped pretty easily. Ohtani Tomoya's work is a lot more consistent I think, and his best, like say Rooftop Run, is just as good as Jun's. I also really like how versatile and long-standing Kumatani Fumie's stuff is (from the industrial Shadow themes in Adventure 2 to the whimsical NiGHTS into Dreams soundtrack) and Hataya Naofumi will always be respected for the Sonic CD stuff

Oh snap on a wrap, I forgot to include Roof Top Run. Its so gosh darn catchy. And CD did have a very impressive sound track. I'm not familiar with NiGHTS having never played a game.

Also, I definitely disagree with your choice JS's modus operandi. I think his peak piece would be the Metal Harbor theme, but to each man his own.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:39 pm

Azul wrote:
Mr.Unsmiley wrote:when Jun's at his best, like say Green Forest from Adventure 2, it is dang good, but when he's not so hot, like say pretty much all the Eggman stages in the same game, I think he can be topped pretty easily. Ohtani Tomoya's work is a lot more consistent I think, and his best, like say Rooftop Run, is just as good as Jun's. I also really like how versatile and long-standing Kumatani Fumie's stuff is (from the industrial Shadow themes in Adventure 2 to the whimsical NiGHTS into Dreams soundtrack) and Hataya Naofumi will always be respected for the Sonic CD stuff

Oh snap on a wrap, I forgot to include Roof Top Run. Its so gosh darn catchy. And CD did have a very impressive sound track. I'm not familiar with NiGHTS having never played a game.

Also, I definitely disagree with your choice JS's modus operandi. I think his peak piece would be the Metal Harbor theme, but to each man his own.

I think you mean magnum opus. I'm not saying Green Forest is his very best track, just an example of when he's in peak form and the first one that came to mind. Metal Harbor also fits that particular bill, yeah
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby Kevin160nitroncaron3 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:24 pm

I don't like the late 90s Sonic R songs.

What if Aerosmith and Soundgarden did some Sonic songs? Would they sound high quality or terrible?
Kevin160nitroncaron3
BumbleCitizen

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius