Hope Kintobor based on a game character?

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Hope Kintobor based on a game character?

Postby diamonddeath » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:45 pm

So, I was watching ProJared's review of Sonic Adventure 2 over at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgG--74XExY and noticed at 11:26, there appears a young girl with blonde hair, blue eyes, a pink shirt, overalls... you get the idea. The girl looks exactly like Hope Kintobor, and I can't help but wonder if that makes her a video game character owned by Sega rather than a comic exclusive character. Given the comics gave her a name and actually expanded on her, her design was straight from a Sonic game. Still, one can say the same thing about Evil Sonic/Scourge, and it doesn't look like we'll ever see him again because of legal issues. Any thoughts? With this revelation, is it likely we can ever revisit this character who looked exactly like Hope? Is there really any point? I suppose if a worthy story can be built around it. Any thoughts?
diamonddeath
BumbleNoble

Re: Hope Kintobor based on a game character?

Postby Gonzo » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:03 pm

Memory could be faulty, but I'm pretty sure that Hope's existence actually predates SA2 (if her debut issue wasn't released before then, she was almost certainly planned out months in advance).
Gonzo
BumbleKnight

Postby BlazeHeatnix » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:05 pm

Copyrighted characters don't work that way. Hope appeared in the comics before SA2 was ever released (#92, January 2001) and didn't have the design you're thinking of until Ian's run. So while there's a chance that random girl influenced her redesign, the answer you're looking for is no. Even if Hope came after SA2's release, there's really no basis for her being a Sega character.
BlazeHeatnix
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mobotropolis » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:39 pm

Hope debuted January 2001.
Sonic Adventure 2 released June 2001.

Apparently Archie's SA2 Adaption was unexpected, mandated, rushed, and actually threw the regular book's schedule off slightly. I'm sure if they knew that they actually had to adapt SA2 they wouldn't have left it for a single issue, have sent Amy off to Mercia, had put Sonic under House Arrest, or any number of things that made adapting the game as awkward as it was.

I also find it kind of hard to believe that someone on the creative team would notice a little blonde haired girl that had no dialogue or bearing on the story and decide to make her a significant character and in the same breathe not notice that Maria, an important character who got about three times the screen time, was not actually a brunette.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby TheFatPanda » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:10 am

I could've sworn this very theory was brought up here before...
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby Spin » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:43 pm

Even if she was, which she's not as mentioned already. Karl Bollers namedropped her as a character he owns specifically.

And as we all know with Scourge, Archie isn't going to risk trouble by shooting for a character with questionable ownership issues.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby TheFatPanda » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:49 pm

It's incredibly easy to see why Hope being based on the girl is not the case. When they worked on the adaptation all they had as source material was the demo that came with PSO (and, I'm assuming, a few tidbits from Sega about Shadow).

They didn't even know this girl existed at the time, let alone noticed her.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby BlazeHeatnix » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:53 pm

TheFatPanda wrote:It's incredibly easy to see why Hope being based on the girl is not the case. When they worked on the adaptation all they had as source material was the demo that came with PSO (and, I'm assuming, a few tidbits from Sega about Shadow).

You can make an argument for the redesign used in Ian's run possibly being based on her though. Sonic artists are no stranger to obscure references.
BlazeHeatnix
BumbleCitizen

Postby TheFatPanda » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:10 pm

BlazeHeatnix wrote:
TheFatPanda wrote:It's incredibly easy to see why Hope being based on the girl is not the case. When they worked on the adaptation all they had as source material was the demo that came with PSO (and, I'm assuming, a few tidbits from Sega about Shadow).

You can make an argument for the redesign used in Ian's run possibly being based on her though. Sonic artists are no stranger to obscure references.

Yeah I don't see any resemblance.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby Spin » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:19 pm

Good thing this isn't Felidae culture.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby Azul » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:59 pm

Hope doesn't even look like that girl depicted. Like, at all.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby linebyline » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:04 pm

The color scheme is there (except for the overalls) but the facial structure is totally different. I can see Hope's redesign being a stealth homage to SA2 Reaction Shot Girl, but that's about the extent of it. (Even that doesn't mean there actually was such an homage. We'd have to ask our dear creatives. My guess is it's a coincidence.)
linebyline
BumbleKnight

Postby The KKM » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:40 pm

The colour scheme isn't actually there, that's just the lighting in that panel- she's orange and black, SA2 gal is pink and blue.

It's likely just a coincidence, Hope likely got the overalls due to being a mechanic.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:52 pm

Even for an obscure reference lover like Ian that does seem like a bit of a stretch. I always thought that Hope's mechanic outfit resembled the Mario Bros., though of course without the hat, gloves, or facial hair.
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Postby Toby » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:18 pm

She's a grease monkey wearing Eggman's color scheme.
Toby
BumbleNoble

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius