How should a second Encyclopedia be handled?

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

How should a second Encyclopedia be handled?

Postby TheFatPanda » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:12 pm

Also, when do you personally think would be the right time to get another one out? I'd say in at least 2 or 3 more years myself.

How do you think it would be formatted, and what stuff would it cover?

-The Freedom Fighters (the current incarnation of the team including Cream and Big)
-Knuckles and his heritage (including the Knuckles Clan and Tikal and Chaos)
-Allies (Team Chaotix, other freedom fighter teams if any, Mighty and Ray, etc.)
-Mobian territories and their inhabitants.
-Team Dark and GUN.
-Kingdom of Acorn (King Acorn, potentially shedding light on this "Queen Nicole")
-Alien Races (Black Arms, Wisps, etc.)
-Eggman Empire (Eggman himself, his lackies, the Egg Army, etc.)
-The Multiverse (a page dedicated to the Sol Zone, the Sonic Boom universe, and maybe even brief write-ups for the SEGA worlds seen in Worlds Unite)
-Artifacts and terminology (Chaos Emeralds, rings, red star rings, Genesis Wave and Genesis Portals, etc.)
-Super forms.
-Dark and Light Gaia, Gaia Temples, etc.
-Articles and characters and elements on the games that have happened (Time Eater, Solaris, Little Planet, etc.) and maybe even ones that haven't happened yet (Lost Hex and Deadly 6)
-New maps of Mobius and Angel Island
-New Mobius timeline?
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Re: How should a second Encyclopedia be handled?

Postby DudestofGuys » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:18 pm

I think the next one could stand to flesh out Rotor's bio a litt
DudestofGuys
BumbleFan

Postby Meliden » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:23 pm

I wouldn't expect it for at least another half-decade, to be honest. Two, even three years isn't a lot to get stuff done in comic time, especially when a lot of that will be the Unleashed arc for the foreseeable future.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby TheFatPanda » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:33 pm

Meliden wrote:I wouldn't expect it for at least another half-decade, to be honest. Two, even three years isn't a lot to get stuff done in comic time, especially when a lot of that will be the Unleashed arc for the foreseeable future.

To be fair the new universe already has a lot of unseen history to it thanks to the games happening.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby ReifuTD » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:36 pm

I think Archie could do a new book now, They're adding plenty of new character like Eggbosses and stuff, then you have new locations. Would like to see something that explains how the game events where adapted and folded into this new timeline, Maybe in a report or novelized format.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby Tonberry2k » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:07 pm

DudestofGuys wrote:I think the next one could stand to flesh out Rotor's bio a litt

Underrated comment. I laughed.

Anyway, a second one should just ignore the old stuff and start with the post-crossover world.
Tonberry2k
BumbleNoble

Postby ChaosJam » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:13 pm

TheFatPanda wrote:
Meliden wrote:I wouldn't expect it for at least another half-decade, to be honest. Two, even three years isn't a lot to get stuff done in comic time, especially when a lot of that will be the Unleashed arc for the foreseeable future.

To be fair the new universe already has a lot of unseen history to it thanks to the games happening.

Agreed. There are "years" of continuity that have already "happened" from the point of view of the characters that we haven't seen yet. Would be a great way for Ian to lock stuff down and answer any questions so he can focus on future stories instead of adding history bits here and there. I think he said he had pretty much the major timeline planned out for the most part. So he has the material.
And if there is an argument for stuff not being touched upon yet, the Nerb Freedom Fighters (the biggest loss of the reboot IMO :D ) were a complete surprise when the first Encyclopedia came out.
ChaosJam
BumbleNoble

Postby SimonSays » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:15 pm

I'd be okay with something that covered fewer individual subjects, but spent more time on each. You know, instead of a page/part of a page for each thing, give it two or more that go a little more in depth. That'd be an okay way to handle not having as much stuff in the new continuity. The best part about the old encyclopedia was the new details it hinted at.
SimonSays
BumbleNoble

Postby The Shadow Imperator » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:27 pm

DudestofGuys wrote:I think the next one could stand to flesh out Rotor's bio a litt

For the record they already fixed this in the second edition.
The Shadow Imperator
BumbleFan

Postby DudestofGuys » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:15 pm

I know. Just saying a little proofreading never hurts.
DudestofGuys
BumbleFan

Postby Ian PK » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:02 pm

What I want:
    -Full bios for Sonic & the Main FF (Tails, Sally, Rotor, Antoine, Bunnie, maybe Cream)*
    -Full bios for big game characters, i.e. Knuckles, Shadow (maybe not Silver since his story so far is really just Rivals 2 and the new SU arc)*
    -A summary for the events prior to #252, maybe even including game screenshots to make it clear that parts of that game occured (this would basically be the new "Mobius Timeline")
    -Perhaps a concept art section for the reboot's redesigns?
    -Pretty much everything else everybody has listed
*By "full bios" I mean a more extended look at the character and their history. 2-3 pages as opposed to 1/2-1 page.
Keep in mind I never did get the original encyclopedia, so I don't know if some of these things would be a given. Sorry if that's the case.
As for when it should come out, I honestly think anytime would be fine. It's not "too early" since we have so much backstory that's never really been seen, and that alone could take up a whole encyclopedia. Releasing a bit farther into the new universe wouldn't be a bad idea, either, though.
Ian PK
BumbleCitizen

Postby Penguin God » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:18 pm

I actually never saw much need for an Encyclopedia, personally. Never did get around to the first one.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Matt7325 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:42 pm

I don't want one for at least ten years. Let the comics tell the story and do some serious world-building before we feel the need to summarise it.
Matt7325
BumbleKnight

Postby Antiyonder » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:11 pm

At the very least, I'd say maybe do an updated edition of the first release to cover everything just before Worlds Collide.
Antiyonder
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mobotropolis » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:31 pm

Two years from now we might be laying the foundation for the second arch -- or in the Third Crossover. I don't know. Either way, I think it's too soon for another book.

Also, consider that the original book spent about five years under development. Between delays, editing errors, factual errors, the book already being outdated when it hit shelves, and it becoming completely obsolete about six months later I have to question the value of such a book. Not only for the consumer, but for the people who will take time to put this all together.

Instead, I would like to see something more akin to Data Files being produced more frequently.We have an arch and then we get a profile for some of the characters involved and maybe some background about the setting and lore involved.

For the book so far ...

Coundown to Chaos - Sonic/Tails, Rotor/Antoine, Bunnie/Nicole, Sally/Amy
Damage Control - GUN/The United Federation
The Chase - Professor Pickle/Uncle Chuck
Waves of Change - Razor, Coral, Pearly, Kingdom of Meropis
Control - Mighty/Ray, Moss/Thunderbolt
Ambushed - Dr. Eggman/Orbot and Cubot, Cream/Big
Champions - Breezie/SSSS, Team Hooligan, Team Chaotix, Honey/Nack

Pirate Plunder Panic - Blaze, Marine, Bean, Bark
Shadow Fall - Shadow, Rouge, Omega, Team Dark
The Great Chaos Caper - Knuckles, Vector, Charmy, Espio
Total Eclipse - Eclipse, The Dark Arms, Relic/Fixit, Snivley

1-2 pages an issue dedicated to giving some context/backstory for people who want it. Maybe in 5 years or so they can gather all the Data Files Together, make minor updates, and publish it in a companion book.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius