Think we'd get a redesigned Speedy?

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Think we'd get a redesigned Speedy?

Postby ReifuTD » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:30 am

Well with Wendy Witchcart in the comics witch was on of the things I really wanted to see happen. Next two top things on my want to see happen list Temple Beasts from Sonic Unleashed witch looks like something that might happen. The second being a redesigned Speedy.

In the comics before the reboot Speedy appeared as a green bird in a metal dipper thing. At first glances that kind of matched his game sprite but as many people has pointed close examination of sprite and game art Speedy is actually a white bird in a green helmet and green vest. With the reboot it could be possible to redesigned Speedy like with so many other characters. I kind of think that Archie's original design may have give the character a disservice since how a character looks may effect written. So, I'm curious if a redesign change anything about his character.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Re: Think we'd get a redesigned Speedy?

Postby Meliden » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:47 am

Even without the distinction between what's feathers and what's armour, game Speedy has an air of...seriousness around him (I would say dignity, but there's only so much you can have in that armour).

Pre-reboot Archie Speedy is diapered duck Jet. Even without the comparison to his game self, it's overdone.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Xeric » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:43 am

I think the main 3 battlebirds need redesigned. Clearly not much research was done into their designs when they were initially redesigned for the Tails Arc.

Speedy is clearly a white bird with peach coloured arms/wings, with green armour. It's not as obvious on his only existing piece of official SEGA art, but it's noticeable on his in-game sprites.

I hate to use someone else's art, but the way Drawloverlala redesigned him really captures what he probably should look like. I know they can't use this exact design, but something along these lines would be amazing.
Xeric
BumbleKnight

Postby Vampfox » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:15 pm

Am I the only one who likes Speedys Archie Sonic design better then his Sega Sonic design? I don't see any real reason to give him a redesign.
Vampfox
BumbleCult

Postby Penguin God » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:10 pm

They're pretty equal with me. I like the Grand Battle Kukku more really, as long as he's still his absurd huge self I'm fine either way.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby ReifuTD » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:41 pm

Meliden wrote:Even without the distinction between what's feathers and what's armour, game Speedy has an air of...seriousness around him (I would say dignity, but there's only so much you can have in that armour).

If you look at the helmet as a crown I'll say he could be given plenty of dignity. The Archie Speedy comes off as an angry kid with daddy issues, I see Speedy as someone who like a prince or knight, a daring person to ride a jet pack a Hal Jordan type. Someone who sees himself and is a hero in his own corner of the world after all he's a leader of men. Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing some Archie Speedy's rage but with a character that has this kind of self Dignity. Dignity and rage can a scary combination.

Xeric wrote:I think the main 3 battlebirds need redesigned. Clearly not much research was done into their designs when they were initially redesigned for the Tails Arc.

Speedy is clearly a white bird with peach coloured arms/wings, with green armour. It's not as obvious on his only existing piece of official SEGA art, but it's noticeable on his in-game sprites.

Spoiler: show

I hate to use someone else's art, but the way Drawloverlala redesigned him really captures what he probably should look like. I know they can't use this exact design, but something along these lines would be amazing.

From how the game art looks to me I would make the Speedy's rear large and his chest skinny. I would put yellow or tan sleeves and gloves on his arms. I think Speedy maybe wearing a flight jacket well that green vest is part of the jet pack gear he uses to fly.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby Pengi » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:43 pm

I hope so. This topic has come up a few times. But yes, white bird with a green vest and helmet is what the game was going for. He also has some kind of jetpack on his back if you look very closely at his sprite when he's spinning, which is how he flies without flapping his wings.

The previous Archie design looked too similar to Bean and the "diaper" looked dumb.

ReifuTD wrote:If you look at the helmet as a crown I'll say he could be given plenty of dignity. The Archie Speedy comes off as an angry kid with daddy issues, I see Speedy as someone who like a prince or knight, a daring person to ride a jet pack a Hal Jordan type. Someone who sees himself and is a hero in his own corner of the world after all he's a leader of men. Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing some Archie Speedy's rage but with a character that has this kind of self Dignity. Dignity and rage can a scary combination.

I agree with the dignity part. He's from a lineage that's passed down the same name for 16 generations and is the second in command of a large army purely due to birthright.

I disagree with the knight part though. A knight is sworn to somebody else's cause. Speedy is aristocracy - others exist to serve him and maintain his station in life. The idea of him seeing himself as a hero rings false too - he's an aristocratic, high ranking military official and heir to the "throne". His army attacks foreign nations purely for the cause of spreading his family's great empire. It's more likely that he'd just plain think himself better than other people. Better than all the peasants and foreigners.
Pengi
BumbleCitizen

Postby BlazeHeatnix » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:06 pm

Xeric wrote:I hate to use someone else's art, but the way Drawloverlala redesigned him really captures what he probably should look like. I know they can't use this exact design, but something along these lines would be amazing.

I dunno, that Grand Kukku redesign looks too "Modern Eggman"-ish.
BlazeHeatnix
BumbleCitizen

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:28 pm

I don't quite get why everyone gets so worked up over Speedy's design-it's like the Witchcart thing going on over in the StH #276 thread. The graphics of Tails Adventure were so limited that it's hard to really get a good look at Speedy-Archie's interpretation of a green bird with a funky flight harness seems just as valid to me as what appears to be a swan wearing a green helmet and vest. Given that Speedy showed up in Tails' old reality flashbacks with his Archie design, I find it kinda doubtful that he'd be so drastically redesigned at this point. Honestly, the Battle Lord could use one in my opinion, but that's only because he looks hideous.

I'm actually curious to see how the staff interprets the "Witchcarters," who I think we can all safely assume are Wendy's minions from Skypatrol. Otherwise, most of the video game characters I can think of either have modern designs or aren't usable for one reason or another. I will admit, I'm kinda curious as to whether Akhlut is going to be bipedalized so he fits in with the other undersea Mobians of the reboot era.
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:46 am

I would say that the green speedy is viable, if it wasn't so bloody obvious in the official art that his green "forehead" has a chin strap dangling from the back of it. He's obviously wearing a green helmet
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby The KKM » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:17 am

His later boss appearance does throw a wrench into things, as it does appear to show a green torso. But then the artwork seems to show a white belly, without question. So maybe he DOES wear metal diapers, but they're actually green and only when he's being a big bad boss?

Anyways I'd like the entire Battle Kukku to have a general redesign. Gain more of a specific faction aesthetic with mechanics more like what they have in the game, that kind of late 80's feel.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby ReifuTD » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:06 am

I always assumed Speedy puts on more armor as he's encountered in the game, then again his father the Battle Kukku seems to be fully clothed so who know if we are really seeing his feather colors. The only clue could be Battle Kukku who has they white plumage, but that could still be part of his clothing.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:10 am

The question is, why did they design a character and not have any documents on how the character should look? Did they just give the spriters that one piece of art that shows absolutely nothing, or is there art that's been lost?
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Meliden » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:16 am

SEGA don't mandate them, but at the same time they'll probably not provide resources for them because they're not what they want Archie to include. All the resource collating and interpretation (well, most at least) will be done by the creative team.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby The KKM » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:23 am

Additionally, I've my doubts SEGA has any material whatsoever on these characters. I imagine any creative material about them, should it still exist, stayed with Aspect (for Adventures) or SIMS (for Sky Patrol).

As far as I can tell, both were semi-independent companies who worked for SEGA alone but were separate; additionally, both seem to have gone independent in the last few years.

If I had to guess, concept art of the games was filed in a different place than Sonic Team material, and may have been moved out of SEGA's reach by this point. In that case, if Archie asked for references, SEGA'd need to go out of their way to get them.

Alternatively, concept art and sketches and whatnot may've stayed with the artists. In that case, things actually get a bit brighter- the two men listed as "artists" in Adventures were actually in Sonic Team!, and Nobuhiko Honda still remains there! Shinichi Higashi doesn't, though. Google shows a successful photographer under this name, no idea if it's the same person.

As for Sky Patrol, our men are... under pseudonyms. So you'd need to figure out who "Mt. Emerald" and "Show" are.

Even if you did, you'd then need to locate them, whatever the company they're at may be.

This is the kind of work you do for academic purposes, or for an art book. Not for a monthly American comic book :P
The KKM
BumbleClan

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius