Coooool!

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Coooool!

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:44 pm

I'm afraid that this will spiral into "Sonic has no depth" debate, but I'll risk anyway.

One of Sonic's selling points suppose to be fact that he's cool. But what that even means? Having large ego? Acting in not seriousness way? The more I think about it the more unsure I am in how I would like Sonic to behave (again, I'm talking about surface characterization, not his depth). I'm usually okay with the way Flynn characterizes him, but sometimes Sonic feels too... commentary if you know what I mean.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Re: Coooool!

Postby BlazeHeatnix » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:36 pm

Sonic has attitude. Doesn't listen to anybody, is totally confident in everything he does, doesn't care about girls, and only makes friends with the ones that can keep up with him.

Sonic was invented in 1991, where this behavior was typical of the average American teenager at the time. Kids see him as a role model and someone they want to grow up to be, teenagers see him as someone they relate to in several ways, and adults see him as juvenile and immature, but rather than see this as a bad thing, to most fans it becomes cute and nostalgic.
BlazeHeatnix
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mordum » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:37 pm

He's a soullessly constructed corporate attempt at being punk rock, just rebellious and doing-his-own-thang enough to be appealing to kids but also safe enough that he won't actually inspire much in the way of what all those movements he's co-opting means. His coolness has to do with him being his own thing and constantly fighting authority, as represented through Teddy Roosevelt turning chipmunks into robocops, and nothing appeals to kids more than a kid/teen character being rewarded for not listening to adults.

Sonic at his best is an ultimately nice guy who sees the right thing to do as either directly opposed to, or at worst not dictated by, the will of older authority figures around him.

The fact he doesn't need authority is what makes him "cool", especially with his core demographic. But he's also safe enough, ultimately being constructed BY an authority-level conglomerate, that his stories will never likely get dangerous enough to become alienating. His coolness, such as it is, isn't just rebelliousness: it's the exact level of rebelliousness. The gleeful illusion of rebelliousness, not real rebelliousness, and thus a true fantasy.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Mobotropolis » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:41 pm

The thing about being " Cool " is that what defines Cool changes over time. The type of things that worked for Sonic in the 90s will make him look dated today. Modern Sonic/Archie Sonic seems to lean a bit on Meme culture which works because it's relevant to the younger generation today, but will be outdated by the end of the current decade. Trends blow up and die out fast, especially in the age of the Internet where something that went viral on Monday could be old-news by Saturday.

I kind of characterize Sonic in the other direction because of it, but that might also be my dislike for the character speaking. Sonic is purposely obnoxious in his attempts to be " Cool ". His uncanny ability to irritate others, even his friends, is meant to be endearing. Even though his is obnoxious and at times an outright jerk he actually cares about his friends and wants to do what believes is the right thing ... which may not necessarily be the right thing, but it's the thought that counts.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:51 pm

This sums it up perfectly:

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:05 am

Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with how Sonic's portrayed. He's arrogant, He can be Obnoxious and in your face and he's kind of a jerk. Translation He's finally the 90's Mascot with an attitude we were told he was.

I'm serious I love how Sonic is portrayed under Pontac and Graff because while there is all that stuff he clearly still cares. I know people are going to go "Um no he doesn't because he makes dumb jokes" but he does. In Colors he was trying to talk Tails out of his mind controlled state becesue he was worried about his buddy and he pushes Tails into the elevator to make sure he didn't get caught in the blast. I Lost World he clearly realized he made a huge mistake destroying the conch and hated himself for what he did.

And then there's the comic's where I'd argue Ian Flynn has always wrote Sonic just like Pontac and Graff but especially with the reboot. One of the first things that showed me Sonic wasn't just a Weapon or a good solider for the Kingdom of Acorn in the Reboot was the scene in Damage Control. Sonic declares that he would grab every person they saved and attempt to run them to safety. Then after his first Werehog episode he choses to stay and get a handle on it and not put the people he loves in danger.

Yes Sonic is an ego driven jerk who focuses on a "Cool" attitude but under all that there's a great character that no one ever seems to take the time to realize is there because they're always focusing on "Ugh he said Baldy Nosehair again" or something along those lines.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby DoNotDelete » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:20 am

I don't really see him as 'The hedgehog with attitude' anymore - at least in the Archie comics I don't notice him mouthing off enough to make him seem as obnoxious as he has been portrayed in other mediums.

Archie Sonic just seems to be a generally upbeat guy who doesn't let the Eggman grind him down and does his best to help out his friends.

That's enough for me. He's alright.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby Azul » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:41 am

What I initially found most appealing about Sonic was that he wasn't your typical super hero clad in spandex with bulging muscles. The approach to plat form gaming, the objective use of rings as not only a score raiser but as a life support system, the emeralds. Basically, in a world of aggressive conformity, Sonic wasn't afraid to be different and that is the ultimate rebel cool.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby Mordum » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:25 pm

I like to imagine Sonic in a tuxedo t-shirt.

Because it's like he's saying, y'know, I wanna be formal. But I came here to party.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Azul » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:06 am

Mordum wrote:I like to imagine Sonic in a tuxedo t-shirt.

Because it's like he's saying, y'know, I wanna be formal. But I came here to party.

This guy's onto something.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby FritzyBeat » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:27 am

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:This sums it up perfectly:

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

But it clearly won't happen to Sonic ;P
FritzyBeat
BumbleClan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:30 pm

FritzyBeat wrote:

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Sonic: No way, man! We are going to be rocking forever...
Present day. Sonic looks at himself in mirror.
Sonic {depressed}:...forever...forever.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Azul » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:59 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:
FritzyBeat wrote:

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Yeash man, way to darken up the mood.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby FritzyBeat » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:08 pm

Azul wrote:
LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:
FritzyBeat wrote:

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Really? Cause honestly, I couldn't stop laughing after reading that XDDDD
Bravo Nytetrayn~
FritzyBeat
BumbleClan

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:48 am

Azul wrote:
LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:
FritzyBeat wrote:

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Dude that's the rest of the joke. :(hearty laughter):
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Return to This Side of Mobius