Bow and "his gang"

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Bow and "his gang"

Postby TheFatPanda » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:17 pm

In 254, Bow was confirmed to still exist in the new continuity, but we haven't heard anything more since...

What's his role now? Are "his gang" the Crazy Critter Freedom Fighters (or the probably the "Avalon Freedom Fighters" now)? Does he have a completely new group of teammates? Is he even the same character? Does he still talk like Rob'O? Is Thorn the Lop still with him?
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Re: Bow and "his gang"

Postby Meliden » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:33 pm

From what Ian's said, only one person from Avalon is going to pop up again any time soon, so you may be waiting a while longer for answers.

Personally, I don't see why Bow can't have all his pre-reboot team back (minus Friar Buck), they were all Ian's creation and aren't heavily dependant on off-limit materials.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Mobotropolis » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:09 pm

Besides nixing Buck I don't see a reason why anything needs to change.

Avalon was ruled over by a nondescript King until the Fire Nation attacked Eggman came. The King and most of the Kingdom was lost, but some of the mobians animals that made it into the forest formed a Freedom Fighting Group to protect the survivors from -- erm -- Lord Hood I think is his name. Bow is the leader of the Avalon Freedom Fighters, but is reluctant to take the position of King until he knows for certain the old King isn't coming back.

So -- pretty much the same situation as before, only they never specify who their King was. Furthermore the situation will never be resolved as not to disrupt the Status Quo and whatnot.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:18 pm

Mobotropolis wrote:Besides nixing Buck I don't see a reason why anything needs to change.

Avalon was ruled over by a nondescript King until the Fire Nation attacked Eggman came. The King and most of the Kingdom was lost, but some of the mobians animals that made it into the forest formed a Freedom Fighting Group to protect the survivors from -- erm -- Lord Hood I think is his name. Bow is the leader of the Avalon Freedom Fighters, but is reluctant to take the position of King until he knows for certain the old King isn't coming back.

So -- pretty much the same situation as before, only they never specify who their King was. Furthermore the situation will never be resolved as not to disrupt the Status Quo and whatnot.

But archie characters CAN have the status quo changed. IF there was, say, a Sonic Universe story centered around defeating Lord Hood, and the status quo DIDN'T change, that would be a waste.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby PC the Hedgehog » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:27 pm

As said, Bow and Lord Hood still exist in the new comic universe, so I see no reason the other Avalon characters can't.

Except Friar Buck, of course.
PC the Hedgehog
BumbleNoble

Postby Mobotropolis » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:14 pm

But archie characters CAN have the status quo changed.

Just because it can doesn't mean it will.

For like .. reasons:

- Bow's primary function will be to assist the more popular protagonist. The chance that he'll get to have his own arch to solve his own problems are pretty much null.

- A part of trying to " start over fresh " with the Reboot is not treading over pre-Reboot storylines. Because of that, it's plausible that they may not even mention that Avalon ever had a King or anyone in charge besides Bow.

- We'll only see Avalon maybe once every five years. Bow will be the protagonist's point of contact so who is actually in charge doesn't matter. It's unlikely we'll see any truly political stuff when face-punching can be done.

I guess you could counterpoint that Lupe moved from being a Freedom Fighter Leading to a Chief in one of her last pre-reboot archs. To that I'd say ... did it really matter? She served the same function as a Chief as she did when she was a Freedom Fighter. She was the leader and representative of her people in both cases. I figure the reason she became a Chief was that it played into the plot, and that the Cat Queen wouldn't even acknowledge Lupe if she wasn't in a position of power.

Could that happen for Bow? Maybe, but does it matter?
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby Spin » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:23 pm

I don't know. On one hand, it'd be nice to have characters back from the old continuity.

But on the other, the contributing factor to Mercia was the Robin Hood mythos. And I think Rob O Hedge is too deeply integrated in the concept. Even when he wasn't in Chaotix Quest and mentioned vaguely for legal reasons, you could still feel his presence.

As Ian had to rework things in the reboot, seemingly with the Arthurian theme. Starting fresh with a new team might be better. Bow and Thorn are all original due to the edit job. But Munch and Alan are still parodies of Robin Hood characters. And while we lost Merlin Prowler, we had the actual Arthur character referenced in Sonic and the Black Knight.

Even if you change Munch and Alan into knights, it almost doesn't sit right with me. It'd be like if Sega told Archie they could no longer use Sonic anymore in the comic. But could still keep the license. The Freedom Fighters would feel odd if Sonic suddenly disappeared out of the blue and they plopped Knuckles in as the new replacement main character.

If the new Avalon Freedom Fighters are a mashup of random British folklore character parodies and not just Arthur and Robin Hood. Maybe.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby Penguin God » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:51 pm

I am all for an awkward mishmash of multiple English myths, as long as it gets creative with that as a basic concept.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Vampfox » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:14 pm

I still don't understand why Archie can use Bow but not Shard. In the Chaotix SU arc Bow was pretty much just Rob with a different character design and name. With Shard on the other hand the only thing that's holding him back from reappearing in the new reset world is the Power Gem which can be replaced with a different item.

So why is "Not" Rob safe but Shard isn't?
Vampfox
BumbleCult

Postby Penguin God » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:17 pm

Because Shard explicitly said he was the old Mecha Sonic. Bow is conceptually similar but is explicitly a different character who needs no relation to anything that can't be used. Bow is not Rob. Shard IS an original character debuted in old continuity without a contract.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Mobotropolis » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:21 pm

we had the actual Arthur character referenced in Sonic and the Black Knight.

You know, I would love Merlina.

Spoiler: show
Especially as an Egg Boss.

She could be New-Regina. :shock:

I still don't understand why Archie can use Bow but not Shard.

Bow is Ian's creation. He is not Rob in any way, shape, or form.

Since Shard is derived from a character introduced by another author it's legally complicated who actually owns that character. Rather than spend time and money sorting out who a minor character who isn't vital to the narrative belongs to he got tossed out with the rest.

It's unfortunate that it happened, but it happened.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby Vampfox » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:46 pm

Mobotropolis wrote:Shard is derived from a character introduced by another author it's legally complicated who actually owns that character.

It's really not complicated. Shard stated out as a Metal Mecha Sonic so that makes him a Sega character. The problem is that his power gem was created by Penders. It's really not that much of a problem since Ian could easily change it to something else.
Vampfox
BumbleCult

Postby Meliden » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:59 pm

Even if it was changed to something else, Penders could just say that the concept of a Metal/Mecha Sonic driven by any sort of significant source was conceptualised by him. He may or may not have done, but Archie won't take that chance.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby TheFatPanda » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:26 pm

So why not just NOT have him run on some kind of power source at all?
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby Meliden » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:29 pm

TheFatPanda wrote:So why not just NOT have him run on some kind of power source at all?

Because then he'd be visually identical to Metal Sonic 3.0 without it. You'd have to modify him in some way, even if not with the power source.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius